Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Council house eligibility

• 27-10-2023 12:28pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 628 ✭✭✭

I'm not trying to ruffle feathers here, but is it true that there is no means test involved when it comes to applying for a council house?

Someone said to me recently that only the income of the person/s applying is considered. I've since checked online and this appears to be the case, although all types of income are considered such as rental income, income from share dividends etc. E.g.

But this would mean that a millionaire with all their savings in the bank and a net annual income that was below 30k is hypothetically then eligible to apply for a council house? I know they would have no interest in doing so, but surely I'm missing something here and this is not the case?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,672 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

https://www.dublincity.ie/residential/housing/i-am-looking-home/i-want-apply-council-home

Surely somebody with 1m in bank would fail the second criterion?

Apply for a Council Home

Back to I am Looking for a Home

You may qualify for social housing if you:

• Have a local connections to the area.
    • Are in genuine need of housing and are unable to provide accommodation from your own resources.
    • Have a legal right to remain in the State on a long term basis.
    • Are 18 years of age or older.
    • Have a net income that is below the thresholds listed below:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,672 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

What is true is that if you accumulate 1m in assets after becoming a social housing tenant, you will not lose the house, as they are lifetime tenancies.

There is a TD living in a council house / social housing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,308 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

Are you drawing up a situation to be annoyed about here that a person with a million quid would rather spend years on a social housing list than buy a house?

never mind that the “need” portion would rule them out..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 628 ✭✭✭Escapees

Doh - I totally missed this or else I saw it phrased differently. That makes sense now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 628 ✭✭✭Escapees

Not at all - it just seemed bizarre, but looks not to be the case anyway now!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 375 ✭✭RubyGlee

income isn’t the only thing you also need to be determined to have a housing need you can not make from your own means. I assume if someone has millions in the bank they would be classed as having means

Advertisement