Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Import Duty/VAT Thread. Read Post #1 for Rules

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10 doyler58

Just want to check first... Am I right that there are no pickup locations in Ireland? I find I can have parcels sent to pickup locations in the UK and France, but not here. Just seems bizarre.

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭Cookiee

Mod <Snip> not “allowed”, its called smuggling. OP was asking about Amazon lockers.

Post edited by whiterebel on

• Registered Users Posts: 10 doyler58

Oh, just seen this post-snip - looks like I've missed out on the details of a lucrative smuggling opportunity ;). But seriously though, are there really no pickup locations in Ireland?

I don't just mean Amazon lockers, but shops: I was staying in France a while ago and got something delivered to a small health food shop over the road. They were very efficient and had a huge number of parcels from Amazon and other companies. They must make a lot of money out of parcel deliveries - a good business model.

Not sure why it was snipped, I was talking about Amazon lockers in the north of Ireland and said there's none in republic of Ireland. What did I say wrong? Am I not allowed to say that?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,897 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Terminating a shipment in Northern Ireland, then going up and collecting and bringing it South is evading taxes. As Amazon are not shipping those products to the Republic you can take it they are not allowed to do so by Revenue.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 10,648 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

It depends on the item, but Amazon not delivering here isn't a measure of legality. I recently ordered toasted sandwich bags which, for some reason, Amazon won't deliver here. I send them to a relative in NI and collected them there the next time I visited. It's not illegal, nor avoidance of taxes, to take sandwich bags from NI to ROI.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,897 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Shipping products to a NI address and then collecting them and bringing them to the Republic is avoiding taxes. Products for N Ireland now have to show a "Not for EU use" label on packaging. The bit about Amazon not shipping here to the OP was concerning vitamins and supplements which usually fall foul of Revenue.

You can still walk in to any store in NI and purchase them though, without customs issues. We live along the border, it's an everyday occurrence.

Who said anything about buying them along the border? The conversation is about buying online and shipping via NI. No-one mentioned buying in a shop and bringing them to the Republic which is perfectly legal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 46,028 ✭✭✭✭muffler

There are lots and lots of items that the likes of Amazon and its third party sellers simply wont ship to Ireland. Perhaps the delivery costs is prohibitive but in most cases that Im aware of, what can be bought in the UK whether online or in person can be delivered into this country without customs/revenue checks. There is no physical border between NI and ROI and under EU law (and Brexit arrangements) the programme for free movement of people and goods on this island is still very much alive.

There is no law AFAIK against ordering goods for delivery within the UK and then bringing those same goods into ROI.

Apologies if this is off topic but this point needs to be clarified.

You're right. There is no law against it at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,644 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

I always order stuff like lithium batteries when I'm in the UK and bring them back on the ferry with me.

Wake me up when it's all over.

Of course there is. Anything purchased in the UK (Except NI) are subject to customs. Why do you think there has been a breakdown in Stormont? There was what amounted to a hard border between NI and the rest of the UK. Now they have a traffic light system for products into NI and products going to the Republic. Goods coming in for sale in the UK must be marked as not for the EU.

You can buy in NI from England, Scotland and Wales with no customs formalities.

You can buy online and in store from NI to deliver in the Republic, again no customs.

The UK is outside the EU for purchases into Ireland, hence VAT/and or duty may be applicable.

From Revenue: Completing customs formalities

There are two customs clearance options when bringing goods from GB, through Northern Ireland (NI), into Ireland.

You can:

• complete the import formalities in Northern Ireland (NI)
    • or
    • use the transit procedure and raise a transit declaration in GB and complete the import formalities in Ireland.

So you're telling me that I am breaking the law by ordering coffee from Amazon, having it delivered to a pick up point in Tyrone and then collecting it and bringing it across the border into Donegal?

Now you've got it. It's the same in the eyes of the EU and Revenue as ordering directly from the UK. Only the political situation makes it more complicated.

Except in the example there would be no VAT or import duties involved so no one would care.

Once it's coming in from outside the EU, which it is, it has to be customs cleared, even if it's zero rated for VAT, so yes, Revenue would still care. The €22 lower limit for VAT is also gone now, so even really small amounts are subject to VAT.

Edit: And from what I can see, coffee is Vatable. https://www.revenue.ie/en/vat/vat-rates/search-vat-rates/D/drinks-beverages-concentrates.aspx

And just for clarity if I buy the same coffee in a store in Tyrone and bring it to Donegal am I still breaking the law?

No. We are allowed free trade with NI. NI is allowed free trade with the UK, as long as it's not a transit point to the Republic. Products must be marked now under the new Protocol as I said above.

• Advertisement

VAT treatment of food and drink supplied by wholesalers and retailers 

2. What products are taxable at the zero rate? The zero rate of VAT applies to the supply of most foodstuffs, such as:  most breads  butter, cheese, eggs, milk  baby food  cereals  condiments  flour  fruit (fresh, canned, dried and drained)  herbs  meat  pasta  pastes, sauces, soup, spices, sugar  preparations and extracts derived from meat, yeast or eggs  tea and coffee in non-drinkable form and  vegetables (fresh and frozen).

Yes, I can confirm there is no VAT on coffee. That's based on my Amazon orders with deliveries to NI.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭TheChrisD

The "Not for EU" labelling system is specifically limited to fresh food coming from GB that is intended for sale by retailers in the NI market.

You're still perfectly within your rights to drive up into the North, buy fresh food there, and drive back into the Republic with it if it's for personal consumption.

Nobody is saying you are not within your rights, as I have said before in previous posts. And that doesn't just apply to fresh foods either.

This is just going in circles, bringing retail sales etc into etc. I have explained it quite a few times now, so I'm cutting this from the Amazon thread and moving it here: New Import Duty/VAT Thread. Read Post #1 for Rules

Unless you come up with something ground breaking or a law change this is the position:

You can buy in NI from England, Scotland and Wales with no customs formalities.

You can buy online and in store from NI to deliver in the Republic, again no customs.

The UK is outside the EU for purchases into Ireland, hence VAT/and or duty may be applicable. Even product that is zero rated should be declared to customs. Trucks full of fruit from the UK, for example, need to be customs cleared.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,613 ✭✭✭Kat1170

Technically, is amazon.co.uk not inclusive of NI.

No way of knowing if the order you placed has come from the UK mainland or NI until it arrives and you can look at the postage label.

You are buying from Amazon UK. As far as I am aware they don't ship anything directly from NI. Amazon look after the VAT/Duty arrangements depending on your location.

I cannot order anything from my Irish account to deliver to a NI Amazon locker.

• Administrators Posts: 368 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭System

This discussion was created from comments split from: Amazon.

• Administrators Posts: 368 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭System

This discussion was created from comments split from: Amazon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,666 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

I was looking for a phone cover before, Amazon would ship the colour I didn't want to Ireland but not the identical one, same seller, different colour.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

Advertisement