Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM 2023 Mentored Novices Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭MiniMonstera

On the headphones thing, why not bring them but commit to not putting them in for the first hour. See how you go. Absorb the amazing atmosphere, but have them in pocket for back up. You'll likely not want to put them in at all.

On one of my 32km lsrs I didn't wear headphones the entire time - 4.5 -hours (and I love my music and podcasts) and it was so liberating. I think when things start to feel hard, try and lean into the discomfort and have some positive self talk cues ready for when it happens. Mine is "You are strong" (second person talk is more effective apparently, rather than I am Strong). I get the whole idea of using music as a distraction but to that I say forget distraction, lean into all of it - the good, the bad and the ugly, as its all part of the wonderful experience. Don't deny your brain and mind the full extent of this incredible mental challenge you are undertaking. It's only my first marathon too so want do I know, but I definitely think you would miss out big time.

Post edited by MiniMonstera on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭T-Bird

I'd use my earphones for motivation and coaching during smaller running events, where I would listen to the guided runs in the NRC app. They are a tad cheesy but they provide great guidance and range from small runs to marathons. I did think of using it for the DCM but I'd say the crowd and event will be my motivation for getting me around.

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭kave2

I will be using Soundpeats RunFree. These are air conduction headphones, you can hear your surroundings and have the music as the background.

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭TheRef

If I can chime in on the headphones issue...

Firstly, remember that this is as much your marathon as it is everyone else on the course, whether you are out to win, chasing a time, or running your first or their 50th marathon. We are all in it together.

As it is within the rules to wear earphones (although strongly advised against), if you want to them, do. Don't let anyone put you off because there will be 1000's of people on Sunday wearing them. You don't need to be told that if you can't hear what's happening around you, it increases the chances of something untoward happening. The one warning I would add though is that if you are wearing earpods or similar, you definitely don't want to drop it (and I'm not talking about losing it).

Personally, I wore Shokz last year and barely used them. The only downside was that I felt other runners or spectators were reluctant to say anything to me as they assumed I wouldn't hear them. The plus side was my family could call me and tell me where they were spectating from. This year, after thinking a good while about it, I won't be wearing them. But, that's just me.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,156 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

Just finished my last run of the plan... And I'm locked out 😅 so I might ramble here while I wait for my wife to come back.

I've definitely gotten a bit caught up in the goals/time of the marathon and I suppose in a way lost sight of why I started running in the first place.

One of my biggest fear in life is what I'll do after my parents are gone. And it made me think about how my kids might feel when they were older. And while obviously it's inevitable at some stage, being over weight and unfit I wasn't giving myself the best chance of being here as long as possible for them.

So that's why I wanted to start running. It was never to do a marathon in a certain time, or do a marathon at all, it was just to give myself the best odds possible.

I was enjoying the running, and probably for the first time in the last 5 years I was improving myself compared to the previous year.

The marathon ideas came when I was reading through the 2022 novices thread, I was reading the race reports and they were just so inspiring, I was actually getting emotional reading them! I thought it was definitely something I would like to aspire to one day. Since DCM was sold out it was kind of a safe aspiration!

When the refunded tickets became available the safety net went too, I knew my base fitness was ok to start marathon training, so I had no excuse!

I basically pie in the sky picked 4:30 as my finish time and that number has become the obsession over the training, and as the training went well and that number became more and more possible, I obsessed over it more.

On Monday, my Dad went into hospital with heart issues. It seems like everything is ok (still unclear exactly what it was/is) but it has been a stark reminder of how unimportant 4:30 is.

The marathon training plan has brought me 700km closer to improving my odds for me and my kids, and Sunday, all going well, will bring me another 42k.

I'll still be trying for 4:30, and I'm sure I'll be dissapointed for some time if it doesn't happen, but I'll definitely be happy with my progress this year no matter what happens.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭Laineyfrecks

God, you have me emotional reading that. I hope your dad will be okay. Most of us, as we age, know we need to look after our health better, so running is a great way of doing that, among other things. It is very, very easy to get caught up in numbers & targets, but at the end of the day, it keeps most of us motivated when competing with ourselves for a new PB (it's not for everyone, I know). The numbers only matter to us really, so I would agree completely with your sentiment here of forgetting about them for Dublin & just go to run this marathon as best you can & enjoy the feeling of achievement & pride crossing that line with a huge smile on your face. The reality is that sometimes, unfortunately, it takes something quite serious to happen to remind us that life is so precious; we only get one shot at it, so why get hung up on those extra few minutes instead of being proud as fook that you are one of the lucky ones that actually get to do something so amazing!

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭MisterJinx

I find this really relatable. I started for similar reasons, I was getting older and on and off the smokes for a couple of years, after 20 years on them. I went to an event where we had to do a short obstacle course, I was totally wrecked after it. I was thinking about my future too and what I wanted the kids to see as they grew up and where my own health was going and decided I needed to make a change, and I did and I'm very glad that I did, and I'm delighted that you have too.

