Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Global warming

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,590 ✭✭✭cfuserkildare

Nope,

I know Global Warming is a Fact.

An unstoppable Fact

I have just seen the historical data that shows this has happened numerous times throughout the Earth's existence and humanity have very little, if any effect on the process.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,251 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

so why do you think so many climate scientists are wrong about it then, when they pretty much all agree that human activity is drastically changing weather patterns?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭eightieschewbaccy

What's your expertise in this area? Why do you think you know better than experts that have gone through peer review?

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭Upstream

Perhaps not... perhaps it's more complicated than that.

I read the article @Shoog posted above.

I've seen the films referred to in the article, Soil Carbon Cowboys and a documentary on White Oak Pastures. If they were funded by Big Oil, I wasn't aware of the link.

This article states

The regenerative ranching phenomenon is not just exaggerated. It’s fabricated, woven from a carbon-credit scheme for big oil.

I think that's a plausible reason for Big Oil to get on board, but while intensive agriculture is reliant on big oil, it's resource intensive and often involves shipping fossil fuel derived inputs (GM feed, fertilizer and sprays) half way around the globe. The farms featured in these films are doing the opposite - they're removing or greatly reducing the reliance on external inputs and fossil fuels.

I would agree that the carbon-credit schemes are being used as an excuse to carry on as normal in other areas. I'm perhaps not as concerned about the carbon element as you are, but I see a lot of our current use of oil as a waste of a valuable and finite resource.

The article then goes on to take a pop at most of the big names in regenerative agriculture, and it seem to read like it's just hit piece against regenerative agriculture.

A quick google shows the author is vegan and describes themselves as an anti-capitalist ecologist who advocates a decolonial, just transition away from animal agriculture and wildlife extraction. It looks like they have their own prejudices, and didn't leave them aside when they wrote this, but you all thanked it because it agreed with yours prejudice against the fact that ruminants could possibly be beneficial, and that Savory could be at least partially or indeed mostly right.

This looks great, it falls under the regenerative ag umbrella in my book 😀

As it says, initial tree planting efforts failed for a variety of reasons, including the wrong tree varieties, this sounds like a much better solution, and simpler and cheaper.

It's about understanding what is a suitable solution for the local environment and local context.

• Advertisement

Completely agree with your thoughts on the bugs idea, yes it's speculative and may not have an effect, and I imagine the science to demonstrate a link would be hugely complex, but restoring indigenous microorganisms is a good thing for a host of other reasons.

I agree on the importance of loops too, if we can find positive feedback loops and dampen the negative ones, we stand a chance.

There's an imbalance to how resources are applied for the all the food that's grown. At them moment I think something like 50% of the world's food is produced using 20% of the resources and the other 50% uses the remaining 80%!

I've looked at Korean Natural Farming and it has some good ideas for how to capture and use indigenous microorganisms to restore fertility and reduce external inputs at the same time.

I think we need more people actively managing local habitats and restoring land, and less people dependent on unsustainable resources, hopefully that would leave enough space and resources for us all.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,428 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

• Registered Users Posts: 5,129 ✭✭✭Shoog

We will have to go towards small mainly local agriculture. Why because at the moment every pound of food takes multiple pounds of fossil fuel to produce. This is at every stage including;

• ploughing
    • fertilizers
    • Harvesting
    • Transport to market
    • Water pumping

In a sustainable future there simply will be no substitute for those fossil fuel inputs, especially the fertilizers.

There is also the small matter that meat production is highly inefficient of resources and we eat far to much meat for good health. A proportion of around 10-20% of stock is actually a better amount of meat to eat and is the stocking rate essential for organic systems to function.

Fortunately there is evidence that once organic systems have restored the soil fertility (around thirty years) they can equal the productivity of intensive agribusiness.

The future is different not necessarily worse.

😍 Big love for this. I think smaller, mainly local agriculture is the way to go.

There's also the fact that eating mostly seasonal local food would be SO much better for people's health.

Combine that with more farmers, meaning more people leading a healthier outdoors lifestyle and it should reduce the amount of resources needed for healthcare and pharmaceuticals. (notwithstanding current high mortality rates for farmers, I think they're a consequence of the industrialization and isolation of modern farming)

Of course as you can guess I have different ideas about the amount of meat that's suitable in this scenario, but I think that's just arguing details, I agree with the broad direction 100%

We need a valued food policy, not a cheap food policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭thinkabouit

You basically just described what savory has been saying for nearly 60 year’s!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,129 ✭✭✭Shoog

Ireland has huge agricultural issue’s

Farmers getting older

Nobody young is getting into it because of the current management expectations, policys from government’s

Very Very difficult to get land, the big are buying up everything & getting bigger.

