Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Autumn 2023 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭adocholiday

Yeah ECM out on its own though at the moment, West Cork and Kerry would be taking the brunt of it. Only positive is the worst of it blows through overnight. GFS windy but nothing crazy and none of the rest are going for much. Interesting to see how it plays out

• Registered Users Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭Dazler97

Met eirreans models look nasty I mean 950mb pressure is very low for Ireland and winds down below

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭pureza

Merciful hour I'm still soaked

I came out of Lidl in Arklow heading for the car and the downpour was unreal

The carpark was a lake of water

I only live a 5 minute drive out the road and hardly any,just light rain

• Registered Users Posts: 10,160 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Yer man on the rte weather there was dire,Mark Bowe. Poor fella shouldnt be on the tv.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,196 ✭✭✭pad199207

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭mcburns07

Hmmm not sure what the issue is? Seemed fine to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,653 ✭✭✭giveitholly

A lot of the heaviest rain seems to be focused in the south and east of the country the last few weeks,I am just wondering what levels the shannon are at this time of the year compared to other years?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,834 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

I hope the GEM model has the track of the storm correct. I suspect it hasn't though.

GFS would be even better. The 18z just out has a complete non event now bringing the winds into the Bay of Biscay. A secondary low cuts under the low to our West and takes the sting out of it for us.

This is a very complex system and I expect we're going to see a lot of changes between now and Thursday across the models.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,160 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Status Yellow - Rain warning for Carlow, Dublin, Kilkenny, Wexford, Wicklow

Met Éireann Weather Warning

A spell of heavy or thundery rain combined with saturated ground conditions.

Possible Impacts:

• Flooding

• Difficult travel conditions

• Disruption to outdoor events

Valid: 17:00 Saturday 28/10/2023 to 04:00 Sunday 29/10/2023

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,952 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

ECM continues to develop stormy weather over Ireland Wednesday night on this mornings run!!

All models show it very unsettled throughout with surely further flooding so the only doubt really is how windy it gets...

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭Robwindstorm

I am glad they've added meath and louth to warning area as the met office has intense showery rain moving in to these areas on a squally easterly tonight, but I think cavan should also be included.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭mcburns07

Another day, more rain in Cork. It's relentless and miserable. Worst spell of weather in a long while here.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,834 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

It looks like a proper storm on the ECM. I hope it tracks across the North West of Ireland into Scotland like past storms used to do. The low will probably end up further south in the end,though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭Billcarson

The autumn colours on the trees really are shite this yr. Still quite a lot of green about too. Many trees still near full leaf.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭Kutebride

Gorgeous bright morning Meath.

Hard to believe this afternoon forecast. Pity for all local Halloween festivals.

11⁰ Meath

• Registered Users Posts: 18,011 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Lovely morning to start the weekend.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Lashing rain again. Absolutely miserable. East Cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,614 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Significantly better than last year here but still not great. As you say a lot of green. We've had 3 late autumn colour years on the dot. Last "normal" one was 2020 though even 2021 turned at this point with some epics.

I hope the HARMONIE forecast for this evening isn't accurate! Parts of South Wicklow and North Wexford would see 30-40mm in 2 hours with this. The villages of Tinahely, Carnew and Shillelagh all had some level of flooding up to Monday and this amount of rain would cause issues on saturated ground. Thankfully it's out on its own with those numbers.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,982 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Weather fine in Dublin AP at the moment. Heading for Canada for a couple of days.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭pureza

You better be sitting up front ,to compensate for missing this evenings storms 😆

• Registered Users Posts: 9,409 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

I have actually noticed that the trees are hanging onto their leaves a lot longer this year.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭Dazler97

I'm well jelious I was in Canada this time last year in banff and vancouver 😢

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭compsys

Unsurprising.

September and October have been way above average temp wise (even if it hasn't always felt like it to humans) with soil temps above average too.

Even August was slightly above average temp wise in most locations.

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭boetstark

There are individuals over in the cycling v cars thread that say they commute each day by car or bike all their lives , And it has rarely if ever rained on them.

Could not make it up if you tried.

Icon rolling now really ramping next week's storm on Wednesday with another one to follow later in the week. Of course the potential rainfall on top of saturated ground looks like causing more flooding. Areas around Cork who got battered last week are right in the firing line again! Coinciding with still high tides by then I really think we are staring down the barrel of significant disruption both from wind and rain

• Registered Users Posts: 9,409 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Yeah you're right. Sure most people only turned on their heating recently and I am burning very little timber thus far.

Maybe the super June weather also made the trees very healthy. It just doesn't look like late October where the trees are concerned.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,904 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

The next 2 weeks are looking like nothing short of an absolute deluge. Latest GFS is one of the wettest 2 week charts I've ever seen for all of Ireland.

If the above verifies, flooding is going to be a real concern right across the country. Most of the country seeing between 140 and 180mm of rainfall over the next 2 weeks if this is correct, plus storms as an added bonus.

If this verifies and we then we progress into a possibly a very wet winter, what then!

• Advertisement

All I can say is it must be different across the country because the trees in Cork shed their leaves weeks ago. I was only thinking that it's the first Halloween in years that the trees are already bare!! Maybe it's because it was very windy and wet down here...

Advertisement