Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

N and L plates both displayed.

• 26-10-2023 11:19am
    Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

What is this practice about?

Is it just laziness that the correct plate isn't displayed? Imagine a car driven by a Learner, a Novice, and a full license holder (with experience). The plates don't apply properly to any of them.

Whilst I understand the reasoning behind displaying the appropriate plate it makes no sense at all to display both, and it must be confusing to the average motorist who encounters such a car.

The answer of course is to use magnetic L and N plates which are easily and quickly changed.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 238 ✭✭AmpMan

You must be easily confused 🤣

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,920 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

I will never understand why this bothers people so much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭dashoonage

i still have a Novena 1997 sticker up

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Why do people display L and N plates at all? - It's a legal obligation.

The only certainty in someone displaying both is that it's incorrect. Same as non displaying any plate really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 911 ✭✭✭steve-o

OP, wait until you see N and L together, with the L facing the wrong way...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,558 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Has @AMKC taken over your body?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 238 ✭✭AmpMan

I have an N & L plate on my car just to piss people off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,029 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Likelihood as you said, both learner and newly licensed driver use the car. Possible laziness but life is to short to worry too much about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭User1998

I’ve never been confused by it, nor have I ever cared.

I thought it was obvious anyway? It’s usually the parents car who has two children, one who is a novice and who is a learner. Or a novice driver who shares a car with a learner?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,631 ✭✭✭Aint Eazy Being Cheezy

Would you stop.. if it’s a shared car and it’s 7am on a winter morning, I’m not fluting around taking down someone’s L plates. If you see any type of plate on a car, keep a wary eye on them on roundabouts, and don’t lean on the horn if they stall it at the lights. Otherwise, what does it matter?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,693 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Its easy, thats the new sign to show you support the way of the Dutch :P

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,797 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Those magnetic jobbies fall off and get robbed.

It's just convenience. I drive my partners car an odd time, she is a learner so has L plates up. The difference in treatment on the road when I'm driving with L plates on versus my own car is nothing short of disgraceful a lot of the time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,117 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

Its effectively illegal to have both up.

Why?

Your not supposed to have anything inessential on your front window that could block your view. If you are displaying both N and L then one of them is inessential.

https://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/1963/si/190/made/en/print#article34

(b) all glass and all safety glass fitted to a vehicle shall be maintained in such a condition that it does not obscure the vision of the driver while the vehicle is being driven and shall be kept free of inessential objects or inessential stickers;

Now I've never heard of anyone getting done for having both and doubt it would ever happen but it might if a Garda was desperately looking for something to pull you up on.

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,797 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Your DDC parking sticker is "inessential" as well as your work car park sticker, AA sticker etc.

You could also argue L and N plates are both "inessential" even if driver is learner or novice. As well as your tax, insurance and NCT. The law says they must be displayed, not that they be stuck to the windscreen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

No chance of it ever being enforced.

Near every car in the country has a dealer sticker on the rear window. Most safety glass has manufacturer logos, and many people have stickers, sun visors, legal tints etc.

All of these could be called "inessential"

Besides, I see many people with L and N plates on their bumper or bonnet.

I still have the yoke from the ferry hanging from my rear view mirror.

Good point maybe all L and N plates should be displayed on the bumper on bonnet?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭Miley Byrne

Ah shur the magnetic ones wouldn't stick to the glass at all at all

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,773 ✭✭✭cython

By that logic dashcams are illegal if mounted on the windscreen (which most are, obviously), as they're not essential by any means.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

The surround that they attach to magnetically does however.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,040 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

The amount of people with their phone mounted in the middle of the windscreen shows how well that's enforced.

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

The amount of people that have it mounted front and centre of where they are looking is terrifying!

Anyway, my understanding of the N and L platers legality is that if you are not an L driver, it is an offence to drive with it on. Id assume the same as an N plate.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,656 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Tried magnetic ones for my learner kid and the one on the rear came off the first time I took them out

When I put one on the rear window it was hardly visible due to tinting

So I have N plates for the 18yo who has now passed his test, but his sister is still on L plates. If I try and take off the adhesive ones every time one or other kid got in the car I would be destroying the planet with all the wasted plastic, and my wallet with the wasted money. Hence until my daughter gets through her test I'm "risking" both. I suspect other drivers will get the message that the driver may not be someone who has been driving on a full licence for 45 years, unless they glance at the drivers seat and see a balding geriatric at the wheel.....

• It’s often a shared car in a household with a couple of learner drivers at different stages.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Sumimasen

My take on it has always been that L is the more strict of the two so in the case of both a learner and a novice having use of a car the L plate only should be displayed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭mohawk

I see it. It’s usually on a parent’s car. It has very little impact on me as a driver if I don’t know if they are an L or an N. Just don’t be an aggressive i***t behind the wheel and give them a chance to take off.

To be honest once my plates came down I found there was a huge reduction in other drivers being bullies or aggressive towards me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 877 ✭✭✭65535

They are either from the Netherlands or like to display notices about Electric Live and Neutral.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭KLF

I refer to these drivers a Dutch drivers 😄

One valid reason is it’s a shared car and there is both a learning and novice driver using the car. Most people just don’t look at rules closely and think the N plate is an additional plate after passing the driving test.

The average motorist doesn't care what plates are displayed. Yeah, there are some who take it upon themselves to bully L drivers on the road, it doesn't alter the behaviour of most on the road.

The Garda at a checkpoint might confirm if a driver is fully licensed if they are displaying N plates but other than that, not many on the road would be too bothered about either plate being displayed let alone 2 on a car. Its been mentioned in other replies, some find it handier to leave them on. Hardly the end of the world if they do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 666 ✭✭✭Yeah Right

Laziness, followed by the fact that you can get points if you forget to switch them at any point.

