Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

General Premier League Thread 2023-24 Mod Note in op 27/6/23 And 21/05/24

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭giveitholly

Why is the Manchester Derby on at 3.30pm this Sunday instead of 4.30pm?

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭DAngelo Bailey

If they did would one hour really make a difference?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,041 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Utd put up a statement mentioning it on their website a while back it seems. It just said;

"The unusual start time was agreed following consultation between the clubs, the broadcaster and local authorities."

A bit vague.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,106 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

It might be something to do with the clocks changing that day? Sky are showing games at 1.00 pm and 3.30 pm that day, an hour earlier than usual.

Maybe something to do with international timezones too, to fit in the US with the NFL on a Sunday, and they can show more live sport that way.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,217 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Tonali banned for 10 months it seems.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,197 ✭✭✭McFly85

10 months is very light if he has in fact bet on games that he participated in, especially when the automatic sentence is 3 years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,612 ✭✭✭eigrod

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,217 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

1 charge against Everton = 12 points deduction.

115 against City = relegation to Vanarama league?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,612 ✭✭✭eigrod

I think even with a 12 point deduction, Everton would stay up. A reflection on how bad at least 3 other teams are currently.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,305 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

I don't think they would,, they were four points above the drop last season.

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭DAngelo Bailey

Everton have been taking the piss for years now it would seem an appropriate punishment. They've stayed up by breaking financial rules at the expense of several other teams who have obeyed the rules.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,393 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

But without DCL for most of the season. They've also added Danjuma and Beto so at least they have some cover this season.

Realistically then Everton will need around 50 points to be safe, or about 11th place last season. It’s a tall order with the squad they have imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,294 ✭✭✭✭rob316

there will be a bit of sympathy as they are a mess even after all the money spent but what if they had won the league through an unfair financial advantage, you'd want the book thrown at them. Hi Man City

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,379 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

to me there is a big difference between them.

While Everton are accused of breaking the rules, they have actually accounted for everything, publicly.

They are accused of breaking the acceptable losses figure, because in their accounts they state that they have.

But Everton claim their Covid impacted losses are basically the exact figure they would need to go from their official loss to the Covid adjusted loss that comes in under the FFP figure. What I find odd about this is this was dealt with a year ago, and the PL said it was fine, when they submitted them. So i don't know why it is a problem now.

Yes, it is bizarre that Everton had a higher covid loss than anyone else in the league, like twice as high as the next or something like that.... but it was previously accepted.

City, on the other hand, are accussed of lieing in their accounts, for several years. Making up revenues, lieing about the source of funds, and obstucting and lieing to the investigators.

Both should have the book thrown at them if guilty, and City should be stripped of their titles.

With Everton though, if they are guulty their guilt can arguably be seen as directly contributing to the relegation of teams the last two seasons. If they get a points deduction this season, that doesn't help Leeds or Southampton. If the still manage to stay up with a points deduction then, to be honest, Everton will consider that a price well paid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

I know that it's not as financially impactful but Liverpool and Arsenal were robbed of titles at the same time.

Harder to put a cost on it.

Does seem mad the Everton one is so far advanced so soon whilst the other one has gone quiet.

As Mitch said, Everton are being entirely transparent about it all, which allows the process to work as it's supposed to. Meanwhile, City are blocking everything at every turn, and will tie it up with their army of lawyers for years more most likely.

Which really shows what a horrible and corrupt club they are.(City that is).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,980 ✭✭✭doc_17

Everton will go down if they are deducted 12 points. That asterisk beside City is getting bigger and bigger….

But Pep said he’d manage them if they got relegated to non league. I hope to see it happen.

I read recently, from a Man City fan, that the other 5 clubs from the big 6 were actively pressing the PL looking for updates about Man City's case.

But it was weird how they mentioned that other 5. It wasn't the other 19, or 26 or whatever number of clubs, that were affected. Why is this?

For example Everton can't exactly be shouting about FFP rules when they have broken them themselves. Maybe there are others like that, and are scare did getting caught.

Tinfoil hat on here, but maybe there are more clubs breaking the rules so are happy to keep quiet about Man City, so that they can continue to do what they are currently doing. Maybe the likes of Leeds and Southampton shouted about Everton loud enough that action had to be brought.

