Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Enoch Burke turns up to school again despite sacking - read OP before posting

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,597 ✭✭✭Ezeoul

The "sponsor" is probably their own pop up shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Yeah. I can see several people suing Ammi and Josaiah for Slander/defamation.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

I laughed at this seeing people of unknown gender are watching Josaias ads

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 68,560 ✭✭✭✭L1011

I would imagine that is deliberate targetting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,648 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 11,627 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

Thinking back now on the Amni and Josiah Ad, given it's content and their lifestyle, one might wonder if there was a cause and effect included tempting people to sue them, thereby causing the named persons having to stand aside/recuse themselves from their work duties or be accused of workplace bias against the Burke family members. After all, the Ad and the Burke family activities are all for publicity and promoting their agenda.

You mean they are deliberately doing it to be sued?

Terry Pratchet

Deleted

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement

Josiah has money. Looking at how much he spent in 4 years

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 28,939 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Who knows?

When you go digging further there's nearly 19,000 of facebook ads in Josiahs name over 4 years. And I think 19,000 is before VAT.

They must be earning good money from Martinas school - like all the driving for the last 10/15 years to Dail protests, to school protests, to aras protests, to court, to court protests.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 11,627 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

Where grabbing news headlines and public attention is the name of their game to enable an increase in the numbers of "the faithful", those who loom large in the headlines are the winners. Moolah runs second to free publicity in certain regards. They do have legal eagles in the family.

As for the financial income of Josiah, that is another kettle of fish. Seeing as the family are of a singular religious bent, one might wonder if the family is the recipient of any charitable donations.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,899 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

Enoch is still getting paid and Ammi got €70k reduncy, who knows what the parents have - donations, inheritance etc.

I'd imagine none of them consider money to be their own.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,648 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

They do have legal eagles in the family but their success rate at hanging onto their own job, never mind winning cases, is not great (PFO money from Arthur Cox doesn't count)

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,939 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

True, but they have to live as well, food, heating, diesel etc etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,776 ✭✭✭hoodie6029

Im sure it’s a great relief to everyone at Wilson’s but this thread has really died while Burke has been in the Joy.

Are we still waiting on a judgement from the summer time from the High Court in one of his cases? Burke challenged the impartiality of the members the Disciplinary Board IIRC?

The road to Hell is paved with good intentions.

Yep, still waiting. Hearing was 8th August. Nearly 3 months now.

• Advertisement

This wait is worse than the one for a new series of The Sopranos to come on RTE 2 years ago….

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,444 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Think so..

Enoch is never going to purge his contempt , so he's staying put for the foreseeable.

The next key event will be the judgements on his challenges to the disciplinary hearings.

Legally speaking it's hard to know how Enoch gets out of Jail - He will never purge the contempt , his zealotry won't allow it but he can't stay in jail indefinitely either.

So, they are going to have to come up with some pathway here.

It’s an unprecedented situation, the Quinns and the Rossport pipeline protestors eventually purged their contempt. It’s very hard to know how to deal with this.

Let him out and he’ll run back to the school. Lock up up for trespass, once his sentence is served, back he goes again.

I’ve said many times on this thread, the Burkes are a cult. Societial norms don’t work with them or any cult.

Keeping him locked up for contempt won’t work either. You leave someone inside for 2 years or 20 years, they’d have a fair case for breach of Human Rights. Locked up without trial etc. It doesn’t matter that Burke is wrong, you can’t leave him there forever either.

I think the Courts System is very conscious of this too and that a case like this could ‘break’ the way we handle Contempt of Court now, which for the most part, works effectively. I think that is why he was let out last year on the spurious grounds of ‘well, the school is closed for Christmas’.

I think that might be the Burke endgame here. Break Contempt and policing protests, hospital exclusion zones etc becomes much more difficult for the State.

This started out as ‘you can’t tell me what to say (but I’ll happily tell others what they can’t say)’ protest but at some point the Burkes realised the potential of this case.

Obviously the above rambling are just my thoughts, what I’m speculating.

Shell applied to have the Rossport lads let out, they never purged.

Wilson's know that would be a very bad idea in this case

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,444 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Was just about to post that.

Shell backed down on their threat of charges, making the contempt moot.

I think that the potential solution here is to wait until the disciplinary hearings are concluded and he is finally and officially sacked and no longer in employment.

Then you let him out (for Christmas, whatever) and wait for him to rock up to the school again and you arrest him for trespass or breach of a barring order and he gets jailed for a fixed term.

You can rinse and repeat that as much as you want with potentially escalating jail terms for repeated breaches.

But they absolutely have to find a way to deal with him outside of the Contempt issue.

I suspect a criminal conviction might put him off. It's likely his future lies in touring the US talking about being oppressed, and a conviction would make the visa near impossible

Rossport was the wrong example there. I misremembered what happened. The Quinns certainly gave up after a few weeks inside. 

When the Disciplinary Panel rules and he no longer has a job and all his appeals are exhausted he still won’t recognise the validity of rulings. He only recognises things when they go his way. 

He’s not the first person to think that the Courts are wrong and gripe about it for the rest of their life. But the threat of prison is enough for them to keep their grumbling to themselves. They run out of money for barristers and need to turn up to work to earn a living. Those things don’t apply here. 

I do think the Attorney General and others here are taking a very deliberate ‘Wait and See’ approach here. They don’t want to be forced to make law to deal with this. In the meantime Wilson’s is being left to suffer. At least they have some respite for now.

Not one I'd seen before and is from a long while back, but is hilarious

• Registered Users Posts: 10,277 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Isn’t that the age of the average Facebook user?

• Advertisement

I wouldn't know, I've never used it. Don't even have an account.

Advertisement