Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lidl: 10c for used bottles and cans [Expired]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,004 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

I don't have any resistance to recycling. But why make it so complicated? Do we really need a mechanized computer controlled system for recycling?

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭con747

How is it improving it for me? I live 10 miles from the nearest drop off point, I already use my recycle bin to the max I can. So it will take me nearly an hour to go to drop off and scan all my recycling now and use up more diesel in the process. How is that better for the environment than what I am already doing?

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭crusd

Funny how many people here are of the belief that all of their recyclable goods that the carefully segregate all ends up actually being recycled.

• Go to the shops and buy stuff
    • Use the stuff at home, keep the empties
    • Go to the shops to buy more stuff, bring the empties with you and deposit them

If anyone finds that complicated then they have bigger problems

You return them where you shop. Why you would return to deposit them when you don't need to go to the shop is beyond me but maybe you can explain that

You ever hear of delivered shopping? I rarely go to the shop.

• Advertisement

My problem is having to have a computer system to do something as simple as recycling a metal can.

It puts me in mind of this

The fabulously beautiful planet Bethselamin is now so worried about the cumulative erosion by ten billion visiting tourists a year that any net imbalance between the amount you eat and the amount you excrete while on the planet is surgically removed from your body weight when you leave: so every time you go to the lavatory there it is vitally important to get a receipt.

The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

I'm sure you'll figure something out, its really not that complicated. Alternatively, carry on as you are

My problem is having to have a computer system to do something as simple as recycling a metal can.

A first world problem if ever there was one

I'm sure you are one of the do gooders that have everything as it is also. Carry on as you are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,680 ✭✭✭green123

DaCor,

What about the fact that waste companies will put up their prices to make up for losing valuable cans and bottles?

And all the below points made by another poster?

• What about the unnecessary manufacturing of thousands of bespoke machines?

• What about powering said machines?

• What about having technicians drive around the country full time to repair these machines?

Even if recycle rate increases somewhat, it will not offset the inefficiency of the overall process.

It will do more harm to the environment, economy and consumers than good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,372 ✭✭✭✭elperello

When you say "carry on as you are" you are suggesting that someone should accept loosing the deposit on every can and plastic bottle they buy.

That could add up to quite a lot over time.

• Advertisement

How much is the deposit fee?

From 1 February, 2024, when you buy a drink featuring the Re-turn logo, you will be charged a small deposit  in addition to the price of the drink. The drinks containers included in the Scheme are PET plastic bottles and aluminium and steel cans between 150mls and 3 litres. A deposit of 15c will apply to containers from 150ml to 500ml inclusive and a deposit of 25c for containers over 500mls to 3 litres inclusive.

https://re-turn.ie/#:~:text=Ireland's%20new%20Deposit%20Return%20Scheme,the%20price%20of%20the%20drink.

What about the fact that waste companies will put up their prices to make up for losing valuable cans and bottles?

Is this a fact? What are you basing this on? Have you seen something showing prices are going to go up as a direct cause of this or are you making assumptions? Its still going to be the waste companies emptying these machines.

What about the unnecessary manufacturing of thousands of bespoke machines?

Eggs & omelets. Its like complaining about the manufacturing process of new buses as a way of opposing the rollout of new bus routes

What about powering said machines?

What about it? Our grid is getting cleaner and greener by the day. If powering things is a massive concern to you we have much bigger fish to fry e.g. removing emissions from our grid faster.

What about having technicians drive around the country full time to repair these machines?

What about it? If you have concerns in this element, systems like this have been in operation for decades on the continent so maybe you could provide some details around how much of an issue this might be

Even if recycle rate increases somewhat, it will not offset the inefficiency of the overall process.

I disagree. Evidence from the continent shows we'll hit 95%+ rates. Our current rate is approx 60% if I recall correctly

It will do more harm to the environment, economy and consumers than good.

I disagree. You'll be hard pushed to find waste cans and bottles throw around the place where this is in operation as its valuable so people do not discard it lightly

Nobody will be forced to return containers, so if you wish to forego the deposit you can do so. Whether you do or not is a personal choice. Some will value the deposit, some will not. If you don't, then yes, carry on as you are and recycle using your current method

It's Hobson's Choice.

You either comply or lose money.

Which drives the increased recycling rates but which will never achieve 100% because some will value the deposit, some won't. Either way the rate of recycling increases which is a good thing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,310 ✭✭✭✭L1011

We had this exact system, but with slower, fiddlier manual returns, until the 70s and some countries never got rid of it.