We've seen before that Man City and Newcastle stuck together on voting terms around sponsorship rules, so there is probably a bit more to that kind of stuff going on. Newcastle are probably siding with Man City on this case because Man City sided with them over the recent sponsorship rulings. Politics.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,644 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

More fool them.

Mo reward for bong straightforward with the likes of the FA. Then again, they haven't a slush fund to pay a bus load of wigs to drag it out for years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,984 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

There's dodgy stuff going on at nearly every club in England. It's been that way for donkeys years. They are nearly as bad as they are over here in Ireland.

As regards Tonali. I don't see any issue with a straight win bet on your own team. Anything else is dodgy and he is rightfully banned if that's the case.

Does anybody know what his bets were?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,748 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

I mean it's for the same reason only two or three clubs are mentioned in chasing Everton, they're the ones most affected.

Rubbish, you shouldn't be able to bet on anything your own team is involved in,it would be a slippery slope and open to insider information.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,644 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Italy is down on this sort of thing, especially with unlicensed betting companies or sites, which AFAIK Tonali is linked with. Goes back to organized crime being owed money and having a hold on players in the past, against the law as well as against the sporting rules. That's my understanding of it anyway.

City have bought their way into the pockets of the rule makers in England, between dodgy sponsorship, their subsidizing the regeneration of Eastlands in inner City Manchester, and the links with referees and politicians/embassy officials in the UAE as reported recently. What's reported of course is likely only the tip of the iceberg, I'd be guessing there are huge opportunities in the UK since the Russian money got too hot for people to buy influence, especially since their Tory overlords crashed the economy against the wall with a combination of Brexit and lunatic economics.

And even beyond that, I totally understand the rule of not allowing betting on your own sport even. If you imagine if that rule isn't there, and all these lads are betting on each others games - there's just too much room for lads who are mates on different teams to influence each other, even in tiny ways. If at any time betting changes any aspect of a match, however small, then it feels like an issue. So a catch all 'no betting on football' makes sense to me to just remove any possibility. It's really not too much to ask either.

I agree, my response was just immediately to the point of view if you bet to win it's ok, the repercussions for the betting agency you place that bet with having an advantage in the market etc, the only thing that works is a complete ban on those involved betting on the sport

Yeah, like, if they were all so intent on having rules adhered to, surely all clubs would be pursuing all cases. But I'd harbour a guess that they don't.

They only look out for their own interests in these type of scenarios or cases, as we saw in 2020.

I have no knowledge of the clubs thinking, but I would take a guess that Liverpool are not actively pursuing a sanction against Everton. Why would they? It doesn't help them in any positive way, but it would actually garner some negative attention within the fanbase on the red side, let alone the blue side. So why bother? And that's just one example. There's multiple different scenarios like that.

Who was asking questions about Man United's FFP case this year? I doubt Crystal Palace did. Did Aston Villa or West Ham or Arsenal? It's possible.

Indeed, even if betting on yourself to win, it can have a big impact on the game. With both Toney and Tonali seemingly admitting to betting for wins in games they took part in (according to the Guardian), it looks especially bad. Imagine late in a game where you've just come back from a goal down for instance, and the manager wants the team to hold out for a valuable point - what if that player ends up in an attacking position where they can drive on goal, or take the ball to the corner to see out the draw. Without a bet, that player does the logical thing, holds it up, and ends the game. With that bet, maybe they instead think of their self interest and go for goal - maybe they score, and the game is directly impacted, or maybe they give it up and the other team break and score, and again the game is directly impacted. That's just one example, and i'm sure there's many more, of how even a positive bet can directly effect the result. A ban just makes sense for safety.

• Advertisement

One thing I don't understand about the whole 'betting in football' thing is how widely accepted owner tips is just taken as a major part of horse racing, but if a football player tells his friend that he's moving to Madrid, he gets a ban from playing. The bookies want the owners tips as part of horse racing but don't want insider info with football. Maybe its the market size that dictates that.

Like personally, what influence does a semi-pro guy from Longford on a 9 month contract have to do with the Champions League quarter final? Surely he can throw 10e on a first goal scorer punt, without reprimand. It's a different story when it comes to his own club/league, and probably country in some cases.

Betting and the Premier League is well linked. You can't turn on the TV for a game without seeing gambling ads. Managers and players appear in these ads.

I don't see anything wrong with betting on your own team to win. Everybody wants to win don't they?

