Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hamas strike on Israel - Threadbans in op - mod warning in OP updated 19/10/23

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 82,382 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

"Are there Israelis who are not "Zionists"? Who are they?"

Your question seemingly implied Israelis were born died-in-the-whool as Zionists.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭Longing

The planet I'm living on is called Earth.

Do you expect the Palestinians to sit in their homes 

I expect the Palestinians to take to the streets in peace Rallys just like we had here in the 90's. If the people of Gazza want change they need to abolish Hamas and told You are not welcome here. Bad apples need to be taken out of Gazza for peace to have a chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭amandstu

How many lives would be lost if Israel is defeated?

Sure support for Israel's policies may have diminished (hard to say in the middle of all this) but has support for its right to exist diminished practically or on an ethical basis?

Hamas calls for the destruction of Israel and (if I understand correctly) the slaughtering of all Jews.

Post edited by amandstu on

Ah ,yes I did.

But if you look back a few posts I think you will see that I have accepted that I was not right and that (as another poster, @Akrasia argued) that Zionists are a subsection of the Israeli (and worldwide) population who believe that the land was granted to them by a God.

My previous working assumption was that Zionism was just a 19th and 20th century movement calling for the establishment of a state for both religious and secular Jews.

I accept I was wrong unless someone clarifies differently.

Post edited by amandstu on

• Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭Homelander

And this is the thing.

The idea of Hamas coming to the table in good faith is like giving credence to the idea of ISIS coming to the table.

That doesn't excuse what Israel is doing, but a bit of realism is needed.

Hamas is an utter cancer in the exact same way ISIS is, hard to expect Israel to negotiate with a fundamentalist, barbarian organisation that belives in Israel being wiped off the map and jews driven into the sea, not to mention their stance on women, LGBT, virtually everything we consider base level progressive in the west.

We're talking about a fundamentalist, hardcore, Jihadi group. That is the Government of Gaza.

That's the big thing that people seem to dance around. Hamas is the Government of Gaza, the democratically elected Government. Yeah, I get they haven't held elections since, but polls show strong support, and the PA hasn't held elections in the West Bank precisely because Hamas could take power there as well, right now, in 2023. So all the talk of "But current day Palestinians didn't vote for them".

A lot of them did. A lot of them that didn't vote for Hamas then, would inevitably vote Hamas now, both in Gaza and the West Bank. Hence no elections in the West Bank either.

It was a Government that attacked Israel a few weekends ago, not some fringe underground resistance with limited public support.

I don't think too many people here were urging the US to sit down with ISIS to spare the civilians of Iraq, Syria, etc. Why didn't that happen? Because people took the stance that ISIS was an evil that had to be destroyed.

I'm not for a second saying that it's OK for civilians in Gaza to be dying at the rate they're dying but how would anyone suggest Hamas be dealt with.

That's besides the fact that Israel is grabbing land in the West Bank and everything else. I understand and accept that. But how would anyone proposed that Israel deal with Hamas specifically.

No matter what people try and make it out to be, it is, has never been, and unfortunately for a long time won't be black and white.

It's an extremely difficult situation with no real answers. That doesn't make anyone, or any actions, justifiable or right, but the idea that there's a simple solution, or that it boils down to Israel simply backing off, are not realistic.

That would save lives in the very short term but not longer term.

PA has already said they won't take control of Gaza if Hamas is deposed by IDF. So....what?

Complete nightmare. Anyone trying to make out that it's some simple thing if only Israel would stop being the baddies are kidding themselves.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,801 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

Israel won't be defeated. They can scale back their bombing campaign and still not loose.

Hamas won't get another free shot at attacking Israel like they did before. Israel is now shooting fish in a barrel, they have then surrounded and it's pretty much their move. They chose mass bombing, cutting of food, water, power, medicine supplies.

Now if they keep going over the top like now, allowing innocent civilians to die from starvation, disease etc... followed by a ground invasion, then it may make the likes of hezbollah attack (not the tit for tat exchanges like now), then America has to intervene and we get a wider scale war.

Hamas may have started it, but it would be Israel expanding it.

I would like to believe that Israel cannot be defeated (I am not talking about this occasion but in the medium or longer period into the future).

However this may or may not be how it is viewed from their eyes

If they do fear defeat then that would change their calculus obviously.

Do you think they may fear defeat at some point?(I have heard this sentiment expressed)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭TinyMuffin

Hamas can't be reasoned with, I agree with you it's a cancer like ISIS. But the US didn't kill 7000 civilians in their battle with ISIS, it was a fraction of that.

Maybe, just maybe Israel is acting out of revenge and don't care about collateral damage?

IDF spokesman on Sky News the other day didn't even refute the 700+ killed civilians in the past 24 hours. He was also asked what % of those killed were Hamas terrorists.... he refused to answer.

Even Russia while bombing civilian targets claiming there's Nazis or military targets give figures (propaganda, but figures at least)

I guess the IDF can't tell how many terrorists were waiting for the bread to bake in Gaza?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,399 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

You should look up the definition of zionism. (be careful there may he some revisionism)

Democracy is an enlightenment value.

If you want to claim the virtue of being a democracy then you should be held to the standards of an enlightened society

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Age_of_Enlightenment

• Advertisement

I don't disagree with any of that. I'm sure the strikes have dealt minimal damage to Hamas as a literal, on the ground, fighting force, though they are without doubt crippling their abilities overall.

But yes I would fully agree that the majority of casulties are civilian and there's no real justification for that no matter what side of the debate you're coming from.

