Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

National Broadband Ireland : implementation and progress

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,798 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Got a "we are surveying in your area" mail, when the area is still down as Jul-Dec 2025. That's a downward revision from Jan 2025 - Dec 2026, but the date in mid 2022 was Nov 2022 - Jan 2023.

We've been told locally its microwave backhaul rather than undersea, but still FTTP, when I was very concerned they were going to try pull some stroke with fixed wireless; but can I read anything in to that email other than possibly being an error?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,781 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

Also got that but if you remember back to a previous post of mine it must have been 6 months back when they were out surveying the area?

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

We've been told locally its microwave backhaul rather than undersea, but still FTTP...

That's how islands are being done at the moment - microwave to a central point on the island, and FTTP from there. Presumably the plan is to upgrade to an undersea fibre if the opportunity arises (if ESB Networks are replacing a cable, for example).

• Registered Users Posts: 68,798 ✭✭✭✭L1011

I was told that the first, closest in Donegal islands were done by rolling a cable reel off the back of the ferry.

Waiting for ESBN makes some sense but those cables have huge life. Tory hasn't even got ESBN cables - it has a large diesel genset.

Our dual redundant cables are 80s (replacements of the 50s ones themselves) as far as I know so a replacement should be soon enough

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 265 Mod ✭✭✭✭OSI

How far into the house and how much work are the installers willing or allowed to do when installing NBI? I have a services cabinet on the side of the house, but my comms room is in the middle of the house, a few rooms and several meters away. I currently have 2 Cat 6A cables running from that box to the comms room that I'm hoping to use as a wire pull to pull the fibre through, but I don't know if the guys are only allowed to bring the fibre to an external wall or something.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭cyfac

Hello so NBI have rolled out the fibre in our area and for some reason my house os the only one in the area showing as not being included can anyone explain how I go about forgetting the NBI to update as when I approach a service provider they are saying until it changes they cannot supply me with fibre any help would be greatly appreciated

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭baz9375

I was in similar position - had cabinet set up in middle of the house and entry point was on gable wall into the attic space.

I had a conduit run in place from entry point in the attic down into the comms cabinet and pull rope in this - total distance was 14 meters from where it enters to where the ONT was mounted at the comms box - explained all to installer and he had no issue with long cable run.

Best advice I got was to do as much work beforehand and make the install as easy as possible for the engineer on the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭monster1

We had a date for yesterday to have eir 1Gb installed, but installers cancelled and changed to this morning.

All installed, but I can't get eir to activate the broadband..

They only activate during weekdays? Though the engineer that installed it never said that. He just told me to call them in an hour and they will activate it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭heavydawson

Updated roadmap published on NBI service provider site

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭P2C

Our survey was completed last year. I note the NBI website is now saying network build in progress. Do not think the timelines have changed. Saying 2025. I have noticed a few Ciret Vans around and they put in a new pole on my road early today. From chatting to the surveyors there are a good few new ones to go into place and no sign of them. I saw them fishing cables on another road the other day. To be honest I hadn’t time to stop. Maybe it’s just work for Eir. Does anyone know If the network build in progress goes up does that mean they’re in the area working or just the next phase after surveying and goes on auto.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭Ronald Binge Redux

Eircode issued nearly six months ago but as far as OpenEir is concerned its still 'computer says no'

• Registered Users Posts: 15,548 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Newport Tipperary DA, survey completed a few months ago. In design stage now, NBI are in the area looking at poles, potential cable routes, seeking landowner permissions etc.

Still 2026 rollout here.

RTE news : National broadband reaches 200,000 premises milestone

• Registered Users Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭clohamon

NBI stats available at the foot of their homepage. Updated every Friday. Passing c.10k/mth over recent months.

The take-up numbers are encouraging as well:

Over 60,000 premises are now already connected to the NBI network which is significantly above all previous forecasts which envisaged 50,000 connections by the end of the current contract year in January 2024.

Take-up rates are above 40% in areas where the network has been live for longer than twelve months, and the average take-up rate of 30% is well ahead of projections and international comparisons.

