Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hamas strike on Israel - Threadbans in op - mod warning in OP updated 19/10/23

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭crusd

Seems to be a common theme:

Anti-Semites Criticise Israel there everyone who criticises Israel are Anti Semites

Hamas attacks Israel, Hamas are Palestinians, therefore attacking Palestinians is attacking Hamas.

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭Long Sean Silver

Good point.

Israel and it's supporters are desperate to push their side of the story. unfortunately for them, the whole world can see exactly what it is doing, the crimes, mass-murder & atrocities they are committing. i know they do not like to be reminded of this, and will immediately flash the "anti-semitic" card to try and shut down discussion.

thankfully we still live in a democracy where people can express their opinions, and show people the truth of what is happening.

and it's not just you or me they want to shut down, brave people like our President Michael D Higgins, and the Sec. General of the UN António Guterres are in the firing line also!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,986 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

Both sides are doing the same thing. It's interesting that people only see one side of it, and will consistently only criticize one side.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,386 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Something very ironic about stereotyping most all criticism of Israel as antisemitism.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,524 ✭✭✭brickster69

“The earth is littered with the ruins of empires that believed they were eternal.”

- Camille Paglia

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,680 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

There is a large dose of anti-Semitism on this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,986 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

Both sides doing the same thing.

Despised? I doubt there's anything you can think of that hasn't already been done (to either side). As such dire warnings of "or else" are pretty hollow" (for both sides).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,053 ✭✭✭McFly85

There is also a lot of criticism directed towards the Israeli government and its actions.

They are entirely separate.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭Hoop66

The mask has slipped a bit here, forgot to say "Zionists" instead of "Jews". Revealing rather more than you might have hoped. Reported.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,680 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

And there are posters denying the anti-Semitism rampant across the thread, some of it cleverly disguised.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,011 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

Have you read the link in the post?

"Israel" would mean the state, always has done and always will

• Registered Users Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭ArthurDayne

There is more Islamophobia in the West now than there is anti-Semitism. That's not to take away from the issue — anti-Semitism persists, Jews are still targeted and are still the subject of crazy conspiracy theories. But in this century we have seen Muslims become the subject of hatred, targeting and stereotyping in the West — quite openly and even right up to offices of State — whereas anti-Semitism seems more limited and constrained these days. It's just as easy to suppose that many peoples' views on Palestine are coloured by Islamophobia as it is to say that views on Israel are coloured by anti-Semitism.

Personally however, I think many more people are just guided by a perception of what they feel is right, justified and proportionate — regardless of the religion — and that Israel being the infinitely stronger party in this conflict with the power to dictate the situation in a way the Palestinians cannot means that they will come under criticism through that lens. Attributing that criticism to anti-Semitism I would surmise is wrong in the overwhelming majority of cases.

Japan slowly rowing back, one of many soon i think

“The earth is littered with the ruins of empires that believed they were eternal.”

- Camille Paglia

• Registered Users Posts: 8,436 ✭✭✭jmreire

Labelling other posters comments as stupid, to my mind says a lot more about you than it does about me, and not seeing the point I was trying to make proves it. And neither am I saying that using the atomic bomb was right or wrong, just making the point that there was two sides to the story. Perhaps, if you saw the results of a bombing, you might have a different opinion too? But one thing is for sure, the sheer destructive force of the Atomic bomb and MAD doctrine it espoused, has meant that it has never been used since. And only a madman (Putin? ) would consider using it now. Had the US not bombed Japan and ended the war, what would the death toll have been? Any comment on that? If Israel did not have the ability to defend itself, would it even exist today? To me, I don't make the difference between burnt and mutilated Men, Women and Children, be they Israeli or Palestine. They all look the same in death. They're wrong, both sides, and I've seen up close and personal what happens when a City, Town or village is Bombed. It sure as hell isn't pretty. Try holding a 7 or 8 year old kid while doctors are working on her with out anesthetics.

As for the "yeah, maybe people should think twice about waging wars"??? Dream on.. men have been killing each other since as long as they've walking the earth. Only difference is that over time, they have improved it to the extent that they now have the capacity to completely destroy all life on the planet. Any ideas on how to change that?.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭Raoul Duke III

There is a very clear difference:

1. Russia attacked Ukraine, without any provocation
    2. Israel was brutally attacked by Hamas, with hundreds of civilians murdered in barbaric fashion. Israel is responding to that initial attack by Hamas.

The two are very different.

i agree both sides are desperate to shape the narrative, but the Israeli propaganda machine is on a different level. they are hugely resourced and highly sophisticated, but as i said previously the whole world can see what they are doing in Gaza. people aren't fools. we know what is right and what is wrong.

i see very little difference between what Netty is doing and what Pootin is doing in Ukraine. a few months ago the Russians targeted a pizza restaurant in Kramatorsk. Later on Wednesday, the Russian defence ministry reported that the target they hit was a “temporary command post” of the Ukrainian army.

This is EXACTLY what the IDF claims to be doing in Gaza. Ya sure they are trying to target Hamas operatives, but heck if a few dozen innocent Palestinian women & children are killed, well that's too bad.

