Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hamas strike on Israel - Threadbans in op - mod warning in OP updated 19/10/23

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭boetstark

Would you blame them considering the constant barrage of threats to their very existence.

Even a bloody head cleric from Palestine went to Hitler during ww2 requesting assistance in wiping out jewish population of the area. This was even before Israel was established.

Palestinians have gotten every opportunity to create a life of peace for themselves in a Palestinian homeland and they have f##ked it up for themselves over and over again.

And we have the drivel of society here in europe with their stupid woke rubbish.

How much is a country and a people expected to take before deciding to take out this cancerous threat once and for all.

I am far from an advocate of violence on any race of people but if Israel stop now. I guarantee that this whole sorry cycle of tit for tat violence is never going to end.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,305 ✭✭✭facehugger99

• Registered Users Posts: 3,330 ✭✭✭Francis McM

The Israelis want ( and in my opinion deserve ) a homeland, given what happened to them throughout history and most specifically ww2.

If Hamas laid down their weapons, and released their hostages, there would still be a Gaza, and full Palestinian population. Same as when Israel withdrew from Gaza the last time.

If Israel laid down their weapons, no Israelis would be left alive. We saw a taste of that on Oct 7.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,911 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Hamas are holding hostages, giving Israel every excuse to do what they are doing. Releasing the hostages changes the dynamic and the situation.

It is pretty blatant, the denial from other posters is what is more worrying.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

And that's all it will take is to release every hostage and give back the dead they dragged into Gaza, but what were hearing in this thread is Condem Israel and an humanitarian pause,first .

Hostages first then discussions that or the bombs and tanks will keep coming

• Registered Users Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭Cordell

Probably because the IRA and the Irish were never a threat to UK existence and they never committed the same kind of barbaric mass murders, rape and desecration.

I can't believe that anyone is reducing the effect of releasing the hostages. It is the first thing required to get peace. Nobody can expect Israel to stop while its citizens are being held hostage by a terrorist organisation.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,222 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

It would change the dynamic alright. Of course the situation for the hostages and their families is dire but who could believe a word from this Israeli government or their "defence" forces?? We've all heard the violent rhetoric.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭Raoul Duke III

Yes, it's a false equivalence.

We should treat the situation in Israel\Palestine for what it is, within its own unique context, and not try to throw up numerous poor historical comparisons.

• Advertisement

The situation for the hostages and their families is dire BUT?????? What BUT?

Release the hostages. How can people have got so far from their senses that they just play down the Hamas actions of October 7th. Release the hostages.

Are you saying it is a good thing that the hostages are being kept by the Palestinians as some sort of attempt to keep Israel in check? If not, what is the reason for the BUT????

• Registered Users Posts: 3,582 ✭✭✭amandstu

If all the hostages were released(just a hypothetical) why would Israel still not seek the destruction of Hamas?

Hamas would do it again,next time inflicting worse harm.

It is true that by holding the hostages Hamas gives obvious permission for Israel to attack them and so ,cynically it might be to their advantage to release them .

Even if Israel does go into Gaza how likely are they to be successful in destroying Hamas?

Some will escape and may join up with other groups in Lebanon or elsewhere.

Hopefully if they do they will be followed and destroyed by the host countries.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,222 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

You can't seriously be that naive Blanch?? All that separates the Gaza Strip and Armageddon at the moment are those hostages. The place is utterly defenceless against aerial bombardment. It's not pretty but see straight up that the current Israeli administration is intent on biblical levels of retribution. No one can stand over that and they must be called out on it and stopped.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,016 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

I hazard a guess if the IDF have a number on it they'd like to destroy, at least, 1400 Palestinian residential buildings.

Nowhere near a carpet bombing but the scale is still enormous.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Having hostages hasn't stopped the bombs coming ,400 + bombs in less than 24 hours according to reports,and the first raids into Gaza started last night,if hostages aren't realased the tank will still come there is currently no advantage holding them

• Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭spakman

So they shouldn't stop until what point? All Palestinians have been killed?

There is no justification for the taking of civilian hostages. Among all the talk of war crimes, that is one of the most serious under the Conventions.

Without the hostages, without the raping of women and the beheading of children by Hamas, we wouldn't have a conflict.

