Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hamas strike on Israel - Threadbans in op - mod warning in OP updated 19/10/23

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,420 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Hamas don't give a **** about the people of Gaza, they want to avenge past crimes and are religious fanatics who think dying as a martyr is a good thing. Every innocent casualty in Gaza makes Hamas stronger

Israel are supposed to be enlightened Democrats. The zionists in Israel are just as fanatical as Hamas are

• Registered Users Posts: 5,827 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

If it made zero difference, 45 countries would not have abstained. Do the countries who abstained feel indifferent to what's going on?

It wasn't a resolution about hostages, I've no clue why you brought hostages up.

• Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭dickdasr1234

"Trumps method of eliminating high profile terrorists was strategic , precise , purposeful."

Rather vague. I sincerely doubt you could be any one's teacher.

How does any go about clearing out a labyrinthine system of tunnels under a city in the manner you describe?

The Yanks didn't have much joy in Vietnam and that was in open country.

Stop talking shyte.

• Registered Users Posts: 464 ✭✭Iamabeliever

If you were a palestinian would you not be shouting for blood? I know I would.

The IDF. Hamas cannot be allowed have fuel.... Israel won't allow any fuel in Gaza..... but allow Gaza and Hamas have access to 100s of thousands of gallons of fuel in storage sites in Gaza.... yeah I'm confused as you are. Bomb a bakery but not a fuel depot which Hamas would actually use.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,582 ✭✭✭amandstu

Who ,according to you are the "Zionists" in Israel?

Are there Israelis who are not "Zionists"?

Who are they?

Why are Israelis "supposed to be enlightened Democrats"?

According to whom?

Hamas also said before, that they would release all civilian hostages if Israel scaled down the bombing.... Israel didn't, they increased the bombings.

I suspect both sides are talking out the side of their mouths.

Every one of us would be utterly enraged if we were directly affected by an occupying army pulverising our families and friends

And every one of us would be devastated if hundreds of our kin, innocents, were killed in a surprise, indiscriminate, attack.

Emotions on both sides are understandably heightened. Leaders should be thinking about the consequences of acting irrationally on those emotions.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,974 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Kinda mental to assume kids are born anywhere with an inherited political or religious belief

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭Longing

You are kidding right, It spreads hate, fear and inducing for further killings to happen. There needs to be calm people, smart people to address the highly volatile situation. We have saw today Israel opened the door for Hamas and they shut it firmly in there face.

• Advertisement

The zionists are the people who believe Israel has been appointed by God as a Jewish homeland.

There are loads of Israelis who are not zionists.

Israel is supposed to be 'enlightened democrats' on the basis that they themselves describe themselves as the only true democracy in the region

Or they don't trust the other and neither will take the first (foolish)step.

Hamas should not be in the position it is in to make any demands at all.

Israel's hands are not innocent either but they have the backing of the world community since their messy establishment in 1947 and are morally justified in defending their position on that basis.

Does Israel have the backing of the world community?

I'm sure if Israel had the backing of the world they could bring an UN vote to show support for Israel to keep pounding Gaza with bombs. I mean the majority of the world countries just showed they want a truce. Doesn't sound like the world is on Israels side right now?

OK I just assumed a Zionist was someone who accepted the validity of the state of Israel.(So I thought all Israelis had to be Zionists-were all the founders "Zionists?)

Well are they or aren't they?

You imply they are not.Which part are they not ;enlightened or democratic?

Are they an unenlightened democracy ?

An enlightened kind of non democracy?

An unenlightened dictatorship?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭greenpilot

True. As any of us over '50's can attest to, if you think the world is scary now, you should have been in your teens in the late 70s to the 90's. Iodine pills, Civil Defence everywhere, Army patrols outside banks, the 'Ra, portlaoise prison, bombings, shootings......and that was just here.

Then we also has a new war cropping up every week.

And Bosco and the magic feckin door.

They had it in 1947 and since then have had to fight wars of aggression from their Arab neighbours and a campaign of terrorism by the PLO and Hamas.

To survive they had to win those wars and defend their citizens against the barbaric terrorism perpetrated by the Palestinian terror groups at various times.

At this present juncture they are fairly justified in thinking that if they do not end the threat from Hamas there will be attacks on them which bring to mind previous disasters such as in WW2.

I am not trying to put the blame on one side and feel the input from the religious section of the Israeli population serves nobody's interest but their own misguided one(I would equate them with Hamas-they would be equally ruthless if they had the power)

• Registered Users Posts: 464 ✭✭Iamabeliever

What planet are you living on? Do you expect the Palestinians to sit in their homes and pretend there's no genocide being perpetrated upon there population.

I don't know what fake news you are referring too.

Not sure why you are quoting me there or what you are responding to.

Who assumes that?

Isn't it normally accepted that those beliefs are greatly influenced by family ,culture and circumstance ?

This is 2023 though, not 1947. Maybe Israel's policy has eroded support all these years.

I won't get into history like others on this thread, I simply do not know enough about it to make a comment. I simply speak about what is going on now in Gaza. Some people can use history to justify what Hamas or Israel have and are doing, I just think about the near 10k innocent deaths (both sides) in 3 weeks and am shocked and saddened. There's no justification to that loss of life. From the Hamas attack, absolute barbarians, disgusting what they did and I still cant come to read the actual reports as it's just too disturbing. From Israels side, 7k innocent lives won't bring back the victims of Hamas. So we're back to just killing for the sake of killing.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,974 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

"Are there Israelis who are not "Zionists"? Who are they?"

Your question seemingly implied Israelis were born died-in-the-whool as Zionists.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭Longing

The planet I'm living on is called Earth.