Almost word for word from the Russian playbook. Both disgusting.

it's a bit like slagging off Thatcher as a war-mongering biatch and being called a misogynist. 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 21,564 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Can you point to some of such posts please. I'm not on here continuously, but have spent a number of hours at a time on the thread across various days and I can honestly say I haven't frequent examples of anti-Semitism. I'm sure there is some, but rampant implies it is very prevalent and what I've seen is a long way from that and more a case of one of posts from young accounts.

In the same way that Palestine does not equal Hamas, disapproval of Israel's action does not equal anti-Semitism.

Big discussion going on lads, you could have some bloke with a whistle like in a football match.

- Camille Paglia

• Registered Users Posts: 20,981 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

It's hamas that did this to Palestine not Israel

• Advertisement

Well done Spain!

to paraphrase Fr. Ted, "i hear you are an anti-semite now! how did you get into that sort of thing Prime Minister Pedro Sanchez?" 😮

"Of the two dozen journalists who have died, 20 were Palestinian, three were Israeli and one was Lebanese. At least eight other journalists have been reported injured, while three others are believed missing or detained, according to the CPJ."

:(

Some people are angrier at Israel for responding to the attack than they are about Hamas committing the attack to begin with.

It's a bizarre set of circumstances.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,564 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Not even Israel is claiming this.

That's how wide of the mark you are.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,011 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

Just to add

3. Russia-Ukraine war has very little to do with religion

4. Russia did ground invasion without a care to civilian lives

• Registered Users Posts: 11,022 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

"If Hamas were to release the hostages, Israel would find it much harder to justify the actions currently being taken."

The problem with this is that Israel is not a normal state - it is filled with suspicion of and hatred towards their neighbours. I believe they would have absolutely no compunction in levelling a substantial part of the Gaza strip if and when they get the chance. They'd call it self defence and de militarising/ de nazifying whilst obliterating countless innocent & guilty people.

Thankfully the US seem to have some leverage and can pull on the collar.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,317 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

I don't speak for everyone else, but there is a difference between saying 'no war crimes have been committed' and denying that 'X is conclusive evidence of a war crime being committed.' If something may or may not be lawful, the general standard we tend operate under in the West is 'innocent until proven guilty', and we as Internet observers are absolutely not in a position to make that determination since we lack all relevant information in these instances.

As for how it would work in practice, the good news is that in a modern context there probably are records kept which may be perused at some time in the long term and the advantage or lack thereof could thus be determined. It's highly unlikely, however, that such records will be made publicly available in the near future. In ye olden dayes, it would have to be proven by the prosecution. However, there haven't been any particular war crimes trials which have required such a thing since the laws of war were changed after WWII, when dropping bombs on civilians was just part of doing war, so the question right now seems to not have a demonstrated answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭Raoul Duke III

Tom Friedman making some great points in the NYT today. To paraphrase (my notes in brackets):

• Netanyahu is a bad actor - what Israel needs is a PM that would declare an end to West Bank settlement expansion and to overhaul relations with the PA, such that it can credibly govern a post-Hamas Gaza. (to me, these seem very far from being realised)
    • Israel can only build proper legitimacy with its allies if it stops annexing West Bank land (unarguable)
    • Israel is fighting a fully-fledged war in Gaza against Hamas - Hamas still has residual capacity to launch rockets daily and even to launch a seaborne attack on Israel on Thursday. He notes that its terrifying to see the resources Hamas has devoted to building its military capability versus Gaza's evident human poverty. (this is something that doesn't get enough attention)
    • Netanyahu's coalition actually helps Hamas - by behaving in ways that actually help unify the various anti-Israeli fronts. This includes the restrictions they placed on Temple Mount, putting harsher conditions on Palestinian prisoners in Israeli jails and planning an acceleration of settlement building (can't argue with that, Netanyahu is pandering to the right wingers in his cabinet - the quid pro quo is him staying out of jail)
    • The normalisation of relations with Arab countries was proceeding further - the Saudi deal would have been the crowing achievement of that
    • Iran is key and is the ultimate bad actor in the region. It controls 4 failed states through its proxies; Lebanon, Syria, Iraq and Yemen.

key quote:

To reduce this incredibly complex struggle of two peoples for the same land to a colonial war is to commit intellectual fraud. Or as the Israeli writer Yossi Klein Halevi put it in The Times of Israel on Wednesday: “To blame the occupation and its consequences wholly on Israel is to dismiss the history of Israeli peace offers and Palestinian rejection. To label Israel as one more colonialist creation is to distort the unique story of the homecoming of an uprooted people, a majority of whom were refugees from destroyed Jewish communities in the Middle East.”

But here’s what’s also intellectually corrupt: buying into the Israeli right-wing settler narrative, now being spread far and wide inside Israel, that Hamas violence is so savage it clearly has nothing to do with anything settlers have done — so more settlements are just fine.

(I agree - beware the simplifiers)

My view: This is a territorial dispute between two people claiming the same land which needs to be divided as equitably as possible. Such a compromise is the cornerstone for any success against Hamas. So, if you are for a two-state solution, you are my friend and if you are against a two-state solution, you are not my friend.

Nebulous complaint. Some people are angry that Israel is open to criticism

• Advertisement
Advertisement