Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hamas strike on Israel - Threadbans in op - mod warning in OP updated 19/10/23

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 82,973 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

This analogy falls apart when Gaza has a far smaller population than Israel and has suffered more than 1400 retaliatory civilian deaths.

I already did the math last week friend using just last weeks numbers, if you want to find the post: if this is 10 9/11s to the Israelis then also it is 128 9/11s to Gaza.

This Kevin bacon argument doesn’t work in Israel’s favor.

But you didn’t actually provide an example of another group calling something Holocaust denial for a couple thousand deaths.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,507 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

That doesn't seem to match up with the definitions I can find, the Hebrew word for "explaining." So, just a pejorative then. Good to know.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Snooker Loopy

I'm not trying to make the analogy against Gaza - I'm making it as a point against the ludicrous Israeli propaganda that the Hamas terrorist attacks were equivalent to many multiples of 9/11 based on the reasoning that Israel has a much smaller population than the United States.

Loss of life from terrorism and blunt air bombing or whatever method should not be measured in proportionate terms based on overall population, but on absolute numbers.

One death from terrorism in Ireland is equal to one death from terrorism in Israel is equal to one death from terrorism in Palestine is equal to one death from terrorism in the US.

You found more results than that. Calling people who question their talking points “antisemitic” is part of the charm.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,088 ✭✭✭Sudden Valley

I'm buying into nothing. I know Hamas doesn't value its civilians but given the number of kids killed the Israelis don't either. You seem to be buying into the Israeli line that every death of civilians is the fault of Hamas. They don't even seem to have estimates of how many Hamas militants they have killed.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

True, there's a university that teaches, well, propaganda techniques for countering anti-semitism/anti-zionism. But, I don't think anyone on the board here ever went there, or took their classes somehow. Obviously there could be overlap between what the university teaches and what some people here espouse, I think coincidence. Calling people 'hasbara' now makes some sense to me - someone that counters anti-Israel/anti-zionism/antisemitic propaganda. Doesn't seem quite so pejorative now that I understand where you're coming from.

Thanks that was my point too in ripping apart the 10 9/11s argument I’d seen propagated by US Secretary of State and other media mouthpieces that have a hard on for wiping out Gaza

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Relax brah

How can Hamas and the UN allow these children be in the firing line?

Conflating criticism of Israel and/or criticism of Zionism as both examples of antisemitism is exactly the trope I am referring to.

Orthodox Jews in the West Bank protesting Israel’s illegal occupation: are they antisemitic?

Bernie Sanders, critical of Israel policies, is he, a Jewish-American man, an anti-Semite?

Is calling out ethnic cleansing antisemitic ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

It seems the US are now sending the USS Eisenhower Carrier strike group to the gulf instead of the eastern Mediterranean, carrier group off Israel, carrier group in the Gulf along with other ships, naval destroyers in the red sea, hundreds of US aircraft and thousands of troops in the region too , pretty much showing others "were here "

• Registered Users Posts: 2,771 ✭✭✭eightieschewbaccy

I think most people view the attack as an atrocity, this shouldn't give Israel the right to commit larger scale atrocities. And the reality is, it's dishonest to say that all Jewish people favour the actions of Israel and many are in fact outraged by it being used to justify them.

No to first two. Is 'From the River to the Sea' antisemitic? Seems like it's antisemitic ethnic cleansing to me.

Criticism of Zionism gets into the 'religious Zionism' vs. 'political Zionism' debate. Zionism is part of the Jewish religion - "Next Year in Israel" is a tenet of their beliefs. Criticizing that is antisemitic. Political Zionism being criticized isn't, in my view, necessarily antisemitic, depends how it's phrased.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,632 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

You think it was interesting that people thought it was Israel after Israel said they were going to bomb the hospital, and then said they had bombed the hospital and having a record of bombing hospitals?

It's more interesting for me that despite this, people insisted it wasn't the Israeli's.

Another interesting thing is how Israel were then able to produce audio clips within 24 hours of the event that were supposedly of Hamas terrorists admitting it was them (an audio clip that was said by experts to be fake) and they simultaneously expect people to believe that the attacks on Oct 7th took them completely by surprise.

Which do they have, incredible intelligence, or no intelligence at all?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,657 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

It's nearly forgotten that there were massive anti-Netanyahu protests in Israel this year. A lot of the Israel cheerleaders in the West are talking as if he is the sole representative of Israel and speaks for all the nation (when many Israelis hate him in fact and want him gone)

Without more context the phrase hardly rises to antisemitism. It’s like saying “make America great again” is a Nazi slogan - you can sure find examples that support the context but does everyone saying that support that context. Same with people who simply support the freedom of people, not the genocide of other people.

So Bernie Sanders is an antisemite how does that work when he is Jewish? If Zionism can be split in so many hairs it really is watering things down to suggest criticism of it is antisemitic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Snooker Loopy

The original charter of the Likud party of Netanyahu states the following. Seems pretty much the exact inverse of the "from the river to the sea" chant.

https://www.jewishvirtuallibrary.org/original-party-platform-of-the-likud-party#:~:text=a.-,The%20right%20of%20the%20Jewish%20people%20to%20the%20land%20of,will%20only%20be%20Israeli%20sovereignty.

