Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Tesla Model Y

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭tesla_newbie

what mileage- KM is usually a good marker to request a service?

coming up on 13 k here with a March bought Y

• Registered Users Posts: 13,934 ✭✭✭✭josip

Sounds like a filter in March 25 would be a good date for your diary 😊

Tyres might last you until then too.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,021 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

What service, all there is is tyre check which you can do yourself and cabin filter which is every two years.

Tesla do not require any servicing to maintain their warranty

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭traco

Did the first road trip loaded with luggage and four adults on Friday in the lashing rain in Mrs Tracos new RWD Model Y and it was very uneventful.

Portmarnock, Malahide, Roundstone in Connemara. 120kms on the motorway. Nav suggested a stop at Athenry then decided we didn't need it as would arrive with 10/11% but bladders said otherwise so stopped there at 41% SOC. Bathroom break and a coffee then back out and off at 98% and arrived with 77% at destination. I also wanted to have a decent charge when at the hotel in case there was any issues with the destination chargers but there wasn't so we could have done it in one hit.

Return trip was the same on Sunday, badders forced a stop at Enfield and we sat down for a coffee but they were so slow to take our order we left when it hit 74% as we would have had to move the car if we did eventually get served so what was the point.

Initial observations suggest that the destination arrival SOC is a bit conservative and I watched it change as the journey progressed. There was no driving slow to save energy and she did most of the journey on cruise with maybe 2kms over the speed limit as the Tesla speed seems very accurate. I don't like the way it puts in a supercharger stop then removes it when it thinks you don't need it so I need to figure that out. As an ICE vetran and a range anxiety noob I think it was all very simple. Even the passenegers show just bought a new hybrid becasue of range anxiety were a bit surprised. I did second guess it with A better route planner before leaving becuase I didn't trust it bit it appears I was wrong.

The lack of parking sensors on the front is annoying as the camera based system is pants, I'd go so far as to say its dangerous and you would be better with nothing. It looks as if it works fine when moving at paces but slow down, stop or inch around and it seems to be that it can no longer corelate the wheel speed and camera visuals. Baiscally we end up parking the front of the car in our TV room with about 1m to spare between it and the wall. I've told Mrs Traco to reverse in anywhere that she is unsure as at least with the reverse camera you can park it nice and tight with no worrys.

So a few weeks and a road trip under our belt I think it was a good buy and will suit her usage perfectly. Its quiet, comfortable, easy to live with and the way the Tesla charging network integrates make it very simple to use for a long journey.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,682 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

I don't buy this "camera is pants" malarky at all.

What in God's name did ye do in the OLDEN DAYS when you had to park nose-in somewhere?

Has the modern drivers' spatial awareness and fine control just completely evaporated??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,914 ✭✭✭kanuseeme

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,313 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

The roads would be safer if people didn’t push the boundaries of traveling distances, times etc

Theres a reason professional drivers have to stop and take a break after a certain amount of time/km

It's pants because it provides useless information. No problem parking without it but when it's beeping and flashing and you are over a meter away it's a useless distraction, or pants as I said. Surely you can understand that? It doesn't work and has nothing to do with driving ability.

If the radio kept dropping stations that would be pants also?? Doesn't mean we are unable to drive does it?

Below you can see the wall of the house running through the bonnet / frunk now if that's not useless I don't know what is? It would be 100% improved by being turned off.

That gripe aside the rest of the car is very good particularly at its price point.

Headlights are a massive improvement over her old ML also which helps with the failing eyesight! There is no pretty solution for the failing bladders though at least nothing I'm willing to admit to on the old interweb!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭big_show

I've condensation in the rear lights of my model Y, one barely noticeable but the other quiet bad. Before i open the service request I faintly remember there been something about if its in one light, Tesla will fix it but if it's both they won't. Or am I dreaming?

• Registered Users Posts: 845 ✭✭✭JOL1

Condensation is normal and will most likely dissapear. Appears in high humidity /after rainy conditions and Tesla will take the view that unless it is pooling (unlikely) it is within tolerance. Try to relax about it

Condensation is normal in modern LED lights. BMW the same amongst many others.

If the water pools then you have an issue and Tesla will replace one or both no problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,562 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

Tesla Vision is hilariously bad. It's unfit for purpose - period. It's meant to replace traditional parking sensors but it doesn't work in any reliable fashion. Not sure of the value of comparing a Tesla to the olden days either.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,970 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

I wouldn't go that far. Tesla vision seems ok for reverse parking, the experience is no worse than other car's I've had which didn't bother with front parking sensors. I've always been one of those people who finds reverse parking a much easier task so I guess the front facing performance hasn't had as much impact.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,279 ✭✭✭MightyMunster

I moved from a 3 with sensors to a Y without and don't find the cameras noticeably different really. The USS only measured to >30cm anyway so would always have relied on cameras and mirrors more anyway. A front camera might be handy for the odd time i'm not reverse parking

