Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hamas strike on Israel - Threadbans in op - mod warning in OP updated 19/10/23

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 83,023 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

One war crime is not a golden ticket to more war crimes

• Registered Users Posts: 13,826 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

• Registered Users Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭RoboRat

The Israeli mantra seems to be you're either with us and support everything we do, or you're against us and support terrorism... (or Nazism).

There is no middle ground and there is definitely no place for those who condemn Hamas for their barbaric attacks and also condemn Israel for its vengeful retaliation. The fact that an Israeli diplomat posted that Ireland funds the Hamas tunnels is a testament to their stance on those who question their narrative.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/politics/arid-41253880.html

• Registered Users Posts: 55,701 ✭✭✭✭walshb

She labeled Israel terrorists. Israeli people (regardless of who is in power) will rightly be proper offended by this. She tarnished Israeli people as terrorists. Nothing to do (necessarily) with anyone cheerleading this current campaign.

She must have wanted the sack, as well as attention. Either that, or she’s incredibly silly.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

• Advertisement

I already debunked your claim ,

Unfortunately Wikipedia is as reliable as your mate down the pub

• Registered Users Posts: 13,826 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

No. Likud don't want a war of extermination against all others globally, they have a very strong argument that a 2 state solution does endanger Israelis, it's very obvious after this month.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,225 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Please elaborate - I missed Leo's words of wisdom.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,225 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

They were indeed war crimes but that does not remotely justify the overwhelming military response from Israel against what is essentially a defenceless civilian population. The only thing saving northern Gaza at the moment from obliteration are the hostages held there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,769 ✭✭✭ArthurDayne

Fair enough, but it's a definition that the Israelis do not seem to be interested in arguing about with the International Criminal Court, which they don't recognise or engage with.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭Cordell

What is not true? It was something like 45% for Hamas and the rest went for Fatah (40 something) and other splinter groups of PLO. Being honest and accepting that Hamas has the support of the majority of Palestinians (including those living here) would be the first step in having an objective view of the situation.

The Gaza Strip is 365 km². The population of the Gaza Strip is 2,048,000. That's over 5,600 people per square km. Children account for around 50% of the population of the Gaza Strip, so therefore for each km2, there are around 2,800 children.

On the 12th of October, The Israeli Air Force declared that they dropped over 6,000 bombs on Gaza - that was in less than a week (5 days). That is the equivalent of 16 bombs per square km. We're now 13 days since they declared that figure, and there have been a hell of a lot more bombs. My analytical mind says that the number of dead being quoted is a lowball figure and if the cleanup ever happens, that figure will be a lot higher, a LOT.

The ICC isn’t their friend, because they engage in international crimes:

Gaza children having to draw their names on their arms so their bodies can be identified in the rubble. 1 year old baby girls who have lost their parents and scream during the next air raids

• Registered Users Posts: 13,517 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

And, instead of going into coalition with Fatah, they *murdered them*.

Support us, if you don't, we will kill you.

A brief history of how, again, bad middle east policy by GWB gave rise to Hamas:

https://slate.com/news-and-politics/2023/10/was-hamas-elected-to-govern-gaza-george-w-bush-2006-palestinian-election.html

The election was 44% Hamas, 41% Fatah, and others.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,414 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Agree with most of that, but at the end "I don't believe they should be taken as a constraint on what we as citizens deem to be war crimes"

I'm afraid that until the overwhelming majority of nations agree on a new set of better rules, we will have to do with the set of rules we got. Individual citizens or groups of citizens can't make up their own rules. And we can't have different rules for different actors / nations. Surely you agree with that?

Also the eyes of the world are on Israel. Should they commit war crimes, this will be known. It will have an enormous impact on the support they get. But I think we can also agree that from the evidence available, it looks like Israel is playing by the book so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,766 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

I find it bizarre neutral people on here picking sides, Hundreds of innocent children have died on both sides, for what ???

They both need to cope the f*ck on & have a cease fire,

It's 2023 people who go out & live there lives based on religious books written thousands of years ago need to checked into mental help facilities ,

While we are on it War is a load of nonsense, a bunch of aul lads in suits have disagreements & thousands of innocent people lose there lives over absolute drivel,

There are no winners in this or good sides just a bunch off arseh*les causing innocent people to die .

Again with the lies again like the hospital bombing that didn't happen and I've been saying This for weeks and now your upset

• Registered Users Posts: 13,517 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

"Founded on the injunction.." What?

Israel was founded on the principle of Zionism. There was strong movement in support of a Jewish state in Israel prior to WWII, for example.

But, "never again" is a compelling slogan for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,290 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Your replies are getting out of control. I've never mentioned anything about the bombing of the hospital.

Take a break from the thread. You doing nothing for either your position or yourself with this continuous nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭Cordell

Right, again the west is somehow responsible for all the evils all the other people do all over the world. And yes, they killed each other for power, big surprise.

• Advertisement

Absolutely agree. The old lads picking the fights should fight each other. The only pathway to peace is to make peace something worthwhile - something they cannot afford to lose.

Look at NI, there are still those looking to stir the pot but they're the outliers. This was achieved by giving both parties peace and prosperity and in essence something to lose if they decided to roll backwards. It takes time for the hostilities to peter out and die, both literally and figuratively but for many who grew up during the troubles and who faced unemployment and poverty, the idea of going back to that is not comprehensible. Unfortunately, I cannot see this happening in the ME due to extreme views and religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,911 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

International law may differ from you in that respect. In the current conflict we have an engagement between a non-State actor - Hamas - and a State - Israel. Different obligations, different principles and different laws apply as to what it and isn't a war crime.

A State has a right under international law to self-defence, a non-State actor does not. A State has a right to use violence in certain circumstances, a non-State actor does not. The failure to understand these differences in international law is behind much of the legal misinterpretation of what has happened in Gaza.

A State can bomb a civilian population under international law, a non-State actor cannot. A state commits a war crime when:

1. "Intentionally launching an attack in the knowledge that such attack will cause incidental loss of life or injury to civilians or damage to civilian objects or widespread, long-term and severe damage to the natural environment which would be clearly excessive in relation to the concrete and direct overall military advantage anticipated;

We are into a judgement call as to whether the bombings in Gaza are clearly excessive in relation to the concrete and direct overall military advantage anticipated. The behaviour of Hamas in taking hostages, beheading children, bombing their own hospital etc. has probably benefitted Israel under international law as it has decreased the threshold for anticipated military advantage. The right to defend Israel and get the hostages back, which Hamas continue to refuse to release, justify the military action under law. If Hamas were to release the hostages, Israel would find it much harder to justify the actions currently being taken.

As always, the above is an opinion on the legal merits of the Israeli actions and should not be taken as morally condoning what Israel are doing.

Easiest way for this to end is for Hamas to release the hostages and apologise for the butchering of children on October 7th and offer those responsible up to an international court for their crimes. Israel would have no justification for continuation.

My argument is that whatever one thinks morally about what Israel is doing, they may well be correctly acting within the confines of international law.

Israel would stop attacking then? Fat chance

That wouldn't explain their aversion to the ICC etc.

The principles of war and sovereignty go back much further than that.

However, a more fundamental principle that you are in breach of goes back even further. When you argue that civilians or citizens should deem things to be illegal by belief and thought rather than law, you are arguing for the rule of the mob rather than the rule of law.

Their aversion to the ICC is meaningless in the context of whether their current actions are in accordance with international law. I believe that they are acting within international law, and I suspect that Russia, China and all the rest will back them at the end of the day too. The alternative is to allow for non-State actors within and outside those countries to usurp the sovereign power of nations.

Whether that is a good or a bad thing is a different question, but it is the law.

As for the release of hostages etc., you now seem to be arguing that it is ok for Hamas (a non-state terrorist organisation) to commit war crimes by keeping hostages as a matter of self-defence, yet you are denying Israel (a sovereign nation) the same right?

Their aversion to the ICC is meaningless in the context of whether their current actions are in accordance with international law.

How is it meaningless???

Amateur opinion that 'believes' they are following international law holds no water.

We were discussing Israel, the western-allied state actor, and its serial pattern of war crimes. Nothing in my post was possible to misconstrue as aid or comfort for Hamas.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭ChickenDish

Israel accuse anyone who criticises them of being anti-semitic and being in support of terrorism - classic case of telling someone "its raining" as you piss in their face. The venom which they use to attack any criticism of their actions is exactly the type of rhetoric they themselves experienced before the formation of Israel.

Their heavy handed tactics have brought them to where they are today, Israel needs someone at the head of the country who sees there in more to gain from peace that weilding a blunt instrument like the IDF - they are like the neighbour everyone in the neighbourhood dislikes more than anyone else.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,649 ✭✭✭Beta Ray Bill

I don't think they wanted to destroy Britain, but there are many that want Unionists off the island. This for me is concerning given that that at least 500,000 people in NI that identify as British. Even today Kneecap have a song called "Get Your Brits Out" and that was only released in 2019

Advertisement