Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

General Premier League Thread 2023-24 Mod Note in op 27/6/23 And 21/05/24

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,106 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

There were some murmurings at the time that Milan were forcing him out. That the money was too good to turn down and they needed it etc. He is a Milan fan since a kid so didn't want to leave, but he was pushed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,289 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

will be interesting to see how the tonali thing pans put. apparently he can train with the team and play non competitive games.

dunno why the italian FA would strike such a deal with him. they don't need his cooperation when they have all the evidence, its just weird.

wonder will the english FA step in?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,672 ✭✭✭adaminho

Not every week will have a big match, there's not a lot of travel for fans with most games being close enough for fans to get to easy enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,980 ✭✭✭doc_17

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭Muff_Daddy

Yeah I know all that, usually the big teams don't play one another and its localised fixtures during this period, and that's brilliant for the fans.

I just like the block of fixtures on that day, the rest of the year is great for the live TV, but this day is usually one for being in the boozer and watching all the goals at the same time, while the racing is on as well.

I realise this is old hat but, let me have my moan guys 😏

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭jacool

Agreed! Last thing you need is a TV clash when the King George is on!

Lol, Romero gets brushed in the chest. Holds his face 🤣

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,984 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Was just thinking there about Roy Hodgson still going at 76 years of age. Quite incredible how great his mind is at that age.

It'll be a long time, if ever, before his record as oldest manager will be broken.

I don't think Alex Ferguson's record as the oldest Premier League winning manager will ever be broken.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,539 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

That first half was terrible

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,217 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Very comfortable in the 2nd half though, Palace just not pressing at all for some reason.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,217 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

What is a handball these days? 🤔

VAR is a complete joke. I've seen less obvious handballs changed to no goal. That definitely hit his arm and changed the direction of the ball.

I'm not a Spurs fan, I actually like Roy Hodgson, but I like consistency in rules.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭McBain11

You have to wonder at this stage when will they start firing these refs/VARs such is the level of incompetence. It's a really simple decision by the handball laws as they now stand. I've heard them say the talent isn't there in the referees lower down the ladder in English football - I'd hate to think how poor those guys are if that really is the case.

The fact that it has no effect on the final result shouldn't take away from how awful a decision that is.

The talent isn't there in the refereeing of the Premier League. The standard has dropped remarkably in the last ten years.

That was the correct call for the Palace goal. Remember that VAR is only meant to intervene in the event of a clear and obvious error. From many camera angles at a slowed down rate, it wasn’t obvious that the ball hit his hand. Correct decision .

Looking at the YouTube quick highlights reel, it's as clear as day a handball by the rules (intentional handball has nothing to do with it as Ayew is the scorer). The ball is crossed to Ayew, he attempts to chest it down in front of him, it hits him on the upper chest and then as the ball is on the way down its hits him around the wrist/upper hand area. This makes the ball sit beautifully in front of him for the shot at goal. Without the intervention of his wrist/hand, his chest down was heading a yard or 2 to the left and away from goal.

It's an appalling VAR decision given the cameras and tv shots they have available. Imagine if that game was 1-0 when that went in. There would be riots and rightly so.

You don’t understand the rules for a VAR intervention in this case. You say it’s clear as day, well, if VAR has to look at many replays from multiple angles, then it isn’t a clear and obvious error - and that’s the bar for intervention. Goal stands, correctly.

Hah. The refs don't understand var as well if you believe what you wrote

Go to the PL YouTube highlights of the match. The first or second replay of the goal shows quite clearly what has happened (exactly as I have described it in the above post). The ball hits Ayews chest, and on the way down it then hits his upper hand/wrist. No ifs, buts or maybes. No absolute rubbish about clear and obvious. It hits his hand. This is a fact, it is not my opinion.

Your post is nonsense and it's exactly the kind of guff the PL refs and VAR consistently hide behind after horrendous mistakes. In one way, it's a pity this game wasn't 1-0 when this happened and Spurs dropped points as it would mean this ridiculous decision would get the scrutiny it deserves and the VAR would be stood down for a few games at a minimum (I still hope this does happen).

It was obvious because the ball changed direction from when it hit his chest to when it landed on the ground.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,518 ✭✭✭kowloonkev

Yeah because most 76 year olds are wearing adult diapers, mumbling and drooling in a wheelchair. Was he giving a lecture on astrophysics or what?

Next Man City manager: You lot may all be internationals and have won all the domestic honours there are to win under Pep. But as far as I'm concerned, the first thing you can do for me is to chuck all your medals and all your caps and all your pots and all your pans into the biggest **** dustbin you can find, because you've never won any of them fairly. You've done it all by bloody cheating.