Dairy & Beef is where its at apparently yet every year except last year seems to see farmers struggling!

A complete paradigm shift needed

There ain’t a whole lot of difference to be fair.

100%

And im willing to bet if people eat healthy grub, there wouldn’t be a need for €22 Billion healthcare budget.

Not entirely, but it was a good plan, headed in the right direction, completely different to the way we're going at present.

The mainstream is still thinking of mostly technological and top down solutions, that seem to suit big corporations more than humanity.

Yours looks more like a plan that was drawn up from a holistic point of view.

And there was some alignment with Savory's methods which would normally involve cutting down fossil fuel use and increasing land productivity, maybe not the meat bit, but two out of three ain't bad as Meatloaf would say 😀

So now that we have a wee bit of common ground I'll drop out for a bit and bid you all well.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,517 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

And... where will the world be in 30 years?

I read a book by Steve Solomon who started "Territorial Seed" company in Oregon, later sold it for big $$. He calculated just how much land you'd need to grow enough vegetables, using his techniques, to sustain 1 person for a year. Was around an acre.

In my opinion, where his techniques failed to align with reality, is that his techniques required a lot of inputs, and a lot of labor, and ignored things like how to get the inputs from where they were created, to where they were used (transport, processing, etc. were just waved away.) Oh, and water, and sunlight, and how do you managed pests etc.

Still, it was a nice theory, and the best thing about the book was the N/P/K numbers for garden inputs like chicken manure, seaweed, He'd done some investigations for sure.

TBF it's been ages since I read the book, and he is actively invested in his techniques and is a soil science 'geek'.

Until governments develop a Holistic Context of how people want there lives to be, similar to sort of a constitution or Charter of Human right’s, and every policy our decision has to help achieve that goal now & long into the future we’re going to continue to have all the problems & even bigger one’s in the future.

It’s not just about cattle, there only a tool we can use.

it’s all about context & management. This link will provide a better way of what I’m trying to say.

https://savory.global/wp-content/uploads/2018/08/new-context.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 16,220 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

George Monbiot makes a good point when he says that manufacturing food is the future. We can make protein in a factory. We already have certain things like quorn. It's healthy and nutritious. And it can be made into loads of different products. And there's other companies making different types of base products.

It uses less land, less water and less power per calorie.

People don't like the idea because there's an aversion to food that's manufactured and not grown, but if we want to be good to the environment, then we should be looking in that direction too.

Aren’t we already doing that?

nearly Everything you see on a shop shelf is coming from factories.

And the usual drive for corporate profits will mean a race to the bottom and sourcing the cheapest of cheap materials.

Plus, will do absolutely nothing to stop desertification on over 60% of the land and growing!

Also not addressing the management of complexity

• Registered Users Posts: 10,755 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

A big problem there is that a large number of insecure men associate eating meat and driving petrol cars with masculinity and their, possibly, fragile sexuality. Following some podcaster or ‘roided up health guru who tells them eating raw meat is the manliest of pursuits.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭InAtFullBack

Disagree here. Look at what happened in Yellowstone National Park since 1995. Biodiversity was restored to it's former glory and the results are outstanding. Without that action at the right time, the area would resemble the Badlands today.

Yellowstone's biodiversity loss, due to human activity, was in a great way reversed by the reintroduction of wolves, which actually caused the rivers to change course as the elk, etc. populations were reduced enough for the native vegetation to regrow. Not sure the original loss of wolves was due to climate change.

Yellowstone is certainly changing due to global warming: https://www.nps.gov/yell/learn/nature/climate-change.htm#:~:text=Warmer%20temperatures%20are%20accelerating%20the,water%20availability%20in%20some%20regions.

Yellowstone was glorious before 1995. It's better now. The wolves had been gone a long time prior to 1995.

It never looked like the Badlands.

