Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Property Market chat II - *read mod note post #1 before posting*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16 blowintothewest

It cannot both be a business and your personal property to do as you please with. Every other sale of goods in the state the state takes an interest to prevent negative actors from acting illegally. Housing and renting is and should be exactly the same. There are people on both sides of the transaction that want to try to gain money illegally in the transaction. That is why the government steps in.

I find it very hard to believe you would ever find a country that would allow a housing market to function without regulation and when you look at the well functioning ones like other European states you see far more regulation than here. So if landlords want to react accordingly that's ok but they won't find a better deal anywhere so to speak. Ultimately it's a business and businesses have profits and losses and if that's not acceptable there's other avenues to invest in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭The Student

It can that is exactly what a sole trader is. The extent of involvement by The State is to ensure properties meet health and safety regulations.

Setting a price that the market can bare is not acting illegally it letting the market find its equilibrium of supply and demand.

Economics 101 if supernormal profits are earned new suppliers are attracted to the market thereby increasing supply which has the effect of reducing price. This is how a free market works.

Other more mature rental sectors in other countries have supply that is a closer match to demand. More importantly they have a more balanced relationship with both parties in the lease. Sadly this is not the case in the Irish rental market.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,540 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Do you get the sense that loss is the only reason small LLs are leaving? The fact that so many are leaving when rents are so high, even before rates began to rise suggests that is not their only reason for exiting the rental market.

I do agree that no one can guarantee profit, but that in itself is reason alone to explain why making profit while it is there, is essential. No one feels sorry, nor should feel sorry for LLs when rents fell/ will fall, the market is subject to fluctuation. Like it or not, if you don’t have small landlords, those with one or two rental properties, then prices will rise, so loathing them isn’t conducive to your preference for lower rents.

It's more than health and safety requirements it's to enforce continued improvements. Not just in housing but it seems a large proportion of the country would let things go to wreck and ruin to squeeze a small amount out and the government cannot allow that to happen. Fixing prices I disagree with but setting minimum standards I do agree with.

As for your point on attracting new players to reduce the market didn't that happen with REITS but prices still increased?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭JohnnyChimpo

I'd rather leave it to the State to provide housing, but our current overlords are ideologically opposed to that.

You continue with this derogatory language of "self-pity" and "whinging" when I've made it fairly clear neither is germane to my position, it reflects fairly poorly on you.

And why shouldn't renters be "apathetic" about their rental situation? Ideally, one's housing should not be a major source of stress or concern, and shouldn't require active management. The intermediation of worthless landlords into the provision of this basic service (and human right) is the fundamental cause of all the shite and hassle that attends the rental market. Landlords don't build houses, and they don't introduce any efficiencies into the allocation of housing stock. Disintermediation is required.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭The Student

Min standards already exist. Attracting new entrants in large numbers ensures no one supplier or small number of suppliers will control the market. But what has happened is small landlords are being driven out of the market because of continued one sided legislation etc.

Everybody wanted professional landlords which is exactly what is happening in the form of the REITs. How is that working out?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,540 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

”I’d rather leave it to the State to provide housing”

I stopped reading right there.

I would argue they dont really exist having rented several places that fall far short of them. And even the existing standards are far too low already.

Unfortunately I think in this debate we both have different views of what we want the end result to be and as such won't agree on it. In my own view the one sidedness of the recent legislation you mention is there to protect people with the side effect that some take wild advantage of it, but that doesn't make it wrong. It's unfortunate that some have to leave the market but the alternative is even more terrible. In my job I see the social cost that the lack of housing has caused and it's shocking already.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭deirdremf

The rumour I heard was deffo about a town in the midlands.

That said, the stories below your post about teachers leaving Dublin en masse are really scary.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭deirdremf

His point sounds good to me, as a renter back then. I had a variety, some out and out gougers, others just happy to let the property cover costs or make a small profit. In the long run, neither sort was soft-hearted when time came to throw you out.

Luckily I managed to get out of that particular rat-race in the end. Dublin landlords are seriously the worst, so many of them still act as though it was 1913..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭timmyntc

We have been at full employment for a while, so any small contraction in GDP due to multinationals exporting less is not the end of the world, nor is it going to materially impact house prices.

There is still far too much pent up demand and sfa supply

• Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭Ozark707

Warnings of increases in IR could be coming even without further ECB hikes

Daragh Cassidy, of mortgage-broker and comparison site Bonkers.ie, warned that new fixed mortgage rates and variable rates could increase by up to one percentage point over the coming months.He said: “Even if the ECB doesn’t hike interest rates any further, the main Irish lenders are still highly likely to increase their mortgage rates over the coming months.”

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/how-mortgage-market-is-now-dominated-by-first-time-buyers-but-rate-rises-may-soon-change-that/a1713245339.html

• Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭timmyntc

We are unique in that any mortgages that fall into arrears or non-payment as a result of rate hikes, these cant be repossessed.

So the only option left to the banks is to raise their rates further, so that the "performing" mortgage holders pay even more to cover losses made on those in arrears.