I'd be against betting on anything else in your own teams games.

Betting on other games shouldn't be a problem at all but I believe this isn't allowed?

And players are just as likely as the rest of the world to develop gambling addictions. This should be taken into account when deciding on any punishment.

As regards Manchester City, it's clear their money is buying them not only a massive squad but favours as well. It's next to impossible to stop that.

My point is that there is so much corruption in the game that nobody is in a position to stand up and call them out on it for fear of something at their own club being exposed. And you just know that if there is corruption at any other club that the owners of City know about it. They can buy information just like they can buy officials.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,694 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

Unless you are going to pay off an entire opposition team to win a bet, I'm not sure how betting on your own team's victory is a slippery slope to anything apart from maybe towards gambling addiction?

I gave an example above of how betting on your own team could lead to different outcomes as a result. The basic gist of it all though, is that the only way to remove the possibility of betting impacting outcomes is to not allow betting. Makes total sense to simply remove that possibility.

As to EE's point of there potentially being corruption elsewhere - well, it's that old saying, don't let perfect be the enemy of good. Sure, maybe all aspects of corruption can't be removed, but that doesn't mean you don't make your gains where you can.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,118 ✭✭✭El Gato De Negocios

While I absolutely detest Paddy Power as a blood sucking organisation, their media team are top notch.

As has already been pointed out, betting on your own team to win can cause a conflict of interest where your goals of winning a bet go against the wishes of the manager - football isn’t played in a way where everyone is trying to win at every moment.

And as for betting on games you’re not involved in - there’s also a conflict of interest there. While you cannot directly affect the outcome of the game, football is a small group - players will know players will know players. Who’s to say that someone couldn’t influence another player, even in a smaller market? And if you have players doing that you’re going to expect larger influences at some point.

I think it’s absolutely correct to have a blanket ban for players, it’s a situation football doesn’t need.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭jacool

I'm not suggesting in anyway that the authorities should be investigating James Tomkins - alphabetical list of EPL players!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Any player who signs a contract with win bonus, goal scoring bonus, or incentives to finish in/above a certain position is effectively betting on themselves.

There's no real difference between a £1K win bonus and putting £1K on your team to win at Evens, other than one is betting with salary yet to be paid and the latter is betting with salary already paid. (And also the latter is frowned upon/illegal/gets you a 12 month ban, whilst no-one bats an eyelid at the former)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,798 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

There is a massive difference between performances and gambling on a game you are involved in first off.

Second, performance bonuses are not against the law of the land, nor the law of the game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

I made clear that I'm aware one is illegal (in Italy)/against the rules (England), and performance bonus isn't, so not sure why you felt the need to point it out to me.

For me the question would be why one (score/win/position bonus, even a paycut for relegation) is industry standard yet it becomes such a no-no if there's a Ladbrokes sign above it. I really don't see much difference, at the core they are all just bets.

But ultimately I agree that if the authorities have banned it, then it's really silly of the players to do it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,574 ✭✭✭✭CSF

I’m surprised Tonali only got 10 months considering he wasn’t just breaching the rules on betting, but also doing it on his own teams games that he has insider knowledge on.

I didn't look at it from that angle. I agree with you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,980 ✭✭✭doc_17

Hopefully we’ll hear news of City and their sanctions soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

With these recent high-profile betting suspensions, I wonder will clubs start inserting clauses into contracts that limit their exposure.

Newcastle have spent a small fortune on a guy who can't play again until next season. It's not the same as a long-term injury; this is something the player could easily have avoided. It's more akin to assaulting someone on the pitch and in those cases it's not uncommon to see a player fined by his club.

I wonder did AC Milan and Tonali to a lesser degree know what was coming down the line and Milan decided to get rid of him?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,295 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

December and Jan Schedule

We have a Christmas eve game

Kick-offs 15:00 unless stated. All times are GMT.

