Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

High Irish GDP is an illusion, Ireland is not that rich

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,622 ✭✭✭maninasia

They are busy putting the excise duties back to full rate on fuel even in the middle of the cost of living crisis (tax accounts for approx half the cost of the petrol in your tank), they have no interest in reducing the cost of living long term because they love having control of all that mullah, equals votes you see when they dole bits and bobs out to this and that favoured group.

It's insanity the way they tax ETFs in this country even though some of the world's major ETFs are domiciled here. And this is definitely related to the topic at hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭mode1990

Joe Stiglitz called it "leprechaun economics " , all I know is that the current interest rates are really squeezing , and to hear they're will be no respite until at least 2025 is borderline insufferable, everytime Lagarde opens her mouth I get poorer !

• Registered Users Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭McGiver

Huge discrepancy between the GDP and the GNI is a primary symptom of tax havens.

Ireland is a leading tax haven/OFC. No need to be ashamed. There's a consensus on that amongst academics dealing with tax havens.

End of the story. Let's go for a pint of the black stuff.

AIC is a good indicator, in fact.

I'll throw another one here, which also takes into account the distrubution of the income.

• Advertisement

Government by definition cannot reduce or increase prices of...anything easily.

They can increase prices by adding extra taxes or increasing them. Reducing/abolishing taxes might not always work as the middlemen can take the profit and not pass anything to the final prices (how it usually works). It could be done with extra legislation, but the more the government tries controlling the prices the worse it generally gets.

The government should ensure fair competition, consumer protection, quick resolution of disputes (courts), easy and fast establishing and liquidating companies, order and defence. Not control prices.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,830 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

I didn't suggest that they control prices. I do suggest that they encourage competition, Aldi and Lidl have done a lot for competitive prices, for instance, but some sectors do not have that competition.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,887 ✭✭✭orangerhyme

This has us below Romania and Lithuania so there's obvious anomalies.

I don't think it's a good metric. It has us too far off the likes of France and Germany and too close to Spain and Portugal. South Spain is quite poor. We're not that poor either.

I'd put us on the lower end of the Northern European countries and Scandinavian, but definitely above Eastern and Southern Europe.

Your graph on disposable income looks pretty accurate also. It might be the best metric I've seen. We're level with France and Finland and just below the traditionally wealthy countries.

I think if our economy remains relatively stable for next 20 years, we can solidify ourselves as a proper rich western country.

The crash in 07 really knocked us back on our ass for 10 years. Very hard to plan or invest in anything when you're in a crisis.

We can now invest properly in infrastructure, education, health, renewable energy, deprived communities etc.

I think in 20 years we could easily be exporting energy and also maybe 90% energy independent.

People spending so much on rent and housing isn't good for our economy either. It would be better if they were spending money in city centres and towns.

The thing about AIC is that even in good years for Ireland, with pay rises, social welfare increases and more employment, we still never seem to catch up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,084 ✭✭✭timmyntc

There is massive income inequality in ireland though, which is what most of us ignore when we dismiss stats like AIC.

Plenty of pensioners live in slum like accomodation (that they do own however) and Ireland still experience plenty of deaths due to fuel poverty.

In my experience that is not as common here in mainland Europe

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Ireland has generally quite high levels of household saving, which would not be reflected in the AIC stat as I understand it. Basically there is an element of choice around the spending levels.

Ireland does not have "massive" income inequality by any comparative standard. While it's impossible to capture it all in one metric, we are on the low end of the scale in terms of Gini coefficient (i.e. more equal)

Irish pensioners are well looked after, folks should try seeing what pensioners get in other countries they'll probably be shocked .

People on lower earnings can apply for housing subsidies and other supplementary welfare.

High earners get slaughtered with taxes, can't believe people claim high income inequality with a straight face here .

Sure the government can reduce prices easily if they want, for instance almost half of fuel prices at the pump are government taxes!

High fuel prices contribute a lot to inflation in other goods and services.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,578 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

• Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭techman1

With the Average Individual Consumption statistics showing Ireland to be the lowest consumers in Europe, how does that tally with our carbon emissions being at the highest levels.

We have a large agricultural sector which produces alot of food but most of this is exported and consumed outside Ireland. However the carbon counting system loads Ireland with all that carbon. This is an obvious huge flaw in the carbon emissions statistics,

Now we see Consumption statistics showing that we are actually the lowest consumers and have a lower standard of living simply because we don't spend as much money as our European peers on goods and services

Wishful thinking. AIC is a good methodology. It's recalculated to purchasing power parity (price level etc). The high prices here don't play in our favour. Talking about consumption and income. Worth noting is that Ireland has one of the highest levels of personal indebtedness and likely lot of that consumption is driven by debt.

France has a lot of very very rich people and generally consumption is high in France. Ireland definitely isn't in the Nothern European camp (and will never be due to the policy). It's somewhere between France, Italy and Spain. GErmany or even Denmark/Sweden are very far away.

Ireland doesn't belong to North or South either, if you want to make that divide. It's closest analogy would be France which belongs in both or neither depending how you looking at it.

Your idea about "Eastern Europe" is a bit warped. Czechia and Slovenia, if you count them as "Eastern" (they're Central) have a very good standard of living. Poland has made a huge progress in last 10 years and it's catching up fast.

When it comes to wealth, if you look at median WEALTH and not income, it's a slightly different picture. Ireland is fairly high up, even above Sweden, Spain, Germany, Austria but below Norway, Denmark, France and Italy. Italy is actually wealthier that Ireland, they all accumulate properties, they're not poor at all. But it has two big caveats - property prices and % of property ownership in the country. Both increase the median. And both are very high in Ireland. So who knows.

