Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Why don't Irish pubs sell snacks?

• 28-10-2023 3:42pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,836 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

By snacks, I mean more than crisps / nuts, but less than full meals.

During my last few trips to the UK, I was in several pubs that sold hot snacks, but where there was no cook/chef present.

Often I am hungry, but I don't want to spend 15 euro on a meal.

First example: the Athletic Arms in Edinburgh

Pies, heated up = 2.00 to 2.50, Toasted sandwich = 2.00, see the menu below (older version)

Another example: the Hope in south London

Pork pies and rolls from the counter.

One-pot meals 6.50-7.50 served until 10pm, see below

In the Southhampton Arms in London, they sell pork pies (cold) and hot roast pork bap, again no chef present.

Is it due to a lack of demand from customers?

Or maybe some health & safety regulations preventing it?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Cetyl Palmitate

Drinking pints and eating should be kept as far apart as possible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,569 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

I'd like having the option.

Disliking pubs that do food is a peculiarity weird Irish notion.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,832 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

A boozer is a boozer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,948 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Probably more hassle then it’s worth. Might not be a need for a chef but you’d need a few more lounge staff to take care of microwaving the food, serving it with cutlery, cleanup etc…..

a lot of effort for maybe not a whole heap of profit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,836 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,830 ✭✭✭PommieBast

Probably the much higher foot-fall. Real caveat is which parts of the UK and Ireland are you comparing?

Edit: Maybe it is because pubs in UK tend to be part of chains whereas in Ireland they are not. @L1011 has encyclopedic knowledge of licencing so can verify/debunk this guess..

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭seablue

Agreed. Grogans in Dublin, near Grafton street, are famous for their ham and cheese toasties.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭D n G

A lot of pubs in Ireland used to do toasted sandwiches, baskets of sausages & chips and chicken & chips ec in the 80s and early 90s. I can't remember why or when that stopped.

The three examples I gave:

(1) Athletic Arms, not part of a chain AFAIK, is in an inner suburb of Edinburgh, not in city centre, it's nears Hearts FC ground

(2) the Hope is in a residential area of south London, maybe 15-20 mins walk from Sutton town centre, in a village called Carshalton

(3) the Southampton Arms is a small pub about 10 mins walk of Kentish Town station

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,731 ✭✭✭✭L1011

The sausage/chicken and chips still requires a kitchen and those places evolved in to doing other food.

Toasties (and maybe soup) as the only food is still fairly common in Dublin pubs.

• Advertisement

• In the states they have hooters, basically a bar to stare at women’s chests.

Why dont we have that here?

oh right it’s not America or UK 😎

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭LowOdour

Bout 25 odd years ago I worked in a small rural pub where we done those awful microwave burgers and quick but very nice toasties.

Biggest issue I remember is when one person ordered, everyone got the smell and wanted one. If you were only staff on, it was a pain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭RoboRat

I would have a guess that is down to the hygiene regs that go with prepping hot food. I know from working on garages that there is a fair bit to it, and it needs to be profitable to make sense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,830 ✭✭✭PommieBast

I'm only taking guesses here. About to head over to Kings Cross so will keep eye out for drinks-only pubs 😁

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 956 ✭✭✭GAAcailin

The English are way more into pies then us paddys.

must say I dislike the smell of food in a pub

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭waterwelly

Plenty of pubs in ireland do food though so you have the option surely?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,680 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Would downvote this post if I could!!

Pint and a good roast is a perfect combo....

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭JVince

Once you do food you have to adhere to food safety regulations and they are a pain if you are only doing a small offering.

The positive side is the regulations are strenuous and very strictly enforced with HSE visits any time of the day and evening, hence you can be fairly confident of good practice in any food serving establishment

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭TinyMuffin

Serving food also attracts families with squealing annoying children.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,726 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Never ever serve food that people pay for from a microwave

Post edited by ted1 on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭Bobson Dugnutt

Piss poor sandwiches in a hugely overrated pub.

Being young is a great advantage, since we see the world from a new perspective and we are not afraid to make radical changes - Greta Thunburg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,876 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

+ 1 on that.

The hipster “aul man pub”.

I’d heard so much talk over the years I specifically went to there for a pint of Arthur and a toastie.

The pint? - yeah, decent.

The toastie?

Nothing special whatsoever.

The toasted sandwiches are literally slice pan, mild Tesco/Dunne’s cheddar, packet ham.

no doubt some hipster will be in to say

“exactly, the mundanity is the point bro. We love paying a tenner for them when you could make for 50cent at home.”

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 946 ✭✭✭bog master

My rural local did soup and toasted sandwiches back in 2001-02. As soup was made in his own home kitchen and sandwiches made behind the bar, Health Board swoops in and says no no. Kitchen at his home would have to be upgraded at a cost of approx 10k and one cannot prepare a toasted sandwich behind the bar, there must be a dedicated kitchen.

It's ridiculous really. Toasted sandwiches were standard in almost every Irish pub back in the day. Enter the HSE to solve a food safety problem that didn't exist.

Ok, so I have now learnt that "Toasties (and maybe soup) as the only food is still fairly common in Dublin pubs.", this is good to know.

I think the Lark Inn on Meath street sell soup and sanwiches?

