Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rugby world cup post mortem

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,559 ✭✭✭Clo-Clo

Scotland are number 5 in the World, the coaching ticket dont have the luxury of hindsight

The players are coming in cold to the rugby World Cup after a summer holiday and fairly pointless preseason games, because of the layout of the games and not playing one of the normal warm up.

So the Romania game was still one of the preseason games. Then you had Tonga as a warm up for the SA game, then with Scotland game after a week break. Then the quarter final game. If they didn't play the Scotland game you would of had a 23 without a game for over 2 weeks going into a qtr final.

When exactly did people want to rotate? the plan with the Romania game was give Sexton mins and it made sense to do that with the 23. The Tonga game the bench was emptied early in second half, as it turns out the same happened in Scotland game and game was over at half time.

So saying "it's a huge ask" is based on what? it was two high intensity games across 5 weeks, SA and NZ

Also when we lose in qtr final everyone goes nuts and say we do the exact same thing and lose at qtr final stage, we changed up the plan with something different and people are now complaining because we didn't do the same as we normally do. The plan to play all the players worked better than before when we rested players. Normally we get hocked at qtr final and this time we got very close to winning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,098 ✭✭✭Augme

They didn't need the luxury of hindsight. They just needed to watch Scotland vs SA or any recent game we had against Scotland. They're a fairly average side and always have been. There's a reason they haven't won a 6nations this century.

The point of the preseason games is so the players don't come in cold. How many warm up games do they need? It'd not like they need to learn how to play together either. You rotate for the Romania, Tonga and Scotland games. Also, rotating doesn't mean playing a completely different 23 players. New zealand played Uruguay the weekend before Ireland. They had players who started both matches, so 7nof their first team against Ireland hadn't played in over 2 weeks. Didn't seem to do them any harm.

11 of our first team who started against New Zealand played against Romania. Given was an afternoon game in those blistering conditions I really don't understand why that was necessary. And then seven days later 10 of the same players start against Tonga. Either pick up or the other to give the main players a run out but starting the majority of our first team players in both games was completely unnecessary. Even games against the likes of Tonga and Scotland will take a physical toll on players.

Saying it is a huge ask is based on the fact it's never done. Irish players rarely if ever are asked to play 3 international mstches in 3 weeks. They just simply aren't used to those sort of demands. I'd say it even rarely happens at provincial level. And that's before we even get into the hypothetical of them beating NZ and having to do it for 4 or 5 weeks in a row.

In which world cups did we rest players?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,188 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

This would be the South Africa-Scotland game that was 6-3 at half time?

I think the other person answered the question in terms of the Scotland quality.

Two games in 2019 World Cup. Can you spot the rotation?

Irish player do it every 6 nations by the way.

Forwards

• 1 Dave Kilcoyne
    • 2 Niall Scannell
    • 3 John Ryan
    • 4 Tadhg Beirne
    • 5 Jean Kleyn
    • 6 Rhys Ruddock
    • 7 Peter O'Mahony
    • 8 Jordi Murphy

Backs

• 9 Luke McGrath
    • 10 Jonathan Sexton (Captain)
    • 11 Keith Earls
    • 12 Bundee Aki
    • 13 Garry Ringrose
    • 14 Andrew Conway
    • 15 Rob Kearney

Forwards

• 1 Cian Healy
    • 2 Rory Best (Captain)
    • 3 Tadhg Furlong
    • 4 Iain Henderson
    • 5 James Ryan
    • 6 Peter O'Mahony
    • 7 Josh van der Flier
    • 8 CJ Stander

Backs

• 9 Conor Murray
    • 10 Jonathan Sexton
    • 11 Jacob Stockdale
    • 12 Bundee Aki
    • 13 Garry Ringrose
    • 14 Andrew Conway
    • 15 Jordan Larmour

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭flatty

Here’s what I think. Our players are managed by the union better than the other 6N players, so we are at an advantage for the 6N. That advantage is lost at the WC as other top sides are equally rested. we would have torn England to shreds, but I’m not sure we’d have beaten SA.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,605 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,534 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

Arguing over not resting players enough when we lost the game largely due to Kelleher breaking off and getting held up. That was arguably one of the most intense games ever played at the WC, both teams were absolutely shattered by the end.

Yes, the Scotland vs South Africa game that Scotland lost by 15 points.

I'm not sure what Scotland losing by 15 points to SA proves? They were completely dominated in that match.

They never do it in the 6 nations. There's 5 matches and two rest weekends in the 6N ansd they never play 3 consecutive weekends in a row.

