Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

DCM 2023 Mentored Novices Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7 wickowmom

I didn’t run at all for 4 weeks before my best marathon……really felt strong. I did go to the gym and use the cross trainer and weights though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭Seifer

Got all the runs I wanted to do in. Hyper-aware of every little niggle on the long run yesterday but was at the physio at lunch today for a pre-marathon loosen up so that will help with the psychology of the taper as well.

Hopefully a few degrees warmer for the marathon morning than the last two days. Planning to run in a singlet but was in long sleeves yesterday. Obviously going very slow but my marathon pace isn't exactly a massive heat generator either. At the moment the forecast is looking like it will be good 🤞

Will be focusing on getting to bed a bit earlier and generally taking care of myself for the next two weeks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,836 ✭✭✭Trampas

Go off to pennies and buy a cheap hat and gloves. Worse chase you fling them away rather than your favourite ones. Remember you’ll be running for hours so more than likely you’ll be warmed up in a few km or miles. Dress for later in the race than the start. If wearing a top over a singlet let’s say then don’t pin your number to the top. You just lift your top to show your number to get into the wave.

Just stick to your plan to keep the legs moving. If you want an extra rest day then take it or cut the distance down for the day. You’re not going to get any fitter between the day. It’s just keeping yourself topped up and sharp with the runs. You’ll hear stories or see on strava of x doing a crazy y session but just ignore all that stick your plan and you’ll be all fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭MiniMonstera

Thinking a lot about race day gear too with the temp drop lately. Definitely going to have gloves that I can discard soon after starting and I'm seriously considering sleeves as I want to wear a singlet. They might annoy the feck out of me but if I got the first few kms out of them and warmed up I think it would be worth it. I have a lot more body fat than himself so if he can manage a singlet maybe I can too... I'm not doing a rain jacket though. They retain heat and I just find them generally uncomfortable /noisy/chaffey. On my 32km in full on persistent rain the light rain jacket did not help, in fact it hindered me, comfort wise. Praying there's no rain on the day but if there is I'll just have to embrace it and tell myself I've ran in the rain a lot already.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,836 ✭✭✭Trampas

Running 11 years and hardly ever ran with a rain jacket bar maybe a handful of times for a race warm up or cool down. Where I left it in the car. Unless your out in the mountains or something you really shouldn’t need one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,512 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Easily discardable layers, hats, gloves, arm warmers are the way to go. Proper arm warmers can be expensive but the old tip was to buy a pair of girls' leggings in Penney's for a few euro and use them instead. Discard at your leisure (although when I discard layers I always try to throw them towards a bin or a person who might put them in a bin or otherwise recycle them). Wearing layers you can't easily get rid of is asking for trouble, unless this is something you've practiced a lot in long runs. No need to panic just because we've had a couple of colder days. Irish weather is temperate, and the risk of it being too warm is far greater than too cold, and cool weather is ideal for marathon running. In fact one of the great things about autumn marathons is that you often get the benefit of a cool day having trained in much warmer, tougher conditions during the summer. Pray for a cool one!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,471 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

Yeah I’m planning on wearing a singlet also 🥶

I’ll have old gloves and hat on that I can get rid off after a km or 2.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 747 ✭✭✭MisterJinx

I'm a singlet too and shorts. I had an old rain jacket that I got rid of at the start last year just to keep warm while waiting around but it was actually very warm last year. This year will be huddy and if cold a pair of gloves.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,777 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Thermal tights are the biz as arm warmers! They're good and snug, and comfortable. Buy them in Dunnes/Penneys/Aldi/Lidl, cut the legs free... taadaaah😁

I've even cut a little thumb hole in them so I can stretch them down over my hands as gloves, AND cut a hole in the wrist so I can see my watch 😁 I've used them for a couple of marathons now, and because they're cheap, I have no worries with discarding them, though if it's a changeable day, I've also rolled them down to my forearms to cool off, then needed to roll 'em back up again when it may get a bit chilly (wind whipping down the Crumlin Road, I'm looking at you 😖)

Definitely agree with not wearing layers that you can't offload easily. In late October, the mornings can start off bitterly cold, but by noon and beyond, it can get surprisingly warm.