Most of my beer is bought from two Irish breweries, one of which is down the road from me - a Dutch/German style crate and bottle return system for those would be ideal and massively reduce waste

Point is that if you don't do as your told you pay more.

As you say it should improve recycling rates.

It might also change consumer purchasing habits.

People might change from cans to glass bottles and from plastic bottles to Tetra cartons.

• @[Deleted User] run back to the Galway thread like a good lad, you ruined that place with your incessant repetitive posting style so please don’t ruin this sub forum too. It’s one of the few good ones left on boards

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,914 ✭✭✭Rigor Mortis

What do you go with your glass jars and bottles. I'd be fairly sure that your cans will be returned to the same place as most glass return points are in the car park of supermarkets and convenience stores

How kind of you to ask, I keep the very few of them I use to bring to a return point a few times a year. Not sure how that has anything to do with the new process being forced upon certain people who already recycle responsibly though.

• Advertisement

So, the point being you will now deliver your cans and bottles to prettty much the same place. Albeit it will be probably be somewhat more frequent, depending on whether you drink a lot of soft drinks or beer.

While you recycle responsibly, we have very low rates of recycling on these items compared to European levels and the quality of the material that comes through the recycling process is poor because it is contaminated with other substances making it harder, more expensive and more energy intensive to recycle back to food grade packaging.

We've kind of fooled ourselves in this country into thinking we're good at recycling. We're really not and that which good people like yourself is doing is not as effective as it needs to be. Thats why the change is being forced, cos it wont happen otherwise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 745 ✭✭✭tjhook

There should be no surprise. This is what government does - apply pressure to change the public's behaviour to what it thinks it should be. As usual though, there may be unintended consequences.

In my case, I do use quite a few aluminium cans. Without exception, these go into my recycling bin. I generally choose to buy cans rather than bottles/jars, because it's handier - I don't want to be storing or carrying glass around until it's convenient to visit a bottle bank. Whereas my recycle bin is right outside my door.

With these new rules, bottles/jars will become handier. Both need to be brought somewhere but with glass there's no extra outlay at purchase time, no dealing with machines or credit vouchers. And if some of all my jars find their way into my general waste because I'm not likely to be visiting the bottle bank for the moment, so be it.

Is that better or worse? I'm not sure. I would have guessed aluminium is lighter and more efficient to manufacture/transport, and easier to recycle. But I don't know. Surely I won't be alone in my response.

Of course the obvious "all stick no carrot" response would be to start applying deposits/levies to everything. But then there'd be even more unintended consequences.

The carrot in this case would be a similar one to when the plastic bag levy came in i.e cleaner streets

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 745 ✭✭✭tjhook

While I do see certain areas being repeatedly strewn with litter, I've not noticed cans being the problem. I do see the odd discarded beer can, but what I see is mostly from take-aways, cigarette butts, etc.

A report from the Litter Monitoring Body in 2020 shows that alcoholic and non-alcoholic beverage cans together constitute 2.5% of litter in Ireland, so creating additional this additional inconvenience for the public is not going to have much affect on street litter. Especially if the result is discarded bottles instead of cans. Not to mention the danger of broken glass on the streets.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,435 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

just got a letter yesterday. bin lifts are going to cost me about 30% more next year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,435 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

just got a letter yesterday. bin lifts are going to cost me about 30% more next year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

The FAQ states that the purpose is to reduce litter. I see that with the 150ml to 500ml bottles, but I can't say I've ever noticed an issue with 2L bottles around the place.

2l bottles make up a tiny proportion of sales compared to multipack cans and single bottle and can sales. Ireland is very diffrent to Europe in that regard.

On the earlier point about alcohol bottles making a tiny part of litter, the same is not true of soft drinks and water containers.

On the point about switching from bottles to glass, beer is one of the few areas where that will happen. DRS wont apply to bean cans, just beverages. You may have some water switching from plastic to tetra, which is a pity cos tetra is really bad in terms of the reality of how its recycled - in theory its recycled in practice its normally not and frequently landfilled or burned.

The real motivation here is not litter though, its emissions. You start recycling food grade plastic and you reduce emissions from that packaging by about 60%.

On the glass v plastic or cans. Unless the glass is reusable, which is uncommon these days, the recycled plastic is lower emission to make and transport, same is true v cans. Although, there is quite a bit of investment in can technology that will reduce the emissions associated with that.

The removal of rpet (plastic) and aluminium from bins will reduce the income for waste management companies but the industry will also be taking this as an opportunity to increase revenues while they can blame the government.

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,829 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,829 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

This is it in a nutshell. If only everyone had your clarity!

Advertisement