Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hamas strike on Israel - Threadbans in op - mod warning in OP updated 19/10/23

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,921 ✭✭✭Cordell

It depends where and when and how you're expressing those political opinions. For example many of my political opinions that I can freely express in most places will absolutely get me sacked if I express them in my place of work or on social media accounts that are linked with my professional life - that is where my account also links me with my employer's by having my place of work and my role visible in the profile. It may be a dangerous road but we're not starting on it now, but we're already a long way in. And she was supposed to know all this.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,174 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

It's only "true" to someone who's entrenched in a particular side and wants to portray a falsehood, or is too lazy to briefly google something.

This is the flag of Hamas...

This is the flag of Palestine...

And the above has been pointed out to you before.

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭Sir_Name

From Amnesty

UN - who actually have people on the ground within Gaza

Latest: Occupied Palestinian Territory/Israel | OHCHR

Anyone with a pair of eyes on their head, looking at social media, the news reports with the levels of destruction/pictures of injured would reasonably ascertain that +1,000 people have died within Gaza.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,507 ✭✭✭✭walshb

This is just it...one could agree 100 percent with Courtney's views here, but not agree that she can openly and publicly state these views while working for an Israeli company, and expect no comeback.

It's about where and how one expresses their opinions and views, and that there can be consequences involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Nope, that's an Islamic shaddah it's not Hamas,it's seen all across the middle east and further afield sometimes in white,some times in green and sometimes in black,

It's not the flag of hamas,for the most part the experts say Hamas has no actual flag , but then again that's Wikipedia for you

• Advertisement

As much as you keep trying to squirm out of your lie, it'll still be a lie.

You quoted Amnesty lol .

Yeah unfortunately the UN are not counting casualties dead or otherwise they are reporting according to hamas what they are saying is the casualties

Direct question - yes/no answer will suffice. Do you think +1,000 people have died in Gaza since Oct 7th.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,748 ✭✭✭Large bottle small glass

The limitation on Israeli deaths is down to the limitation of Hamas's technology (and that of their brethren) not their ideology.

Hamas want Islamic law on all middle east land and all Jews/Christians removed and will do whatever it takes to do.

If they had the means it would be a holocaust cheered on a supported by a lot of the middle east and indeed Western universities and the like( on the basis of pre Israeli strike back demonstrations in London and elsewhere).

“Looking at social media”

The last place i’d be looking for accuracy. Depends on who’s posting the info at the end of the day doesn’t it.

”the news reports”

Again, where are they sourcing their info from? If it’s from Hamas only, you need to gauge for yourself how accurate are their figures.

• Advertisement

At this stage you are being deliberately obtuse. If I was sprouting numbers like 10k+ maybe just maybe I would have conceded, however social media shows directly and I am not talking about reporting, its real time visible dead bodies injured parties. I am actually shocked that I even am explaining this.

'If this was a school shooter, hiding out in a classroom when would it ever be morally acceptable to bomb the entire school.' Answer. Never.

However this is whats happening to Palestinian people. For the love of god 50% of their population is under 18. That means 50% of the population were not in existence when Hamas (with the help of Israel initially might I add) were elected. That's not included an of the people who would even have been too young to vote. And people on here essentially cheering Israel on, I am ashamed of you all who are. I don't have all the answers, or solutions to this but what I do know this is wrong and this is not the solution.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,921 ✭✭✭Cordell

Until something changes Palestinian army and government is Hamas, voted in by about half of them while the other half voted a slightly less radical version of Hamas, stemming from the same organisation and movement seeking the dissolution of Israel and all Jews from that territory. The fact that these factions were or still are at war is of no consequence, its just their power struggle.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Not sure supporting terrorist violence against your companys owners could be construed as gross misconduct.

The following is not an exhaustive list and it comes with the warning that every case is different. Even when you believe that the employee may be guilty of an act of gross misconduct similar to one of the examples below, you still have to follow the correct procedures before dismissing them.

Sexual harassment

Deliberate fraud

Sleeping at work

Fighting, physical assault, abuse

Unable to carry out work tasks due to the consumption of drus or intoxicants

Possession of illicit drugs, or their supply or use

Making a false allegation of injury in the workplace

Deliberate refusal to carry out legitimate instructions

Deliberate damage to company property

Deliberately poor work performance

Breach of company confidentiality policy by sharing sensitive information with competitors.

Stealing

Inappropriate behaviour towards clients

Use of company property without obtaining prior approval

Bullying, harassment,victimisation, breach of anti-discrimination policy

Accepting or offering bribes

indecent behaviour

major breaches of health and safety rules

The test for gross misconduct is “Would it be reasonable to consider this action to be a serious breach of acceptable workplace behaviour.”

From employment rights^^^^^ Not sure which one of these it falls into.If she posted it from a work pc during working hours they could get her for "use of company property without prior approval"

Thats about the only one I could see carrying some weight.

Depends on the circumstances though - if she posted it on her own time, on her own pc then theyre out of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭Beta Ray Bill

It's a Tawheed flag and the various colours you mention represent different types of Islam or were used during certain Calipahtes (I think)

The main colours are Black, White, Green and Red

Islamic offshoots and branches are extremely complicated and difficult to understand.

