Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas Off Topic Chat

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,971 ✭✭✭SarahLil

Hey Elves just checking in the season is almost upon us, I hope you are all keeping well, your families, mini elves and pets too

I always intend like most years to stick around out of season but life gets in the way

Time has certainly crept up I can’t believe Halloween is Tuesday

All good here, I have made a start on Christmas, we hadn’t intended to but seen what we liked, what she liked decided to nab it. Christmas pjs bought, clothing for the little one and OH tackled Santa just a few more bits for her, I have the Christmas afternoon tea with my bestie booked weeks at The Westin,

Date for Santa at the golf club almost secured, will probably do Jervis too as we’ve done out the 2 previous years too

my little one is loving Halloween dressing up at her toddler groups and was able to tell me to nab the Cadbury advent calendar for her yesterday 😂

I look forward to the season with you all xx

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,933 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Something that I'm a bit curious of

We all love Christmas here but a lot of us (including myself) seem quite envious of our friends down under because of the equator line which means winter in our summer etc

Is it a love of winter ie Christmas time that makes us envious because in our minds to an extent they don't get a summer and while we're in a horrible heatwave there at home with blankets etc

If I had the money I'd love a home here (Sep-Apr) and home down under (May-Aug) Maybe a week or 2 sunmer along the way hahaha.

Christmas in July yep I'd take it ha

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭username2013

Not sure about others but I imagine most people like Christmas when it's cold and wintery. I spent a Christmas before on the beach in Australia and I hated it. Just not how it's meant to be. Cozy pubs in the lead up to Xmas, hot whiskeys, the food that is associated with it is more cold weather food than summer. Plus all the Christmas lights look way better in the dark of winter rather than mid summer.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,996 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Yeah I’m a cold and wintery Christmas man out and out. The colder the better. Hate the idea of having Christmas during summer!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭BK5

I have always wanted to own or retire to a place in Spain but I definitely would be back in Ireland for at least two weeks over Christmas every year.

Christmas is dark evenings, bright lights, cold walks, warm houses and the most comforting food imaginable.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,996 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Started the Christmas smyths shop today. It really feels like Christmas now!!! 😃😃😃

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭ClaudeVercetti

I was actually there in May of this year visiting the brother, it was the trip of a lifetime but given that it's their end of Autumn at that stage a lot of the days were fairly mild tbh! On the good days we got 23 degrees but outside of that we got about 15 on average. There's talk of going back for next Christmas to spend time with him but a hot Christmas would be a shock, I'd probably feel a bit robbed 🤣

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,592 ✭✭✭✭L1011

First mince pies of the season bought; and will be eaten after dinner. Already past pack three of stollen.

Seperately, we were given a homemade quilt/blanket by my eventual mother in law a good few years ago, which isn't used very often. When putting it back away today I noticed that it wasn't sitting right in the bag - turns out that we'd missed a present to my partner that year that was still under it, wrapped up! Nothing perishable thankfully.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,518 ✭✭✭✭DvB

100%

Cold, crisp and clear all the way.

To be honest I've never really heard anyone claim they'd prefer a summer Christmas,even the aussies I know over here much prefer our situation.

"I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,654 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

Yeah, Christmas in the summer sounds terrible. Don't think I'd like it the other way around! ☀️ I would probably prefer a snowy Christmas rather than a mild, wet one though!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭BK5

I'm the oldest of 3 kids and one year my parents and my younger brother and sister went off to Lanzarote for Christmas and they all said it was nice, but it didn't feel the same and they wouldn't do it again.

Anyone want to bring me for a pint?

We have a pub down in Waterford who keeps the tree up all year. 'The Grattan'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,518 ✭✭✭✭DvB

Great boozer. Their decorations are fabulous too!

"I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 915 ✭✭✭buzzerxx

Might go there this Saturday with the wife and 2 kids for lunch.

• Advertisement

Norway must be some magical place for Winter/Christmas. Dark all day round full of snow etc

Might bankrupt ya mind you

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,828 ✭✭✭Jude13

I am cold crisp/snow Christmas person through and through. Sadly Ireland is mild an wet at Christmas the vast majority or years. I was an ardent supporter for years. However the past 5-6 years I have changed my mind.

We get so much done in the great warm weather, BBQ outside, kids playing, swimming pools, no one complaining about the rain. It would be different if we were on holidays, as we are in our home its very homely, and we still have family visiting.

We through on the AC to a 'freezing' 22 degrees and get under a blanket and watch Christmas movies with all the grub from home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,853 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Got it!

