Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Autumn 2023 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

I just had a peep at the Sunset times for Central Ireland. Sunset 18:06 we won't have it again for 4 months, on 1st March.

Not meaning to sound depressing, but just out of interest.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭Dazler97

Even bbc weather was saying we could be in for a stormy Thursday especially as the low is over central Ireland but they said don't take it too seriously

Post edited by Dazler97 on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,952 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

Gfs brings it across the far South with torrential rain for South and East. Lots going on but a deep deep low of 955mbs looks very likely...

Chalk up the GEM also for the same low mbs....torrential rain across the South!! Easterly gales, the worst possible scenario for Cork Harbour!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,409 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Yeah that must be it. I am seeing some lovely colour here this week too. The beech trees are fabulous.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭KanyeSouthEast

Miserable evening wet and overcast. Really dislike this time of the year the next 4 months and then our winter kicks off again in March. Would have been nice to have a decent bank holiday weekend.

I've seen 3 rainbows today here in Carrick-on-Shannon, don't think I've seen 3 in a day before

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭pureza

The wet evening has arrived in Arklow and its wet

More counties added to the warning ⚠️ also a REMINDER that clocks go back at 2am

• Registered Users Posts: 14,292 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

It was actually ok in Dublin today and the next two days don't look terrible, compared to some of the nonsense lately. No wind really which is a big factor for me, did a 10km run today and it was v pleasant. Only jogger out though around here I'd say everyone's doing the marathon tomorrow!

RTE weather says we're gonna get lashed out of it soon though, right on time for my walk to the boozer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,653 ✭✭✭giveitholly

Maybe you might have to cancel your trip to the boozer!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,834 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

We escaped the showers for a third day in a row. I hope tonights ECM does not follow the GEM and GFS regarding the midweek storm

• Registered Users Posts: 5,975 ✭✭✭appledrop

It was a beautiful day here in NCD, so mild and sunny until mid afternoon.

Glad we got out and made the most of it as I know the heavy rain is coming!

I can confirm there was no wind as the 7 year old persuaded me to brave the big wheel at funfair and thankfully I survived😁.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭adocholiday

I think we got lucky in South Wicklow too, the area of heavy rain seems to be more westward than forecast based on the radar. We've had some heavy showers and no doubt we'll get some more over the evening but I think the worst of it will be more inland (based on my interpretation of the radar which is probably completely off!)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,975 ✭✭✭appledrop

Autumn is probably my favourite season, the leaves are definitely late falling here in Dublin this year.

My very scientific study is the sycamore tree in our garden, we put the hallowen decorations on it every year, this year it still has all its leaves which has never happened before.

We would go to Newbridge House a lot aswell and still very green, although I have noticed a change in last very days with leaves changing colour.

Still remember the year we flew to Boston for Oct midterm and flying over all the trees in the area, the colours were unbelievable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭adocholiday

You'll be pleased to hear the ECM has taken the system south, still a very deep low pressure, but the track takes the strongest winds away from us

It's deeper than both gfs and gem at same timeframe and a fraction further North than both of them. It is however slightly weaker than its morning run, though with large timeframes difficult to judge

Lashing in Cork this evening, ser corksafetyalerts for flood reports...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,653 ✭✭✭giveitholly

• Registered Users Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭KanyeSouthEast

Desperate night out heavy rain and flash flooding. Miserable for a bank holiday weekend. Hopefully things improve a bit tomorrow.

The moons partial eclipse is so nice

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭DumbBrunette

For once the weather is better in Mayo. Just went for a walk there to see the lunar eclipse - some cirrostratus cloud but it was clearly visible. Lovely mild night too with neighbours down the road setting off fireworks.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,287 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Grand evening in cork city - just coming home after a bit of jazzing in town!

Feck. I forgot all about the eclipse. What a great 2nd half that was in Paris. You'd have to say South Africa were the deserved winners in the end , they had the hardest route to the final and just know how to hang on to a lead and win.

It started raining an hour ago, but not heavy so far.

I just didn't want new Zealand winning because they knocked us out , still dry here but cool enough, rain may start soon enough here

• Registered Users Posts: 3,882 ✭✭✭acequion

Wonderful to be in southern Spain for a week and get a break from god awful Irish weather. Just to be rain free for a few days is a big plus. In Kerry it rains 5/7 days every week and that is being nice.

Not looking forward to November there if what is being predicted here comes to pass.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,930 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Heaviest rain in the West now could see that front heading our way before ME went yellow for Galway

I wonder did Peter O'Mahony send Sam Cane a hard luck text:)

The rain has stopped here now.

So the weather next week looks like being quite different depending what part of the country you live in. The South Coast looks like bearing the brunt yet again. Rain across the South looks like being 3 times the normal amount with widespread flooding likely again especially by Thurs morning. Winds look extreme also Wed night with Easterly storm force winds a possibility. One of the Met Offices will likely name it by tomorrow and for places like Cork a red rainfall warning is possible but more likely orange. A disruptive week!! By next weekend another system moves in but for now this doesn't look quite as bad...

MT, you mention heaviest rain for Connacht through the week yet the charts are showing Wednesday and Saturdays lows to skirt along the South?? Surely the South Coast is the impact zone?

Edit, the 06z runs move system further South so there's a chance even South Coast is a miss

Post edited by JanuarySnowstor on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭pureza

Shower sitting on top of us in Arklow for the last half hour would fill Lough Erin and lots more to come

Flat calm so she's going to take her time

Rain rate at 6 to 12mm/hr

Advertisement