Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Currently buying/selling a house? How is it going? READ MOD NOTE POST #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,650 ✭✭✭RichardAnd

It happened to me with an apartment. The vendors prevaricated with sending financial reports of the management company. When they finally arrived, it turned out that they had feck all in their reserve fund, and there was a known (but not publicly announced) issue with the properties. I pulled out for this reason as I was likely buying a lemon.

In your case, delaying the issuing of documents seems to be at odds with wanting a quick sale. It could just be a slow solicitor, however.

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭FledNanders

Specifics of any building work that would have required planning permission will be with the deeds/title of the house.

Other stuff like removing internal walls is a greyer area I think? We sold our house this year and the buyer's engineer questioned whether we had a cert for the removal of a wall and putting in steel support etc. We just said it was like that when we bought the house and that was it, no further mention of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭shoppergal

It sounds like there's something suspicious there. We sold our house during the summer. We had an extension and an attic conversion and one of the first things our solicitor told us when we instructed her was to get our documentation in order for both. We had an engineer certify both as exempt from planning and had that ready for our solicitor to give the buyers solicitor from the outset. Was honestly no big deal so I'd question why they're dragging their feet on it

• Registered Users Posts: 5,397 ✭✭✭This is it

We bought a house with a shed built out back. We were told on viewing that all the certs were in place... went sale agreed, contracts received, but no sign of the certs. Seller was refusing to get the cert so it stalled for a while. Originally it was a cert to say it was exempt from planning, when the engineer came he said the shed would be exempt but because of the space left in the garden after the build it actually did need planning. Anyway, it was there 15+ years so no issue with the bank.

Fast forward 6 months, we're in the house and for the craic I googled the address and what pops up only approved planning for the shed... Crazy.

• Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭picturehangup

We will be closing the sale of our home and the purchasing of our new home in two weeks.

I was looking at a breakdown of fees, etc.

Do auctioneers add vat to their fee, eg is it typically 1.5% PLUS vat?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,896 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭theboringfox

Vat at 23% and usually some outlay too for any fees they incurred. A good agent is worth it

• Registered Users Posts: 16,685 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Currently in the process of selling our "spare" house. It's been rented to the same tenants since she moved into mine in 2015. Happily, they are the purchasers.

Our letting agent was a bit of Gowl tbh. The tenants had sent 2 letters and 3 emails to him, to let us know that they had received AIP and that whilst they were looking to buy. That their 1st preference would be to buy ours.

Suffice it to say no message was passed on. I am very impressed with how they dealt with it tho. There is still a postal redirect in place for my wife on that address. They wrote a letter sent it to my wife but to their address 😉

The Anpost redirect did the rest.

A price was very quickly agreed and all passed on to the solicitors now. Ours seems to be a little on the slow side. Deeds were received by them 4 weeks ago and still nothing in terms of contract or exchange yet.

The Mrs followed up yesterday to speed them along.

So we are leaving the "landlord" game but, are delighted to see it's the current tenants buying. It's been their home for over 8yrs. Now it soon will be their own pile of bricks and tbh, even with mortgage rate increases, it is still far cheaper for them to buy than rent. Rent on 3 bed Semi-D in Limerick at the mo are stupidly expensive and anything in a good area even moreso.

We are hoping to close before December and wish them all the happiness in the world once it's theirs.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 zergetek

Hi! How much would it cost a septic tank survey? Also can you recommend a good company to do it. The location is in county Louth.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Bluefox556

Follow up from me, since last week more than I thought could go wrong is going wrong.

So the above mentioned Valuation came in fine, but not without something else happening.

We had an issue with our HTB payment which we were told was received by our developer on the 2nd of Oct, but was actually mis-appropriated funds which were actually belong to another client.

This had to be followed up with Revenue and turned out there was some issue with the developer claiming ours but this was sorted last week waiting for the HTB payout now since last Thursday. It's likely to be 1.5k short of what we were told we originally got, so that's another payment I'll have to make to our solicitor once this comes though..

The new valuation we had done changed the value of the house from €340,800 to €340,000 (i assume typo by agent as the comparable properties where other units in the estate marked as €340,800)

This has now prompted AIB to re-issue the loan offer this morning with some minor changes to reflect the changes in the value of the property.

All my steps in AIB portal are now marked as uncompleted (even though we were 8/10 yesterday)

So I think now I need to wait for the solicitor to receive this re-issued letter of offer and we sign it and send it back..

Meanwhile I have mortgage protection and house insurance in force since 3rd of October as this was when my solicitor originally requested the loan cheque but now we are looped back to letter of offer stage.

The stress is unreal, why does it feel like every step forward is three steps back? Been on this horrendous journey since offered the house first week in January this year... current landlord is pressuring us to let people in the view our current rental, can't he just give us some space until this is sorted out?

