Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rugby world cup post mortem

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭D.L.R.

That's 8 "bad days" for Ireland at the QFs now. Got to take responsibility for that at some point and stop making weak excuses like "rub of the green" "bounce of the ball" "had an off day" etc. Tedious codology.

Imagine Ireland in a final. Seriously. They'd fkn wet themselves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,592 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

Those 8 days were non-consecutive, 8 different reasons we lost those quarter finals, some we were just unlucky, 1991 for example, some we lacked depth, 2015 for example and some we were just shite, 2019 and 2023

Most years was a mix of these reasons

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,527 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

On that note, several South African players play abroad, including in Ireland. Yet they don't exclude them from their squad, whereas Zebo was excluded (but not Sexton when he went abroad). We really can't afford to do that in future. SA have shown it can be done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,078 ✭✭✭joseywhales

Wait, Zebo would have been the difference against NZ? Maybe he could have replaced Porter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,474 ✭✭✭robbiezero

NZ played 1/4 of the match with 14. Thats hardly them at 100%, not to mind their defending for some of Irelands tries.

They would have taken plenty of "learnings" from that game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,527 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,221 ✭✭✭saabsaab

They risked it and it paid off for NZ. When going all out they will cross the line at times I'd still think it was near 100%

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,694 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

Ah brilliant - you're allowed come on and call people a Muppet.

Thats lovely Boards, thanks very much. I'd hate to see the bit that was edited out😂

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,188 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

SA include players playing abroad because they are incapable of keeping all their players in SA because they can't afford it. They don't have the choice.

Ireland have missed out on absolutely no one of any major consequence because of the rule.

I mean, we were probably lucky to get ahead in 91 in the first place. We were a bad team.

'03 was the first World Cup in which Ireland weren't just an objectively bad team and we were a missed drop goal away from playing Scotland in the QF.

'07 we were crap again. no excuse

'11 I'd rather not talk about, but will never forgive Kidney for

'15 injury apocalypse

'19 we were just not very good and had to play NZ. no real excuse for this either though

'23 we were camped in the 22 in the 82nd minute looking for a winning score against NZ.

I'm not happy about any of this, and it grates massively to be honest. But it's ridiculous that one playoff win 32 years ago and we would avoid all this nonsense like Scotland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭Facthunt

I think plain and simply…. We never thought we would go out at the quarters! Were we getting too big for our boots? Maybe ….. !

As the days go by since defeat it’s a final that definitely got away!

It’s the end of an era for some of this team alright … but definitely not for Irish rugby. I’m very confident everything is looking positive and will be certainly for the near future!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

I love how people on here twist things to try make their own argument.

Did I ever say someone on the Irish team should have been pulled at 30 minutes?

Please tell me where I said or alluded to that?

What I did use as argument is that players who are not playing well, making a real contribution should not be immune from being subbed.

And yes I think Sexton should have been subbed.

All he did for a lot of the match was offload, something different was needed to at least make the Kiwis think a bit.

I also wonder if Hanson should even be on the pitch at all.

As for match other night.

AFAIK Libbok's out of hand kicking is usually not that bad, his major issue appears to be off the tee.

But get this, the SA management copped on it was a mistake and changed it.

Good management teams realise when things are going wrong and not working meaning changes are needed.

They are quickly reactive.

Irish management teams, and as we have seen recently it aint just rugby, appear to sit there thinking things will miraculously change.

Yes Kolbe was on the pitch and ideally if they had the luxury could have been subbed for someone way bigger, but maybe the management saw the need to sub others in preference.

After all it is a management team that have managed to win a world cup, so I would give them benefit of the doubt.

Also probably every management team that has won a world cup have rotated their squad more than us.

Isn't it about time some people cottoned on to the fact that it appears to work out better than just always using the tried and tested first team.

I am not allowed discuss …

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,617 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

I agree with what your saying, and would go further.

The players in the SA squad know they are only one cog in the wheel, equally important and equally irrelevant.

That culture is one that means they have been able to survive the loss of Am, and Mapimpi, they have not got a top level 10, as in a 10 that is considered in the top 5 in the world.

Now i dont really want to contrast this with Ireland and people are going to disagree but I think the Ireland team has a culture that had become a little stale, relied on previous form being the greatest indicator of future performance and specifically in the number 10 jersey a person who became bigger than the team and management allowed this to happen.

Sexton not getting subbed with 10 / 20 mins to go showed the negligence that was taken towards the success of the team and the lack of succession planning in general.

The irish management simply put did not have enough faith in their substitute 10 playing for any length of time over a tired and poorly performing 38yr old and that probably comes from having a 10 on the bench who didnt have enough game time at this level.

I think that was a big mistake, but argue the toss if you want and then consider that if the management were right, crowley wasnt good enough, they why was he on the bench with an ageing 10 starting who has a long history of injury.