Thanks for verifying what I said. The biodiversity loss - due to human activity - was a direct intervention as opposed to wolves being lost due to climate change. As for the article you linked, it's a puff opinion piece full of predictions rather than hard evidence:

"These changes are expected to result in the loss or relocation of native species"

"Ongoing and future climate change will likely affect all aspects of park management"

"Some studies suggest that extreme weather events such as thunderstorms"

Quite vague language used.

As for not reintroducing wolves in 1995, the park would have seen continued biodiversity loss:

Once the wolves were gone, the elk population exploded and they grazed their way across the landscape killing young brush and trees. As early as the 1930s, scientists were alarmed by the degradation and were worried about erosion and plants dying off.

[...]

In the years that followed, wolves brought the elk population down and protected the open valleys from overgrazing. However, the number of elk killed was double than estimated and many local hunters stirred controversy by protesting that the wolves will end up killing ALL of the elk. Today the debate is still strong. Inside the park, scientists joyously exclaim that the wolves have saved Yellowstone

From: 1995 Reintroduction of Wolves in Yellowstone (yellowstonepark.com)

I'd rather rely on hard verifiable observations to support my point than loose language such as "likely", "suggest" and "expected".

https://youtu.be/rb4ZYdmE4bY?si=o62Vi9oSE7ZjwXgq

Another 5 minutes clip on how livestock & wildlife are used to kick start turning barron land like desserts back into green grasses. Supporting huge biodiversity & habitat.

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Slightly Kwackers

How was the chart data selected?

Global warming is a wholly natural event yes, but so is travelling by motor car and blowing people up with thermonuclear weapons. They are all a product of nature albeit a rather self destructive two legged device that seems to think it's an exceptional species.

Personally even if global warming was fiction, which I don't believe it is, the dwindling energy reserves are only going to ensure that wars become more popular and the future is going to be that much worse for the survivors.

If the fossil fuels are left in the ground for "emergencies", hopefully future generations might have the ability and intelligence to survive on the incoming energy to the planet anyway.

I live in a home that I used in my youth, from birth more or less. Frankly I don't know how we managed without the central heating and duvets. Public transport was better then though.

Anyway approaching my dotage I moved in and despite the warming I would lose the will to live without my "fix" of a few kw/h worth of energy a day.

I guess it's time to make a very serious go of energy reduction although I have cut a lot since arriving back to live here permanently.

I was in the gas industry in 1995. CO2 levels were around 320ppm if I recall. The last time I heard the values quoted was a few years back at 420ppm.

Now that is quite some increase.

I wonder when the stored methane will be released? A bit of positive feedback should at least provide concrete proof to those that still doubt :-)

Projected changes in global climate have substantial ramifications for biological diversity and the management of natural areas. We explored the potential implications of global climate change for biogeographic patterns in the Greater Yellowstone Ecosystem by wing a conceptual model to compare three likely climate scenarios: (1) warmer and drier than the present; (2) warmer and drier, but with a compensating increase in plant water use efficiency; and (3) warmer and wetter than the present. The logical consequences of each scenario are projected for several species and community types chosen to represent a range of local climate conditions and biotic responses in the Greater Yellowstone Ecosystem. The upper and lower timberline appear to be particularly sensitive to climate change. The upper timberline is likely to migrate upward in elevation in response to temperature changes, whereas the lower treeline may retreat under drier conditions or move down slope under wetter conditions. In all scenarios, the extent of alpine vegetation in the ecosystem decreased Climate-induced changes in the fire regime in the Greater Yellowstone Ecosystem would probably have substantial consequences for the extent and age-class distribution of forest communities. Alterations in the distribution and extent of grassland communities would affect the populations of large ungulates. Our analyses suggest directions for establishing long-term measurements for the early detection of responses to climate change.

All very vague to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,590 ✭✭✭cfuserkildare

I still don't see anyone facing up to the fact that this has happened many times in the existence of planet earth.

Global warming is a natural cycle, nothing can stop it!!

If humanity ceased to exist tonight, the Earth would still warm up by more than 10 degrees Celsius, as the geological evidence shows, the natural static surface temperature is more than 10 degrees warmer than it currently is, and the planet is emerging from its coldest period since the earth's crust formed.

Ok, but we still need to keep ground covered & stop desertification.

• Advertisement

Of course it's a known cycle. It's the rate, and the fact that the planet's population is higher than its ever been and only growing. It's the impact and timeline that matters, and whether there's anything that can be done now to slow down both.

Advertisement