Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hamas strike on Israel - Threadbans in op - mod warning in OP updated 19/10/23

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,446 ✭✭✭McGiver

Would be more interesting to see what's going in Abbas' head and Fatah in generally. They're keeping very low profile. Probably "wait and see" tactic.

They might secrently be thinking and hoping Israel cleanses Gaza of Hamas for them. It would be better for them too and they can't do it themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭Cordell

People of Palestine don't want peace, they want to be free. From the river to the sea. That means free of jews if anyone needs translation.That's what they want, nothing will change that and they will never accept jews there, and implicitly the very existence of Israel.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,569 ✭✭✭wandererz

Before this occurred, one could go to places like Tel Aviv and enjoy a vibrant nightlife, good food of all types, restaurants, bars, nightclubs, beaches.

El Al started flying to Dublin.

Even Cryanair was flying to Tel Aviv.

Arabs had /have a say in the Israeli government.

Tens of thousands of Palestinians were granted visas to work in Israel to earn money and provide for their families.

Israel worked to establishing peaceful links with many countries in the Middle East.

Israeli's were able to travel to Jordan, Egypt, Morocco, the UAE etc. AND vice versa.

For the first time ever things were on course for an eventual move to stabilisation of links, business and tourism in the ME.

Then HAMAS had to go and feck it up.

In my view this comes down to Islamic fundamentalism, Islamic ideology and straight out brainwashing from birth.

As a person of colour, I encounter this on a daily basis in Ireland. All one has to do is understand Arabic/Urdu and relate to people and their intrinsic views come out almost immediately.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Something we haven't seen a lot of is what happens when the IDF strike a tunnel network. It also might explain some of the excess damage being solely blamed on bombs

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,764 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Quite a telling post how you completely ignore the civilian deaths which are a part of 'being better at war'. Disgusting

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭Hey boy

He was replying to a previous poster so no need to caveat all sorts of things before he comments. Track back before jumping in please.

Post edited by Hey boy on

• Registered Users Posts: 8,103 ✭✭✭Odhinn

"Arabs had /have a say in the Israeli government."

Palestinians with israeli citizenship can be elected to the knesset. The millions in the West Bank, Golan, Gaza didn't and don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭I see sheep

What are you on about?

All that shows is an Israeli air strike with a load of bombs blowing everything in the block to bits.

(Probably killing many innocent kids)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Maybe some Irish people would want to cop on, particularly the modern left leaning folks working for US multinationals.

Some people were shocked when Cosgrove learned an important lesson in minding his own business and not having a pop at Israel.

Remind us again how many Irish work for Dell, Google, Intel, Cisco, Facebook, Oracle?

And how many people realise the founders or cofounders and even current chairperson/ceo are Jewish or of Jewish ancestry?

If Ireland choses, at the beshest of the virtue signalers, to start a dispute with Israel there will be one winner.

I am not allowed discuss …

• Registered Users Posts: 11,217 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

This is more reflective of the situation. The only way to eliminate Hamas is to eliminate a very large proportion of the people living in the sealed off territory that is Gaza. And Jewish people above all, know what that is called.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,217 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

It's a turkey shoot Gatling - largely defenceless fish in a barrel. Shocking level of disproportionality. I've been critical of the UN in relation to the Russian invasion but even the UN is truly shocked at what is going on there. A stain on humankind that will never be wiped off.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭I see sheep

• Registered Users Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭Raoul Duke III

There's a bunch of (presumably unemployed, therefore getting paid by Irish state revenues which largely derive from MNCs) PBP scruffs protesting outside Wix earlier today.

Shocking. I had to tell the driver to take the Bentley round by the docks instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,909 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

There is no Catch 22. If the Palestinian people support Hamas, and you seem to suggest that they do, then they support the events of 7/10 which then gives Israel's actions legitimacy under the rules of war.

The only route to peace is through the return of the hostages, the surrender of Hamas, its leadership and those who participated in 7/10, all based on a distinction between the Palestinian people and Hamas, a distinction the Palestinian people themselves do not seem to wish to make.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,630 ✭✭✭brickster69

UN debate about to start with a possible vote expected 7pm GMT

“The earth is littered with the ruins of empires that believed they were eternal.”

- Camille Paglia

Very true.

The key point is that this derives from Islamic fundamentalism. First, they came for the Jews, and I said nothing......

Women, LBBTQ+ and Western civilisations will be next.

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭blackvalley

I have no wish to comment on the rights or wrongs of the current awful situation that is unfolding over there but however I have two questions about how this situation was allowed to unfold.

1 / In an area as small as Gaza that is under permanent blockade how can Hamas manage to import or manufacture what looks like an unlimited amount of rockets , weapons and explosives. ?.

2 / How did Israel who pride itself on the efficiency of its security and military systems fail to see the impending invasion. ? If you consider the amount of planning and logistics required to pull off such an operation the failure to spot its preparation is inexplicable.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,987 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

They agree with Hamas and they celebrate their terrorism

this is as mental as saying women in Iraq agree with and celebrate the Taliban because they haven’t transformed into an all women crack military resistance movement.

Give me your explanation for how the Gaza people could hope to overthrow their Hamas oppressors?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,103 ✭✭✭Odhinn

Careful now, ye might break my hyperbole meter with that sort of talk.

Because then people ask well why were they standing next to the fuel tank oh well a human shield blame Hamas. *launch missile*

Dozens of journalists killed in this war already.

• Advertisement

The real antisemitism is going around and keeping tabs on which companies are “Jewish or not”

They improvise. European wellwishers provide pipes for water infrastructure that Hamas take from their own people and turn into improvised rockets.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭Cordell

Yes a handful of savage people won't be able to control a full country without significant support from the rest of the people, and this applies to both Afghanistan and Palestine.

Already paring down the hyperbole we’ve pared it down from they all must support them to “significant support” how much further can we walk this back: have you seen any polls conducted of Gazans on whether they support the situation or not? How much significant support do you need when your terror group is the only group with weapons in the strip because weapons are banned and embargoed? Surely it would make as much sense as kids throwing rocks at IDF soldiers. And the IDF happily shoots them in the leg for that— what would the baby beheaders who throw gays off rooftops do to them.

Probably not reasonable to keep waffling this assumption that Hamas, who only got 44% of the vote 17 years ago and wasn’t voted in by anyone under the age of 34, which makes up the larger majority of Gazans, somehow has the “support” of all Gazans or even now a “significant majority”

Might as well say the prisoners at Rikers Island approve of the guards because they haven’t managed to take over the prison. ie. A handful of people exerting control over a larger population.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,640 ✭✭✭Nermal

These things are only inexplicable if you believe the steady stream of propaganda you've been fed about 'the world's biggest open air prison'.

So you’re basically after saying the people in the Nazi controlled ghettos could have just risen up no I don’t think so. Rebellions require resources which the Gazans don’t have either. Certainly the US are major architects of regime change all over the world but not Hamas for some reason. It plays to their interests to keep this current quagmire. As long as it ensures all the wheels are nice and oiled. As though Hamas, who as we are repeatedly told has no regard for its peoples lives, who butcher babies and throw gays off building rooftops, would just give over and dissolve if thousands of old women nagged them to death and little children threw rocks at them.

US advisors (not 'advisors wink wink', advisors) reportedly sent to Israel

• Registered Users Posts: 29,078 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

you are factually incorrect.

israel's genocide has no legitimacy under any circumstances and is going against all of the rules of war.

the way to end this war is for israel to be forced back within it's original borders via america cutting support and the bds movement.

then once that is done and a palestinian state established, what remains of hamas can be dealt with via a UN peace keeping force.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,827 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

In regard to number 1.

I was under the assumption that the rockets are made from water pipes with home made rocket fuel, sugar and fertilizer etc...

Explosives can be homemade also with some reports they reuse unexploded Israeli bombs.

Advertisement