Tuesday 5 December

19:30 Wolves v Burnley (Prime Video)

20:15 Luton Town v Arsenal (Prime Video)

Wednesday 6 December

19:30 Brighton v Brentford (Prime Video)

19:30 Crystal Palace v AFC Bournemouth (Prime Video)

19:30 Fulham v Nott'm Forest (Prime Video)

19:30 Sheff Utd v Liverpool (Prime Video)

20:15 Aston Villa v Man City (Prime Video)

20:15 Man Utd v Chelsea (Prime Video)

Thursday 7 December

19:30 Everton v Newcastle (Prime Video)

20:15 Spurs v West Ham (Prime Video)

Saturday 9 December

12:30 Crystal Palace v Liverpool (TNT Sports)

Brighton v Burnley

Man Utd v AFC Bournemouth

Sheff Utd v Brentford

Wolves v Nott'm Forest

17:30 Aston Villa v Arsenal (Sky Sports)

Sunday 10 December

14:00 Everton v Chelsea*

14:00 Fulham v West Ham*

14:00 Luton Town v Man City (Sky Sports)

16:30 Spurs v Newcastle (Sky Sports)

*Moved due to Premier League matches being played the Thursday before

Friday 15 December

20:00 Nott'm Forest v Spurs (Sky Sports)

Saturday 16 December

AFC Bournemouth v Luton Town

Chelsea v Sheff Utd

Man City v Crystal Palace

Newcastle v Fulham

17:30 Burnley v Everton (Sky Sports)

Sunday 17 December

14:00 Arsenal v Brighton**

14:00 Brentford v Aston Villa**

14:00 West Ham v Wolves (Sky Sports)

16:30 Liverpool v Man Utd (Sky Sports)

**Moved due to participation in UEFA competitions the Thursday before

Thursday 21 December

20:00 Crystal Palace v Brighton (Sky Sports)

Friday 22 December

20:00 Aston Villa v Sheff Utd (Sky Sports)

Saturday 23 December

12:30 West Ham v Man Utd (TNT Sports)

Fulham v Burnley

Luton Town v Newcastle

Nott'm Forest v AFC Bournemouth

Spurs v Everton

17:30 Liverpool v Arsenal (Sky Sports)

Sunday 24 December

13:00 Wolves v Chelsea (Sky Sports)

Tuesday 26 December

12:30 Newcastle v Nott'm Forest (Prime Video)

AFC Bournemouth v Fulham (Prime Video)

Sheff Utd v Luton Town (Prime Video)

17:30 Burnley v Liverpool (Prime Video)

20:00 Man Utd v Aston Villa (Prime Video)

Wednesday 27 December

19:30 Brentford v Wolves (Prime Video)

19:30 Chelsea v Crystal Palace (Prime Video)

20:15 Everton v Man City (Prime Video)

Thursday 28 December 

19:30 Brighton v Spurs (Prime Video)

20:15 Arsenal v West Ham (Prime Video)

Saturday 30 December

12:30 Luton Town v Chelsea (TNT Sports)

Aston Villa v Burnley

Crystal Palace v Brentford

Man City v Sheff Utd

Wolves v Everton

17:30 Nott'm Forest v Man Utd (Sky Sports)

Sunday 31 December

14:00 Fulham v Arsenal (Sky Sports)

14:00 Spurs v AFC Bournemouth***

***Moved due to Brighton v Spurs being played the Thursday before

Monday 1 January 2024

20:00 Liverpool v Newcastle (Sky Sports)

Tuesday 2 January 2024

19:30 West Ham v Brighton (Sky Sports)

Saturday 13 January 2024

12:30 Chelsea v Fulham (TNT Sports)

17:30 Newcastle v Man City (TNT Sports)

Sunday 14 January 2024

14:00 Everton v Aston Villa (Sky Sports)

16:30 Man Utd v Spurs (Sky Sports)

Monday 15 January 2024

19:45 Burnley v Luton Town (TNT Sports)****

****Should either club be involved in an FA Cup replay, this match will move to 19:45 on Friday 12 January, live on TNT Sports. Should either club be involved in an FA Cup replay and Burnley also be involved in the EFL Cup semi-finals, the match will be played at 12:00 on Sunday 14 January, live on TNT Sports.

Saturday 20 January 2024

12:30 Arsenal v Crystal Palace (TNT Sports)

17:30 Brentford v Nott'm Forest (Sky Sports)

Sunday 21 January 2024

14:00 Sheff Utd v West Ham (TNT Sports)

16:30 AFC Bournemouth v Liverpool (Sky Sports)

Monday 22 January 2024

19:45 Brighton v Wolves (TNT Sports)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭Heighway61

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,295 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

There has been no change to the tv deal as far as I am aware of so they should be

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭Muff_Daddy

The absolute state of that St. Stephens Day schedule.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement