Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Property Market chat II - *read mod note post #1 before posting*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,449 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Good God.

Id be interested to know how you think a prospective renter could differentiate between the two unless they were privy to the LLs accounts, and why you think landlords could not run it as a business, and use rental income to pay off their mortgage.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,600 ✭✭✭Villa05

You knew by the rent charged and word of mouth from other renters, and mostly avoiding lettings from EA. Some LL's were very open that this was there strategy

Falling rates environment meant landlords outgoings were falling also

Having a house with someone else paying the mortgage was the path to wealth in the 90's noughties for many

We just let get out of hand

C’mon, that’s fanciful. Most tenants are completely oblivious to what owners do with the rent collected, most owners do not share their financial affairs with their tenants.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,370 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

But he welcomes debate! Even if these Sherlock deduction can be done it is only on some properties IF others are willing to give the information AND telling the truth. What we have here is the Yogi bear philosophy of being smarter than the average. Boo-Boo was actually the smart one

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭bluedex

Great post.

The curse of mass stupidity causes so many issues

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭JohnnyChimpo

Having rented all through the recession along with my entire generational cohort, the notion of these supposed renters laughing it up at the expense of the poor long-suffering landlords is sheer self-justifying delusion.

The hypocrisy goes both ways. If you weren’t taking advantage of excess supply and low rents during the recession, with no need to consider the plight of the owner, you were doing it wrong, if LLs aren’t taking advantage of short supply and high rents, with no need to consider the plight of the renter, they are doing it wrong. Neither should expect any consideration or pity for the other, and yet your “generational cohort” have the notion they are being wronged because they can’t find a place to rent/buy at a reasonable price, that would be self-pity.

• Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭Ozark707

BOI hiking variable rate by 0.25%. Are they playing catch up or are they ahead of the others?

https://www.rte.ie/news/business/2023/1027/1413304-bank-of-ireland-mortgage-rates/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭Patsy167

A little off topic for an Irish property thread but for anyone that likes a good infographic this is well worth a look:

https://www.visualcapitalist.com/mapped-which-cities-have-bubble-risk-in-their-property-markets/

• Registered Users Posts: 16 blowintothewest

Its laughable honestly, looking back on previous houses and the state of them. I spent 3 years in a grungy apartment in the west that used to be student accommodation. I paid €550 per month they're now €1400 today on daft which is higher than better quality houses and flats in the same town. Best of luck is all I can say to them, clearly someone is a bit over leveraged and feeling the pinch on the other end.

• Advertisement

Well I own a house, bought for a reasonable price back in the milder climate of 2019, so no need for self-pity here. Nevertheless, my generation and the one that has come after mine have been vigorously shafted by policy that has favoured the rentier class for decades. They can all cry now about how "impossible" it is to be a landlord, because their once "sure-thing" investments now carry a little bit of inherent risk and they don't get to just coast on the profit made by immiserating others. Cry me a river.

I will say that I do understand how shite the investment landscape is in Ireland, and why that drives the morally apathetic into landlordism. I have plenty of spare cash (see above: I'm a property owner after all) which could probably earn better returns, but I would never debase myself with rent-seeking. Nor am I especially interested in any of the flimsy justifications for it, your time will come, lads.

No self pity there then.

If you want rents to come down, you need more LLs, if more LLs are to enter the market, you either need to entice them or at a minimum stop them from leaving. Alternatively, leave to the big investors who run it like any business should be run, for profit. No use whinging about apathetic LLs, there is apathy on both sides.

You talk about big investors seeking a profit, but any hint of small LL making a loss and it's all talk of panic and every LL is leaving the market.

Small LL or investor it's still an investment and no one can guarantee a profit in any field especially property. Unfortunately we seem to be stuck in a system where every action taken shifts the goal posts for any first time buyers and any discussion of trying to improve things doesn't work by the time the 100 interest groups get their say.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭The Student

Do you not see the irony in your post?

Renting is a business as you rightly highlight but if you rig the market (this is the key phrase) then the participants will react accordingly. If you want a market then let it be a functioning market. Don't force it to be something it's not.

You know have a situation where the govt wants to legislate what a private individual does with their own private asset (a rental property).

It cannot both be a business and your personal property to do as you please with. Every other sale of goods in the state the state takes an interest to prevent negative actors from acting illegally. Housing and renting is and should be exactly the same. There are people on both sides of the transaction that want to try to gain money illegally in the transaction. That is why the government steps in.

I find it very hard to believe you would ever find a country that would allow a housing market to function without regulation and when you look at the well functioning ones like other European states you see far more regulation than here. So if landlords want to react accordingly that's ok but they won't find a better deal anywhere so to speak. Ultimately it's a business and businesses have profits and losses and if that's not acceptable there's other avenues to invest in.

It can that is exactly what a sole trader is. The extent of involvement by The State is to ensure properties meet health and safety regulations.

Setting a price that the market can bare is not acting illegally it letting the market find its equilibrium of supply and demand.

