Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Tesla Talk

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,740 ✭✭✭Raoul

When people say autopilot here, are they talking about the enhanced autopilot?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,934 ✭✭✭✭josip

The amount of resistance is the same, but the impact on EVs is greater because they have less energy that they can apply to overcome it compared to an ICE.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,152 ✭✭✭lau1247

West Dublin, ☀️ 7.83kWp ⚡5.66 kWp South West, ⚡2.18 kWp North East

• Registered Users Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭Conar

I know I'm the one that was suprised by how bad the weather affected my drive, but I don't think wind could be any different and if anything its probably less for an EV but just more obvious because the range is lower and we're so focussed on it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J8g9b6y7E8A&t=376s

I've just watched the video above and was shocked at the calculations he makes based on the different speed. In an M3LR in no wind you burn nearly twice the battery power doing 80mph vs 60mph???? I swear to f*&k if that video makes me start hypermiling I'm selling my car :-)

edit

I should have said that it appears the aerodynamics (drag coefficient and frontal area) are the variables that matter so EV's are no more sensitive to these effects than ICE cars.....I feel so sciency right now ngl

• Registered Users Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭poker--addict

I think people under estimate how much extra fuel they burn in an ice when going at 120kph, or driving into a headwind. I assume it must follow an almost identical level of "excess" compared to dry road at 100kph. Range is just not so top of mind?

😎

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭Conar

I've gone down a rabbit hole.

https://www.motormatchup.com/efficiency?id=606b383405cd693ba59c2661

Savage site there.....can put in headwind (only up to 20kph), extra weight, temperature, and it pretty much marries up with what I was seeing a week ago in the bad weather. I looked at the weather history and there was an easterly wind at 24kph. My Trip showed 265whr/km. That site estimated 260wh/km.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,425 ✭✭✭JohnC.

Absolutely. I do very little motorway driving and in my ICE days, the extra fuel consumption was very noticeable when I did venture onto one.

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭TMY

For those that have a Tesla wall charger, the latest version of the Tesla app now allows you to connect to your wall charger.

You'll need the QR code from the quick start guide or you can enter the details manually and it must be the newer generation 3 charger (glass front). In the app click on the profile pic and add product. You may be prompted to install a firmware update that takes a minute or two.

Once you're setup, you can access charge history, access charging schedule and general settings.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,989 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

I think of it as following the thermal efficiencies. If you look at EV with c95% thermal efficiency then a 20% hit due to high speed means you are losing 19 percentage points of the energy. In an ice car with c25-30% thermal efficiency then you only lose 5-6 percentage points due to the same 20% efficiency hit .

Couple that with the much larger amount of energy on board as you say, (typical EV has 50-70kWh, typical ICE has 1750-2000+kWh on board equivalent) and you see why EVs are so badly hit.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,820 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Model X Plaid on Dunville avenue near Ranelagh.

Savage bus.

• Advertisement

@mfceiling much as I have tried to hate Tesla in the past while because of the cacophony of nonsense they are peddling, seeing the new x plaid - as the great JC would say - gives me a funny feeling in my gentlemans area

• Registered Users Posts: 4,192 ✭✭✭MarkN

The PR machine for Tesla was in full swing today...

https://www.rte.ie/radio/radio1/clips/22314962/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,942 ✭✭✭John arse

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Not sure who "Seamus" is but I am not sitting through 20 minutes of him telling me how good teslas are. I'm on my third so I know already :P

• Registered Users Posts: 3,541 ✭✭✭wassie

LOL....Ever since I first laid eyes on the DMC DeLorean, Ive had a thing for gullwing doors.....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,535 ✭✭✭eagerv

Good. Positive for a change. He didn't say which Model 3 he has, but with FSD cost over €70k (Missed the actual price but was it 77k?) 4 years ago? Model 3 P ?

He's obviously not the brightest knife in the toolbox if he paid for FSD with the car purchase (and the associated VRT) as opposed to doing it in the app after purchasing

• Registered Users Posts: 4,535 ✭✭✭eagerv

He didn't say if he bought the FSD before or after, just what the car cost him. He did say he wasn't a car person...

Sounded like the kind of fella who would pay extra to Elon, because it’s Elon tbh.

He made reference to the Y and said he was recently speaking to someone to paid only 47 when his was over 70. That fairly large chunk of price difference went unquestioned by Joe.

Ah he has had a good experience, fair play to him but a lot of people aren’t early Tesla adapters and I felt the piece was very fluffy and perhaps not a true representation of EV ownership, particularly on the subject of the charging network.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65,353 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

He did say they Teslas have come down a lot in price since he bought his 4 years ago. And based on the price, the car he bought was the Model 3 AWD LR or even the Performance with optional €7k FSD, vs the bog standard Model Y RWD only with zero options. Very different cars in performance alone!

To put it in terms of BMWs, I thought you of all people would have appreciated that a BMW M3 costs a good bit more than a BMW 520d 😉

Another opportunity for Joe was when the called mentioned the wife’s 200km EV, could’ve pressed him for his experience with that by comparison.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭jprboy

Boardsie fought the Law ..... and the Boardsie won !!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

You obviously had a predisposition of what you wanted the outcome to be?

would you rather we pay extra to Oliver Blume in VW or the accountants in BMW?

Not at all but with decades of radio experience and constant exposure to EVs, it wasn’t a balanced discussion on electric vehicles it was an ad for Tesla.

I see where you are coming from. It wasn't well balanced. The outcome might have looked like an ad for Tesla, but that wasn't the intention. To me it felt that Joe was pretty much overwhelmed with all this new tech. He had done some research, but not really enough to ask some hard(er) questions. Would you agree with that?

Also you are aware Tesla do not have any PR or marketing department? They simply don't do it, which I think has always been a mistake. They have recently mentioned they will start doing ads though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭Mr Q

But Tesla do PR, look at all the "leaked" Cybertruck videos and pictures. A lot are clearly from Tesla staff or insiders.

They were also at the IAA in Munich this year. So they are changing the way they do things.

The leaked stuff from within factories is very risky for employees, if found out, they are instantly fired. But yes, they are changing the way they do things. Musk's attitude was always quite arrogant on this as in something like "Tesla products are so good, they will sell themselves. I don't want to waste any money on promoting them". But I'd say many people inside and out of the company have softened him up on this. He put in a poll on Twitter (where else 🙄) about a year or so ago asking should Tesla do marketing? To which the majority answer was yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,961 ✭✭✭rocky

Tesla had some attempts at advertising, but they were quite generic and didn't point out some of the great features the cars have, or even the prices. Whenever I talk to someone new interested in Tesla, my standard question is "How much do you think the cheapest new Tesla is?", they invariably say mid 60k+... They are quite surprised when I point out the entry level Model 3 for 40k...

In the States they get more tax credits/rebates in some places, and you can get an M3 for less than 25k if all the stars align. An ad pointing out the low prices, or the lack of scheduled services would bring lots more people in.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,970 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

I don't think the context was a balanced discussion on EVs in general. The piece seemed more like a what is this Tesla thing that was driven with arms crossed. Getting into the nitty gritty of charging networks or the callers wife's 2nd car would be irrelevant to the story.

Advertisement