Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Welcome to the new Boards.ie platform - Version 1.0 :)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

The whole site was down for me a couple of hours ago. Usual error. Now this.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,184 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

I really hope that Vanilla is really, really, really cheap - cos otherwise you're getting badly done.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭py

Read only Friday is a thing. Especially on a bank holiday weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,839 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Even at that, you'd think the disruptions would be costing money... but then there's almost no paid Talk To's here anymore and the ad revenue is probably minimal in an age of adblockers and (in this site's case) very intrusive and disruptive ads as a regular thing.

Looks to be back to "normal" now though?

Two more glitches to report.

The quote button wouldn't work for me just now in a thread, nothing happened when I pressed it.

I just edited a post in a long thread - and that post is now numbered 3, instead of 22,863. (I presume it'll revert to the correct number once I refresh the page, but whatever glitch is causing that to happen has not been fixed)

• Advertisement

And pages are still suddenly scrolling upwards on the mobile site.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,702 ✭✭✭jj880

Some informative posts here about why this is happening. Is there a fix plan in the pipeline?

Would be good to have an idea how long this will continue as is.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,332 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

• Registered Users Posts: 3,557 ✭✭✭Breezy_

With the ads displaying, things are actually worse. Even more problems than you see mentioned here.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,648 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Advertisement

Got a "You are being rate limited" message a few minutes ago for no discernable reason, never saw that before.

Looked just like one of the Cloudflare "bad gateway even though our job is to prevent bad gateway errors" messages. I dunno what Boards are paying them, but anything is too much.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,262 ✭✭✭con747

The owner paid a load of monkeys peanuts to do the job of keeping the site going and then every Thursday/Friday the monkeys play with hammers trying to fix it with the obvious weekly results that continue in a recurring loop.

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭JayRoc

Lads. Just face facts.

The site is fairly fucked and isn't going to get any better. Posting here every day with another example of how fucked it is, isn't changing anything.

We wish they would go back to the old site. That isn't happening.

They wish we would stop using adblockers so they might somehow make the site pay for whatever contract they agreed with Vanilla. That isn't happening either.

Such is life. Get over it

Post edited by JayRoc on

Pardon me for explaining to that poster what is wrong with the site.

As said in my post thats already been explained.

Im just curious how posters here are so sure this is how the site will be forever more. Seems strange it would just be left like a bag of sh!te. Ive no problem facing facts. How do you know these facts?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,839 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Because they have no money and only one part-time staff member on the payroll. Vanilla was chosen because it's cheap and the old adage "you get what you pay for" is very evident.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,332 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

As with any guarantee I presume Vanilla can't charge Boards at the moment as they aren't providing the service that was agreed.

This suits Odhran as at least the site is still stumbling along without costing him anything. At some stage he'll get to offload it as a going concern.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭JayRoc

Because they have said, explicitly and repeatedly, that there is no going back and Vanilla is what we're stuck with. It's a pity, I've been around here for longer than most and the place has had huge personal significance for me in several ways, but it is what it is.

If the site was given over to the community they'd do a much better job.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,459 ✭✭✭Damien360

At the time of the big switch over, there was a host of people willing to test the new site on separate servers before it was implemented site wide. I'm not saying it would have fixed the current issues but it may have saved the huge loss of people caused by the very long time the site was offline. It fell on deaf ears and here we are with a **** show having the same issues over and over again.

Ok we're stuck with what we have for now. No going back. Thats been said on here a few times. Not trying to offend anyone but it seems nobody really knows what the plan is for Boards. Thats fine. Hopefully the site gets taken over by someone who gives a sh!t and improves it.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,894 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

I believe they were posters willing to design a new site, not just test this one.

At this stage the best thing to do is remove all the customisations that attempt to make it look more like old Boards and just use the standard Vanilla platform.

Any change or update on Vanilla's end interferes with the Boards customisations and then that has to be rolled back. It's not an occasional event, it's ongoing. Vanilla simply isn't designed for what Boards wants it to be.

The old site was scrapped because of customisations, but at least there was a developer who could patch things up and steady the ship. Now, poor Mike has to read a load of posts, gather all the information, raise a ticket with Vanilla, they fix one thing, that fix sends something else askew, rinse and repeat ad nauseum.

That's the best summary I've seen so far of where we all are.

I hate change in online platforms more than most - I'm busy trying to learn a new app/website design launched by my bank, and it's a complete PITA - but I would happily welcome boards.ie just ditching all of the cobbling and customisation and we just learn a new forum format altogether.

Maybe @Boards.ie: Mike should conduct a poll on this?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,894 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

Maybe @Boards.ie: Mike should conduct a poll on this?

I'd agree with this, we're well past the "Stupidity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results" stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,459 ✭✭✭Damien360

Can I at least ask that if a newer standard issue Vanilla site is implemented, can it be tested offline by heavy users and mods first before full changeover for at least 4 weeks. And then lots and lots of guides pushed on every forum so there is no moaning.

We’d all be having to fund it then, maybe that wouldn’t be a bad idea 🧐

More glitches today.

A post in a forum I follow has "1 Thanks" showing - but when I click on it, it will neither show me who has already thanked the post, nor let me add my thanks.

🙄

I think it's @Boards.ie: Odhran who needs to address the issues and give some insight as to where things are going in the foreseeable at this stage. Mike is just doing as good as can be done under the circumstances. I think Odhran was active a few days ago so not sure why he won't engage here considering he's the OP and owner.

• Advertisement

You wouldn’t know what business plan or lack thereof is in the offing in the background. Whatever it is or isn’t, it will be kept close to his chest unless or until a quite unexpected announcement.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.

Advertisement