Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hamas strike on Israel - Threadbans in op - mod warning in OP updated 19/10/23

Options

Comments

Benjamin Netanyahu first became Prime Minister of Israel in 1996. To now compare him to Trump-like populism is absurd.

Netanyahu will certainly feel repercussions from the Hamas attack / faulty intelligence; he even acknowledged that himself. But Netanyahu is responding moderately to the Hamas atrocity. Other PMs in Israel would have reacted far more forcefully in the past few weeks. In contrast, the reaction from Israel has been relatively targeted and muted in comparison.

Dragging nuclear weapons into the discussion adds yet another layer of absurdity. Israel would never deploy those weapons against Gaza, and would never deploy those weapons against Iran. They are merely a defensive weapon. Iran is using proxies, such as Hezbollah and Hamas, to fight against Israel in the same way that Ukraine is effectively a proxy war between NATO and Russia. In both cases, nuclear weapons will not be used.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭amandstu

I doubt he would have that power .His stock must be really low and I expect the war cabinet is fairly collegiate and does not bow and curtsey to him(just my feeling .I hope I am right)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

Is that right? Moderate reaction - three thousand kids, massive sustained bombing, blocking pretty much all supplies. Hard to see how that qualifies as moderate if nuclear isn't on the table.

Israel suffered the worst massacre of Jewish people since the Holocaust; the equivalent population death of 30,000+ Americans in 9/11.

Yes, their reaction has been measured. Civilian deaths are unavoidable during war. Over half a million German civilians died during WWII. It's a regrettable, but nonetheless inevitable feature of war. We can all redirect our heads in the sand, pretending this reality doesn't exist. Or we can confront the geopolitical reality that wars are inevitable, often forced upon us and, as a consequence of that, civilian deaths follow.

Hamas do their very best to maximize civilian Palestinian deaths for propaganda purposes. They instigate wars, such as that happening at present, then blaming Israel for their military response. It's all a part of their game, and they play that game very well.

If you are despaired by the Israeli civilian casualties on October 7, despaired further by the ongoing war ensued between Israel and Hamas, then I would suggest calibrating your blame - all of it, less none - against the proximate cause for both, namely Hamas. They are the absolute cancer at the heart of today's conflict.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,339 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

But in Hamas eyes all Israelis are not civilians but military targets as conscription in the army is mandatory for all its civilians.

In Hamas eyes all Israelis are the army and the enemy.

Plus you go on as if Palestinian has access to fighter jets or even a tank to try fight Israel’s army.

They don’t have any sort of military capability or an army because Israel has stifled everything they have ever tried to do.

So what a load of nonsense that Israel and Palestinian are fighting a fair war and that Israel only target military targets and not civilians is nonsense, when they have killed 7000 in 3 weeks.

You would think with all the tech the Israeli army have they wouldn’t need to kill so many innocents to reach Hamas.

They are indiscriminately wiping Palestine off the map.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭Burty330

Gaza is being blown off the face of the earth and they are not even finished yet but that is cause to give credit to Joe "I am a Zionist" Biden? lol . I don't recall Trump ever supporting orders to reduce cities to rubble like Biden did. Trumps method of eliminating high profile terrorists was strategic , precise , purposeful. Tactics were used to avoid civilian casualties , which is the polar opposite method of Bibi Netanyahu. So no , Bibi is just another American establishment war machine potus same as Joe , Barrak , Bush and Clinton who used blow away pharmaceutical companies in Sudan

• Registered Users Posts: 82,386 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Israel suffered the worst massacre of Jewish people since the Holocaust; the equivalent population death of 30,000+ Americans in 9/11.

Load of propaganda crap. 1400 dead is 1400 dead. American lives aren't worth any less than Israeli lives.

Cries of the holocaust, again, as though it excuses the IDF's barbarism.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,801 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

And back to using WW2 as some kind of justification or comparison.

Gaza has suffered the equivalent population death of 1,000,000 (or using the new metric.... 333x 911's)

That's a measured response?

Let me guess the reply....

Something on the lines of Israel could kill more if they really wanted to?

Gaza is being blown off the face of the earth.

No, it's not.

Almost all of Gaza, to date, has been unaffected by Israeli airstrikes.

Gaza has suffered the equivalent population death of 1,000,000 (or using the new metric.... 333x 911's)

No, it hasn't.

Gaza has a population of 2 million people, they haven't suffered 50% fatality rate.

Is the same method you used to say Israel has suffered 30,000 dead. The 1,000,000 is the Gaza figures using the same method you used.

• Advertisement

The IDF did not enter Gaza to mutilate, murder, rape, burn alive thousands of innocent people - including babies and women. Nor did the IDF parade these murders throughout social media for the inevitable approval that expectedly happened.