Economics 101 if supernormal profits are earned new suppliers are attracted to the market thereby increasing supply which has the effect of reducing price. This is how a free market works.

Other more mature rental sectors in other countries have supply that is a closer match to demand. More importantly they have a more balanced relationship with both parties in the lease. Sadly this is not the case in the Irish rental market.

Do you get the sense that loss is the only reason small LLs are leaving? The fact that so many are leaving when rents are so high, even before rates began to rise suggests that is not their only reason for exiting the rental market.

I do agree that no one can guarantee profit, but that in itself is reason alone to explain why making profit while it is there, is essential. No one feels sorry, nor should feel sorry for LLs when rents fell/ will fall, the market is subject to fluctuation. Like it or not, if you don’t have small landlords, those with one or two rental properties, then prices will rise, so loathing them isn’t conducive to your preference for lower rents.

It's more than health and safety requirements it's to enforce continued improvements. Not just in housing but it seems a large proportion of the country would let things go to wreck and ruin to squeeze a small amount out and the government cannot allow that to happen. Fixing prices I disagree with but setting minimum standards I do agree with.

As for your point on attracting new players to reduce the market didn't that happen with REITS but prices still increased?

I'd rather leave it to the State to provide housing, but our current overlords are ideologically opposed to that.

You continue with this derogatory language of "self-pity" and "whinging" when I've made it fairly clear neither is germane to my position, it reflects fairly poorly on you.

And why shouldn't renters be "apathetic" about their rental situation? Ideally, one's housing should not be a major source of stress or concern, and shouldn't require active management. The intermediation of worthless landlords into the provision of this basic service (and human right) is the fundamental cause of all the shite and hassle that attends the rental market. Landlords don't build houses, and they don't introduce any efficiencies into the allocation of housing stock. Disintermediation is required.

Min standards already exist. Attracting new entrants in large numbers ensures no one supplier or small number of suppliers will control the market. But what has happened is small landlords are being driven out of the market because of continued one sided legislation etc.

Everybody wanted professional landlords which is exactly what is happening in the form of the REITs. How is that working out?

• Advertisement

”I’d rather leave it to the State to provide housing”

I stopped reading right there.

I would argue they dont really exist having rented several places that fall far short of them. And even the existing standards are far too low already.

Unfortunately I think in this debate we both have different views of what we want the end result to be and as such won't agree on it. In my own view the one sidedness of the recent legislation you mention is there to protect people with the side effect that some take wild advantage of it, but that doesn't make it wrong. It's unfortunate that some have to leave the market but the alternative is even more terrible. In my job I see the social cost that the lack of housing has caused and it's shocking already.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭deirdremf

The rumour I heard was deffo about a town in the midlands.

That said, the stories below your post about teachers leaving Dublin en masse are really scary.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭deirdremf

His point sounds good to me, as a renter back then. I had a variety, some out and out gougers, others just happy to let the property cover costs or make a small profit. In the long run, neither sort was soft-hearted when time came to throw you out.

Luckily I managed to get out of that particular rat-race in the end. Dublin landlords are seriously the worst, so many of them still act as though it was 1913..

• Registered Users Posts: 7,033 ✭✭✭timmyntc

We have been at full employment for a while, so any small contraction in GDP due to multinationals exporting less is not the end of the world, nor is it going to materially impact house prices.

There is still far too much pent up demand and sfa supply

• Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭Ozark707

Warnings of increases in IR could be coming even without further ECB hikes

Daragh Cassidy, of mortgage-broker and comparison site Bonkers.ie, warned that new fixed mortgage rates and variable rates could increase by up to one percentage point over the coming months.He said: “Even if the ECB doesn’t hike interest rates any further, the main Irish lenders are still highly likely to increase their mortgage rates over the coming months.”

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/how-mortgage-market-is-now-dominated-by-first-time-buyers-but-rate-rises-may-soon-change-that/a1713245339.html

• Registered Users Posts: 7,033 ✭✭✭timmyntc

We are unique in that any mortgages that fall into arrears or non-payment as a result of rate hikes, these cant be repossessed.

So the only option left to the banks is to raise their rates further, so that the "performing" mortgage holders pay even more to cover losses made on those in arrears.

No other country would see this happen

• Registered Users Posts: 3,488 ✭✭✭Timing belt

All though defaults etc do have a part to play the increase in mortgage rates referred to above will be driven by paying depositors a better rate of interest….At the moment mortgage holders are being subsidised by the low deposit interest charged and once this changes you will see this subsidy disappear and true rate passed onto mortgage holders.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭getoutadodge

Latest CSO visualisation shows a staggering 140 k migration. In such a market I could rent out my coal shed to some unfortunate. By way of example a nearby house of 65 m2 has just been rented out to six people. Bunk beds have gone into the downstairs room. The Ponzi scheme rolls on.

https://www.cso.ie/en/releasesandpublications/ep/p-pme/populationandmigrationestimatesapril2023/

Advertisement