Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time for a zero refugee policy? - *Read OP for mod warnings and threadbans - updated 11/5/24*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Immigration offensives as per the article.

But the main thing to take , several people lied about it,

One wasn't me

• Registered Users Posts: 9,766 ✭✭✭hynesie08

You lied about the Interpol red notice though, and there's still no actual evidence he was here.

So again, he was arrested for having false documents, and despite the Zimbabwean police apparently contacting the gardai, he was issued with an enforced deportation order to the country on the documents that were false?

Seems legit.

Was his wife arrested as well.

Amazing how an alleged triple murderer was held in remand after being arrested in Ireland and noone from the media got a photo, or a court record, or a quote from anyone involved.

All part of the conspiracy amirite.....

• Registered Users Posts: 18,475 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Because the authorities can still easily establish the person's identity and where they came from. This is the age of the internet and huge databases : they can cross check everything, where the person was born and grew up, where they attended school, where they paid taxes, with whom did they obtain a credit card and where was it used, what specific flights did they take to get from their home country to Ireland etc. Any person who cannot verify their own identity and country of origin is not going to be granted asylum.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,138 ✭✭✭mistersifter

Yeah, that's the problem you're pointing out. "The passport thing" becomes irrelevant. The pesky aul requireent to have some sort of proof of identity.

They can destroy all proof of who they are and where they've come from. And then they can refuse to cooperate with immigration officers and still get taken in, rather than being honest and rather than helping the investigation, they lie and lie and lie. Because they are not genuine and the know they will be taken into a system which is never-ending, and they know they will eventually be granted some class of permission to remain if they keep up their brazen bullshitting for long enough.

They lie about their age or where they've come from, they feign illness, you name it. Immigration officials can find undeniable proof of who they are on their person, in their luggage, on their phones. And even if this information confirms that they have come from a safe country, even if immigration officials find evidence that they having been living in another EU country safely for years, they still get taken in to clog up our asylum system. And then they stay here appealing decisions at the expense of the Irish people. That's the problem. That's what has to stop.

These chancers needs to have their application decided at the border. i.e. refused entry to the state if they show up with no docs. Then if they have the neck to claim asylum and not make any effort to help proceedings, application decided at the border and returned. If they are found to lie about their age - refused and sent back.

We're encouraging scammers to come here. These liars are clogging up the system for genuine cases and worse still clogging up the system of child protection by lying about their ages.

Guess again I didn't lie about anything unlike you and a few others did.

And yet still denying it .

No surprise there really

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,766 ✭✭✭hynesie08

There's you, lying about the red list.

Now I'll ask again, can you produce one bit of actual evidence that he was here? Actual evidence......

This is nonsense. They cannot cross check everything in the way you suggest.

If they could "easily" do all of that, it wouldn't take years to process an application and the majority of these scammers would be refused and returned to their countries immediately. They cannot hack into bank accounts in Ireland let alone a foreign country. It's quite difficult to demand financial records of an individual. And this is assuming you know the person's name. Imagine if they have no bloody name to go on.

But even as I said before, immigration officers can find proof of who they are and where theyve come from AT THE BORDER before they even ask for asylum, and even if they find proof of EU residence, they are still allowed in to clog up the system.

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭grumpyperson

give out stink about Refugees

AFAIK, that's a straight up lie. I have not been giving out stink about refugees.

then express admiration for the bastards causing them to be here

I did not express admiration for any country causing wars.

Maybe it's time you laid off the smokes, they might be blocking your view of the screen.

• Advertisement

Agreed. It's a free-for-all.

There are so many cases of non-Europeans presenting at the border and even though it's discovered that they're here to work illegally (to do any kind of work including sex work), they're still allowed to enter Ireland.

Then there are people showing up from visa-required countries without visas but still being allowed in.

At most these non-compliant people might be technically "refused" but they will be allowed into open custody and told to come back in a few days for their flight home. Nobody takes that flight home, obviously.

The lack of refusals/deportations is due to a lack of detention facilities, a lack of desire to carry out the work involved in deporting someone, and the soft-touch mentality coming from the top.

There are certain nationalities like Brazil and South Africa that probably should be required to have visas due to immigration abuse coming from those regions but they are not required to have visas so the abuse continues. A small positive is that recently Bolivia has been made a visa required country as Bolivians had long been using Ireland as a back door to illegally enter and live in the Schengen zone (where they are visa-required).

There are very, very few refusals in general. So to suggest that the asylum system is somehow different is nonsense. It's all such a mess it's frightening.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭Ahwell

9,240 non-EU nationals were denied entry into Ireland last year, that was the fourth highest number of refusals in the EU.

Misleading number. IT's a tiny figure considering how many people pass through our border.

How many of those people went on to claim asylum after being refused?

How many of those refused were issued with open custody orders and actually returned for their flights our of Ireland? Because they would also be included in your number.

See my last post for points on the many, many people who ought to have been refused but weren't. We are a soft touch.

And we rightly should have more refusals than other EU countries simply because we are an island and not in the Schengen, so people travelling here are more likely to meet border control. We have nowhere near the amount of refusals that we should have.