The irish team needs to adopt more of a culture where everyone is a spoke in the wheel. It doesnt matter if you are a raw kid or a hardened veteran your reputation isnt worth a penny, your caps done matter, your last game is irrelevant.

Sexton was not performing poorly.

You do not get 50m up the pitch over 30 off phases with a poorly performing 10. Also the breakdown of the attach had literally nothing to do with him. It's such a bizarre thing to focus on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,128 ✭✭✭OldRio

I've never seen another International player get the Shepard crook After 30 minutes. It just doesn't happen. SA realised he was having an utter mare and that's that. Given the conditions and game plan the coaches implemented they should also soldier some responsibility. (They got lucky at the end of the day. To win you also require luck.)

I've seen it, though maybe not at international level.

It was a bad gameplan for the conditions and team and the coaching team were floundering not being assertive. Realistically England replacing their props is what won SA that game, not anything they did.

He wasnt playing well. By the last 10 minutes he couldnt even run.

The bench should have been emptied.

Im sure the coaches are not happy, but you can be sure the SA fans are happy that the coaches had the courage to make big changes and take off big names and now they have a final to look forward to

The bench was emptied apart from Crowley.

There is literally video of Sexton running in the last 10 minutes and he was still on the pitch for the same reason Dupont was still on the pitch at the final whistle the next day despite 9s almost never playing the full 80.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,559 ✭✭✭Clo-Clo

I didn't twist anything, when I read the post it seemed to suggest Ireland didn't pull off players early in NZ match like SA did. My mistake if I read wrong

Libbok was a mistake before the game even kicked off. It was silly of the Bok management team to not check the weather and know about the rain in forecast. it was no surprise it was raining, was called for days plus the game plan England have is the same as Borthwick has played since he became a head coach.

You can spin any match to suit the argument you want to make but the semi final IMO was poor coaching from the SA team from the start. If they didn't have a scrum at the end they would have lost that game and they would be crucified now by their media for not checking the weather.

Players don't get hooked off after 30 mins because most teams put in proper preparation and normally it happens if they are getting battered, like SA. Just see the images of Rassie before and after half time, have you ever seen him so irate while trying to change the game plan. It also leave them with a huge problem with Libboks confidence and a final to play

Hansen played well till he was taken off, Sexton was also instrumental in the Ireland fightback. Including the long play at the end when he worked the team up to the NZ 22 but then ball was turned over, not Sextons fault.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭10000maniacs

Ireland too many unforced errors turning attack into defence. Even correcting one of those unforced errors could have meant the difference between winning and losing.

All Blacks no unforced errors.

Irelands Line outs were crap. They analysed what South Africa did to Ireland in the line outs and copied them.

All Blacks line outs were excellent.

And the dupont decision was a bad call as well, and hes 12 years younger.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,345 ✭✭✭✭phog

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,534 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

No unforced errors, despite Aki strolling through 5 defenders to score. NZ made plenty of mistakes, we had them under massive pressure. Did you miss the parts where we went coast to coast with the ball on numerous occasions?

I'm aware.

You could argue England lost precisely because they took Dan Cole off also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,345 ✭✭✭✭phog

You keep posting about the two teams that kept on their tried and thrusted as if they won, they lost. Maybe, if either of the coaches had taken a punt on a fresher pair of legs. Farrell in particular could have tried Crowley as someone who can create something, maybe we'd have been in a Semi Final last weekend but no, we left on a tired Sexton and lost. We can die wondering about losing out on our best opportunity

From the match thread

Sexton looks totally gassed.

Sexton looks wrecked.

Yep you could but that would ignore the fact that England lost the last scrum before Dan Cole went off, SA had a fresh front row on so his race was run and had he stayed on he would have been destroyed as well, the coaches made the right call to change him, its just that the player who came on was destroyed as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Sorry, but 2023 Sexton is not on the same planet as Dupont, even an injured Dupont.

I am not allowed discuss …

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭sprucemoose

henry paul

luther burrell too possibly, i cant remember if he made it to half time

i do think there is something in that about JS becoming too important, but in fairness it was working very well up until two weeks ago so hindsight comes into it there

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,098 ✭✭✭Augme

It's a huge ask for pro players, especially Irish pro players. Most Irish players never play games to that level of intensity in such a short space of time. Expecting Irish players to play 4-5 high intensity games week after week is a massive ask.

Every other teams rotate to keep their to rest them and avoid injuries. Again I've no idea why Ireland think not avoiding injuries is important. There's absolutely no reason to not rotate at a World cup, it just doesn't make any sense to play the same core group of players ane expect to go far in the tournament. Again, I don't know we'd play a full team against Scotland either, they're a fairly average team and we should be able to rotate for games like that.

Advertisement