I also think it's fine to have goals but, and only from my own experience, I've very much thought of all of this as a journey and not an end state. I've done some triathlon, running and swims. They are all great things to do and adventures in their own right. Sometimes I've hit times goals, others I haven't. Have I been disappointed if I've not hit a time goal, sure I have, especially just afterwards, BUT, when I stand back and look at it in the round I see that I'm in such a better place than I was in 2016 when I actually couldn't run to catch a bus. I've learnt that the journey to being fitter, feeling better in myself and having the structure of getting out and being active has benefitted my life in so many ways that missing an arbitrary time goal isn't the most important thing.

I also think that the type of people who go about doing marathons or similar types of events tend to be a bit goal focused, and it's not a bad thing, it allows you to follow a difficult plan, stick to it, put in the hard work and get a reward at the end. You've come a very long way in a short space of time. go back and look at your early log posts and see where you were at that time and how far you have come, it's amazing, so you've already achieved so much. If 4.30 doesn't happen this time then take that way and see what you'd like to do next on the journey now that you have the experience under your belt and have much more of an idea of how it feels and what it will take. Don't be disappointed, whatever it is it will be an amazing result when you think about the start of the journey last year to now.

Sorry and I forgot to add that I hope your Dad is ok, we had a slight scare last year and it does put everything in perspective.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭rovers_runner

Best of luck, just start easy and enjoy it, life is short and as someone who has done many of these every time you take to the start line is a privilege so treat it as such regardless of prep/fitness on that day.

Don't stress about the time, as one of the many who is over 4 hours on the road we all are just trying to make our way around and enjoy it as much as possible. You'll realise once you get to Clonskeagh road when it thins out and becomes a battle how you wouldn't want to be anywhere else at that moment.

Post edited by rovers_runner on

You're doing an awful lot to change your life in such a short space of time. I'm sure your father and family are immensely proud of your achievements and you should be as well! I have been following your progress whilst reading this thread as your story of weight and finding running is similar to mine when I lost my weight and started running the year before.

The time doesn't make a difference to anything and its something we shouldn't get too strung up on. The goal should be that medal when you collect when you cross that finish line. Youve done it! All those weeks of work has transformed you and has paid off! I guess it's also something I have to recognise as well.

I have done 2 marathons this year and consider them failures, but I guess I have been too hard on myself. The first was Belfast where I was suffering from a bad session of insomnia and didn't really sleep for two weeks or so and went to the start line like a delirious zombie. I managed to finish that one in 4hrs 37 and I saw it a failure because of the amount I walked. The same happened in Longford where I totally fell apart at the halfway stage. I saw two people I used to work with at the water station and shouted to greet them. They said hi, well done and your doing great etc. My concentration was lost then as I started thinking of the time I left that company and what stage my life was in when I left there. I had received news regarding my own family which caused me to have a total breakdown and I went through the most frightening time of my life. My wife and and children and her family were there for me and helped me through it all. But all that came to me after I said hi at the watering station and I just fell apart. My head just wasn't there and my body was aching all over. I think I finished that one 4hrs 51.

My main aim this time it to run and enjoy the dammed thing. Enjoy the experience and hopefully have the guts to meet some fellow Boardsies (?) and say hi, thank you and we did it!!!

Edit:

Just to add, I run now because of what it does for my headspace. It has been far better help to me than any counsellor I have ever seen. So I need to stop being so hard on myself and enjoy the fact that I am able to do this and run all the races I do and enjoy life...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭rovers_runner

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,392 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

A really great post @witnessmenow and one I think many others can relate to.

I hope your father is doing ok now.

Like others I started running because of my family - I was very settled down in my late 20s with husband, kid, house, office job. I wasn't overweight but I wasn't fit and the young lad was around 8 and I was very aware of my sedentary lifestyle and trying to show a good example to him.

My running "journey" has had it's ups and downs over the last 10 years. It has done so much for my physical and mental health and fitness, as well as for my family. I've met some wonderful people through running and stepped outside my comfort zone. I honestly could not imagine what my life would be like now if I hadn't started up running.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

Some questions to help your last min prep for Sunday. The very best of luck to everyone running on Sunday - have a fantastic day, smile and ENJOY 🙌

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

I’m so excited for you all at this stage. You’ve all done great training and I hope everybody has a great day on Sunday. I had really hoped to make it up to support but I just can’t justify it when I’m not running - hopefully I’ll be back next year. I’ll be tracking everybody though and dot watching for the morning. I hope loads of you go to McGrattans and meet up after - it’s absolutely brilliant there. It will be heaving so maybe plan where and how to find each other. Mobile reception wasn’t great in there last year.