Best of luck to all of the novices of 2023! Class mentoring all the way through! I'll be looking forward to the post-marathon reports! Have a brilliant day 😊🥳💪

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,216 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

Also remember that the clocks go back the night before, so it's sort of an hour later than it appears on paper.

E.g. the 9:45 wave 4 start time would be this week's 10:45, so extra time for the day to heat up (not too much hopefully!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,700 ✭✭✭rovers_runner

Signage for those so inclined.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Legits

Hi All,

Training is still going well feeling a bit meh with the reduced volume and effort. I have kept the paces easy but have had a few niggles soelus and tibia muscle on the other leg. I have committed to taking it ultra easy this week Physio thinks it could just be the build up from the past few weeks and are only overuse/tendonitis type injuries.

Have my race gear ready to go this is my first taper and to be honest I already feel refreshed already so just need to deal with the mental side of feeling like I am becoming detrained.

Excellent idea re tights and girls leggings as arm warmers @Murph_D and @DBB ! I have eleventy million pairs of each 😁

Post edited by MiniMonstera on

How's everyone feeling so far this week?

Nervous energy definitely is building up for me!

I don't think it it has anything to do with the tapering as it's been a fairly typical week so far, or at least it's only been 2k in total less than some weeks in the block were at this point, I think it's just anticipation that it's so close!

I said I'd try out a pair of the arm sleeves, so I have ones arriving tomorrow. While I also have eleventy million pairs of kids leggins here, my kids are too small! They were fairly cheap on Amazon anyways.

Probably won't wear them for the marathon at this point, but it's definitely getting harder to motivate myself to get out in the cold and rain, so any bit of comfort would be nice 😅.

Probably more of a concern for post marathon as I only have 4 training runs left and a 20min shake out run next Saturday.

Someone on the run group shared an image that had the sentiment that

"the marathon is made up of the 100s or maybe 1000s of KM, the finish is the last 42.2"

At least for me it's just 23k left to get to the finish!

Feeling a bit nervous now that it's almost upon us. I've been grand the last few months - the marathon was always in the future, down the road. But now I have that feeling - you know when you keep putting something off until you get to the stage where you can put it off no longer - ya that's me!!

Someone asked me this morning do I feel ready, do I feel I've enough training done? And my answer was yes I think so. I've followed the plan as laid out by my club, have missed the odd run but I don't think I've missed any long runs. I don't think I've ever followed a training plan as well as I have done this past 4 months. If I've followed the plan, then surely I must be ready. There's nothing more I can do.

• Advertisement

Feeling a bit nervous after this mornings run the 10k was a bigger slog than it should have been I did it at an avg pace of 5:56 with an avg hr of 144bpm. On the 31st of August before alot of my harder longer runs I did the same run with the same hr in 5:33 pace.

Is it common to lose some tempo speed in Marathon training im nervous now ive been running too slow I know its been said many times thats not possible but I think I managed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

Don't be worrying. Slow easy runs do you no harm whatsoever, the opposite is the truth.

Paces can vary hugely when running by HR. I do it myself and can vouch for the fact. There are so many factors which influence HR on any given day.

Also, don't forget to allow for the fact that you are just over the peak training weeks. The next 10 days will return the freshness to the legs and body.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭T-Bird

Well darn you @witnessmenow 🤣 I just went on to Amazon and got some sleeves and rain ponchos 🤣... They were only cheap but I do see them quite often when I'm at other races.

I think I had slight withdrawal symptoms earlier in the week from not running as my sleep has gotten bad again. I am deliberately taking the rest/recovery days off but feel at a loss a bit. I have strides this evening so might help a bit.

I did last weeks 3 8k runs in 3 different pairs of shoes and know what I'm wearing on the day now, so that's sorted.