@Ahwell provide link to your numbers?

of all refusals most claimed asylum after being refused.

"Refusal to land does not necessarily mean that incoming travellers are refused access to the country, however."

Of the 10,226 people refused permission to land across the country in that 16-month period, 1,630 of them were returned to their point of origin, just under 16%.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/arid-41189116.html#:~:text=the%20department%20said.-,All%20told%2C%201%2C781%20people%20were%20refused%20permission%20to%20land%20at,January%202022%20and%20April%202023.

You tell me how many people claimed asylum after being denied entry, it's your claim, I won.t be holding my breath for an answer though.

For a country the size of ours to have the fourth highest number of refusals of all other EU country’s, rather suggests your other claim “that There are very, very few refusals in general” is “misleading”.

Post edited by Ahwell on

Ireland recorded the fourth highest number of refusals within the EU last year for stopping non-EU citizens trying to enter its territory.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭Luxembourgo

The rules over immigration need complete review, as that's what it's being treated now immigration not asylum. EU has its own issues as well.

Minimal benefits

Quicker Turnaround

Facility at Airport for those without passports

Investment in staff to increase turnaround

Custom builds facilities to handle volume. Encouraged to move out if they can afford it.

No social housing list until in employment for at least 3 years. Feel the same about full welfare

Lose claim if found to return to home country where they are claiming from

And the largest one, return of EU Nationals to their country if they cannot support themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭20silkcut

you might have noticed I didn’t say “ you give out stink about refugees” . I know nothing of your views.

But there are plenty of people who scream loudly about refugees and also praise and promote or ignore the people who are forcing them to come to these shores.

Nigel farage for all his time and research and energy highlighting this crisis has never once mentioned or highlighted the source of this problem. Never once did I hear him attacking “that” country that’s starting all these wars causing these people to move while he absolutely eviscerates the countries that receive these people. It’s fu*king insane.

It’s absolutely frustrating that there is no aggressive political or military will in Western Europe to tackle the source of this problem in the source countries where these wars are happening and drive the Russians and their proxies back out of them and restore order. There appears no strategic grand plan only to keep drip feeding aid to Ukraine. And not provoke the Russians too much. Nobody wants to put boots on the ground and stem the tide and take the hard choice. But our countries are at serious risk of tearing themselves apart over this issue. The U.K. has already put itself in the **** over it and chosen a backwards path and still the boats come.

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭pauly58

With thousands of Muslim's baying for Jihad on the streets of London, Sunak has declared it a threat to democracy. The top comment yesterday was saying we had let far too many in the country & Islam is not compatible with European values. Too late now I think, I can only hope Irish politicians are watching but I wouldn't hold my breath.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭malinheader

Some have said this for years now and had to accept being classed as far right racist scum.

To late for the UK and Ireland is a free for all imo. Time to sit back now and watch how all the people who thought this was ever going to work suffer the same as the rest of us.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭malinheader

I think we have concluded looking at the facts. Refusal doesn't mean you don't get entry to the Ireland. It's a farce.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭Stephen_Maturin

Big surprise - they get within a sniff of an actual sensible policy and then bottle it. None of them have the balls to actually take a stance on this.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭rgossip30

How did they get on a flight with fake passports ? Most likely check in staff have no way to check the validity of passports . I have seen contract officers in France checking visas for Ireland before check in .

Post edited by rgossip30 on

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭ECookie13

Apparently, most burn/tear them up while on the flight. It's ridiculous, they should be sent straight back but we know why they won't.

Everyone that showed up with no travel documents claimed asylum. And more.

See the previous link I posted that said just 16% of refusals were actually returned to their original locations.

You simply stating the number of official refusals is misleading.

I've given many examples of issues with our immigration system and asylum system. You just came along and stated a number which was misleading as that number is not reflecting how many people were genuinely refused entry to the country.

It's mad alright. The airlines seriously need to implement tighter rules here.

Take copies of all non-EU passports and also check passports when passengers are getting off flights.

We need much bigger fines to airlines that letting people board with 1) fake documents 2) visa-required documents with no visas 3) documents that do not belong to the passenger 4) passengers that get off flights with no documents.

There are also needs to be more immigration officials meeting planes at the arrival gate from certain routes and checking passengers there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭airy fairy

I brought the family dog to France this year. Her microchip and pet passport was checked twice on the French side before boarding the ferry home and twice by the guardi and dept of agriculture when disembarked here at home. All for a dog. Why we can't put resources in place for humans travelling into this country is beyond me.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,998 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

Businesses can't get staff for shite wages you mean. A solicitor out of work for 2 weeks might go on the dole for those 2 weeks rather than trying to find a minimum wage job and that would all be included in the social welfare budget

• Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭Photobox

M Martin wouldn't even acknowledge this is happening in a recent radio interview in Cork. Completely ignored what the interviewer meant. It was very dishonest. So what hope is there.

• Advertisement

Youre right, there's no hope there with this government. He completely diverted the conversation to Ukraine even though he was being asked about international protection. Par for the course with this crowd.

I'd like to see more journalists call them out on this and tell him in advance of the question that they are not referring to the separate shitshow that is the Temporary Protection.

Advertisement