Also, some answers confirmed a possible reason that I suspected: regulations.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,208 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

On the subject I do wonder how many sales those pringles machines make in pubs if there is a lack of food.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭CGI_Livia_Soprano
    Holding tyrants to the fire

If a pub is prepared to profit from selling food they should also be prepared to follow the health and safety laws of the land.

We don’t live in the era of perpetual stews and fulacht fiadhs anymore; Publicans slinging pub grub need to wash their hands, separate raw food from cooked, keep the plates clean, and so on and so forth.

The three examples I gave:

(1) Athletic Arms in Edinburgh = no chef, the bar staff serve the food. They do have a room behind with a kitchen, I saw a pie being taken out of fridge, put into microwave.

(2) the Hope in Carshalton, south London: I was here only once, but it is big, as was previously owned by a brewery, so I suspect there is a kitchen.

However, outside of 12-3pm, the menu is reduced to one-pot meals, with no chef

(3) the Southampton Arms: small pub, I can't see any space for kitchen, no chef, the hot pork bap is made by bar staff on front of you. The barman took pork pie out of fridge, onto plate with mustard, handed it to me

Conclusion: HSE food regulations about kitchens are something to do with it.

"can't prepare a toasted sandwich behind the bar, there must be a dedicated kitchen"

I have seen this done in UK and France.

So it seems that Ireland is over-zealous with regulations?

• Advertisement

I have been in this bistrot in Paris.

The bar staff cut bread and made sandwiches behind the counter, on front of customers.

Is that not allowed here?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,496 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Lots of pubs do food, almost all of them I'd say.

Why everything is priced at €9 is a mystery though.

The HSE quote EU standard regulations. But go into a bar in Spain and it's interpreted a lot more leniently.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭Sultan of Bling

The pint of Guinness is really good in there imo.

Never understood the fuss on the sandwich, though I prefer one of them to the "beef dripping chips", you see on pub menus nowadays.

The Guinness in there is bang average. It’s also full of failed writers and bang average artists who think they are part of some left wing intellectual collective.

Being young is a great advantage, since we see the world from a new perspective and we are not afraid to make radical changes - Greta Thunburg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,970 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

I wish you could get a bite to eat in a pub for 9 quid these days. Prices are through the absolute roof since the days of the €9 "substantial meal".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭CGI_Livia_Soprano
    Holding tyrants to the fire

Do you not have an off switch? You’re always whinging.

Less of the personals please. You might need a few pints yourself to chill out.

The regulations are not onerous if you are doing a half decent trade in food. Even €1000 a week food sales would be worth it.

But for a sideline, the sales are not there and you'd have a fair level of food waste and add in the regulations and you have a loss making sideline

Good quality sourdough and brown bread, Irish cheeses and charcuterie, chutney, some olives. Piss easy to prepare.

Most Publicans lack imagination and think that some awful covers band and charging 7 euro for a pint of Heineken is enough for their clientele.

I would think €1000 a week is a sideline. You may need to hire extra staff for serving and cleaning, even 3-4 hours a day by a wage cost of say €15 per hour would well eat into that €1000-and NO PUN INTENDED!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,948 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

just speaking from my own locals perspective… there just wouldn’t be room.

Parisian bars are mostly table service. You don’t have people thronging around the bar ordering drinks, you sit for the most part and order.

In the three pubs I mentioed, the same staff served beer as served the food.

No chefs, no waiters.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭enricoh

Used to get sandwiches in a plastic wrapper that they put into toaster, wrapper n all years ago. Hit the spot when a bit of soakage was required.

Some jobsworth from the HSE probably put a stop to it! Was over in Italy recently n one corner of the bar had a bottle of gas n a few hobs knocking out grub. They'd be condemned n closed over here!

Exactly, even doing €1,000 a week on very basic offering of sandwiches/ pies (we don't really eat pies here) and a gross margin of 65%, it would most likely be loss making

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭joebloggs32

Like that I worked in a pub with a proper coffe machine, i used to hate it when someone ordered a cappuccino or Irish coffee as you knew it would create a dominoe effect and you'd be stuck to make a liad of them.

You did I will admit. I am coming from a rural, local pub perspective. Generally one staff on. If anyway busy, one staff is not enough to serve drink and do minimal food preparation and service and clearing of tables. Again I will note there are posters from large urban areas and their pubs (generally quite large) and those of us in rural Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,970 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

The Grogan's toasties are all pre-made and popped into the toaster by the barman/maid once ordered.

They're bog-standard, as others have said but at a fiver each, probably the cheapest sambo in town by a long shot. If you're having a few pints, get a bit peckish but don't fancy a full feed, I can see the appeal.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,919 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

You'd miss the 02:15 toasties in Costello's in Limerick after a night of beer-pong and moshing to indie rock upstairs in a funky cloud of secondhand smoke.

Many publicans only want to serve drink.

€7 pints and cover bands has its share of the market too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭Tork

I'd say the regulations have a lot to do with it. A pub near me used to do a good trade at lunchtime, selling soup and fresh sandwiches etc. They decided to stop doing them after a visit from some sort of inspector. The choice was to either spend thousands upgrading the existing kitchen or stop doing the lunches they had been selling. They started doing a cut down version of lunch for a while (might have just been the soup) but then they stopped.

It's a real shame. It'd be lovely to have the option of going to a tapas bar or similar. I guess bar owners aren't willing to take a chance on it, knowing how much it'll cost to get going. There's no guarantee it's a viable business model either.

• Advertisement
Advertisement