But the point remains - what does Israel do to deal with Hamas?

If they never bombed Gaza in the first place and went in with a ground invasion the civilian casulties would be even worse. You're talking Stalingrad all over again.

There's no ideal solution to this. People will talk about peace talks, two-state solution, and the rest as if it's some simple solution that Israel won't see sense on - and ultimately that's entirely what should be the end-game. But in the here and now, not very realistic with Hamas remaining in control of Gaza.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,187 ✭✭✭ZeroThreat

Tbh Arnie may have his flaws, but I still admire him. 😉

Maybe not cutting off food, water, electricity and medicine would be a start. You don't want to look like barbarians. Maybe allowing foreign nationals to leave Gaza would be nice, they are hardly terrorists. Maybe bombing bakerys in alleged safe refuge camps would be a start. Can we also not kill journalists? I mean they look to tell the truth (21 dead in Gaza and the West bank, 67 died worldwide last year)

Maybe not resorting to your enemy tactics would be a start. Collective punishment will only help Hamas and make innocent Gazan's suffer more.

Don't ask what Israel should do, but ask what they shouldn't do, it's an easier way to start.

Don't want to talk at cross purposes but it does say there in your link (note I am not familiar with the Enlightenment)

"The leaders of the Enlightenment were not especially democratic, as they more often look to absolute monarchs as the key to imposing reforms designed by the intellectuals. Voltaire despised democracy and said the absolute monarch must be enlightened and must act as dictated by reason and justice—in other words, be a "philosopher-king".[62]"

When I think of democracy I think of its first historical occasion in Athens and when I think of enlightened "open to reason "comes to mind.

That maybe why "a supposedly enlightened democracy" didn't seem a necessarily appropriate condition for a state to be held to.

Israel has never really been at peace with its neighbours and we should maybe not necessarily expect the same of them as other countries who do enjoy peace.

Again, don't disagree with any of that at all.

But it still doesn't answer as to what Israel should do about Hamas.

• Registered Users Posts: 835 ✭✭✭mazdamiatamx5

You could say that about citizens of any country.

Why pick on Israel?

I have just looked at the wikipedia page for Zionism and it seems to accord with my initial understanding that it was not a religious movement that claimed the land was given to it by some God .

According to that page it seems to have been a broad church united around a particular kind of nationalism.

If that is the case then surely all Israeli citizens are Zionists if they are not hypocrites and the term anti Zionists should be more or less equivalent to anti Israeli .

I realise I seem to be going back on my retraction but am I right and is the term anti Zionist sometimes being misrepresented to describe a sub section of society when really it applies to the country as a whole?

I think Joe Biden described himself as a Zionist .Did that just mean that he supports the right of Israel to exist as a state?

And any country that does not recognize Israel can be called anti Zionist?

I appreciate that when Israel expands into new territories it lays itself open to the abusive characterization of Zionism but I feel that ,without defending it that is just the kind of expansionism we see elsewhere when wars are fought and the winners divide the territorial gains. (except that Israel has been for the most part the warred against)

I remember after the 67 war Israel defended its appropriation of the Golan Heights by saying it was necessary to defend itself against further aggression.....

I don't think the new settlements in the West Bank can be justified on those grounds. Are they?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭SortingYouOut

Beverly Hills, California

• Registered Users Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭Field east

Just release another two hostages and more negotiations and , and, and. The whole hostage thing could be strung out over months/ years. Hard to see the Israelis going for that timeline.

• Registered Users Posts: 464 ✭✭Iamabeliever

LOL

Lets put yourself in a 30 year old Palestinian shoes. Nevermind the occupation of their land and brutal oppression, they are now witnessing genocide of their people. But you think a peace rally is the answer???

Why didn't Israel take to the streets in a peace rally after October 7th instead of mass murdering a population.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 936 ✭✭✭boetstark

How come Palestinians had the right of passage back and forth into Israel to work , visit , whatever. I reiterate this was up until that inhumane attack by hamas on Oct 7th.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,399 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

There has been a long campaign by the most hardliner and extreme zionists to redefine the term zionism so they can then declare everyone who opposes their political and religious objectives as 'anti semites'

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,482 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Relentless airstrikes last night on areas previously declared by Israel as 'safe zones' for evacuation. Purely evil and barbaric. It's ethnic cleansing at this stage, the entire civilian population will have to become refugees in Egypt and beyond.

The arbitrary acts of retribution are akin to the destruction of the Warsaw Ghetto.

The international community spent a decade hounding Assad for indiscriminately bombing civilian areas in Syria resulting in a huge portion of the population having to leave the country and become refugees. What is Israel doing differently? This is the exact same playbook that is being used. It is disgusting behaviour, quite frankly.

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭Jimi H

Mass murder while the world silently watches on. Absolutely devastating and sickening

• Registered Users Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

Last I heard, Egypt won't accept any Palestinian refugees?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭howiya

Not all of them. Less than 20,000 work permits for a population of 2 million plus.

And where are those workers that happened to be in Israel at the time of the attack?

They're being held by the IDF in military bases without trial or charge, access to legal representation or due process.

Because Israel is a democratic country. Gazza is run by terrorists (Isis) big difference. Palestinian 30 year olds need to show the world we want change. A change to peace. We all know form our own country what peace can do over 25 years. Economically, better lifestyle. Also not having a gun pointed at you and sometimes to your head when you cross a border checkpoint in the 80s and yes this did happen to me. Anyway has one poster said earlier its a very difficult situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,564 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

What do you call a war when only one side has an army?

• Advertisement
Advertisement