I’m sorry lads, can’t agree with you. I’m not saying it didn’t hit his hand. I’m just saying that the referee didn’t make a clear and obvious error, which is the bar for intervention. And there was a similar one I think with Anthony Gordan a few weeks ago where it hit his hand but it wasn’t deemed deliberate and the goal stood.

It wasn't that obvious tbh. Otherwise it would have been quickly reviewed, rather than the few minutes that it took.

If it takes more than 15/20 seconds with super slow mo cameras it ain't clear and obvious.

You have to laugh when someone says you don't understand how VAR and their clear and obvious criteria works and in the next sentence they reference whether a handball situation was accidental or deliberate (showing they have no understanding at all of current football rules). The ball cannot touch Ayews hand, deliberately or accidentally as he is the goalscorer, it's a black and white rule. No interpretation needed.

So the only question for VAR is once Ayew has scored, did it touch his hand? I'll say it again, look at the YouTube highlights reel. It is clear as day by the second replay that it hits his hand. I genuinely am not sure what people are looking at. Not alone is the decision to award the goal wrong, it's appalling as it's so clearly wrong. This wasn't a subjective call, no need to interpret accidental or deliberate handball, so it shouldn't have taken more than 2 replays and 20 seconds for VAR to rule the goal out.

Hello. If it clearly hit his hand it would have been disallowed. That is how VAR works. Darwin had one last year against Newcastle away. That is the way.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,268 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

West London Derby just got interesting, Brentford take the lead on the hour mark.

It’s 3 points that Brentford badly need too. Brentford have themselves well set up and Chelsea are finding it difficult.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,887 ✭✭✭✭klose

Chelsea are sh!te, need another 200+million worth of forwards by the looks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,393 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

It's funny to see how bad they actually are after all the money they've spent.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,268 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

0-2 breakaway goal.

Delighted. Chelsea need a few more players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,179 ✭✭✭Xander10

Poch isn't weaving any magic.

That's 3 away wins in a row v Chelsea for Brentford, who go above them in the league.

Chelsea go outside the top 10.

Not in a good place after all their money spent.

Poch could well be in a bit of trouble if it continues much longer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭TheRona

Ridiculous that Sanchez was the only Chelsea player that even made an effort to get back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,464 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

They're blessed United are such a circus, keeps the media attention off them.

Things need to change quickly at Chelsea or it could begin to go seriously pear shaped.

It's a good case study of how throwing shed loads of money at a football club doesn't equal automatic success.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,953 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

Chelsea do have a lot of injuries but you'd think the idea behind all that money spent is to have enough talent to cover for those injured.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,106 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Ethan Pinnock (3) has more wins at Stamford Bridge than Enzo Fernandez (2) has.

In the last 7 months, Brentford have more Premier League wins at Stamford Bridge than Chelsea. Just heard that on NBC. Ouch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,179 ✭✭✭Xander10

Thomas Franks is great to listen to in interviews

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,644 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Lampard checking to make sure his phone is fully charged......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,178 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Chelsea gazumping Arsenal to get Mudryk has to be one of the best deals Arsenal have ever had. Thanks to Chelsea they both dodged the Mudryk bullet and settled for Trossard for less money.

• Advertisement

Nice hattrick for Nketiah.

well that's a shocking decision to award a pen, but it highlights the VAR issue with the clear and obvious criteria.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,612 ✭✭✭eigrod

Incompetent officials again. Absolutely ridiculous that they could look at that 20 times and still deem it a penalty. Looking after their mate reffing again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,694 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

I'm not convinced after seeing about 500 replays of the Newcastle penalty that Schar didn't trip himself. One of the softest ones I've seen given.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭irelandrover

Very harsh penalty against wolves.

Enjoyable first half. Not a pen for me.

We are living in a world of make believe now when it comes to VAR and refereeing decisions. No matter what they are seeing right in front of them, and no matter how clear the decision is, they can find a way to interpret it completely differently and give ridiculous decision after ridiculous decision.

thats why the clear and obvious criteria is such a huge flaw, and designed only to protect the officials.

derm on monday will say it was not clear and obvious, sher they had to look at it 20 times. that protects VAR.

about the ref he will say very difficult decision when viewed in real time so he can understand why the on field decision was a pen. ref is protected.

the only criteria should be foul/no foul, pen/no pen, red/no red.

its the single biggest issue with VAR IMO

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,644 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Yes, but only for critical decisions, goal/no goal, red/no red.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,612 ✭✭✭eigrod

Deserved equaliser by Wolves. They deserve to win this and have had some ridiculous decisions go against them again.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement