Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM 2023 Mentored Novices Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,418 ✭✭✭Lazare

A little tip I discovered by accident last year, and couldn't for the life of me wonder why I hadn't already heard it is...

Change your bedclothes on Saturday, put fresh new sheets, duvet and pillow cases on.

Better still, get someone to do it for you. 😉

Nothing more relaxing than getting into a fresh new bed.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

Best of luck to you all. Take on board all the advice and you'll be in a good place. No matter how fresh you feel early on in the marathon hold yourself back. Being behind target pace after 11k is an absolute necessity.

Re breakfast, I'd avoid coffee as it is a diuretic and avoid dairy products as they can cause gastro intestinal issues. Steer well clear of fatty foods like sausages or pastries/ croissants. Red meat is also a no no so avoid rashers. My own favourite is a couple of toasted white bagels with peanut butter and jam.

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭kave2

Hope it's ok to post this here as I wasn't active on this thread.

DCM will be my first marathon and trying to decide on goal time/pace. My recent races(2-3 weeks back)

HM - 1:38:49

5k - 21:16

10k - haven't done one in while.

Based on above results, most online predictors are giving me fairly optimistic time of 3:25/3:35.

My Garmin watch is predicting 3:30 too. And it's fairly spot on for shorter distances.

Spoke with very few experienced runners at work and they would share same opinion - 3:30/3:35.

I feel more like 3:50, maybe 3:40 is the goal time I should be aiming for. Is it just lack of confidence from my side due to being first marathon?

Should I just go for it or be more reasonable and aim for slower time? Nerves are kicking in a bit at this stage too so find it difficult to decide.

Thanks for advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Runner2023

Just dropping in to say best of luck to everyone on Sunday!

I'm still not right after picking up a relatively minor injury so you trust me, having the durability to make it this far is an achievement in itself 😅

Hope you all enjoy the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭MiniMonstera

Maybe plan on going for it but keep an open mind and have a window 3.30 to 3.50?

My goal is 4.29 (which I have a general pace plan for) but window is 4.59

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 258 ✭✭TheRef

Have a look at this post (https://www.boards.ie/discussion/comment/121153742/#Comment_121153742) by @MisterJinx

I would also add that your HM time is 6 mins quicker than mine and I am targeting a 3:45 (this being my second year). Ordinarily I would suggest a sub 3:35 is probably about right for you, but as this is your first marathon, and without any understanding of how much you've been running, it is difficult to say.

When you settle on a time, also read this post: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/comment/121226795/#Comment_121226795 from @Lazare. This is the strategy I will be following.

"You can't really mess anything up if you go out too slow, but you certainly can if you go out too fast" - Kevin Hanson

• Registered Users Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭Lambay island

Just adding my tuppence here on top of this. I am assuming you have been consistently running and doing a plan which consists of getting your long runs in regularly? if that is the case, you have the ability indeed to run far lower that 3.50.

My advice is looking to start easy and work yourself into the race perhaps targeting running the first half in approx 1.52. The course will then suit to look to steadily increasing that pace, that you could potentially go under 1.50 for the 2nd half. Its your first marathon so its important, first of all you enjoy the experience and i believe tackling it this way will make it an enjoyable day. Finishing strong and passing people is one hell of a buzz to come back for more!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 996 ✭✭✭thefa

I ran my first two marathons in quick succession in 3:20 even though I’d had been focused on a 3:15 plan and had done a half marathon in just over 1:30. The half was very flat whereas the two marathons were hilly which makes a difference when trying to predict.

For the first marathon I had gone out fairly strong but was a bit held up in traffic and accepted a few minutes were lost. Stuck to the target time/km and got to circa 32km mark and get I could kick it up a little and finished strong. Second race was the opposite. Pushed myself to save time in the first half and had 5 minutes in hand but was gassed for the last 10km. Not an enjoyable experience but a few years on and no longer an avid runner, I don’t mind that I missed my time by 5 minutes.

Seem to have multiple sources suggesting similar times so might be time to back yourself, particularly if you’ve been diligently following a plan to a similar time. Make small adjustments during the race as you feel it out but use the target time to keep you being too cautious (or eager). Enjoy it most importantly!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,471 ✭✭✭brick tamland

Is there free parking in RDS for the EXPO?

I just seen mentions of parking nearby instead. Planning to head early tomorrow?

Edit: To answer my own question its €7 to park at RDS. Anyone any tips on free parking?

• They say double your half +20mins. I'd set off at 8min miles. 4:58 a k and see how you feel at 20miles. You'll be fine halfway

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭bazwaldo

Elgin Rd or Clyde Rd are free to park on Saturday and only a short walk to RDS. https://maps.app.goo.gl/YqTCnHw4BvXWHVL56

I think it was TheRef who recommended Clyde Rd recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭mister paul

I'm not sure about your maths here.

(1:38:49 * 2) + 0:20:00 = 3:37:38

8 minute miles would relate to a marathon time of 3:29:45.

My $0.02 would be that you should be targeting a time of 3:35 to 3:40.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 736 ✭✭✭MisterJinx

You should check out the post the The Ref quoted which outlined my position on it. just for your reference here, I had a 1.30 HM in the training block, roughly 70k per week in the lead up in training and all long runs done. I completed in 3.25. If it is your first marathon then you need to start well within yourself. I would look to set our a 3.45 marathon pace (which is 35 second per km slower than your HM pace) and then once you get to 30km you can pick up the pace if you feel you have it.

Online predictors are not good for a Novice and the Garmin one is very poor for long distances imo

• Yeah but very few run even or negative splits during their first marathon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭Seifer

Can't say I enjoyed the taper too much. Awareness of the concept of phantom taper niggles doesn't make them feel any less real so I decided the best thing to do was just rest. Looking forward to being able to just go out for a run to clear the head again after the weekend.

Went for a 5 km shake-out this evening and everything was feeling fine so hopefully that's my brain and body saying they're fully on board!

Hoping to get to the expo early tomorrow morning, get my number and soak up some of the buzz.

Thanks to everyone who has contributed to the thread with useful advice and ideas. Special shoutout to @MisterJinx and the mentors for guiding everyone though the journey.

Best of luck to all those running on Sunday!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

A number of us novices from our thread in 2017 did. I can’t remember the stats now but a good few of us did.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,418 ✭✭✭Lazare

Very few do in general.

Boards Novices have the best shot at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 MECA

Ok.. I’m officially sh*tting it now. F*ckity f*ck …why did we sign up for this.. 🐌🤢

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Louis 2018

Went to Expo earlier, managed parking on the street thankfully but they were charging €10 for parking in the RDS,a bit much and another expense put on people especially those popping in and straight back out. Hope everyone is feeling good ahead of Sunday 😁

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,191 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

I've been busy today so haven't been too stressed. Have very little on tomorrow, that's when the crazies will set in for me!

Collected my race number and on my way back home.

Didn't really hang around the expo too much. Seems like a decent amount of stuff at it if you fancy a bit of shopping, but I wasn't bothered!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭T-Bird

My wife has had the flue all week so we've done our best to keep apart. She still quite bad so I'll be traveling up and staying on my own.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

This is lovely 😍 maybe more for supporters but definitely captures the emotions of marathon day

I wasn't able to get out and about much yesterday and had no run to do, and honestly the day felt like it had 85 hours in it. That said, I managed to try all my gear on with gels, zero tabs in pockets etc. - all good on that front.

3km shakeout today and a trip to the Expo will see me right (or maybe push me over the edge!) 😆

Ah that's a pity. Hopefully she can track you on the app

It’s a shame she won’t be around. Hopefully you plan to meet up with fellow boardsies after!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,426 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

Picked up race number yesterday evening just before 6. No queues and absolutely no problems collecting my number and someone else’s. Nice merchandise, treated myself to the blue T-shirt and green running jacket. Had a nosy around the expo after, it was grand.

As much hassle as it was to drive up to Dublin straight after work and contend with the traffic, I’m glad to have it over with and relax today. Off now to volunteer at my local parkrun - have my new beanie hat from the expo bag to wear!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 272 ✭✭j2

Conditions look perfect for tomorrow

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,191 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

A notification from Strava saying "get ready to run DCM 2023!!"... I've been trying to get ready for the last 3 months Strava!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26 kevinfkennedy

Best of luck to everyone battling the DUBLIN MARATHON tomorrow. Thank you to all the mentors for everything, it’s be been great to be along for the ride. See you all on the other side & Gods Speed 🏃‍♂️

Advertisement