I mean, we didn't lose in the 2019 world cup because we rotated against Russia and I'm fairly certain no one has ever claimed it was our policy of rotation against Russia that was the reason we got knocked out.

Yes, the Scotland vs South Africa game that Scotland lost by 15 points.

AKA the match that South Africa started their best team in and only got distance on the scoreboard in the 50th minute.

It's not a particularly sensible situation to use for saying Ireland should have gone weaker when SA struggled to break them down with their best team.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭D.L.R.

But but but.

Don't worry lads the next RWC will be expanded to 24 teams, so there'll be an extra knockout round.

Ireland might just pop their cherry then against the mighty Tonga or Canada.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,128 ✭✭✭OldRio

Well at least we all we know, you and some others will be bitterly dissapointed.

Hindsight is something Ireland coachs don't have.

You asked for rotation I provided when we done it in last World Cup.

We had a rest week in the middle of the World Cup. In the 6 nations we don't have games against Romania and Tonga yet we play our team. It's total nonsense for anyone to suggest that the pro players couldn't play these games in a row while having a rest week and at the start of a season.

After all they managed 3 massively intentive game week after week v NZ not so long ago, at the end of a long season for the player

I do apologise. I must start posting gibberish from now on :-)

No it won't help, the knock out round will not be a qtr final so we will still have to win the knock out, then qtr, then semi, then final

The mighty Tonga scored 3 tries v SOuth Africa FYI. Something that is very very rare

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

24 Teams? How's that going to work? Interesting because if they have a Round of 16 we can finally win a knockout game

You will have groups of 4 then a knock-out game and then qtr/semi/final

If we don't win a qtr we still have same issue

The reason this is done is because the US and Canada missed the WC this year and thats two huge markets.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,527 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

The point of rotation is not just to give some players a break, more importantly its to give other players game-time.

You can't learn from your mistakes without game time, and Sexton is the perfect example of this. He was prone to nerves and mistakes when starting out. But with enough game time and experience he turned it around. Porter is another who improved with experience.

We need to sacrifice at least the next two 6 nations to give some fringe players a chance to get a lot of game time.

Unfortunately there is a cohort of supporters who say we need to win everything, including every 6 nations.

I'd take a WC Quarter final win over several 6 nations wins at this stage, because we've already ticked that box, numerous times.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭captbarnacles

Woulld you take Englands last four years and semi-final over ours? I wouldn't obviously but I'm curious how many would.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,527 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

I'd take their last 35 years over ours - 4 world cup finals, numerous semi-finals. You'd imagine they have a pretty good QF record, at least 50% win ratio.

Regards the last 4 years over ours, I think if we beat NZ, we had a great chance of winning the WC.

• Advertisement

No

Like Scotland go on because they got to a semi in whatever year it was, but won what in the last 20+ year won what? even from a club point of view they have one competition win.

Would you take a semi and then 20+ years of nothing? I certainly wouldn't

AKA the match SA won by 15 points and never looked like losing. If Ireland nned their very best team to beat Scotland it really doesn't say much for the players outside the first 15.

No, but having an understanding of rugby is something they should have. If the Irish coaches felt the Irish players are so unique that they vsnt play everyone game in a world cup, despite no other team doing the same then fair enough to them. Unfortunately, they were wrong.

Again, if it's total nonsense why does no other nation do it. We also don't have games against SA and NZ in the 6N. Not to mention how we rarely win 5 matches in the 6N and we nearly always rotate heavily vs Italy.

I'm not sure using a game where they lost 42-19 is a great example of how Ireland have no difficult managing three games in a row tbh.

The Mexico 86 format is a tried and tested 24 team setup, the Euros use it right now. 6 groups, top two qualify plus 4 best 3rd place teams. Great for the tier 2 nations and less dead rubbers.

The 5 team pool is so tedious and boring, surprised it lasted this long.

Its a poor format alright and should have been removed about 2011 as the game progressed more into professional era

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,128 ✭✭✭OldRio

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,221 ✭✭✭saabsaab

For me it would be a Grand Slam over any number of WC quarter finals.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Must love hardship

Sorry if this has been discussed already. But say ireland are in group a and win it. Who do we play? 2nd in group b? Where do the 4 best 3rd place teams come back into it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,345 ✭✭✭✭phog

I think it's going to be like the the current ERC - after tyhe pool stages you have the Top16 fighting it out for the QFs.

Winners of the 6 pools = 6

Runners Up of the 6 Pools =6

4 of the 3rd placed teams on the 6 Pools = 4

Advertisement