Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Leinster Team Talk Thread (Love you Furlong time)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,183 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Jenkins wasn't the best unfortunately. Continued on his poor end of season form.

Ngatai wasn't great either, but he has more credit in the bank.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭ulsteru20s

Jack Aungier could really fill a hole in Leinster’s squad if he could be brought back.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Juventu4

Very poor, thought he'd be leading more and putting in big hits and carries. Now with Lancaster leaving, losing a disproportionate amount of players to the World Cup along with Goodman I'd say the pre season prep was poor and it shows.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Juventu4

Him and Salanoa leaving at the same time left a bit of a hole in the squad, still pissed off about Salonoa leaving as we put in all the work to get him pro ready and leaves for a rival.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭ulsteru20s

True although presumably Aungier would be easier to get back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Must love hardship

Alalatoa was running the water today. You'd imagine he is not too far away from coming back in.

I wouldn't be suprised if Healy got more minutes at Tighthead this year especially with Boyle, Milne and mccarthy coming through at loosehead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,605 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

I don't know if he'd want to return. He's been out west a few years now and is the successor to Bealham.

What's the story with Milne? He's not had a run without injury.

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭letsbefair

Wouldn't read too much into it, Glasgow are very hard to beat at home. Scratch enough team, especially all 6 front rows. No trophies won in October

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Massive disparity in experience. I was very surprised at the line up Glasgow were able to put out. Edinburgh only had 4 Scottish players back, none front liners. Glasgow had a lot more including 5 guys that were in the 23 that faced Ireland.

Even aside from that, they had a few guys who were very experienced operators throughout. Someone like Cancelliere has a handful of Argentina caps. Kebble has a number of Scotland caps in recent seasons and Venter is a really experienced back row player who has plenty of experience in SA.

The biggest difference was cohesion particularly on defence. We had a significantly reduced coaching team in recent months and it really showed. No head coach, no attack coach, no senior analyst and very few senior players around camp.

When you look at our front five containing Paddy McCarthy, Lee Barron (who was a real bright point), Rory Maguire and Brian Deeny for the final 30 minutes, it was always potentially going to be a tough afternoon. Three of our four props being academy players says a lot.

I think Cullen struck the right note in the after match interview noting how we lacked ruthlessness in the final third and will benefit from the experience overall. I thought McCarthy and Boyle both looked powerful around the park but will need more time scrummaging. Playing a B&I Lion will have been a real baptism of fire for them.

I wonder will they look to reintroduce a few seldom used Irish players next week now to give a little more experience and accuracy along with Ala'alatoa. Ross Byrne, JOB and Baird had a combined total of a little over 100 minutes at the tournament. Whilst Ala'alatoa had a good bit more game time (2 starts and 2 sub appearances), he was finished a week earlier and only features off the bench in their final warm up game due to suspension.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭conquestscarer

Rewatching the game and 2 things really strike me.

1. Clarkson could have given away a penalty at every scrum, and he almost did, the 3 scrums in the first half that didn't result in a penalty. 1. The ball was at the back and Evans was calling to use it. 2. Evans is coaching him out of a penalty and almost pulling him up. 3 Evans is pulling him again and coaching. We did win 1 penalty for wheeling in the first half but it wasn't good. I don't think Boyle was particularly poor at scrum time, he definitely lost his battle with Fagerson, but that is expected given Fagerson is an experienced international and Boyle was getting his first start. Clarkson on the other hand needs to step it up, we can't have a penalty machine at scrum time if we are expecting to win a game.
    2. The tackling we made especially in the back line was all too high, last year I really noticed every single tackle we focussed on going low, this gmae the tackling height was appalling and it lead to a ton of missed tackles. Ngatai made tackles then released them, but he looked like the only backline player arsed to make a tackle the entire game.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,697 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

McGuires scrummaging performance alone should have him at 18 this weekend behind Alaalatoa.

I don't know what to do with Clarkson. He was a technically good scrummager at underage rarely getting bested by much bigger and more physical looseheads. But it has not translated to senior level.

He's in his 3rd real season getting senior minutes and he has 28 caps. I have never seen anything really that could suggest he can take things to the next level. 30 odd senior appearances is a very fair spread to show that.

It is no secret props bloom later. Clarkson will be 24 in Feb. But he was the most penalised prop in the league last season and has started this season the exact same way. It says a lot that while numerically he's the 3rd choice tighthead, there are still 2 looseheads who are considered above him in the pecking order too.

But I don't want to scapegoat him too much. I think McBryde should shoulder some of this responsibility too

• Registered Users Posts: 3,697 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

What the hell are we going to do at hooker now this weekend too??

McKee looked to have strained a hammer. Now I'll be hopeful for a positive injury update today but how often do you see a hamstring injury even a minor one turned around in 6 days??

Gus McCarthy hasn't played since the Munster game 7 weeks ago and we have no idea if he is fit.

So unless we're calling Sheehan out of his post RWC holiday early how on earth are we going to field 2 hookers this weekend if McCarthy is injured?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,994 ✭✭✭realhorrorshow

In that scenario I wonder are they more likely to go with Stephen Smyth or someone like Dylan Donnelan from the AIL.

Cian Healy? It's a scratch squad at the moment. I doubt that McKee gets back either.