If they had a camera in the front bumper I would imagine the algorithim would work fine as per the rear. Her 16 year old ML had US sensors and you could get within 3/5cm with no concerns. I just wish it could be turned off for the front as my car has none on the front and we manage fine but the beeping and red lines just create doubts and confusion.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,562 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

The rear camera is fine. I guess the point is that pretty much any competing car will have a proper set of parking sensors allowing much finer control in tight spaces, or at the very least isn't simply a distraction when you're concentrating. The worthless barrage of seemingly random beeps and bongs, all sounding over each other, as I reverse into my (flat) driveway is the subject of much hilarity to my kids. Cost cutting can go too far and this is an example, along with the removal of stalks in the M3 Highland.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,335 ✭✭✭sk8board

you’re correct - it’s better than nothing, but only when it isn’t lying to you.

one scrape seems to be costing Irish owners thousands ‘cause it’s a tesla’, so the risk is far higher and you simply cant rely on this camera system the way you reply on sensors.

I touch park every day between a solid side wall and Mrs’ car. I use my bins as a guide and drive until I touch them.

but yes, I therefore park like the old days.

we’d prefer if our cars had $10 worth of sensor spots or whatever they cost. It’s honestly a joke the way it distinguishes that tight space with so many different material and surfaces, and you’d need to be drinking all the coolade to think otherwise

You’d want to be drinking coolade to pay 1000’s for a scrape!

Post edited by Gumbo on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭rodneytrotter15

Can anyone tell me what said button does ? I'm assuming heat the windscreen or else the heat the washer fluid. Never noticed it before until this morning. Apologies for the blurry pic.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,537 ✭✭✭eagerv

Looks like the heated wipers. (Not actually the wipers but a strip on the bottom of the windscreen)

If you have climate on auto, I think it auto heats the windscreen area around the wiper blades.

Actaully speaking of auto, does it turn on and off teh heated seats also?

I ended up switching it to manual on the galway trip as I thought temps were fluctuating up and down yet I felt hot in the seat. In manual mode it all felt more stable. I should really read the manual and not be so lazy.

Yes. Once on auto it uses a mixture of the wheel, air fans and seats to achieve the cabin temp.

But you can flick the seats back to manual in the main screen.

• Registered Users Posts: 845 ✭✭✭JOL1

Removal of USS is always emotive and seems to raise tensions. I have had Tesla’s both with USS and without and whilst I agree I prefer when it had sensors personally speaking it’s no big deal to me as I always regards them as “assisting” with parking and as others have said rear camera is excellent.

For those who get irritated by the chimes it is easily remedied and is within your control. You can turn the feature “Off”

• Registered Users Posts: 8,019 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Test drove the Tesla Model Y today. Quite impressed overall with very little to fault it on other than Tesla Vision(What were they thinking!?). We're looking for a family car which can take 3 kids in the 2nd row comfortably and has a big boot. In that respect it ticks all the boxes for us. The sales person also told us that there is now a 6% discount since yesterday, don't know if that was sales tactics but between that discount and the 3.9% offer on finance makes it very tempting. Altogether a Model Y RWD with standard paint and wheels will come in at €45,201.

Just waiting on the Tesla trade-in estimate for our current car, the sales person was already saying don't get your hopes up because they use a UK company to process them and the value is always worse than what the Irish trade will give us. We've already been quoted 15k by a couple of other dealers and if Tesla comes in significantly below that it may make us reconsider or just try sell privately and hope the Tesla offers are still there by the time we do that. 

Also hoping to test the drive the BYD Seal next week so that could change everything, it looks like a very nice car for the money(46k) but definitely not as big inside as the Model Y which is our main priority.

At 45k odd the RWD Model Y is very good value in the current market place. We jumped at very end of September for a blue with black at similar price for Mrs Traco and so far I think we did the right thing. Any specific questions on the process PM me

• Registered Users Posts: 9,116 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

I've a 2019 standard range Model 3 and am looking to upgrade to a Y as I've a family now and the boot on the 3 isn't really cutting it. Also if/when I have a second kid the car just wouldn't be big enough, you have to push the passenger seat reasonably far forward to get a baby seat in behind it and you just wouldn't be able to do that behind the driver's seat.

I've got a trade in value off Tesla for my 3 a couple of times before. Don't expect much, it was absolutely paltry. Not sure what to do with mine when I upgrade, you could probably list in on donedeal at a price that should help you shift the car fairly quickly if needed and still come out way better off than trading it to Tesla.

I was looking at the inventory stock and the €46k is the price now, down a few thousand from last week. I'll probably opt for the AWD version, I'd be aiming to keep it for the 8 years of the battery/drivetrain warranty so the extra €7k seems worth it for me over that timespan.

• Advertisement

BYD seal test drives due in about a month.

You can lock in the current Tesla price by booking one and paying the €250 deposit which is fully refundable once you use a different email and name that you used to book the test drive (use your wife or partner).

Then you can make your mind up in a month or so and still have the current discounted price.

Advertisement