Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Marathon 2023

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,613 ✭✭✭Trampas

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭FinnC

The West County Hotel in Chapelizod would be a good spot. Walk straight down the hill into the village. The entrance to the Park where the runners exit at the bottom of the Upper Glen Road is just a little bit outside the village but you could also stand around the bridge in the village also. Good atmosphere at that spot.

You'd be able get away quickly enough after also as you won't have any blocked roads due to the Marathon.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭rovers_runner

They don't, it's the main corridor to the start line. It's more of a guide time in order to get each wave through in time. They won't fuss over the odd late bag for an earlier wave close to their start time.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,046 ✭✭✭✭event

Cheers folks, couldnt remember

• Registered Users Posts: 29 ro_p_ro1986

Right, so the 4hour marker will be in Wave 3?

I'm in Wave 2 for some reason. Was hoping to run with the 4 hour markers (to hopefully pace myself for a a sub 4).

Looks like I'll have to drop back on the day to Wave 3.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭brick tamland

You can drop down a wave on the day, Just cant move up a wave

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭FinnC

If it's anything like last year it will be no bother moving up a wave.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭buffalo

Weather forecast looking a bit more promising now...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭rovers_runner

Does anyone know how strict they are on the below?

If my Wave isn't off until 9.25, surely I don't need to be waiting in that area for an hour waiting to go?

Was hoping to get into town for 8.30, in my zone for, I dunno, just before 9.

• Advertisement

Don't forget if you're driving into town that the roads will be closed. I almost missed the marathon one year because I was running late and it made for a very stressful beginning to the day.

I have some mates coming up to support, coming from the north. I said the best place for them to see me is the RDS/American Embassy. Where is best place for them to park, I am not sure where will be closed etc? Will probably come through the tunnel and then down the east link

• Registered Users Posts: 5,349 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

Can I ask what is there in terms of refreshments at the finish line? Water, banana? Anything more? Sandwiches, buns, yoghurts, tea? I'm more used to smaller races and club events where the members and organisers very kindly provide tea and homemade goodies.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭buffalo

There are no sandwiches, buns or tea. Maybe bananas IIRC and there is water

Being a weather forecaster is the only job in the world you can be wrong every day and no one says a thing. Well, maybe a politician too

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭gaf1983

Yeah there'd be nowhere near as good a spread as you get at those local races. I think it was maybe a banana and a Fulfil bar, some drinks, something along those lines anyway. I'm thinking of even putting a sandwich into my left baggage to have a little while after the race.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,349 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

Thanks a mil! Spoilt with the club races and their spreads after! 😁 I'm partial to a cuppa tea and a banana after my long run. I might get himself to have a little takeaway cup ready for me after I finish, just to warm my insides. Might put a scone or flapjack in my bag for after - I'd like something small to nibble on after that's solid and not all sugar.

Just remember you'll be finishing in the city centre. Once you get your bag you'll be about 2 mins away from loads of coffee shops etc so you wont be stuck

• Registered Users Posts: 7,613 ✭✭✭Trampas

Depends what you mean dropped into town. Everything moves a lot slower on the day. Walking getting through the crowds, dropping bag, getting last few things on. Walking and a stop to empty the bladder for 10th time on the day. Don’t underestimate anything

• Advertisement

I mean specifically regarding bag drop and the start of my wave.

It says bag drop by 8.30am at latest. Wave doesn't start until 9.20am. That's 50 min(prob an hour) from dropping my bag and start of race. The bag drop is close to the Wave routes.

Ideally would like to minimise the amount of time just standing around waiting for the race to start. According to the timings, it will be about an hour.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭woody1

yeah , the previous times ive done it ive been hanging around for an hour at least,

if you drop your bag at 8.30 itl take a while to walk to your wave start with the crowds and stuff

so that hour will pass quick enough,

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭left_hander

Met Eireann might disagree after Midleton last week!

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭goodlad_ourvlad

Goodluck everyone, hopefully get to meet and have a chat with some of you at the 5 and 10km waterstations... I'm in Wave 2, so plenty of time to have a natter and get around the course, aiming for about 6 hrs

I don't know, in my experience you are best off not arriving at the start line too early.

You'll be on your feet long enough. I'd arrive max 30-40 minutes before your wave time, by the time you drop off the bag (if you can't leave it in the car for example) and use the bathroom, etc its ample time. Assuming you know where you are going - if you don't, leave more time.

Especially if it is a cold morning as well, the less standing around the better.

I once started at the very back of a wave and let the enthusiastic gazelles on ahead of me before I even crossed the start line. The start was lovely because I knew several people down the end of Leeson Street and got to see them easily. Would probably do it again to be honest.

The first time I did the Dublin marathon I missed my wave start time as I was going to the toilet . I came out and everyone had basically gone. I had to jog up onto baggot street an then onto Fitzwilliam square with only a few people, crossed the start line basically with a handful of people. By the time Id gotten to Stephens green I had caught the back of the wave. It was nice few hundred metres of running though.

Yeah I would do it again, it was great.

I always hate the trying to avoid tripping, people trying to get past, etc that goes on over that first mile or so of every race. Calm down there Eliud, its not a 5k! :)

It also means you can absolutely take the "racing line" through each turn - I never get people taking this big wide arc around the bends. You've enough to run without adding to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,471 ✭✭✭Comic Book Guy

Last time I did DCM was 2019 and I think I started about 4 mins behind the gun. Like previous people said the first mile or 2 was great running with just a few other people. Stoneybatter and up to the zoo was mental busy though.

Has anyone left it longer than that to start, like there's a 20 minute window before the next wave goes, has anyone waited 10-15 mins after the gun or would ya be swallowed up by people getting ready to go to the next wave? I'm tempted to try it, could maybe get as far as chesterfield avenue without hitting big groups of people and having to weave or am I being stupid?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭T-Bird

Not a bad idea! I'm in wave 3 and was thinking of dropping down to wave 4. But I'm now thinking of waiting at the very back of my wave and let the crowd disperse a bit before the melee of wave 4 starts.

• Advertisement

I'd imagine they'd shoo you on eventually though as they want to get the next wave up to the line? I couldn't see them letting you just hang around for 10-15 minutes, the might just make you wait for the next wave if you wait too long!! But you could try it and see what happens I suppose.

There is also the possibility that you leave it too late and you hit the Crumlin Road solo - given the wind is normally into your face on it, it is definitely a part of the route to have strength in numbers! Assuming there is a wind naturally, otherwise you'd be grand.

But honestly, personally I find part of the fun is running some of the way with random people. I've met a few gas characters on the way at various points over the years. Its just at the start that I hate the big crowd because people are overly enthusiastic. After a few km, it settles down and is fine.

Advertisement