Do you expect the Palestinians to sit in their homes 

I expect the Palestinians to take to the streets in peace Rallys just like we had here in the 90's. If the people of Gazza want change they need to abolish Hamas and told You are not welcome here. Bad apples need to be taken out of Gazza for peace to have a chance.

How many lives would be lost if Israel is defeated?

Sure support for Israel's policies may have diminished (hard to say in the middle of all this) but has support for its right to exist diminished practically or on an ethical basis?

Hamas calls for the destruction of Israel and (if I understand correctly) the slaughtering of all Jews.

Post edited by amandstu on

Ah ,yes I did.

But if you look back a few posts I think you will see that I have accepted that I was not right and that (as another poster, @Akrasia argued) that Zionists are a subsection of the Israeli (and worldwide) population who believe that the land was granted to them by a God.

My previous working assumption was that Zionism was just a 19th and 20th century movement calling for the establishment of a state for both religious and secular Jews.

I accept I was wrong unless someone clarifies differently.

Post edited by amandstu on

• Registered Users Posts: 4,412 ✭✭✭Homelander

And this is the thing.

The idea of Hamas coming to the table in good faith is like giving credence to the idea of ISIS coming to the table.

That doesn't excuse what Israel is doing, but a bit of realism is needed.

Hamas is an utter cancer in the exact same way ISIS is, hard to expect Israel to negotiate with a fundamentalist, barbarian organisation that belives in Israel being wiped off the map and jews driven into the sea, not to mention their stance on women, LGBT, virtually everything we consider base level progressive in the west.

We're talking about a fundamentalist, hardcore, Jihadi group. That is the Government of Gaza.

That's the big thing that people seem to dance around. Hamas is the Government of Gaza, the democratically elected Government. Yeah, I get they haven't held elections since, but polls show strong support, and the PA hasn't held elections in the West Bank precisely because Hamas could take power there as well, right now, in 2023. So all the talk of "But current day Palestinians didn't vote for them".

A lot of them did. A lot of them that didn't vote for Hamas then, would inevitably vote Hamas now, both in Gaza and the West Bank. Hence no elections in the West Bank either.

It was a Government that attacked Israel a few weekends ago, not some fringe underground resistance with limited public support.

I don't think too many people here were urging the US to sit down with ISIS to spare the civilians of Iraq, Syria, etc. Why didn't that happen? Because people took the stance that ISIS was an evil that had to be destroyed.

I'm not for a second saying that it's OK for civilians in Gaza to be dying at the rate they're dying but how would anyone suggest Hamas be dealt with.

That's besides the fact that Israel is grabbing land in the West Bank and everything else. I understand and accept that. But how would anyone proposed that Israel deal with Hamas specifically.

No matter what people try and make it out to be, it is, has never been, and unfortunately for a long time won't be black and white.

It's an extremely difficult situation with no real answers. That doesn't make anyone, or any actions, justifiable or right, but the idea that there's a simple solution, or that it boils down to Israel simply backing off, are not realistic.

That would save lives in the very short term but not longer term.

PA has already said they won't take control of Gaza if Hamas is deposed by IDF. So....what?

Complete nightmare. Anyone trying to make out that it's some simple thing if only Israel would stop being the baddies are kidding themselves.

Israel won't be defeated. They can scale back their bombing campaign and still not loose.

Hamas won't get another free shot at attacking Israel like they did before. Israel is now shooting fish in a barrel, they have then surrounded and it's pretty much their move. They chose mass bombing, cutting of food, water, power, medicine supplies.

Now if they keep going over the top like now, allowing innocent civilians to die from starvation, disease etc... followed by a ground invasion, then it may make the likes of hezbollah attack (not the tit for tat exchanges like now), then America has to intervene and we get a wider scale war.

Hamas may have started it, but it would be Israel expanding it.

I would like to believe that Israel cannot be defeated (I am not talking about this occasion but in the medium or longer period into the future).

However this may or may not be how it is viewed from their eyes

If they do fear defeat then that would change their calculus obviously.

Do you think they may fear defeat at some point?(I have heard this sentiment expressed)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭TinyMuffin

Hamas can't be reasoned with, I agree with you it's a cancer like ISIS. But the US didn't kill 7000 civilians in their battle with ISIS, it was a fraction of that.

Maybe, just maybe Israel is acting out of revenge and don't care about collateral damage?

IDF spokesman on Sky News the other day didn't even refute the 700+ killed civilians in the past 24 hours. He was also asked what % of those killed were Hamas terrorists.... he refused to answer.

Even Russia while bombing civilian targets claiming there's Nazis or military targets give figures (propaganda, but figures at least)

I guess the IDF can't tell how many terrorists were waiting for the bread to bake in Gaza?

You should look up the definition of zionism. (be careful there may he some revisionism)

Democracy is an enlightenment value.

If you want to claim the virtue of being a democracy then you should be held to the standards of an enlightened society

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Age_of_Enlightenment

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,412 ✭✭✭Homelander

I don't disagree with any of that. I'm sure the strikes have dealt minimal damage to Hamas as a literal, on the ground, fighting force, though they are without doubt crippling their abilities overall.

But yes I would fully agree that the majority of casulties are civilian and there's no real justification for that no matter what side of the debate you're coming from.

But the point remains - what does Israel do to deal with Hamas?

If they never bombed Gaza in the first place and went in with a ground invasion the civilian casulties would be even worse. You're talking Stalingrad all over again.

There's no ideal solution to this. People will talk about peace talks, two-state solution, and the rest as if it's some simple solution that Israel won't see sense on - and ultimately that's entirely what should be the end-game. But in the here and now, not very realistic with Hamas remaining in control of Gaza.

Advertisement