Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The good old days.....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,365 ✭✭✭Dunedin

You should have got a grape……. Much easier

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,740 ✭✭✭✭Water John

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,640 ✭✭✭Cavanjack

Weather times were better or worse one thing for sure is that farmers were better off than most. My father built his house and paid for it all in 78. He milked 35 cows and bought a second house in 83 for cash. Bought a Brand new car in 86 and was able to put money away until the mid 90’s when he bought near 50 acres.

He Reared a family of 5 and my mother never worked outside of the house. sound like a better time to be a farmer than now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,893 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

I did all that too. I even milked a cow by hand, for the house for a few years. In contrast to all that, I remember last year sitting up on the contractors new Fendt with air conditioning and nearly nodded off with the comfort. You can keep the hardship of old.

'If I ventured in the slipstream, Between the viaducts of your dream'

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭Rusheseverywhere

Should be fairly similar Blue was launched Dec 71 and the report from 13 months later Feb 73, referencing the 1972 and earlier cattle prices. 100k now for a new 110 hp tractor.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,335 ✭✭✭✭Base price

I previously posted about mortgage interest rates hitting 23%. My off farm work take home pay covered the monthly repayments and left IR£35 in my bank account. On the flip side deposit interest rates hit 15% which was great for any with money in the bank.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,459 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

Not remotely comparable though to the old Ford.

I'd bet you could buy a basic spec 2wd 90hp tractor for less than half of the €100k.

Anyone who got the cow numbers up early in the 70s was ahead of the posse, by that I mean over 40 cows.

You are right a Tumosan is about 50k to 55k. for a 95HP. Never seem one outside of a Show

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,602 ✭✭✭kk.man

Yes they were well off farmers with good set up for the times. They were not the norm however, I'd say every parish had a couple.

Comparing cattle prices as a measure of tractors is like comparing sports stars of the past versus now. You just can't do it with accuracy.

• Advertisement

A bottle of grapes might have made the fork less painful, that day.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,209 ✭✭✭Good loser

I bought 5 horned cattle around 5.5 cwt ( 3 and 2) for less than £30 each in Sept 1967 and sold in mart for around £75 in mid 1968. Delighted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭memorystick

We had Opal Records as did all of the farmers around. Borrowing a spare wheel for a trip to Dublin was common.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,768 ✭✭✭Dakota Dan

Bales silage was bagged up to the late 80’s, it wasn’t until 89 that the wrappers arrived.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭kerryjack

Was at the first demo down our way and farmers wasn't that Impressed at the time, lucky bags they called them the wrapping changed the game there. As regards the old days there was a way more drinking and going to mart was some day out, no drives to football training you got on your bike and away with you, there was a lot more help and contact with neighbours, there was the odd row as well and pulling calfs with out a jack was another thing seen things that will never again be seen and if they were we would get jail.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,492 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Back breaking labour. Welts on your hands from using the pike. Death trap tractors and trailers falling apart on the road. Using dangerous chemicals without ppe. DDT the miracle substance. Fcuk all that.

The old people were very hard on animals too. Anything that moved was flaked with sticks, including dogs and children.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

As you mention sports stars…

Some of the top cutters in Waterford Glass factory were apparently paid £1,000/week in the 80s, which is what the First Division soccer players in England were getting at the same time.

’De glass’ is long gone and Premier League players wouldn’t get out of bed for that money now.

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,602 ✭✭✭kk.man

Yes i heard they were on 1k a week back then....massive money... i doubt there is any of it left either!...they enjoyed it in the moment

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,104 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

But on the other side, you wouldn't directly apply that same logic to other goods. You wouldn't try to directly compare the affordability of a top-of-the-range car back in 1980 with the affordability of a car with the same specs today (which would probably be an entry level car). The cost of technology can come down a lot since then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,185 ✭✭✭emaherx

But tractors are very different, for a start there were no "luxury" models in the 70's just a small selection of HP options.