The RDS is a bit of a pest coming from Sligo. We are going to stay a couple of nights in Swords and I'll be going up from their on the day so have to look at that. My wife says there are a few options, I will look nearer the time.

I'm trying not to think of nerves and am trying to keep them at bay. I suffer quite a bit from stress and anxiety so my tactic to get around it is to try to switch it off, otherwise it will keep me awake at night.. However, saying all that, I 'm looking forward to it big time..

Post edited by T-Bird on

Does this make me a running influencer I hear so much about?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 275 ✭✭j2

The great thing about running I've noticed in my few races so far is that nerves can be at boiling point, but once the event actually starts I find they disappear immediately, which is definitely not the case with more skill based sports! Also I think nerves leading into the race have something to do with the fabled race day boost, it kind of gives you a bit of added endurance. Bring on the nerves basically.

• Advertisement

I think the best thing to do with pre race nerves is to lean into them. Enjoy them. View them as fuel. Embrace the adrenalin surge. Jump on the spot whilst you're in the pit waiting to go! I actually love pre race nerves (the ones right before the gun), the atmosphere and feelings are unreal

I must admit I'm having a few intrusive thoughts about toilets on the day. Still need to sit down and look at the route and see where they're located etc. I'm having a real dilemma to caffeine or not to caffeine the morning of (double espresso). It's risky but its could also address the issue and thus relieve anxiety about it...

I have similar problems but will be taking imodium the day before and on the morning. No guaranteeing it will work but a few on HealthUnlocked have recommended it. I've taken it a few times on other races. However, I wouldn't recommend it for the day if you haven't taken it before.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 283 ✭✭TheRef

Sorry if anyone is having dinner. Obviously "the woods" is not quite the same as the middle of Crumlin Road, but interesting points about fiber and immodium.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭Lazare

I noticed my HR to be higher than normal during my taper (I just ran Amsterdam). I think it's possible that the taper itself can cause it, your body is in full on recovery mode. Add to that the general taper madness/anxiety.

Basically, don't worry about it, it's probably a sign you're doing the right thing.

I should have really tested out Imodium. Annoyed with myself now. Will definitely limit fiber a day or two before and maybe steer clear of caffeine also, rather than utilising it

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,777 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Did any of ye that are martyrs to your tummies have a listen to the Lusk AC podcast that was posted on the DCM Strava account today?

There was a sports nutritionist on, and whilst I was not in agreement with everything she said, she outlined a number of things to avoid in the days leading up to, and on the day of the marathon.

They included one we all know... fibre.

Also fructose (this one surprised me)... and foods that are very rich in fructose include honey (yep, the stuff we all lash onto the porridge 🤯), apples, pears, mangoes. Honey can be replaced with maple syrup.

She recommended switching to lactose-free milk in the lead-up, just to eliminate lactose as a common digestive irritant. This us also going to mean avoiding soft cheese, and cream. Hard cheeses, good quality yoghurt, and butter are very, very low in lactose having gone through fermentation or processes that burn up lactose.

And caffeine... not to be taken unless you know you're OK with it.

She also recommended avoiding pasta, as it is inclined to cause bloating. Instead, she suggested spuds, rice, breakfast cereals that you know you're okay with, home-made flapjacks (without honey), crumpets, pancakes, and our old favourite, Tuc and Ritz crackers 😋

She also recommended taking care not to fill yourself with protein when it's suitable carbs we need to load up on.

Hopefully there's something here that might help anyone here with gastro issues! I totally get your worries, my first DCM was badly hampered by my tummy, so I've gone through quite a long learning process which has included implementing all of the above (apart from the honey part!), as it happens!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭bazwaldo

Are there any designated places where spectators/pedestrians can cross the road?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

The only place there are issues crossing the road is the finishing straight on Mount Street

My arm sleeve things arrived today, I could definitely see them being useful as they are very easy to roll down.

I went out for my run very early this morning , I just woke up very early and it wasn't worth going back to sleep. It was surprisingly warm.