What must be stopped are the Hamas terrorists. Release the hostages and deliver those who planned and carried out 7/10 to the International Criminal Court. That is the only route to peace, anyone who thinks otherwise is a fool, or is caught up in a vendetta against Israel and/or the Jews.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,414 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Said it before, the hostages make no difference. If they were all released today, it will be a boost of worldwide support for Hamas "look at how humane they are really" but Israel would still have every right to attack Hamas. I doubt Israel is any more gentle in bombardments because of the hostages. Perhaps freeing hostages would become a side plan during a ground invasion, that's about it

They should stop when the hostages have been released. The taking of hostages is both a war crime and an attack on Israel. Under international law they have a right to self-defence which means getting the hostages back.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,414 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

I'd say they will stop when all of Hamas has been killed or captured or (perhaps by a third state) guaranteed to not ever attack Israel again. I can't see Israel having any other plan than something like that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,633 ✭✭✭brickster69

“The earth is littered with the ruins of empires that believed they were eternal.”

- Camille Paglia

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,411 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

No, some people are angry at the disproportionately agrreaive response, after several decades of illegal land grabbing and settlement of people who have absolutely **** all claim to any land in the area.

Bit they shout anti semitism and shout it loudly and counter it whataboutery.

You can condemn the hamas attacks and their practices as I think most level headed people do, but also hold the opinion that what Israel is engaging in is so wholly out of step it's criminal.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,520 ✭✭✭jmreire

I was not debating the artistic or other merit of the films I mentioned ( and as such, as a connoisseur with a library of over 3000 titles, I bow to your artistic judgement) but as to how realistic the slaughter scenes were ( as that was what they were ) Gruesome fails to describe it. But I can tell you, the real thing is worse, much worse. The sight, the smell, the sounds.. And for sure, if any of these Marines etc. were given a choice Bomb Japan with nuclear weapons and end the war sooner, or steady as she goes with conventional warfare, to a man my guess would be the majority would be in favor of using the bomb and ending the war. And the only problem with it would be why was it not done sooner?

Yeah, yeah, let's get Israel to stop so Hamas can attack another music festival next week and kill a few babies while they are at it and keep the hostages like zoo animals for a few years.

Seriously, what Hamas did was so far beyond civilised behaviour that it is extremely difficult to conceive of a disproportionate response.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,392 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

I’m inclined to agree with this first paragraph. Whether the hostages are released or not, Israelis are out for blood, as it were. The only advantage to Hamas for releasing them is that it looks better for them on the international stage, at least for the few people who don’t automatically disapprove of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭boetstark

I don't have the answers.

I just feel its like if you are in a fist fight how far do you go , maybe until your opponent is down and very unlikely to get up and continue the fight.

If the woke generation get their way I think there can be but one outcome.

A ceasefire is imposed , hamas regroup with the help of their evil pals. And we are back to square one, maybe worse next time.

Just remember Israel have nuclear capability and I am 100% convinced they will use every asset at their disposal to prevent a holocaust part 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,425 ✭✭✭AllForIt

I wonder if any Palistaians have done anything to assist the Isralies in identifying the location of the hostages.

I don't know how Hamas managed to cart 200 people over to Gaza, it would have taken a fleet of vehichles, they hardly walked them over and undoubthly someone must have seen all this play out.

Peaceful Palistians would hardly think it's a bad idea to snitch on Hamas as what they are going thought now would make it worth it as it could only improve their immediate situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,582 ✭✭✭amandstu

They had a plan in 67 to detonate a nuclear bomb in the Negev(I think) that would have been visible as a warning in Cairo.

I worry that some religious elements in Israel may see this as fulfilment of a prophesy (like some Christians also seem to) and so we may end up with competing types of "martyrdom" one on the Jewish side and the other on the Islamic side.

Seeing who can get to heaven first(with some Christians cheering from the sidelines. )

• Registered Users Posts: 5,633 ✭✭✭brickster69

“The earth is littered with the ruins of empires that believed they were eternal.”

- Camille Paglia

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,637 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

'Without the hostages, without the raping of women and the beheading of children by Hamas, we wouldn't have a conflict.'

Stop it now, this conflict started way before the horrific acts of Oct 7th.

There was debate on here soon after the initial attacks with people first saying it was particularly horrific babies were and then flipping to saying it didn't really matter the manner in which babies died, the critical point is that they had died when it was unclear just how their lives had ended.

There us no doubt that there are different levels of barbarism which is noteworthy in certain contexts, but not to the point of implying it is the root cause of the conflict.

For me, I am equally saddened for a baby dying in a powerless incubator when fuel was denied to the area as I am about those that die in gruesome ways. Not more, not less, equally. The latter is more gruesome than the former, but in a bizarre way, the dispassionate removal of resources from 2M people is more chilling in some ways because it is a decision being carried out by a countries government rather than some crazed individuals.

But, as pointed out, this conflict existed days/weeks/months/years/decades before Oct 7th and the taking of lives has happened with more certainty on the Palestinian side than that of the Israeli. That's indisputable.

Advertisement