Tractor development through the 60's, 70's to the mid 80's consisted of new tinwork paint colours and adding indicators / brake lights and improved cabs plus a few new higher HP models. From the mid 80's they very much split into ranges with features never seen before alongside the more basic models. By the 2000's the most basic models were dropped in this part of the world by the main brands even though they still make them in other parts of the world, MF for example still build 200 and 300 series tractors or at least commission them to be built by smaller manufactures such as Tafe. Several new budget brands now exist in the Irish market selling 90HP tractors under 50K with specs which on paper at least seem to compare to 90's tractors with 4WD 12X12 manual shuttle gearboxes but will have a lot to prove to build brand confidence.

In the 70's farms bought tractors spec'd to the minimum HP to meet the work requirements of the farm and were more likely to work them hard, today many tend to over spec them and still contract all of the field work out.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,251 Mod ✭✭✭✭K.G.

We ve one of those ariel photos from the 80 s and one of the lads was looking at it the other day and asked why did you park the tractors there.couldnt u derstand why there was no a battery in them

The starter or dynamo were probably shagged as well.😯

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

We used to back the Major up the hill in the haggard too 😀

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

We used to park the fiat on de hill with a hammer holding up the handbrake!. Biggest change I saw was the movement from vans and Peugeot to Jeeps. 3 or 4 of us pushing cars was a regular occurrence also, u don't see it anymore

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 625 ✭✭✭Silverdream

In many ways the youth today have it a lot harder in Ireland. My own daughter and her husband both work in good jobs in Dublin but could not afford to save after all bills were paid. Ended up having to go to the Bank of Mum and Dad to help them get on the property ladder. What they got for there money up in Dublin would sicken you. They've a big mortgage now, a 1960s corporation type house that I'm sure the original owners got from the council. There's f-all for the young crowd starting out, I remember when we built our house it cost £49,000 but we got a government grant of £3000. What do they get now days?

Too much tied up wealth in the country now, it's turning into a place only for old folks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭have2flushtwice

When i worked for a neighbour early 1990s.

The Paasat started the 135.

The 135 pulled the crystal to get it going after easy start.

The crystal then hooked up to the 1600l slurry tank.

My job was to spread the slurry.

I could barely reach the pedals.

It stalled a lot.

More smoke came out of the farmer that year than out of the crystal.

Dosing cattle with bottles.

I remember a lad here got a new box type lwb trooper in 1990ish. Was a real head Turner at the time.

Bringing new born calves in from the field with a wheelbarrow and sometimes a cross cow to watch as well. Same for lambs.

Baler twine fixed everything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,185 ✭✭✭emaherx

Definitely on the housing front, but the eighties were no bed of roses either with lower rate of employment and high interest rates.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭Kevhog1988

I know how your daughter feels. . Its not a nice thing is imagine to have that conversation with your parents but they are lucky they had someone like you to turn to.

in my own case i worked my stones off during the recession in England and ended up buying a bit of land (7 acres) back home. Planning in kildare is so prohibitive and costly that we couldn't take the risk on paying for plans etc to be turned down so purchased a house further out from Dublin where housing is affordable but the commute Is longer.

Dont want to be stung with a massive mortgage and not able to pay it if there was another crash so I'm living in lovely leitrim now. I love the area down here and people are lovely but the 4 hrs a day in the car is a killer if I'm in Dublin for work (usually 3 days per week). Not complaining too much though. Others are in far worse situations than me

Post edited by Kevhog1988 on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,755 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Remember been driven around in an old Cortina stuffed with bits of baler twine, hay, several Collies etc. while watching the road from the rust gap in the floor - simpler times for kids entertainment😉

• Advertisement

Interest rates pretty high now. My own are 9.75% secured; on a decent six figure sum. One thing definitely gone are neighbours and visiting. Also farm I am on in 40s, 50s and 60s had employment for farmer, 2 full time workmen with stamps etc paid for them and 2 plus casual . Even up to 90s we had lad in a few days a week. Now I struggle to make living from it.

Advertisement