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭XDivaX

Thank you for that! I popped out over my tea break and got one! :D

Like others, I'd rather stay at home for Christmas. We didn't have great weather for Christmas the last few years though. Saying that I would be glad to fly away to somewhere where there is loads of snow! Like Lapland! :D

• Advertisement

Id say the Santa there looks more like Santa than Santa

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭pigtail33

I have really bad circulation, so my body doesn't like the cold, but I still couldn't imagine Christmas during the summer. It's just not what we ever see on TV, or experience at home. Although I'm not a fan of our milder, wetter ones either! A nice cold fortnight, around Christmas, when all you have to do is sit in by the fire, and pleasant the rest of the year would keep me happy!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭CheerLouth

My sister brought these home for me today...knows me too well! Will enjoy flicking thru them with a cuppa later

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,997 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

Anyone get Santa in Arnott's tickets? Heard there's a bit of drama there?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭CheerLouth

Happy La-la-la-long weekend! Last long weekend before the big day itself!

Apparently they were meant to go on sale at 10am but they were put on sale at 4am and were sold out by 9am.

I looked it up I was expecting some Santa had run away with all the presents.

Yeah I heard similar.

Obviously happy days for people who got them but pretty bad form.

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭Andrew93

Busy weekend ahead for us so dropping in now to wish all a lovely last long weekend before the big day 😁

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,971 ✭✭✭SarahLil

Happy Long weekend elves

glad to see the Boots catalogue out I’ve been keeping an eye out love browsing it with a cuppa

Got my online shop this morning Santa on the Coke Zero cans

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,898 ✭✭✭Cork Lass

I stocked up on the Coke Zero too, a bargain at €10. I also got the doggie advent calendars in Aldi on Thursday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭tscul32

Thanks for the heads up on the advent calendar. Last year the OH used to say "Christmas" and the dog would run to the advent calendar.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Laurenox

If anyone hears of anyone with a spare ticket for the arnotts Santa that they can no longer attend could you please tell them to contact me! We have gone every year for 25 years (me and 3 other siblings) for the photo cause it’s tradition and this year we’re supposed to be bringing my cousins new born. We didn’t get the tickets - were told by arnotts they would be launched at 9.30am ugh. My email is <SNIP>

Post edited by Loughc on

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭noplacehere

Checking back in here after a long absence. My life has been absolute bedlam for the last few years. It’s showing no signs of slowing down but I am coping a wee bit better with it all and have some headspace again.

Its almost Halloween which means Christmas is coming and I’m starting to feel the buzz!!

where are the €10 cans? Must stock up!

Just as a FYI I’ve snipped your email address for privacy purposes. If anyone can help they can pm you for details. Best of luck!

€10 cans are in Tesco and SuperValu. Dunnes have 24 cans of Pepsi max for €11 at the moment as well.

Ours learnt "Advent", I wonder if they will remember 😂.

Christmas Coke!

• Advertisement

It is such a major f**K up for them like. Not like they can fix it either because they probably don't have any extra dates or times they can put on now. Are anyone doing Santa experiences this year? Visit to Santa at shopping centre used to be good enough, saying that I didn't take wee monkeys to one yet as my brother dressed up as Santa the last few years, simple and no hassle ;)

We’re doing a shopping center santa as well this year. Our elf is too small for the experiences type thing. So the shopping centre job will do the trick this year.

Someone was looking for vintage style coloured fairy lights? Can't remember if it is this thread or different thread.

We did Santa Crew for a couple of years. It was really good, basically you need a minimum of 10 children and they arrive in a really well decorated van to your doorstep. Great for preschool upto senior infants I'd say.

We're going to emerald park and then a local one

Enjoy the last day of Summer time.

The clocks go back.

We've an extra hour in bed tonight.

Then people constantly saying how dark it is for the next few weeks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,007 ✭✭✭antimatterx

• Advertisement

Means feck all when you've kids, day will start at 6:30 now instead of 7:30 and everyone will be as cranky as f*CK by 18:30!

I didn't really have a bed time as a child within reason of course.

During weekends I stayed up watching videos.

I never woke people up.

Even on Christmas morning.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,654 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

Me neither, FP! Even on Christmas morning, the idea of being awake and waking everyone else at 6am would have horrified me! I was always a night owl and enjoyed my lie ins. :)

Yep. Dreading the same our little lad wakes 7.30am religiously so it’ll be 6.30am tomorrow. And we’ll have to drag him out to the normal bedtime to get him back in routine.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭A cup of te

Love getting the extra hour in bed and the dark evenings. Everyone (including myself) looks better under artificial or dim lights ;-) only messing. nah, I just love everything about it though. I remember the geography teacher talking about places in 24 hour darkness and thinking how lovely it sounded. As I have gotten older I just appreciate all of the different times of year for what they are. There's that time when the evenings start to stretch, smell of freshly cut grass, clothes drying easily, actually being able to lie on a sandy beach in ireland in your swimsuit (so hard to imagine in the winter), there's the leaves turning brown and falling, there's cold and frost and darkness and I love it all but definitely cold frosty mornings are the best thing ever. We in Ireland have the best of it all. Nowhere else i want to. Please never scrap the clock change

• Advertisement
Advertisement