Enjoy the next few days, try to eat well and make sure you are hydrating really well …. Ideally earlier in the day so you aren’t waking multiple times during the night.

When the going gets tough try to smile … use the crowds or talk to people around you and that will pass. If you are finding it tough early on then pull back and chill for a bit. In years to come when you look back at your first marathon you don’t want to remember torture … so hold yourselves back, enjoy it and cross that finish line smiling for the cameras!

Well done @MisterJinx - you have done a fantastic job guiding everybody to the start line. Hopefully you’ll have a fantastic day out too.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Nothing Like marathon running to get the emotions flowing . Hope your dad is on the mend, The best of luck on Sunday.

Thanks everyone for the well wishes, my Dad is back home today and doing well, so I can get back to obsessing over times again 😅

Final run last night. Was supposed to be 30mins easy and ended up a little quicker than easy as the rain started as we set off and just kept getting heavier and we wanted to be done and out of the rain as soon as possible. Anyone else being wrapped in cotton wool?! Been wearing a beanie hat when I go outside and a buff on my head when running this past week. Drinking a revive every day. Radiator on beside me in work.

Saw the DCM Facebook post saying 3 DAYS LEFT! I think that's the first time it really hit me. At the same time it still feels like weeks away...

I know.... I have to go collect my bib TOMORROW!?

I'm definitely being told not to do things in case I get injured alright!

I even went out to the spare room last night to try get a full night's sleep as we've had kids coming in the middle of the night for the last few nights

• Registered Users Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭Lambay island

As a previous novice using this thread and also a previous support mentor, I can relate to how you are all feeling now.

The mind will work on overdrive but don't be wasting time worrying about anything that is out of your control like weather etc. Thank yourself first, then your significant others as getting to this point is a massive achievement. The mentors led by @MisterJinx have supported you brilliantly along the way and you are in a great place(better than the majority of first timers) to take on DCM. Get yourselves to bed early the next two nights and again on Saturday night you may not have the greatest of sleeps but anyone taking on the race for the 1st or 40th time will be the exact same. It wont matter as you are prepared and tapered and the body will be raring to go come Sunday. Go out conservatively , soak up that atmosphere and enjoy the occasion as you wont have another First Marathon but hopefully plenty more nonetheless.

Best of luck all, enjoyable following all the progress from afar!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭j2

I read online suggestions that taking salt tablets while you're maximising hydration in the days coming up to the race is a good idea, any thoughts on that?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,682 ✭✭✭Trampas

I might have a dioralyte but don’t over think it. There is no list you tick off to be perfect for the start line. I take salt tablets during long runs but each to their own.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭Dublinlad1989

Lads and Ladies just wanted to pop in to say good luck on Sunday!

I did the Boards novice program last year as my first marathon and i'm hooked now, you have had absolutely fantastic mentors and my one piece of advice for Sunday is enjoy it as much as possible.

High five as many people as you can, smile as much as possible (when i was told this at 34km last year i thought it was some sick joke) but it makes such a big difference. The crowds in Dublin are fantastic and you're going to love every minute of it.

Good luck and i'll see you out on the Course :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,740 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

Best of luck to everyone on Sunday. You'll be the most prepared of all the debut marathoners out there thanks to the great work of @MisterJinx and his team. Look back to where you were at the start of the summer and you'll recognise that you've been on a great journey, you should all be very proud of yourselves - Sunday is your victory lap. Enjoy it!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

I usually take zero tablets for a few days beforehand though the Runners Diary podcast had an interview last week with Precision Hydration who said load up the evening before and morning of as you just pee it out anyway. Won’t do any harm anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭chabsey

Best of luck to all running on Sunday, I'm a little envious of you all experiencing for the first time the amazing buzz of marathon morning.

Has everyone settled on what they're having for breakfast the morning of? I'm still undecided.

No caffeine from today for me and my unruly bowel! 🤪🤣😆 Will also cut down on fiber as many have suggested.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭bazwaldo

Bit undecided about breakfast too. I have porridge with raisins and milk every morning but find it a bit heavy before LSRs. Tempted to have cornflakes and white bread toast. Or maybe I just need to eat a bit longer before I run, which will likely be the case as I am aiming to be there for around 8am when wave 4 baggage drop opens so it'll be ages after breakfast before I start running.

I'm leaning towards porridge and a banana as it'll be a good while between eating and running so I don't want to get hungry. Might bring a second banana along too

• Advertisement

In training I’ve had 2 weetabix and milk before my long runs. When I did Tarmonbarry I found I was a bit hungry before gel time as I’d greater time elapsed between brekkie and run. Thinking I’ll have a slice of toast when I get up around 5:45, bring 3 weetabix and a small flask of milk to have when we land in Dublin around 8am and bring a small banana to the starting pen just in case.

Advertisement