Like the Taliban use a white version of that flag

For anyone interested The Arabic reads "There is no god but Allah, and Muhammad is his messenger"

Allah is the same lad JC's Da and is also the same God as Yahweh

• Registered Users Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭ArthurDayne

Well I'd respectfully disagree with you there. The Geneva Conventions certainly cannot be described as universally accepted in the context of this topic as Israel has not even ratified all of them. Israel doesn't recognise the International Criminal Court either and more or less told them to f**k off in an attempted 2021 war crime investigation.

The Geneva Conventions were put in place at a time when the world was very much commanded by, and most countries were under the strong influence of, the US, United Kingdom, France and the Soviet Union. These were the main powers influencing the form that the Geneva Conventions and much of the text reflected the manner in which they wanted to have freedom to fight their own future wars. For example, almost all of them were dealing with some form of insurgency within their own territories and did not want the Convention to restrain their ability to restore colonial authority — so the internal conflict rules were a vague fudge at that time.

The rules have been built on that foundational context and while I stress again that they are on balance a good thing, I don't believe they should be taken as a constraint on what we as citizens deem to be war crimes.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,520 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

"voted in by about half of them"

That's actually not true.

• Registered Users Posts: 936 ✭✭✭boetstark

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭THE_SHEEP

Nice to see Richie Boyd Barrett and other " Leftists" address the suffering of these Muslims ........

( Woopsie !! I forgot , they won't , Israel not involved .......... 🙄) .

• Registered Users Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

" enough warming up, you have Jews with you in every place. You should attack every Jew possible in all the world and kill them."

Fathi Hamad, political leader of Hamas.

These types of quotes are everywhere, Hamas did not change. It just changed tactics, it has always been about extermination between the river and the sea and it won't stop there, as this is not about any nation state for them.

The wave of solidarity towards them will not change them nor will it prevent them from moving on to gays, women and so forth once the Jewish issue is dealt with, be careful what ye wish for, the killing won't be confirmed to those between the river and the sea that ye want gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭Long Sean Silver

Israel is over-reacting, just as Hamas knows they would. and in doing so they are losing world-wide support/sympathy. murdering kids is not a good look for a supposed democratic, liberal state.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,739 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

I agree it's extremely distasteful if she did not condemn Hamas for what they did,but even so I still believe if this post was on her private time and her employers name was not mentioned on her profile it was wrong to sack her. However, If due process was followed then you could argue she had a choice to make, this company is not consistent with my moral values therefore I'm resigning.

She may have believed due to Irish employment law there is no way the company would actually go ahead and sack her. This is why she will most likely win a court case if she takes one against her former employers

Not true, your source is unreliable Hamas has no dedicated flag ,

It's a simple fact so yes the Palestinian flag is the Hamas flag and the Hamas flag is the Palestinian flag

But a quick browse on google , Islamic flags

• Registered Users Posts: 11,022 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

They have already fully lost support and sympathy. Even those obliged to shore up Israel are appalled at their actions.

Time for our own government to stand up and take a diplomatic stance by removing ambassadors on both sides.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭ArthurDayne

Well if you look at it this way:

Moral wrong = something which is considered subjectively by one or many people to be morally wrong.

Legal wrong = something which is considered subjectively by one or many people to be morally wrong and for which there is an official sanction or punishment for committing.

They aren't that different. Legal wrongs are just moral wrongs that are made punishable by a legal authority. They both come from the same subjective interpretation of right and wrong, and similarly the discussion of whether a moral wrong is a legal wrong can itself come down to a subjective legal interpretation of wording that the military powers are naturally happy to have interpreted as narrowly as possible in the context of their own violent acts.

If there are two evils in this argument — the overuse of the term 'war crime' and the underuse of it — I think I am comfortable with which is the lesser evil.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,386 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

This same logic applies to Likud then, Bibi’s party:

a. The right of the Jewish peopleto the land of Israel is eternal and indisputable and is linked with the right to security and peace; therefore, Judea and Samaria will not be handed to any foreign administration; between the Sea and the Jordan there will only be Israeli sovereignty.

b. A plan which relinquishes parts of western Eretz Israel, undermines our right to the country, unavoidably leads to the establishment of a "Palestinian State," jeopardizes the security of the Jewish population, endangers the existence of the State of Israel. and frustrates any prospect of peace.

Not being obtuse at all. We are in the middle of probably the fiercest information war there has ever been with regard all the media platforms that are available out there. If an objective 3rd party source says X is the number of killed and injured, I'll go with that. Until then, I'll be treating all suggested casualty figures with a healthy dose of skepticism.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,739 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

I think Leo made a very good point as to why this is an unwise course of action.

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭keynes

The fact that the leader of the UN has stridently condemned the Israeli's for war crimes and also for their history of land confiscations etc shows who has won the PR war here. I don't even think Hamas would have thought that they'd have most of the world sympathizing with the Palastinian cause so quickly. The response of the Israeli's to all the criticism has been utterly arrogant and has only highlighted how intransigent and dogmatic they are.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,386 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Is it healthy after 2 weeks and THOUSANDS of Israeli bombs dropped by their OWN reporting, to be so skeptical of there at least being a thousand dead when the currently accepted figure by multinationals in situ is over 5-6 thousand now?

• Advertisement

You lied and you know you lied.

You've been here since day one of the thread waving your own little flag. But when you have to resort to lies, it's time to step back and ask yourself why.

This is the flag that Hamas uses to represent itself.

Advertisement