No other country would see this happen

• Registered Users Posts: 3,512 ✭✭✭Timing belt

All though defaults etc do have a part to play the increase in mortgage rates referred to above will be driven by paying depositors a better rate of interest….At the moment mortgage holders are being subsidised by the low deposit interest charged and once this changes you will see this subsidy disappear and true rate passed onto mortgage holders.

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭getoutadodge

Latest CSO visualisation shows a staggering 140 k migration. In such a market I could rent out my coal shed to some unfortunate. By way of example a nearby house of 65 m2 has just been rented out to six people. Bunk beds have gone into the downstairs room. The Ponzi scheme rolls on.

https://www.cso.ie/en/releasesandpublications/ep/p-pme/populationandmigrationestimatesapril2023/

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭J_1980

And there’s a not insignificant amount of left wing voters (pbp, sf etc) who’d happily take in half of Palestine “because we are brothers and sisters in our struggle”.

housig crisis is all because of greed and landlords of course….

at this point i can’t even feel sorry for young people anymore. Sadistically, I quiet enjoy their plight when renting out my spare rooms for insane rents. If you have any marketable skills, go to a low tax, pro capitalist country, make money and buy cash when coming back.

It is interesting to see what is happening in the US now that mtge rate has crossed 8%. Housing demand back at mid 90's level and basically the market has ground to a halt. Builders are not faring as bad as they are juicing up the incentives (such as mtge subsidies). I am reading stories of realtors who survived 08 saying it is worse now.

USA is very different as they have 30 year fixed mortgages so anyone changing house would loose cheap fixed so it results in less people buying and selling and suppresses demand and supply. Ireland in contrast generally doesn’t have the same issue as fixed mortgages tend to be 2-5 years.

So no incentive to build until rents increase or government step in and pay….Absolute joke

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Advertisement

I agree but if IR's keep going up here (and that is the prevailing opinion it seems) it is going to be far main painful for many when they come around to refinancing after that 2-5 yr time is up.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Dibus

I'm currently renting. Would anyone think it would be wise to buy a property at the moment? Keeping in mind that there doesn't seem to be any change in the imbalance of offer/demand and with interest rates only going up and perhaps staying this way for a bit, is it wiser to wait if you can for lower rates or leave the rental market as soon as you can?

I have people say ´´get out of the rental market and buy yourself a property if you can´´. Others say ´´I'd wait this out´´.

I´m not even going to go into the whole ´´there's a crash coming´´because God knows they've been saying this for years..

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭theboringfox

There is no indication though rates here will go anywhere near that 8% mark?

I don't think we have to get anywhere near 8% before serious pain will be felt

Define serious pain? Are we talking about default on mortgage repayments because yet again it would be a very different scenario to the USA.

mortgages would be restructured in Ireland with practically zero properties reposed and being sold at discount which is the exact opposite of the USA…so no fire sale of properties leading to lower prices. The only serious pain would be on bank’s balance sheet because they would need to hold more capital or sell off the defaulted mortgages at x cent in the Euro.

personally I don’t even see much of that happening as pubs restaurants are not closing which tells you there is still disposable income.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,577 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

But home owner will be 5-10 years into there mortgages, let just take that it's a buyer five years into there loan, there wages could be 10+% higher. Government is increasing tax allowances and bands so there take home will increase by 10%. If they were single when they bought it they may now be in a relationship. Even if they have a young family government is picking up more childcare and school costs.

There was a discussion about this a few years back. Are you renting as a single person or a family units and how much is the rent.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 6,909 ✭✭✭amacca

Our govt is similar to the kind of gobshite that comes along when you are doing OK yourself, makes a couple of suggestions, then actively interferes and finally swans out the door smiling after completely **** the thing up

Except they don't **** off and keep doubling down on making a balls of it instead......

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭PeadarCo

In general it's cheaper to pay a mortgage than renting at the moment for the equivalent property. You also have vastly more security. Rent prices are unlikely to decrease and interest rates probably won't increase dramatically or at all going forward. Given the exodus of landlords rent prices will keep going up/rental accommodation standards will go down. So purely from a cost of living buying is better.

It does depend on your situation though. The younger you are the longer you can afford to wait. The older you are the shorter the mortgage term available to you resulting in higher repayments. Irish rental regulations are not set up for long term renting which also needs to be factored in.

As someone pointed out in another thread there is also the cost of the rent you are paying between now and buying to consider.

All this is only relevant if you have the deposit and income to buy in the first place. Which is the biggest hurdle and a huge difference between the current housing market and the mid 00s.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭Eclectic Econometrics

In your shoes my main consideration would be whether or not you intend to stay in the geographical area you currently reside for the long term. If you live in an area that you will stay in even if you move jobs then, for me, it is a no-brainer to buy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,577 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

As well I think interest rates will be slow to reduce. TBF banks in Ireland were slow to increase and the most expensive new mortgages are around 4-5% mortgages which is the ECB rate.or a bit above it

Even if the ECB rates drop Irish mortgage rates may not reduce below 2-3%.

Another if he is buying an apartment outside Dublin they are still below cost of construction in must locations

Slava Ukrainii

Advertisement