The Right of the Jewish People to the Land of Israel (Eretz Israel)

a. The right of the Jewish people to the land of Israel is eternal and indisputable and is linked with the right to security and peace; therefore, Judea and Samaria will not be handed to any foreign administration; between the Sea and the Jordan there will only be Israeli sovereignty.

b. A plan which relinquishes parts of western Eretz Israel, undermines our right to the country, unavoidably leads to the establishment of a "Palestinian State," jeopardizes the security of the Jewish population, endangers the existence of the State of Israel. and frustrates any prospect of peace.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,277 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

I wasn't saying all Jewish people favour the actions of Israel? I know that some don't.

This is the confused messaging that occurs though because the whole trope of calling people antisemitic is to imply they are all against one united people ie. The Jewish race/tribe. When it is more accurate to say the problems gravitate with the far right nationalist government of Israel and the IDF. Israel further entrenched itself with this propaganda by declaring itself the constitutional ethnic state of the Jewish people.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Multipass

It’s not that Hamas doesn’t value its civilians - they are actively working to ensure the maximum dead children from every retaliatory strike on wherever they’ve launched rockets from. This is their propaganda war, and they are wholly responsible for those deaths.

• Advertisement

Who do you think done it?

There was a distinct lack of parading of 500 bodies. Also no missile fragments produced. Those with the evidence failed to produce it.

I perhaps wasn't clear in my last response. Bernie Sanders, who criticizes the Israeli government, is not antisemitic. If you criticize the Jewish religious philosophy of 'zionism', that's antisemitic. If you are against the migration of Jews to Israel (like we see here with people suggesting other places, I've seen Alaska suggested elsewhere), yes, that's antisemitic.

So if the idf had hit the hospital and killed 500 would you have blamed Hamas? I guess you would since you seemed the ascribe the 4 hospitals worth of kids killed in the last 10 days to Hamas too.

The iDF must love supporters like you, no matter how many civilians they kill it will never be their fault or responsibility. Is thus an idf blindspot or do you blame iraqi civilian deaths all on Al qaeda and Afghanistan deaths on the Taliban, Vietnamese deaths on the Vietcong etc etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭beastfromtheEast

So is it also, similarly, Islamaphobic to be against tenets of the Islamic faith? The explanation begets more questions. Can any religion just go ahead and bake in their own homeland they’re allowed to annex to their religious text and we have to respect that or we’re outcast bigots?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,958 ✭✭✭circadian

The world stands by and lets it happen because if you challenge Israel then you are subject to being called an anti-semite/anti-zionist or the latest one, Israelphobic. I very much doubt that the millions of Jews who suffered at the hands of the Nazis would approve of the Israeli state behaving in such a way in their name.

Does this take away or nullify what Hamas done? Of course not, they are ultimately responsible for their own actions just as the Israeli government, in particular the Natanyahu administration, are for creating the environment that allows this to grow. This is akin to matching the energy of an unruly toddler. If they lash out, then you lash out, they will continue to up the stakes meaning you also have to up the stakes. Continuously putting pressure on the Palestinian people creates more and more radicals. Every bomb dropped is a handful of new recruits, and let's be clear, the bombs have been dropping for decades. It has now reached the point that Hamas, a truely detestable organisation, were seen by the general population as the best chance for their voice to be heard.

That's how desperate they have become, to democratically elect thugs and idealogues because no other avenues of diplomacy worked. Empty promises were made and land grabs continued, persecution continued and bombings continued and when eventually people snap and do something equally horrendous back, the Israeli administration often responds with what is effectively *shocked pikichu face* and acts like the Palestinians were completely unprovoked.

This didn't start on October 7th.

Either way, I'm done with this thread. I'm done with being accused of being an anti-semite or whatever else, of aruging in bad faith (the last port of call for someone who can't robustly challenge the points made, I might add), of people deciding that their own metric of "excessive" is (Nagasaki and Hiroshima is an exceptionally hight bar I might add, one might argue that one civilian death is too excessive no matter how unrealistic that is) rather than objectively considering the laws laid out in the Geneva Convention.

I've said what I wanted to say, both sides are barbaric and this will continue until someone with some **** common sense opens some sort of dialogue.

I hope everyone enjoys your wee echo chamber of cheering on the massacre of a civilian population that a massive percentage of is children just because Hamas done something horrendous.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Israel never said they were going to bomb the hospital,they told the hospital to evacuate with 16 other hospitals and the population of northern gaza,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Multipass

Hilarious that your first paragraph is about another propaganda lie from the Palestinian side. And yes I do ascribe those deaths to Hamas.

I find it really stupid to call someone an IDF supporter. How can you support the army of another country? It’s not some evil entity all of its own - it’s the sons and daughters of Israel, who risk their lives to protect their country against constant attack. Without them every Israeli would be dead long ago.

You misunderstand. I don't believe the idf bombed the hospital but if it did happen we are not supposed to complain as civilian deaths for you can just be blamed on hamas.

OK you are supporting israels carte blanche to kill civilians as they can never be blamed for their deaths. Does that sound moral now?

• Advertisement
Advertisement