Clarkson has been disappointing. I'm not sure if they should pull the plag just yet. But he's had opportunities and isn't remotely close to a professional standard.

The crap thing for me is the fact that despite the youthful front row, we had experienced 2nd rows that did feck all. Basically the front five were not at the races. It's telling that I thought Boyle was the best of them all.

I expected the loss. Warriors had experience and home field advantage. Our glaringly poor defending was woeful. Ngati was poor. He looked completely off the pace.

Sharks next week. Possibly another loss? I just hope the performance is better.

After yesterday, Ala'alatoa should be straight back in. I'd start Frawley or Henshaw, if fit, at 12. I'd bench 1 of Molony or Jenkins and start Deeny. Probably Jenkins, he looked like he was phoning it in. I expect a better showing this week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

I just skimmed through the game there.

I think Leinster just mostly switched off for at least 4 of Glasgow's tries, and I thought they were hard-done by in the scrum penalty against the head that led to Glasgow's (I think) 4th try off the maul (Glasgow hands and knees were on the ground as they got the shove on). Definitely minor creaks that a coaching shake-up will surely address. I also didn't see Turner's foot touch the line at any point.

I think Sam P should be given more time at 10. I suspect his pass for TOB's try was marginally forward, but it showcases what a smoother and more natural distributer he is than H Byrne. Would the latter be better off moving to 12 at this stage? While he's the more athletic of the Byrne brothers, you can tell a mile away whether he's running or passing, and with his size and good-but-not-quite-10-level distribution, he could be more effective in wider channels?

TOB is a funny one. Reminds me a bit of Shane Williams in how he always seems to make a yard when you don't think he will.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭RichieRich_89

What disappointed me was the shape in attack. There wasn't much evidence of good attack coaching. They never really looked dangerous with the ball. Yes, it was a callow team in some areas, but this is the group the coaches have been working with. What have they been doing in training for the past few months? Cullen could do with a refresher course from Graham Henry by the looks of things.

The defence won't be an issue once Nienaber has had a bit of time with them.

The Sharks will be a big test with largely the same squad. Ruddock and Connors to start as flankers to bring extra experience and physicality? And is Foley a better option than McGrath at scrumhalf? Osborne being available would be a boost.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,210 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

There wasn't much evidence of an attack coach, because there hasn't been one.

Also the defence was far worse than the attack.

They had loads of coaches in helping out during pre-season by the sound of it. Goodman's been back for a bit too; Samoa's last game against England was on October 7.

What's stopping Cullen having input into the attack also? Just because he played lock he can't do it? He's a head coach now - a coach who has seen and experienced how coaches like Henry and Lancaster implement their ideas on how teams should go about attacking. Attacking is a fairly important part of the game. Cullen should be judged by high standards as a coach.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,210 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

So he missed almost all of pre-season.

Also, again it's weird you are focusing on attack when our defence and scrum were by a frankly ludicrous margin the biggest issue. Which is, in the grand scheme of things, not that surprising given we were playing literally uncapped provincial players at the end of the game and Glasgow had 5 players who started the last pool match in the World Cup.

The defence was very poor, and they'd want to improve for the next game. But one of the best defence coaches in the world is about to come in, and I generally take a pretty long term view, so I don't really have concerns about it.

The number of scrums in the game is often very small nowadays. If your defensive breakdown and lineout are good you can probably get away with a weak scrum - in most regular season games anyway. That said, McBryde isn't impressing me apart from coaching channel one ball. Maybe McGuire will jump ahead of Clarkson for the next match. He's probably a better scrummager.

I know. A fair few people were saying back in around 2021 that Farrell should be replaced by him, which is pretty wild when you consider Lancaster did most of the coaching and they weren't able to get over the line in the European Cup anyway. Did people think the 6N was going to be easier to win than the European Cup?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,559 ✭✭✭Clo-Clo

ROG has no problem saying on radio he has no idea how line out and scrum works, that's up to his coachs

A good head coach will know his weakness and bring in the best people to help in those positions. Cullen has done that, trying to be a jack of all trades will end up been master of none.

The experience Goodman and Nienebar will get at this World Cup will help Leinster in the future, an away loss v Glasgow is hardly a disaster, especially as they are one of the better teams in URC

Did O'Gara say that? I hadn't heard that. What I would say is that scrum and line-out are more niche areas of the game than attack, defence and the breakdown. Surely you'd want your head coach to have a pretty good feel for the last three?

I know this loss isn't a disaster. The way the game went they could even have won it. Glasgow are good, but I can see the really good teams shutting them down at the business end of the season.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭DGRulz

If we're playing with scratch team of academy guys and non-international senior guys at the business end of the season, something has gone terribly wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 41,797 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

for the life of me i cannot see why leinster are 18 point favourites for this weekend. It will be a fairly callow leinster side again, with maybe the addition of Alaalatoa. it could be a week too early for healy.

A pretty similar sharks team put 34 points up on us last season against a very strong leinster side in the RDS, and after their loss last weekend you can be sure they will target this game to take points from. They have ospreys and zebre away next where they can dip further into their touring reserves and still be confident of points. id imagine Fassi and Dyantyi will start, and up front if they go with a Venter, Buthelezi, notsche back row they will be formidable. They've just seen us struggle physically against Glasgow so they will certainly fancy their chances.

Advertisement