Do not compare ISIS-like Hamas to the military army of Israel. You will fail, every time.

Whose comparing them? I have not compared the IDF to Hamas.

I'm comparing deaths on both sides using the same metric you have used (the infamous 911 scale ) 1400 civilians on one side dead, 7000 civilians on the other side dead.

You are the one claiming 7000 dead civilians in less than 3 weeks is a measured response.

• Registered Users Posts: 464 ✭✭Iamabeliever

Israel is worse the Russia.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,339 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

• Registered Users Posts: 7,293 ✭✭✭facehugger99

Unfortunately, we’re in a ‘Sunningdale for slow learners’ situation.

The solution is blindingly obvious, a 2 State solution based on the 1947 plan.

How many more decades of horrific bloodshed is needed before the Palestinians finally accept the right of Israel to exist?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,789 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

General Petreaus, ex Iraq war. Was on YouTube talking about how the experience of taking Mosul from Islamic State, would be informing israel and what they learnt in mosul.

Seems like there is a lot of artillery in the north of Gaza , another excursion in likely.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭Cheerful S

Israel is literally erasing Gaza from the map in this video I saw online. Satellite pictures provide a stark and objective view of the situation on the ground, revealing the harsh reality of the ongoing conflict in the northern region. These images capture the devastating impact of Israel's military operations, as buildings are systematically reduced to rubble. The current reality suggests that the future of Gaza is uncertain based on what is shown here.

From May

Now in October.

... Is what the American Jew said to the Palestinian?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,293 ✭✭✭facehugger99

You need to look up what the word “literally” means.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭beastfromtheEast

I hate racism and discrimination of every kind and I don't care what people do in their bedrooms once it's legal.

People are people and we as humans are all individuals.

Israel is a self declared Jewish State and within that group of people there is again a mix of good bad and indifferent just like any group of people.

I find grouping people together for condemnation repulsive I have no issue with germans or the German people I have no issue with Russians or the Russian people again I have no problem with Jewish people or Israel.

What all 3 nations I have mentioned have in common is a genocidal nut job in power at some point in their history.

It is not hateful to point this out.

One evil man is in power and people need to call this out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Northernlily

This nonsense again. It's very different geographically to Afghanistan. The Palestinians of the Gaza strip are hemmed into an area 7km wide and 25km long unable to escape.

What are they supposed to do?? They literally cannot escape the line of fire from people armed to the teeth who hate their very existence. This thread is full of stupidity.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,564 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

2006 was 17 years ago.

Aside from the fact that there have been no ekections in Gaza since then, a huge number of those alive in the strip right now, are literally children, meaning they have never had any say in the selection of any sort of leadership whatsoever.

Imagine a scenario where police surround and then have SWAT storm a house containing a family of mostly kids because the Dad has fired shots at the police. Many of the kids die during the storming of the house.

You and others are blaming all the deaths on those in the house, including the kids, for not having divorced and kicked out the father over the last couple of years. You see how blinkered a view that is?

Even if you just blame 1 person, the kids mother (the man's wife) in this scenario (for having not divorced him), it still doesn't give carte blanche to the police to use excessive force.

Ffs, even you admit less than half the people who voted in that election in 2006 voted for Hamas, this is victim blaming 'elite' level.

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭dickdasr1234

Hamas must be eliminated, of that there is little doubt.

I would be very interested in hearing your strategic approach to eliminating Hamas with minimal civilian casualties.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,386 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Anyone too young to vote last time or not alive, everyone there under the age of 34.

What percentage of Gaza is 34 and under

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

• Registered Users Posts: 21,564 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

1 - Use sanctions at the international level to impact Hamas funding.

2 - Use the supposedly elite and revered Mossad to target leadership

3 - Show the Palestinians that they don't need Hamas.

Of course, Israel would also have to look closely at its role in creating an environment where groups like Hamas feel they are needed, and that's a big part of why this approach isn't being considered.

'Never again', they said. 'To us', they thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,447 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

1. Sanction Qatar? Sanctioning Iran's been done for awhile and seems it hasn't stopped them from supplying Hamas (including weapons - weapons sanctions should be included.)
    2. That takes time - what do you do in the short term? Mossad took years to catch all the Munich Olympics murderers, and didn't get them all
    3. If Israel rebuilds Gaza and hands it over to the Gazans, what would you expect them to do with it? Previous attempts like handing over Kibbutz facilities to Palestinians resulted in the facilities being destroyed. And, if you mean, give them more freedoms, so 'kill Israelis means we get more freedoms?'

• Advertisement
Advertisement