😰

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16 blowintothewest

After 8 weeks of waiting for it mortgage approval rejected because the broker sent it through as single and not a joint application (yet sent two persons details through). So not all the documents have to go through again and another 6 to 8 weeks wait.

I've never encountered such a frustrating process as buying a house.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Bluefox556

That is infuriating! I often wonder why can't people just do their job correctly, seems no one double checks or proof reads anything... sorry to hear hope you will not have as long a wait the second time around..

Give it a few years and the AI will taking care of....along with a whole new set of problems :)

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭Acquiescence

Drawdown held up over a misspelling on the house insurance schedule that I submitted 6 weeks ago.

Zero contact from Bank.

Have received four amended schedules since yesterday and each one is incorrect in different ways.

Movers booked for Monday.

Slowly losing mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,432 ✭✭✭RedXIV

Home stretch! Just be a pain on the phone! So close to being done!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭Cork2021

EA reached out to previous people who enquired about house even after going sale agreed. (Sale has fallen through) we’ve already a cash offer of the asking price and 2 viewings on Saturday. The cash offer had previously viewed and was at €5k over asking. Calling my bluff? There’s also another house similar to ours he mentioned but it’s the same asking…

calling our bluff??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Rougies

You're overthinking everything. Just accept the cash offer and get it done. It's not worth the stress for a few grand more that might or might not happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭tonysopprano

Set a price, and when it is reached, make a deal, with best buyer (cash/loan etc)

Post edited by tonysopprano on

If you can do the job, do it. If you can't do the job, just teach it. If you really suck at it, just become a union executive or politician.

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭theboringfox

I suppose the other bidders are now gone. They do not want to pay more than they need to. I don't think they are looking to call your bluff. Like you could demand they go up the 5k but they could also walk. Houses only get the max price if you have bidders to get people to their max. No buyer wants to go there. The same way you want as much as possible they then want to pay as little as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭Cork2021

We’ve been thinking about the cash bid and have that as an offer going into the viewings of our house tomorrow. We are considering it if nothing comes of the next few viewings and we might be able to negotiate or maybe not, it’s something we’ll probably accept as our last option!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭sumsar

First time buyer here. We went sake agreed on a house just over two months ago now. Our solicitor at the time told us not to get the survey done until she reviewed the deeds.. took the sellers solicitor two months to provide the deeds.

After finally receiving the go ahead to get the survey, our surveyor has advised the house has water stains on both the ceilings in the kitchen extension and the ceiling of the bedroom.. so two potential roofs to address?

Surveyor also advised the extension doesn’t appear to have ‘DPC’ / Damp Proof Course in addition to dampness identified at the extension wall / door.

At this point it looks like we will be pulling out as this house was the top end of our budget and we were assuming / hoping no added costs other than the usuals like solicitors and property tax etc

Back on the hunt we go.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭herbalplants

I think it is slightly unfair you brought a surveyor after 2 whole months!!

Before you went sale agreed you should make sure you are happy.

For all we know, you drove the bidding high then you pull out.

Living the life

Interesting. The advice I was given by my solicitor (and family) was that a survey was to be done immediately. I went sale agreed on my house April 12th 2022. The survey was done about a week later. I don't see any advantage to waiting in this regard as if there are issues, you'll want to pull out as soon as possible. For next time, I'd get the survey done forthwith.

The company I used for surveying, their website has an FAQ and they advise that you get a survey as soon as you go sale agreed.

So based on the survey website and our solicitor, both resources advised I do it after sale agreed.

Additionally, there were no other bids when we went sale agreed. We were the only bidders.

Yeah I struggled with the solicitors advice to wait, but told myself as I’m paying the solicitor for their advice I’ll take it.

In future I would definitely do the survey once I go sale agreed.

I see where you are coming from and I agree that wasn't the best advice from a solicitor. 2 months is such a waste of time.

Since you are the only bidders, maybe best to go to the vendor and ask for a discount based on the survey report.

Living the life

The reason I asked is because we hear on boards.ie how all houses in Dublin are swamped with bidders and everyone is bidding like mad which obviously is a lie.

I have come across couple of houses which are getting no bidders.

Living the life

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭MrsBean

Would you consider approaching Estate Agent or seller to seek a reduction to sales price in light of the survey results? The next person to go sale agreed and get a survey done will likely have the same issues. You can use that fact to your advantage at this juncture.

Get yourself a couple of quotes to remedy the issues and seek to have that taken off the sales price. Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

Our survey report raised some issues, including a leaking kitchen extension roof and we negotiated down. We are happily in situ now and roof is getting repaired this week. If the rest of the house is in good order and the location is what you're after I wouldn't be so quick to walk away. You could always get a small credit union loan for roof repairs if the cost is something manageable.

Advertisement