I'm not sure if they were doing it during my DA build-out but it looks like the contractors are working weekends now as well. Alltec had lads hanging DPs on Saturday last in Garryspillane in West Limerick. 3 vans over a 1km stretch of road.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,932 ✭✭✭✭listermint

We had the guys trimming the trees for network rollout here over weekend.

Some fun with some neighbours though and their don't touch my tree attitude so that'll be interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,409 ✭✭✭newhouse87

So pole across road form my house had fibre running along it, have dp boxes 100m roughly each way. Have been waiting for civils crew to unblock duct for over a year, 5 m from one of the dp boxes up the road, currently have comreg complaint in. Today alltec engineer working for nbi has put a dp box on the pole outside my house. Is that the norm?

Post edited by newhouse87 on

Were the existing DPs across the road NBI as well? Or Openeir?

The existing dps are both approx 100m up and down the road and are there years wit openeir, i should have been connected over a year ago but openeir are pricks to deal with. NBI have installed dp box today on pole right outside my house. Presume thats good news even though it says on website sep-dec24 connection.

Just had a rua tech van pull into my driveway with mini digger to turn, i wonder are they related to what nbi guy was doing or by some mad coincidence they were up the road unblocking duct for other dp pole i could use.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭clohamon

The Department was before the Public Accounts Committee on the 9th November

Brian Stanley (Laois-Offaly, Sinn Fein)

That is welcome. Mr. Mulligan, what is the uptake of fibre broadband where it has been provided?

Mr. Fergal Mulligan:

On average, it is around 40%, which is ahead of target. There are four or five counties where it is over 50%. That depends on when the deployment area is finished. For any county that is 12 months post-deployment, it is at least 40%, and for a number of counties it is more than 50%.

There's more, but it's mostly Brian Stanley TD rehearsing his critique from 5 years ago and getting mixed up over targets.

OpenEir and NBI use the exact same duct/pole infrastructure, so it's possible NBI are actually going to get the duct unblocked before OpenEir

hmm, mini digger at pole with last hour, ill go up and ask who they are working for. if its NBI and they have duct unblocked, im going to have to convince openeir its unblocked to send out crew to do install. customer service wit openeir is horrible enough too.

yeah i am, neighbors all have fibre from open eir but as im newly built house im also included in nbi but was hoping to get it sooner as fibre running past my house. I can see lads today are laying yellow piping so its the nbi crowd but they may also have unblocked duct. Must ring sky and get them to push openeir, already have com reg complaint in 2 weeks ago but have to activate it today if i need to.

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭SodiumCooled

Hi, just wondering if seeing a Defusion Utility services van/workers seemingly looking at poles along the telephone line has any significance in relation to NBI roll out or could it just be general work on the telephone line (we don't have a landline so I don't know if there is a a storm related issue or anything). We are pending survey and not anticipated for connection until 2026 according to NBI website.

Post edited by SodiumCooled on

• Registered Users Posts: 15,548 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

• Registered Users Posts: 901 ✭✭✭geecee

Apologies if this has been answered previously:

My parents had NBI installed in their house yesterday and they installed the NBI White box (ONT?) and router in the middle of the wall in the master bedroom. Besides the aesthetics, flashing lights meant that it was turned off in the night and won't ever be turned back on again!

From Pics up thread it looks like the fibre terminates in the ONT and there is a Cat 5E cable from the ONT to the router.

Questions:

1. Can the ONT be moved by a semi techy person or must we call an engineer?
    2. Can i simply disconnect the fibre from the ONT box and pull it back up were it is coming from to the attic, move the ONT to the attic and then run a longer CAT6 cable to the Router in a more convenient location in the house?
    3. If I am doing that do I need to "cap" the fibre or does the connector have some sort of self sealing mechanism?

Thanks in Advance!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,932 ✭✭✭✭listermint

If you can get over aesthetics. Just cover the lights with electric tape to stop it flashing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 901 ✭✭✭geecee

that was my instructions to them 30 mins ago as i am currently out of town

its not just the aesthetics, the router was placed on the floor in the walkway to the ensuite and is a trip hazard for elderly parents

Advertisement