Not sure how much we can trust the forecast this far out, but it looks like it could be wet. I don't really mind running in the rain, I'd take rain over heat for sure. Not sure any of my very long runs were in the rain, so be interesting to see how that works out!

• Advertisement

I think it will be the middle of next week before we are really sure on the weather. It's also not something we can control. Based on the last few months I think we've probably all run in all the weathers :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭bazwaldo

I've been hit with loads of niggles in the last couple of weeks, some more worrying than others. Hoping that taking it very easy this week along with my first ever deep tissue massage this morning will help. I might keep runs to 5km and just every couple of days to keep things moving and try some light beginner yoga. I need to make it the start line and be able to finish. Too much has gone into it to fall at this point. Time goal is out the window to be honest.

ah no, just focus and the rest and recovery. It's not uncommon to feel a lot of niggles at this stage though, not all of them real to be honest. And remember you're coming off a big training block so the body is essentially re-adjusting to a more normal level of activity so some aches and pains could be expected.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 MECA

Same here.. physio yesterday for a niggle in my foot. Recommended to stay off it for another 2-3 days. On top of that I had to have a wisdom tooth out on Wednesday as it was infected. Everything was all too good to be true before this week…

Haven’t run now since Tuesday morning and I I’m imagining cobwebs and rust all over my muscles and joints 😩😩😩.

I wouldn't be bothered by rain either. But if it was torrential I'd deffo be carrying my bodyglide. Rain chafe for 42km would not be appealing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

Relax and allow yourself recover. I’d a back tooth removed during the summer and was not allowed any exercise for the week after. Go for gentle walks or cycles (whichever you are allowed) and get fresh air and you can do a few runs to sharpen you up closed to marathon day.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 kevinfkennedy

Taper Traps

Don't get caught making these common mistakes in the weeks before your big race

BY DAVE KUEHLSPUBLISHED: SEP 6, 2006

SAVE ARTICLE

Three-time marathoner Kris Kelley, 37, of Akron, Ohio, knows that the toughest part of marathon training isn't the first few weeks out the door. Or the slow grinding buildup of mileage. Or even the last sweat-soaked long run of 23 miles, three weeks before the race. No, Kelley knows that the toughest part of marathon training is after all that, when she is walking across the parking lot at Target, and suddenly a sharp pain strikes in her right knee. And there she is, trying to hold back a panic attack. "Never does a pain like that occur in the middle of intense training," she says. "But there is something about those last couple of weeks before the marathon, when you are cutting back your mileage, getting more rest, and preparing for the big race, when everything, and I do mean everything, seems to bother you more."

Call them taper tantrums--the phantom pains, panic attacks, and much more--that plague most marathoners during the three-week period of decreased training just before the race. "Runners develop not only a physical but also a psychological dependency on running," says Troy Smurawa, M.D., a 2:46 marathoner and physician at Akron Children's Hospital Sports Medicine Center. "So when runners take time off, they go through withdrawal." Hence, the weird constellation of mental and physical symptoms that crop up during the taper.

Thing is, if you know what to expect as you back off your training, you'll be better equipped to survive your taper and arrive at the marathon starting line feeling rested and ready to run. To that end, we've outlined the most common mental and physical problems associated with the taper, when they're likely to occur, and how to deal with them so that you can relax, and, dare we say, enjoy your weeks of rest--not to mention race day.

THREE WEEKS TO GO

Trap: Craving Carbs

Symptoms: The urge to stuff yourself with high-carbohydrate foods to ensure a vast supply of energy for the marathon.

Cause: "During those last three weeks, marathoners tend to think only carbs, carbs, carbs," says Vince Rucci, head of the Vertical Runner Marathon Training Group in Hudson, Ohio. But shoveling down the carbs, particularly at the expense of other important nutrients like protein, will make you feel bloated and will accelerate--and inflate--the normal water-weight gain associated with a taper

Solution: During your taper, slightly modify the carbohydrate-based diet you've maintained throughout your marathon training. "Simply emphasize the carbs already in your diet," says Nancy Clark, R.D., a sports nutritionist in Boston. "For example, instead of having chicken with rice, have rice with chicken." Clark recommends taking in 55 to 65 percent of your calories from carbohydrates, 10 to 15 percent from protein, and 20 to 30 percent from fat. Ensure the proteins are low in fat, such as chicken, fish, lean meats, beans, and legumes. 

Trap: The Impulse to Cram

Symptoms: The sudden, irrational urge to "cram" in extra miles and more long runs, speedwork, and other quality marathon training during your taper, especially early on when your body is feeling primed for peak performance.

Cause: "Runners tend to be focused and goal-driven," says Kate Hays, Ph.D., the director of the Toronto Marathon Psyching Team, which offers peak-performance strategies to marathoners. "When they enter a stressful situation, such as the last weeks before a marathon, they rely on actions that have been proven to get results--like the cramming we all did before tests when we were in school." But while all that extra, last-minute studying may have helped you ace a college exam, additional training during your taper will only leave you feeling exhausted come race day.

Solution: "Rational thinking helps," says Hays. Realize that extra mileage and harder training at this point will hurt your marathon, not help it. Research has shown that those who taper properly perform better than those who train right up until race day. To convince yourself that you've done all the work necessary to run a good race, review your training log thoroughly, noting all the weeks of high mileage, long runs, and tough workouts. And no matter how short and easy your runs get during the taper, keep recording your workouts in your log to reinforce the feeling that you are studiously sticking to the plan.

Trap: Pressure to Perform

Symptoms: The overwhelming fear that the time goal you've set and trained for diligently is now somehow much too ambitious (what were you thinking?). 

Cause: Once your peak training is over, it gets harder to feel confident in your abilities to maintain your goal pace. Many marathoners obsess on the five- or 10-minute gap between their goal time and the time they "fear" they might actually run--for example, crossing the line in 4:10, not 4:00, which would somehow make the marathon a failure.

Solution: Insert a couple marathon-pace miles in the middle of some runs during your taper (say two to three miles at marathon pace part-way through a couple of eight-milers) to reinforce confidence in your ability to hold that pace. You should also develop an alternative time goal that you can live with that's five or 10 minutes slower than your ideal goal in case the weather on race day--or your body--just doesn't cooperate.

TWO WEEKS TO GO

Trap: Recovery Rebound

Symptoms: A feeling of strength and complete fitness midway through the taper. Your body is itching to race.

Cause: As your mileage starts to decline after your last heavy training week, your body rebounds. The added rest and the four good months of training you have behind you have strengthened your body and your confidence. 

Solution: No matter how good you feel, don't risk your months of marathon training for a PR or an age-group award at a local 10-K. A strained hamstring that plagues you throughout your marathon could be the subsequent door prize. Instead, re-read your marathon application to get yourself psyched for the big day. And meet with your training buddies for coffee to discuss marathon-day strategies. Also, find something active and productive to do on Saturday or Sunday mornings--say cutting the grass--to take your mind off of racing. Or if you must be around runners, volunteer at a local race. The energy there will give you your "race fix" without ruining your marathon chances.

Trap: Phantom Pains

Symptoms: A totally new pain in the foot, knee, hip, back, or insert-any-body-part here that strikes for no apparent reason.

Cause: Twinges and passing aches are all part of the body's rejuvenation process. "During a taper, tissue repair on the microscopic level causes muscle twitches and sometimes muscle cramps as the body adapts," says Dr. Smurawa. Also, when we run less, and worry more about our marathon, everyday aches and pains-which would normally be ignored--get exaggerated to the point of lunacy.

Solution: Think of each phantom pain as a signal that the body is healing itself and preparing you for the marathon. Since your workouts are now shorter, spend some extra time on your favorite stretches to help relax your body. And if you like whirlpools or long baths, indulge. Also, if you've had massages during other parts of your training, get one this week. It will further aid the healing process.

Trap: Panic Attacks

Symptoms: Every time you feel an ache or start to think about some aspect of the race, you jump to a doomsday conclusion. (I have a stress fracture! The hill at mile nine is going to be the end of me!) 

Cause: Most panic attacks stem from a lack of confidence and a fear of the unknown. "This is a particular problem for first-time marathoners," says Hays. If you've never run a marathon before, or you've never run a particular marathon course, you have no experience to draw from to boost your confidence. 

Solution: Collect all the information you can about the racecourse from your registration materials, the race's Web site, and even personal insight from those who have run it in previous years. If possible, run parts of the course or ride the whole thing. Some races offer guided bus tours of their marathon route the day or two before the event. Knowing everything you can about that hill at mile nine will help you conquer it. You can also come up with solutions to problems that might arise during the marathon, such as how you'll handle a blister or a side stitch, so that you know you'll be prepared to overcome any obstacle.

ONE WEEK TO GO

Trap: Heavy Legs

Symptoms: A tired, heavy feeling centered in the legs, but affecting your whole body, that you get late in a taper. 

Cause: "Tissue repair in the legs during recovery, coupled with the fact that you are storing more carbohydrate and water late in the taper, will make you feel like you do after eating a big meal," says Dr. Smurawa. In other words, you feel like a slug.

Solution: Remember you're not the only one feeling this way. "Just knowing that this is how tapering marathoners are supposed to feel can help curb your anxiety," says Robert Udewitz, Ph.D., a sports psychologist and the director of Behavior Therapy of New York. Also, try a few strides (100-meter sprints) after some of your easy runs. Strides can help knock off the rust, leaving you feeling fresh and ready without overdoing it.

Trap: That Sinking Feeling

Symptoms: A feeling of malaise, depression, and hopelessness, which often accompanies the physical sluggishness that intensifies at the end of a taper.

Cause: "Generally, running counters feelings of anxiety and depression," says Hays. "So as you run less miles, bad feelings tend to crop back up and increase." 

Solution: Take a short-term approach. "You only have to get through the rest of the taper," says Hays. Do a little low-impact and low-intensity cross-training--like pool running--to generate the good feelings you normally get from running. Also, use your downtime to focus on other things that bring pleasure to your life, such as listening to music, cooking, and being with family and friends. And rent some funny movies or read a few joke books to lighten your mood.

Trap: Weight Gain

Symptoms: A couple of additional pounds that show up on the scale at the end of a taper.

Cause: When we eat high-carbohydrate foods to stock our glycogen (energy) reserves, water is stored along with the glycogen. "If you have been chronically dehydrated, that extra water can cause some gain in weight during a marathon taper, since you're running less and not sweating as much," says Clark. 

Solution: Realize that the extra "water weight" will be beneficial during the marathon. It will actually help keep you better hydrated on race day, when it will be released as the glycogen is burned. But you can also do a few practical things to help you cope with this temporary weight gain. Don't weigh yourself during the three-week taper period. And if the feeling of tighter-than-normal clothes causes you anxiety, wear clothes with more forgiving waistbands and drawstrings.

Are you looking to run the best race of your life? 

Our newsletter is the best way to stay up to date on the latest training strategies. 

Email address

LET'S GO. 

By signing up, I agree to the Terms of Use (including the dispute resolution procedures) and have reviewed the Privacy Notice.

This time next week we’ll be all go! 😄 I should be not long arrived in Dublin getting ready to head from the car to baggage area….

"I need to lay out what I need for my marathon next week".... not a sentence I ever thought I'd be saying

• Advertisement

I have the bulk of mine done. I'll walk into town during lunch tomorrow and get supply of gels.I have Clif Bloks and KMC energy bars to munch on.

I'll probably pack a lot of other stuff I don't need but always like to have options for my runs.

Last long run today only 13k was going great till I got a mild niggle in my soleus did it before last year and was out for 2 months it seems to be very slight and only feel it when fully stretched but I am trying to now avoid stretching it. Have a physio appointment for tomorrow but may avoid running for the rest of the week now to let it heal. More than anything this marathon training feels like walking a tightrope of avoiding injury. I'm all set for next week other than this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭py

It's worthwhile having a box/bag for your race day stuff. As the week progresses, drop your kit/fuel/whatever into it so as you're not having a last minute dash to be ready the night before. It'll give you time to buy stuff you're missing too.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 AJ_a_y

The last couple of weeks went average here, very tough mentally, really glad the training block is over, not sure if I could face another lsr, feel drained, legs heavy (doesn't help having small ones up at night and the like). Having a rub tomorrow hopefully that helps, not much excitement yet but that will come, could do with a clean eating week also, have been eating so much lately and have weight on since the start of the plan 😅

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,512 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Good luck all.

A week out, it's a time to go with it. Everyone who has ever done a marathon plan, whether their target is 2 hours or 6 hours has had setbacks. The runs in the final two weeks, depending on your wind-down schedule, are often difficult and uncomfortable. They should be - you are asking your body for a final adaptation that's based around reduced mileage. And your body is supposed to translate into a supreme effort in a matter of 10-14 days. And yet, for that well trained runner, that is what happens.

It's supposed to feel weird and unnatural. But trust it. The work is done.

WEEK 18 - THE FINAL COUNTDOWN 

Where on earth has the time gone!! Here we are, the final week. This time next week you will have run a marathon :-)

Just as with last week, just make sure to keep the paces appropriate - conserve that energy for Sunday! I see from Strava that many peoples easy pace is racing away with them as the legs start to recover and you come off the high mileage, just try and keep it in check as best you can. If you're worried about a niggle then rest might be your friend. Use this week to look back over your training to remind yourself of everything you've accomplished and to reassure yourself that you are as ready as you can be. Be confident in your preparation and get to the start line knowing you have sacrificed a lot for this race and are very well prepared.

Plan|Monday|Tuesday|Wednesday|Thursday|Friday|Saturday|Sunday

HHN1|rest|3m easy|4m easy|2m easy|rest|rest|DCM 23

Boards|rest, cross or 2m rec|2m easy|1m easy, 3m pace, 1m easy|3m easy|rest|2m easy|DCM 23 

If you're injured, it's simple. Don't run. If you're very sick, don't run. If you're just a little bit sick or you wake up with a cold that morning, then readjust your goal a bit but you'll probably be fine.

Everyone should practice their marathon breakfast a few times this week and practice getting up at the same time you will on Sunday week and go through the pre-race routine before your runs. Get into a good routine of getting to bed earlier all week if possible.

Easy to say I know but try not to obsess about the weather this week. There is NOTHING you can do about it except for readjusting your goal a little if it's particularly bad. You've run in all the weathers at this stage so you know what to expect no matter the conditions. If you wake up on Sunday and it's very windy and rainy (which it won't be!) then you're not going to cancel doing the race so just take it as it comes and relax... It's in the hands of the weather gods!

Keep yourselves well hydrated but don't overdo it this week. I used to add the odd electrolyte tablet to my water the 2 days before the race last year.

You may have heard about the idea of carb loading before a race. It's true that we will try and top up our glycogen stores before Sunday, but that's not an excuse to eat all round you this week. A little extra in portion size should do it, with particular focus on simple carbs such as potatoes, rice or pasta. You don't need to stuff yourself the night before and wind up bloated, just a bit extra will do.

@ariana` produced a nice checklist a couple of years ago, so I'll re-use it now. Use the early part of the week to have all this organised, and avoid any last-minute hassle:

- Race outfit is clean and ready to go

- Any additional race kit - waist belt, sun visor, sunglasses etc.

- Body glide if you use it

- Throw away clothes to keep warm beforehand

- Race fuel & hydration

- Evening before meal (you may need to book a restaurant if you're staying in Dublin over-night?)

- Pre-race breakfast (if you're staying in a hotel you may want to check if they provide breakfast or bring your own - porridge pots are very handy for this)

- Pre-race snack (something to eat in the half hour before you start)

- Book bus/train if you're using it to get to Dublin on Saturday

- Check and double check public transport times if you're using it

- Cut your toe nails on Tuesday!

- Pin down arrangements for your supporters to see you on the course

Don't compare yourself to other runners. It's counterproductive and will do nothing for your confidence. You do you.

I'd like to wish you all the very best of luck this week and on Sunday. As we've said before, following this plan and the advice and guidance from the boards community here you are very well prepared for the day, on the start line re-assure yourself that you have put in the work, you have a plan and you are going to execute it well, have yourself a brilliant day and be proud of what you have done, you're part of a very select group in the world who will have run a marathon and after this 18 weeks of training and the big day itself you know why that is.

Also from me a big thank you to everyone here for making this such an enjoyable journey. I've really enjoyed coming to this thread every week and seeing all your updates, thank you for sharing and contributing, it's what makes this thread work year after year, without that it would simply be a plan on a page. A big shout out too to my fellow mentors @skyblue46 and @Kellygirl who have been working hard in the background guiding me and offering their experience to me and you all. And a final shout out to the lurkers of the thread, there are always a few who read along but aren't posters, including @Mrsjinx, best of luck to you all.

Best of luck with the final weeks training, hopefully we will see you in McGratton's for a well deserved drink or two😉 this time next week you will all be the proud owners of your very own DCM medal😊

Post edited by MisterJinx on

• Advertisement

Just back from the physio this morning and thankfully got good news, definitely something I was worried about over the weekend!

I was having some issue with my right foot for the last week or so, originally it seemed like it was just tired/fatigued but towards the end of last week it started to present as a dull pain on the sole of my heel. Dr Google led me to believe it was plantar fasciitis of some description.

PF related stretches were helping with with it, but I decided to see if I could get a physio appointment and was able to get one for first thing in the morning.

Physio said its either very mild PF or maybe even a precursor to PF as I had no additional pain during any of his prodding and stretching exercises, so I caught it early. Got a massage on my calf and shockwave treatment on my heel and he's given the all clear to even continue running during the week after hearing they were shorter runs.

Big weight off my chest! I knew I was able to run on it ok with very minimal discomfort so I was nearly afraid to go to the physio if he advised not to do the Marathon. Stupid logic I know, but I would have been very disappointed to not run it at this stage!

Legitimately thinking what I would tell someone here who presented the same scenario as me is what motivated me to actual go, so thanks for pressuring me into it, even though you didn't even know it was a thing :)

Did all my sessions last week, but I'm probably one of the people @MisterJinx is hinting at with the too fast. Never below MP or anything, but creeping towards it...

On Sunday for my cross training I did 30 mins stretches instead of a walk to rest my foot a bit more.

2 short runs and a shake out run left, I'm really looking forward to getting started and taking on the challenge of it!

I unfortunately won't be able to hang around after the Marathon as I've a party (not for me!) to go to back home that evening, so I almost certainly won't get to meet up with you guys after, but just want to say thanks to everyone for the last few months, the group has been great motivation!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73 ✭✭Learpholl

I'm one of the lurkers called out above as I've done 1 marathon previously(not DCM) but without training much and where I walked a lot so I didn't want to officially join but I've used the boards plan and been following the great advice all along so just wanted to post to say thanks and best of luck to everyone 👍️

The very best of luck to you, have a great day on Sunday

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭py

Don't go changing anything at this stage, other than slowing down. Too much stress on the lower limbs will not help with PF so slow down.

When you have fully recovered from DCM and if you plan on continuing running, then go visit this thread. There are a number of us that are working through it.

I was just in run shop to get 10 Maurten gels. Your man says, dry as anything, "you gonna be taking them from Friday?" 😆

• Advertisement
Advertisement