Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What’s your most controversial opinion? **Read OP** **Mod Note in Post #3372**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭17togo

Pub landlords as part of having a pub license should be required to have very visible advertising for local AA meetings and have things like numbers you can text to for help. These should be as visible if not more visible as advertising for the alcohol being sold.

Btw I'm not a teatotaller, I love having a few pints. But since living with my alcoholic father in law it's given me a different perspective on the pub trade.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,952 ✭✭✭mikemac2

Edited out

Post edited by mikemac2 on

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭orourkeda1

As I see it, it isn't the pub landlords job to get alcoholics to AA meetings.

It's the individual concerned that has the problem not the landlord.

https://www.orourkeda.blog

I'd see it the same as the pictures on the cigarette packets.

I'm not saying the landlords have to convince lads sitting at the bar to go to meetings. I'd include off licences aswell in that, not just picking on pub landlords but the alcohol industry in general.

I'm sure there's a few people that have sat at a bar staring into a pint and just need a little push to help them change their habits. And if having AA meetings advertised help them do that, I don't see how it's a bad thing tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭kowloonkev

Not saying you are wrong but the media like to tell us which suffering people we should care the most about.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,787 ✭✭✭Greyfox

That's true but news companies will say part of the reason for this is because human beings have become desensitised to human suffering and sadly some human suffering is not shocking to people. Also with news people should look at different news sources and develop their own opinion, and make certain they are not just getting news from a social media echo chamber.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭thinkabouit

The whole world shouldnt give any help to either isreal or Palestine.

We should all stay out of it and let them do what they’re gonna do.

No weapons to any side.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,184 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Bit late for that. They both have weapons ecause they were given to them from other countries. The powers in the region are using it as a proxy war to gain influence in the area.

So given the likes of the US and Iran aren't going to just leave them to it without trying to influence it, it's not really a runner.

Do you think we should leave Russia and Ukraine to do their own thing too?

Controversial opinion is that the media soap opera coverage of the war is totally ignoring the actual analysis of what's happening. They're so caught up in every little event that they're ignoring the context.

When I heard about the invasion on the Saturday morning I said it was a kind of blood sacrifice. There was a status quo where nobody really cared what isreal did or how the Palestinians were living under occupation. So Hammas changed the status quo they committed a terrible attack which will prompt isreal to invade (why else would they take hostages back to Gaza?). Now they need isreal to invade and sacrifice its humanity in front of the world. So the whole world will force a 2 state solution.

The 2 state solution hasn't been on the table for a decade but people are talking about it again now. Once the dust settles from the invasion (if it happens and it might not happen because the Israelis might have cottoned on to what's happening)

I'm not trying to give credit to Hammas as such. Just looking at what's actually happen rather than getting into the guff about who bombed the hospital or whatever the issue ofthe day is. This invasion might bring about the 2 state solution.

Irish independence was achieved in a similar way. The 1916 rising didn't achieve independence, the British response created the support for the war of independence. The bloody Sunday march didn't achieve peace, the British response recruited more people for the IRA and eventually the international community demanded a peace agreement

"A terrible beauty is born"...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭thinkabouit

• Advertisement

The problem I think with this particular tiny region of the world is that one side has huge influence in a certain powerful nation that helps orchestrate the news and spread it far and wide, while the other side helps whip up the underdog supporters, and together they make us think we should care.

I'm not buying it though. I don't share anything in common with these people. While I don't like seeing suffering of any kind, I don't see the reason why I should subject myself to watching report after report about what's going on over there. It's of no benefit to me whatsoever, I can't do anything about it, and I'm much better off focusing my emotions on the people I really care about. I'm not interested in watching any news sources as much as I can avoid it. It's taking all the attention away from the problems in our country.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,526 ✭✭✭eightieschewbaccy

I've talked about it with my housemate and family. It's pretty major global news that could have long running consequences on the west for decades to come. So this mother just relate more to your personal circles but it's being discussed plenty in homes.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,981 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Pubs should be like cigarette packets? Pictures of livers and domestic abuse victims?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,787 ✭✭✭Greyfox

But in general people should care about things like aid getting in to help the many children who are dying. Yes people have plenty of their own problems here in Ireland and watching the news can lead to depression but in a situation like an earthquake that kills loads of Asians, in such a situation it would feel wrong if a person had less empathy just because they are not European.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,731 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

I wish that the entire Middle East would just disappear off the face of the Earth.

The place is a complete cesspit of deep, millennia-old religious and ethnic hatreds and total and utter intolerance of difference from each other and complete oppression of minorities and women - and all directly attributable to that pathetic and dangerous sky fairy mumbo-jumbo rubbish that only serves to divide people and perpetuate an endless litany of bloodshed and misery.

Nothing good ever comes out of the Middle East. Nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,981 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

I'm sure some good things have but the rest is correct

• Registered Users Posts: 5,927 ✭✭✭Cordell

Nothing good ever comes out of the Middle East. Nothing.

Except for that small country that contributes to science and medicine and innovation more than the rest of the ME combined.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,025 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

delete

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,025 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

Over the weekend met up with 2 separate groups of mates, we talked about Israel Palestine probably 50% of the time.

• Advertisement

I don't know how anyone could be disinterested in this. Apart form the humanitarian aspect, even from a self-interested perspective, it has consequences.

When the cost of fuel goes up because of this conflict, and filling your car or heating your house costs even more, what do the people who weren't paying attention think? Do they use shrug and not care or blame the Irish government or what?

When a load of refugees from the warzone need a place to stay do they just shrug or do they get cross about more foreigners in Ireland?

Pressuring both parties to find a long term solution is in everyone's interest, no matter what perspective you view it from.

The main reason it could have consequences for the west is because they keep meddling in it. I really don't see the consequences to the west for decades to come though. That's just hyperbole. It's just more of the same powerful nations backing different horses in minor races without getting directly involved.

I admit it's a good topic for those interested in geopolitics, students, and for intellectuals or wannabe intellectuals to pick a side, debate, discuss, offer solutions without an emotional attachment either way. It kind of makes you look good in front of a group if you can offer a half cogent argument about it.

In my family, amongst my friends and in my office nobody cares. Our lives are going on as normal.

That if 1400 of my fellow citizens were raped, murdered and mutilated the way innocent Israeli civilians were on October 7th, I’d want my country to bomb Gaza back to the Stone Age. And when they get the Hamas lads, make it slow and stream it live. Sometimes lessons need to be taught in blood.

Bloodlust is wrong and we should expect better from our leaders, but it’s still real.

Yeah it's easy to forget how bloodlust feels and how hard it is to be rational. That's precisely why we don't allow family members of a victim on the jury...

Even though they probably know Hamas need them to invade and to be so brutal that it forces a two state solution, they almost certainly won't be able to resist the urge for revenge.

Post edited by El_Duderino 09 on

• Registered Users Posts: 14,237 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Desire is the best Bob Dylan album

• Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭randd1

Most contact team sports are now over-coached and more and more maverick spontaneity is being taken out of them in the last 20 years.

Hurling, soccer, rugby, football, even the less popular ones on this island like hockey and Aussie Rules, a lot of the players seem to be working off a play by numbers routine as opposed to anything resembling outlandish, the safe option taken over the risky one because that's what the stats say.

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭rathfarnhamlad

The Osmonds were actually not a bad band

• Registered Users Posts: 38,283 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

A Sinn Féin lead government here could lead to a return of the troubles here

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭tesla_newbie

I prefer dealing with Irish people when it comes to a phone based customer service role , competency is more assured

Advertisement