Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Permanent food market

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,347 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Herbert Park has a huge food market, not sure which day it's on, but sounds similar. And the canal at Baggot St on Thursday is similar.

And I'm fairly sure Marlay Park has one as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,474 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

Herbert park looks to be open in a Sunday between 11-4 according to google maps.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,850 ✭✭✭Ezeoul

Found this if anyone is interested! Its about the food truck markets.

Who, when and where.

I used to love the one on the canal on Thursday, and would try something new if I could.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,347 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

This seems like a useful link - not sure how up to date it is, mind you.....

https://iomst.ie/markets/

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,529 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

it's good, but it's in an industrial estate one day a week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭Hodors Appletart

Love H2G, we go down regularly to get coffee and sort a nice dinner for saturday evening from stuff on sale there, the big stall with the olives, hummus and other stuff like that is brilliant.

Two butchers with great meat, and a fishmonger too. There are some good artisanal producers there as well, and they all love a chat.

There's also a monthly market in Farmleigh that is like a mix of fresh produce to bring home, and things like crepes, indian food and such to eat there

• Must return there, once went to it once and found it terrific 😃 with a really nice location

• In the mid 1980s I was at the Quincy market in Boston, very nicely located in Faneuil Hall, remember being really impressed as we had nothing at all like it in Ireland at the time. Loved buying “chocolate coffee”, some Mexican type food and yummy American cake and eating it outside on one of the many seats in the sun amid a great atmosphere. Trying to explain the concept when I returned home was an uphill battle 🤣 as Irish folk couldn’t grasp this concept of “restaurant counters” with common seating, much of it outdoors.

Next time I came across this concept was in Singapore, just loved it and wished so much we could have this at home.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,471 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,792 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,440 ✭✭✭orangerhyme

30m sounds too cheap.

Whatever it costs, it'll be worth it.

Great for the community. It's a real touristy area now also with Guinness and other attractions so would get plenty of footfall in tourist season. Lots of hotels and students nearby also.

It's also the type of place people would check out on a Saturday. The Marina market in Cork does very well.

I guess the ideal would be a food market and maybe an arts/crafts/designer section.

Similar can be done in the Fruit and Veg market near Capel St.

Dublin is big enough and they're far enough apart to support both.

I don't think money is the problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭downtheroad

There are loads of food truck markets around Dublin. The food is incredibly expensive though, considering you aren't getting a table or service. It's glorified takeaway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,850 ✭✭✭Ezeoul

I haven't been to any of the others, and the last time was pre-Pandemic, so I wouldn't be surprised if the prices have shot up!

It used to be a nice lunch on a Thursday though, and a chance to try something new. I don't live or work near any of them now. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 20,054 ✭✭✭✭neris

There's a food market in Howth. Lots of little food bars and coffees with a few little gift shops

This thread could end up being a go to place for food market locations!

Seems to be open every weekend including bank holidays and the front 5 units are open 7 days a week.

4.3 star google review.

Well done everyone, we did it

The Martin Barry Group has taken a lease on St Andrew’s Church on Suffolk Street in Dublin 2, and aims to have the landmark building open as a food hall and multipurpose hospitality and cultural experience event space in the first half of 2025.

About 250 jobs are expected to be created in hospitality and management roles at the food hall, the company says.

The group operates three food halls in Prague and one in Berlin, under the Manifesto Market brand, including what it describes as “Europe’s largest food hall”, which opened in Berlin at Potsdamer Platz in January of this year, in the first phase of a global expansion plan. The Berlin Manifesto Market has more than 20 food vendors, along with a beer tower, bar and wine room, spread over 4,400sq m.

There will be space for 12 food vendors at the Dublin site, a mix of “small and medium independent chefs, restaurateurs and operators” and a mix of “first-time businesses with novel concepts, as well as established chefs with fine dining experience”, the company says.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,490 ✭✭✭BlueSkyDreams

Great to see it finally happening. Not sure why it takes 18 months, but great news!!

Google should have their market open in GCD next year and there will be a large food market at Malahide castle.

Wouldnt bet a dime on DCC delivering anything. The council are useless. So Smithfield, Iveagh markets etc are off the table.

Thankfully, we have some private companies that know what they are doing & The St Andrews Church in particular will make a killing and will hit the tourist guides as a must see if done well.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,880 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Dublin buskers would be more likely to drive trade away than anything else, 90% of them are painful to listen to.

The Dublin Airport cap is damaging the economy of Ireland as a whole, and must be scrapped forthwith.

• Advertisement

Just back from Lisbon. And yeah. Why cant we have something like this. Brand it if we have to.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭IRE60

Brilliant Place. Spent many a good evening there, eating local produce and drinking beers/wine – and chatting to people I never met before and probably won't again!

Decent market in Belfast as well if you are in the area

• Registered Users Posts: 3,490 ✭✭✭BlueSkyDreams

The St Andrews Church market should resemble that one.

Still hopeful the Google one will be decent also.

Smithfield Market will eventually get there...we just have a terrible council so best to leave it to the private industry.

The council plans to reopen the market as a continental-style retail food market. A tender for conservation and refurbishment works on the Victorian building is due to issue by the end of this year, the council said. “When this construction phase is under way a tender process to engage an operator to fit out and operate the new retail market will issue.”

• Registered Users Posts: 8,471 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

It amazes me sometimes living in Dublin how, when things go wrong, how quickly DCC can get things done.

A couple of weeks ago an old lady living round the corner from here, accidentally hit the accelerator as opposed the brake and crashed into a lamppost. One of the original 1920’s ornate types.

Two hours later, a contractor was round fixing it.

Yet, the same council took 19 years to build the flats on one side of Dominick Street in the centre of town. (They have yet to decide what to do with the other side).

I hope they outsource everything to do with the new market…….🙏🤞

Post edited by Gloomtastic! on

• Registered Users Posts: 34,880 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

The council made a monumental f-kup of this property 20+ years ago and they really ought to be ashamed of themselves having allowied a private developer to take control and then let it fall into ruin with no consequences.

The nearby Mother Redcaps isn't so important architecturally but was culturally, again let fall into ruin on DCC's watch.

The Dublin Airport cap is damaging the economy of Ireland as a whole, and must be scrapped forthwith.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,290 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Cork has the Marina Market in an old docks warehouse and people trek down to it.

Advertisement