Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Heat Pumps - post here.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,398 ✭✭✭randombar

I need a radiator with an output of 1200 watts @ DT50

I guess I'll have to go with vertical, the ones they linked to dont look great though. https://www.thermtek.ie/vertical-radiators.html

Any recommendations?

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭HotSwap

I got

Yeah. Have a look at this:

i got mine in TJ’s; they seem to have good availability.

I got 3x VFP620ADP and 1 x VFP418ADP and the TW5115C towel rail.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭ECO_Mental

Was just on to my heat pump servicing guy who did it last year around this time and he said to me that I will have to wait until early December before he gets to me.....if I had called a few weeks ago he said I could have been waiting 14 weeks he has so much backlog of work.

Last year when I called him and he was out to me in a week or two. He said hes the only man doing servicing in the south !!

I was just worried that it woudl be about 13- nearly 14months since the last service if he rocked up in Mid December but he said Ill be grand so long as its around a year. I suppose with that backlog they cant complain. Personlly I like getting it serviced just before the heating season just to give a once over but hopfully he might come sooner.

6.1kWp south facing, South of Cork City

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

Thankfully heatpumps are fairly low maintenance, making sure everything is clear of debris (fan/radiator) would be the main thing. A look around yourself now to make sure there's no leaves etc blocking anything

TBH I was kinda inpressed with the service I got last year he checked everything pressures, flow rates, the inline water filters checked, flow rates at all the manifolds, change the anode in the DHW section as I have well water, tested the unfloorheating liquid to see if that had enough stuff? cehecked every thermostat in it etc etc

All for about €300 (if you dont have an anode then €200) great peace of mind considering how much work my A2W HP does

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭gandalfio

I have a Joule/Samsung HP but the service guy is someone they put me on to and approved by them.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 tvmediasrv

Thanks kcross but thinking about it by setting the comfort level on your wall stat to 21c and not changing it, your depending on a 30 eur wall stat/controller (heatmeister dl1) to control your heating. There's no intelligence behind it, just opening and closing, the heat pump doesnt know anything about my room temperatures.

I noticed my controller in the kitchen I turned it up to max set temp 30c for the first time since I first switched it on and it started calling the pump but the room temperature on that stat rose from 21.7 to 23 within 5 mins. When I turned the max temp down to 20c the room temperature on the controller dropped back to 21.7 so looks like that could be faulty aswell. So if im turning up the stat to max 22c before going to bed its getting to that room temp in ten mins and then stops calling again until I manually turn it down in morning the temp drops to below 22c again.

Ive been looking into using weather dependent more and not using the controller stats. daiken altherma has weather dependant mode with a choice of using leaving water temp. been following this guy to get the most efficient heat pump.

does this mean forgetting about the controller stats on the wall, leaving the heat pump going all day, trying to find the wd curve where leaving water is matching the heat loss and comfort level as the equilibrium, is the pump going all day really going to be more efficient.

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭gandalfio

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭alfa_aficionado

There's no link - which guy have you been following?

9.1kWp (5.6E/3.5W)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭alfa_aficionado

9.1kWp (5.6E/3.5W)

If you want his contact details PM me, I’m in Cork but I think he covers a few of the southern counties, don’t know if does he only does Joule/Samsung but he’s an independent contractor so probably not.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,120 ✭✭✭✭KCross

setting the comfort level on your wall stat to 21c and not changing it, your depending on a 30 eur wall stat/controller (heatmeister dl1) to control your heating. There's no intelligence behind it

There is though. The heat pump knows the temp of your underfloor heating and how much heat it is losing (i.e. the temp of the return fluid which is a measure of your heat loss in the house). It uses that to decide how long it needs to run.

At least that's how mine works. Maybe yours is setup differently. I do have room stats as well but I usually set them high so that they are always open and let the HP decide when to come on/off.

the room temperature on that stat rose from 21.7 to 23 within 5 mins.... so looks like that could be faulty aswell.

If you have underfloor heating it would not release heat that quickly so that does look odd.

Ive been looking into using weather dependent more and not using the controller stats.

This is what I use on mine. I really only use the stats for informational purposes. I have one or two rooms I dont use so I turn the temp down on those but other than that the stats are set high (always open) and the HP decides itself when it needs to come on/off.

I can control that some bit by telling it to boost during the night rate electricity and cut back a little during the day but it does come on by day too.

leaving the heat pump going all day, trying to find the wd curve where leaving water is matching the heat loss and comfort level as the equilibrium, is the pump going all day really going to be more efficient.

It wont (or shouldn't) be running "all day". You need to crack open the manual for your HP and understand the settings rather than randomly trying things as you dont want to get a stinker of an electricity bill. Understand the settings first and then make small incremental changes a day or two apart as the underfloor heating will take 2+ days to adjust to each change.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭poker--addict

Ideal world it runs all day but with elec at night half the price I think there is little choice but to run it slightly more hands on especially if one has a buffer or concrete slab to heat up and slowly release heat in day. That said- should be able to avoid messing with stats constantly...

😎

Thats Brilliant, thanks for this it got me thinking and I'm starting to understand the way it all works.

I realistically only need two rooms heated so will increase the stat on the wall to the max temp with just the goal of keeping the flow open, the rest are bedrooms so I think I need a more accurate thermostat in one of the rooms.

I understand to get the right set point need to play around with the weather dependent curve. what feels too hot or too cold could depend on the day and as you mentioned a good reference would be a good temp stat with temp history. So if I can bring the temp on the WD curve too as low as possible without feeling too cold I will have it running as efficiently as possible. Obviously when weather gets colder the set point temp will increase automatically.

So I presume when my leaving water temp gets to my setpoint, the pump will cut out. Im going to get the solar gain etc during the day so pump probably wont be going much during the day, I also have the option to schedule setback, so can decrease -2c during day. at 11pm when my electricity is cheaper I can schedule it to increase by a 1c -2c's above set point to get the pump to kick in or will naturally with the weather dependent mode bring up my setup with the cold weather outside, all just needs trial and error.

John

• Registered Users Posts: 2,891 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

Can I ask what are people seeing as their average daily usage (in kW.h) this month for their heat pump (DHW + Space Heating)? I know there are many, many variables such as size of house, heat loss factor, room temperatures, etc. but just some anecdotal values would be useful for comparison.

For instance, I have a ~240 m2 house, UFH in open plan, aluminium rads elsewhere, well insulated (not sure on heat loss factor, but BER is A3), open plan stat is set 22 deg, elsewhere is set to 20 deg. My average daily usage so far this month is 8kW.h - which seems okay and not excessive, but would be interested to hear other figures.

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭keno-daytrader

Can you spilt the 2 (DHW and heating)? We use about 2.5 kWh a day for DHW.

Only put the heating on this week and use avg 3 kWh per day for underfloor.

House 210sqm 1 zone set at 21.5c

☀️ 6.72kWp ⚡2.52kWp south, ⚡4.20kWp west

roughly same house, temps etc. I dont judge a kwh as a kwh though :I heat the dhw at 2am to 48c as im on electric Ireland night package so 44c 8am to 11, 22c 11 - 8am and 12w from 2am-4am, so roughly under a euro a week to heat the dhw, slightly changing tak with underfloor experimenting a bit as first winter in the house coming but so far roughly under 10eur a week or 42kw roughly for ufh

• Registered Users Posts: 755 ✭✭✭Zenith74

We retrofitted a heatpump earlier this year and did windows etc so, fairly good insulation/airtightness but not passive by a long shot. For October we've been using almost exactly the same amount of power as you on a per square meter of house basis. Haven't really managed to dial-in the heatcurve yet, the house is a bit too warm on the colder days. Are you leaving that temperature set all night too?

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭hero25

Ours in Oct is ~25 units per day for all electricity usage. Ive ~7 years of data at this stage and its pretty consistent........

id be very happy with 8!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 niamho67

Hi guys, hoping someone can shed a little light here, not even sure if I'm on the right forum.

I bought my first house in June. It came with solar panels that heat the water tank for my pump shower. One of the pipes burst in the attic but it was just the pipe that contained the coolant so no water leak. The shower still worked fine up until a few weeks ago. I thought once I put the immersion/heating on it would heat the water for a shower however, it doesn't. The pipes in the hot press are all hot bar one. The system was installed in 2014 by activ8 solar company.

On the panel the thermostat is reading at 7.5 degrees. There are all different settings I've tried messing around with it but nothing heats the shower. My bathroom and kitchen sink has piping hot water so I can't figure out why the shower doesn't. If anyone has any experience here that they could share I would really appreciate it.

Here my moving 7 day daily average for my HP, you can see where when I switched the heating on, before heating I was doing 4-5 kWh/day with heating over the past week or so I am using around 12 kWh/d. I live in a 220m2 house with 4 adults A1 rated all underfloor heating.

Is that 8 kWh/ average over the whole month as I would probaly be around that but I wasnt space heating for the first 2 weeks of the month, but that doenst tell the whole story

Ya I can seperate the two. DHW is about 3-4 kWh with space heating comprising the rest.

Your usage seems very low, fair play, you must be optimising your system. What flow temp have you set as a matter of interest?

Ya I haven't really looked at the compensation curve either.

Ya I just set the stats and leave them be, there is a 1 deg temperature setback on the stats so heating will kick in once it drops below the set point -1. But generally, the house retains the heat overnight and the heating comes on in early morning.

Out of that 25 units, how much is your heat pump consuming though?

Interesting, thanks! Must do my own graph and will post here. We seem to have similar numbers anyway.

Ya that 8kWh figure is an average of the entire month so far

• Registered Users Posts: 2,409 ✭✭✭newhouse87

Cannnot understand how people only use 3kwh for ufh for a day even if its mild. I could use 3kwh when heating starting up for first 2 hours. Any f my friends with ufh seem similar to my usage.

Congrats on the new house! Im sure its a steep learning curve with everything.

Well, its not a heatpump issue anyway! More likely a plumbing issue. might have better luck there : https://www.boards.ie/categories/plumbing-heating

As you have hot water in your bathroom & kitchen the thermal solar is a red herring, (unsure if you got that fixed?) but its not related to this issue. as it would be super unusual to have a separate tank just for your shower.

Id be more focused on the pump for the shower. or the shower itself. The shower isnt getting the hot water, or the thermostatic controller in the shower has stopped working.

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭AnswerIs42

Hi folks, quick question that might seem obvious but I'm not sure. How exactly do you read a flow rate meter? On the attached picture what is the flow rate? Thanks

• Advertisement

Not an expert by any means, But assuming flow is coming from the bottom moving upwards,

Id read the flow as 26, at the top of the thing that floats , More up, more flow. Likely in L/min

Any other numbers on the flow meter, cw617n is the type of brass.

Post edited by graememk on

Advertisement