List of countries by wealth per adult - Wikipedia

• Registered Users Posts: 9,668 ✭✭✭cgcsb

Spain has different spending priorities. Basically a quarter of young Spaniards have no job, those that have a job have rock bottom wages. The unemployment benefits are even less. Ireland is offering a whopping €220 per week to scratch your unmentionables, unemployment is as close to 0 as possible without resorting to forced work and the average salary is around 50k. Ireland is only recently rich so there's a lot of catching up to do on infrastructure sure, but that's better than existing on the 'living' that's on offer in Spain

Banking in Ireland needs to be turned on its head but revolute may well do that. The insurance sector needs new competition also

Property standards in large parts of Ireland even in the cities (Cork, Limerick, Galway) are shocking indeed, if you compare it to the continental Europe proper NL, FR, DE etc. Far off from continental "German" solid properties, especially apartments. Large segment of those properties offered here wouldn't be marketable in mainland Europe to be honest.

Not lowest. Above average, but not in the top league.

High emissions are caused by few things in Ireland:

• Too much agriculture centered around ruminiants - lot of methane and nitroous oxide, both very potent GHGs
    • One of the most car-centric in the EU - public transport non-existing and/or abysmal and/or not used
    • One of the lowest apartment % in the EU - leading to higher energy use and emissions
    • Poor energy efficiency standards in most of housing stock - leading to higher energy use and emissions
    • Heat pumps lagging behind most of the EU -leading to higher energy use and emissions

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

How are you defining personal indebtedness? In terms of household debt we are pretty much bang in the middle and below all of the Nordics, Switzerland, France.

This is a local myth. You should loo at the income taxes elsewhere in the EU. Irish income taxes are low. In the lowest 3 in the EU, in fact, along with Cyprus, Malta (both tax havens and small island micro-states).

Ireland is a tax haven/OFC and low tax country. That's why the gov here can't do any serious investment because they run a lean budget (comparatively speaking). It's a relatively small state solution. 50%+ of the revenue is from corporation tax due to OFC operations. The remaining overall taxation is quite low.

The only taxt that is high in Ireland is the DIRT and CGT, that's a joke alright.

Post edited by McGiver on

This one:

Household debt ratio in Europe 2023 | Statista

Might have gone down, I think it was closer to 100% before, but still quite high.

Interesting observation - Italy less debt more wealth than Ireland. In average.

If the landscape in Ireland suits growing grass then this is the place to have ruminants. The products produced there are consumed in many places, it is ridiculous to attribute the emissions solely to Ireland.

People in Norway or Sweden often live in houses also. It isn't entirely a problem, a house has ample space for solar panels and for a ground source heat pump, so could be be more or less energy neutral. Heat pump usage can be increased. The energy efficiency standards of much housing is indeed a disgrace, there should have been strict insulation standards any time after the 1973 oil crisis, but this can be improved.

You are correct, in that overall, income taxes are not very high here.

However, the entry point to the 48.5% rate, at 40k, is really, really low.

So anybody earning over a modest 40k, faces 48.5% on any overtime, progression, promotions, etc.

Yes, at the same time, hundreds of thousands of earners pay no income taxes.

There is no massive income inequality. Ireland ranks highly here, below Scandinavia but still very high

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,887 ✭✭✭orangerhyme

I can't take any metric seriously that puts us below Romania. There's not an economist in the world that would agree we've a lower standard of living than Romania. So for that reason I ignore AIC. Likewise any GDP or GNI figures I ignore as ours is so distorted.

Our personal debt isn't that bad. It's more around average. That might be due to mortgages.

France has a lot of wealth but lots of immigrant population live in poverty. Also lots of rural poverty hence the Yellow Vest protests.

By "Eastern Europe" I just mean the former communist/Soviet states that recently joined the EU. I know geographically they're central Europe.

I know Poland is catching up but we've a 30 year head start. Eastern European countries don't have good demographics either with low birth rates and low immigration so I don't think they'll pass us out any time soon.

If you look at any metric on salary such as median/average gross/net we're amongst the highest in the EU. We're in top 3 for these metrics. I know it's expensive here but that must count for something.

Italy is 2 different countries really. The north might be slightly wealthier than us but rural and Southern Italy is much poorer. Also their demographics is a ticking bomb. You can buy nice apartments in the center of Genoa for example for €20,000 to 30,000. Old people dying off with no replacement. Likewise Spain and Portugal have poor demographics.

Germany likewise is two countries. Western Germany is wealthier than us but we're definitely above Eastern Germany.

What Ireland has is a huge middle class and high earning working class. Granted lots of those are squeezed with cost of living like property and childcare etc.

I think the two maps above best sum up Irelands standard of living.

We're at the lower end of northern/Scandinavian European countries but above Eastern and Southern Europe and I think we're only moving in one direction.

This graph augurs well for the future.

That's why I think with good policy and investment we can cement ourselves as a proper western Europe wealthy country.

Post edited by orangerhyme on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,084 ✭✭✭timmyntc

Salary cannot be compared across countries unless you account for relative purchasing power and taxes

Disposable household income is a better metric than salary, but PP still needs factored in too. Price of just about everything is quite high in ireland.

! Just seen your edit with image attached

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,083 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

One of the other problems with that measurement is that it looks at consumption within a State. If there is little travel abroad for holidays (e.g. Romania) it will compare well with a country where there is huge travel abroad for holidays (e.g. Ireland). Similarly, consumption statistics in Ireland are deflated by online purchases from the UK, as well as the cross-border trips to the North.

Advertisement