The Guards will do SFA if they see you with both, but if they see you're on a learner license and there's no L-plate then it's time for points.

So can we agree that:-

1/. L driver not displaying correctly is illegal.

2/. L driver driving solo is worse whether or not they have L plates displayed.

But

3/. It's absolutely fine to display both L and N plates (even on a motorway) with a fully licensed driver at the wheel just because it's too much trouble to take down the plates?

My view is that if it's important enough to display an L or N plate that it's a legal requirement to make such a driver more visible to other road users, then it's also equally important that the correct plate relating to the driver is shown at all times, and that displaying both has to be wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Buffman

Some people seem to be under the mistaken impression that there's something illegal about having both L and N displayed. It isn't an offence here to drive with a plate that doesn't apply to the driver. Offences occur when the correct plate for the driver is not displayed, so I wouldn't blame anyone for leaving all of them on to avoid costly mistakes when multiple drivers are using it.

On the practical side of things, you only get a few shots at taking the sticky ones on and off before they get wrecked and have to be replaced or sellotaped on. Having the experience of sellotape residue stuck all over the windscreen, it's not something I'd recommend. Magnetic ones are not reliable and are easily lost or stolen, as well as risking scratching you're paintwork. Personally I found sticky ones left on the bumpers to be best as no visibility issues and the sticky residue can be easily cleaned off a plastic bumper. (Obviously in between the parking sensors 🤣)

IMO of all the things to moan about regarding driving in Ireland this issue doesn't even make the bottom of the list.

In a country that legally requires motorists to plaster their windscreens with 'inessential' tax, insurance and test discs it would be a very brave Garda to attempt to go to court on that law. (They're inessential as every Garda now has a phone app that checks all that stuff instantly.)

FYI, if you move to a 'smart' meter electricity plan, you CAN'T move back to a non-smart plan.

You don't have to take a 'smart' meter if you don't want one, opt-out is available.

Buy drinks in 3L or bigger plastic bottles or glass bottles or cartons to avoid the DRS fee.

In a country that legally requires motorists to plaster their windscreens with 'inessential' tax, insurance and test discs it would be a very brave Garda to attempt to go to court on that law. (They're inessential as every Garda now has a phone app that checks all that stuff instantly.)

Your definition of inessential and while they may not want to take it further a great excuse to stop anyone displaying both in their windscreen.

• Advertisement

I get where you're coming from but in Ireland no 'excuse' at all is needed for a Garda to stop any vehicle on a public road.

FYI, if you move to a 'smart' meter electricity plan, you CAN'T move back to a non-smart plan.

You don't have to take a 'smart' meter if you don't want one, opt-out is available.

Buy drinks in 3L or bigger plastic bottles or glass bottles or cartons to avoid the DRS fee.

Having both up on the passenger side wont obscure the driver. No more than having other stickers on a windscreen, without question:

"Essential healthcare worker" - Many still up, what's the requirement for them to come down? The "pandemic" is over. By the logic of some on this thread, these should not be on a windscreen. And nobody displaying them should be on the road until removed.

"Parking stickers" again, displayed by many but according to this thread, illegal to be on a windscreen.

AA/RAC/etc stickers - often overlooked but not essential. Just shows you pay a fee to have your car/vehicle collected if it breaks down. But the recovery agent wont go looking for the sticker. They'll cross reference the make, model and reg plate to be sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Sumimasen

Sounds ideal but in reality nobody is climbing in back seats fiddling about with display stickers every time they get in the car, or even keeping a stock of fresh stickers to change the ones that become unusable after removing and reapplying a few times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,176 ✭✭✭✭josip

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,815 ✭✭✭creedp

Agree with that take. Think the N plate is unecessary anyway , just bureaucracy gone mad. Personally I treat all cars the same and tbh it would appear a lot of drivers should never remove the L plate

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭youtheman

Never bothers me seeing both plates. I just assume it is a 'shared' car. What I can't understand is someone who cuts off the white bit of the plate and just has a red letter 'L' on the windscreen !!!.

They are just letting the world know they have small willys.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,852 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

That was very fashionable back in the 2000's!

I think it's mainly because it made the L less noticeable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,176 ✭✭✭✭josip

Or obscures less of the driver's field of view perhaps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 761 ✭✭✭GSBellew

Possibly because it defeats the purpose of displaying any plate, you see an L and you know there is a chance they will dither about, be slow moving off from junctions, get confused, do something unexpected etc but they are a learner so you are a bit more tolerant to them, give them a bit of extra space, not get pissed off with them for making the inevitable mistakes.

N, well they should be competent having passed a test but not always so still be a bit more patient with them.

No plates, should be a fully licensed driver, so if they do something stupid feck them out of it.

'Failure to display L plate or tabard' and 'Failure to display N plate or tabard' are separate offences. The penalty for both is the same, starting with 2 points and €120 fine rising to 4 points and €240 fine.

Other than altering other drivers that you've just passed your test recently, I don't see what displaying an N plate achieves. Another money fine collecting money spinner.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,873 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Look, an L or N plate made of vinal is very flexible and will adhere to a window with a little spray of water and a rub of a dry cloth. It takes just a few seconds and less to take it down.

It is obviously for reasons other than the problem the difficulty of fixing the plate, so why?

I think the AGS should be enforcing the rules. It would take a few high profile cases to wipe out the practice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭User1998

Why are people so bothered about L or N plates on a strangers car?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,810 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

Displaying both at the same time should attract the attention of the Gardaí. If there's one person in the car, it could be an unacomopanied learner driver. If there's two, it could be a learner being accompanied by a novice, which is illegal. They should be pulled over on sight and licences checked

• Advertisement
Advertisement