Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Autumn 2023 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,172 ✭✭✭Kutebride

Dry, bright day.

Lovely calm dry night Meath

Even planted some spring flowers with the kids after work.

11⁰ Meath

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,975 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Mod Note: Before there is a scuffle we better leave the Rugby in the Rugby Forum and the Weather here ..... 😀

• Registered Users Posts: 3,035 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

Absolutely horrible evening in Galway, stood out training kids for an hour in moderate rain, only thing is that it's not that cold.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭pureza

Here's the current radar

Looks like we're going to escape that blob over wexford thankfully but here's what it looks like from here just to the north of it,looking south towards Gorey,a very leaden sky

• Registered Users Posts: 13,614 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Nasty looking. Reminds me of 2013-14 the way the pressure systems are aligned.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭adocholiday

That GFS 06z run is horrid out to +240. That system over Ireland that Sryan showed above shows some heavy rain in advance of it and then would have strong winds affecting most of the country

Then it's followed by a lot more rain into the weekend

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Billcarson

The ONLY thing I like about that chart are the lows are coming down from the northwest. Would rather that then lows coming up from the south west. Can't stand TM air with its often dull cloudy muck and above average temperatures . At least coming from the northwest might allow greater chance of brighter spells between the rain bands and seasonal temperatures. Though I do wish the outlook was cool and dry rather then what's showing.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,181 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

I find the NW'lys bitterly cold, at least here on the west coast.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,902 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Nothing worse than north-westerlies at this time of the year, they feel properly cold, windy and damp, penetrating cold feeling and cold rain showers, too early for wintry precipitation for that direction especially with such warm seas around Ireland this year. Northerlies are better although colder they are usually dry with plenty of sunshine and can have frosty nights.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,598 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Extremely heavy violent rain about 15 minutes ago in Oranmore had to dash to a taxi from the shelter at Tesco.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭Darwin

Yep, the showers are absolutely torrential here too (SW Laois) for the past few hours, at least the setting sun is trying to peek through now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭pureza

Showers all day in South Wicklow

• Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭.Donegal.

26 October 2023 17:02

Today

Clear spells with isolated showers and light winds this evening. Some showers may be heavy in the west with spot flooding possible, but they will largely die out later this evening.

“Isolated”

• Registered Users Posts: 13,614 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

ECM shows possibly 2 named storms within the space of 2 days. (just realised this is the autumn discussion thread)

The strongest winds do seem to stay offshore to our south however.

My mam is Kathleen. She's dying for a storm named after her, but 11 in a season is a stretch!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Graduation day on the 2nd :( hopefully won't end up as bad as expected

• Registered Users Posts: 5,975 ✭✭✭appledrop

I know its miserable with all the rain but it is very mild at the moment for end of October.

I haven't needed the heating on at all this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,086 ✭✭✭pauldry

Wev needed it in Sligo only 9 to 11c here most days and 4 or 5c at night.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Absolutely sick of the rain at this stage. It's relentless.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,952 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

Real risk for Cork this weekend of substantial flooding. Precipitation is looking quite heavy if not torrential Sat night into Sunday. This combined with highest tides of the year!!

As for next week!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭adocholiday

Based on what? None of the models, nor Met Eireann, are showing anything significant for Cork this weekend?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,902 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

GFS doesn't show much rain for Cork over the weekend but eastern costal areas could see alot of rain, however most of the heavy precipitation goes up the Irish sea into Wales and then up into eastern parts of Northern Ireland, a very wet weekend for Wales and Northern Ireland. Next week generally looks very wet for much of the country and the November long range models are pointed towards a very wet November with a conveyer belt of low pressures dumping lots of rain across the UK and Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,160 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Status Yellow - Rain warning for Carlow, Kilkenny, Wexford, Wicklow

Met Éireann Weather Warning

A spell of heavy rain combined with saturated ground conditions.

Possible Impacts:

• Flooding

• Difficult travel conditions

• Disruption to outdoor events

Valid: 17:00 Saturday 28/10/2023 to 04:00 Sunday 29/10/2023

• Registered Users Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Some serious rainfall and downpours out there at the moment across Cork. Unrelenting heavy rain. The ground is saturated.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,832 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

We are escaping the showers again today. So that's two decent days in a row now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭mcburns07

Never ending, I wonder how long has it been since we've had a day without rain in Cork, weeks no doubt.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭giveitholly

Just on the GFS,in my area yesterday it was giving only 1.5mm of rain from Thursday to Monday. Now I know showers are hard to predict but I already have 10mm recorded,and its still bucketing down outside

• Registered Users Posts: 14,287 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Out for lunch today in the Anglers in Cork and had the most intense shower while there - ground was flooding pretty fast, was kind of worried that the carpark would flood tbh while we were inside!

ECM the deepest of all the models at 120hrs.

Dangerous system, more so after what's gone before it rainfall wise

• Advertisement

At 144hrs the system is over Ireland!! The 3 big models this evening offer different solutions with the gfs and ecm stormy!

Advertisement