Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Marathon 2023

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,081 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭hawkwing

Goodstuff, i thought this was very good a few years ago, you get to see the people down the field trying all out to go sub3,sub4 etc as they come in to the finish line. It's a great motivation too and there has hardly been a live race on tv in Dublin since the GI Run used to be on. :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭left_hander

Hard to know to be honest but I doubt it myself, it sold out in no time this year. Seems to be more popular than ever. That said, I don't know how many refunds happened subsequently. Probably loads.

In 09 the event didn't sell more than 8-9k entries if I remember correctly? I think the event has gone from strength to strength.

The hotel situation is definitely not helping the event, that is for sure.

I know a slightly older crew than me who were running it a few years ago. They all stopped at the same time. Its a bit of a "sheep" event, once a few people start then others join in.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,612 ✭✭✭Trampas

Im doing Valencia as my goal race. So was only ever a long run with some pace at the end. I’ll just go back to normal sessions this week instead of having an easy week. Nothing to be gained going around easy even if I make it around.

Lack of comments on the bag doesn’t say much

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,177 ✭✭✭ooter

Apologies if this has already been asked but what time are the orange numbers off at tomorrow?

Is it wave 1 at 0845?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,894 ✭✭✭Marty Bird

🌞6.02kWp⚡️3.01kWp South/East⚡️3.01kWp West

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭chabsey

Weather just suddenly looks better, Google saying rain to stop at 9, wind fairly light.

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭degzs

What did they ask for when collecting for someone else ?

Had a friend who had issues this morning requesting a special form ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Reg'stoy

You'll need photo id for yourself and a copy of the runner you're picking up for, seemingly the letter is specific to both of ye, so the names have to match, the marathon office need to know the name of the person picking up the number. Much more convoluted than last year, when I needed just a written note and picture id of the runner. From my understanding, it has to be a fellow runner picking up the number too???

My advice would be to make contact with the office either by phone (I couldn't yesterday) or by email before going to the expo.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,747 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

I was up yesterday to collect my own number, and a number for somebody else.

Three things needed when picking up for someone else:

1. A letter from the organisers which both the runner and the collector have to sign.

2. The ticket with the barcode and runner's details that was issued to all runners during the week (it was issued a couple of times actually!)

3. A copy of the runner's photo ID. Not sure if the collector also needs to show ID, I had mine anyway to collect my own number.

There is an office set up in the Expo hall, just inside the main doors, that had quite a long queue at it, which I assumed was people trying to organise number pick-ups for others who perhaps hadn't got the letter from the organisers?

Finally, for the record, I saw multiples of people walking around with loads of the bags, so it looked to me that one person can collect for more than one runner.

Making life unnecessarily hard for themselves. If I was going to let somebody else run for me, wouldn't I just write their letter and give it to them regardless?

I see no point in this approach and it will do nothing to help reduce people running under another name. Just sort out a proper transfer system up to the week of the event. Job done.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭sk8board

Sure you’d just print and sign the letter yourself, the other person wouldn’t need to do anything - its not exactly secure :)

the goodie bag was as meh as ever - I saw the pic online and thought it was decent, but for sure 3 or 4 things were missing from mine - the lindor chocolate balls was all I wanted and they were missing!!

the protein drink and all the chocolate is great for the drop bag post race.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,668 ✭✭✭Cartman78

Just back from the Expo....it seemed a bit more sparse that last year but a nice buzz around the place.

The registration itself was quick and seamless for me....picked up a few freebies, quick pic with the kids on the podium and out the door.

There's some other cross fit yoke on in the RDS as well so for once runners weren't the craziest looking people wandering around 😂

Yeah that either. You'd need a copy of their ID though I think.

No matter what, its a crazy system. I get that its an amateur volunteer organisation but even so, its still crazy to create an admin and logistical headache for no reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 ExperienceEnriches

Folks, any advice on places to spectate? My partner is staying in Marlin Hotel (just off Aungier Street), I was thinking they could walk to Dolphins Barn from there, but that would mean crossing the marathon route just after the 1 mile mark- do you think the road would be easy to cross once all the runners have set off? Or any areas central enough to this for spectators?

I’ve heard from someone they’ve ran out of bags. What next out of medals and tops if over 5 hours

• Registered Users Posts: 16,046 ✭✭✭✭event

That did happen one year. Out of medals anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭kave2

Folks, where are good spots for spectators? Something that's walkable from start and then make it back to finish and not very far? We don't know Dublin at all so was thinking to set it up on the google maps somehow for wife and son, would be delighted if I get to see them while running. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,423 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

If that's true that is ridiculous, simply because of all their messing about with registrations. Can't have it both ways, if you are being anal about who is signed up and who is collecting, then you must know who is coming and have prepared accordingly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,019 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

I never knew lenister were playing, the place was chaos. Had to abandon the car and run in. I was in and out in 5 minutes in fairness. Would have liked a look around, you would think they would have lenister away that weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭MisterJinx

Doing a start and end would be fairly easy as it's the same place. What about stephens green and then beck up to ballsbridge. Very walkable

If you watched the start wherever you could walk down to Dolphins Barn bridge, its always packed down there but 5 minutes walk to the Crumlin Road or Rialto Road and it'll be quieter and you are more likely to see them.

Back then towards the finishing line. Probably a 45 minute walk though would it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,652 ✭✭✭rovers_runner

Was there around lunchtime. Massive fall away from the likes of ten years ago.

No t-shirts left of branded Ron hill gear, Enervit seller cleaned out by lunchtime. Parking a joke. Luckily Claytons parking management has gone tits up in all their hotels so parked there for free.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Flex2016

How can they run out of official bags. Not like they don’t know the numbers entered. If I was down near the 6 hours will they run out of water bottles at some stations. Is the book gone also? Seems like a shoe string budget set up and not one charging €110 a pp

• Registered Users Posts: 29,151 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

The corner of the SCR in Kilmainham is a good spot for viewing - you've a great view of the runners coming down the hill from the Inchicore Rd/RHK corner and up the hill before turning left down towards St. James' Hospital. I always spend a few hours there cheering everyone one, and it's easy to keep an eye out for friends/family as they pass.

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭solidasarock

Will echo a feel the entire operation does seem increasingly slap dash.

From the race series to the marathon. Havent felt good about the organisation of anything from this crew the last 2 years.

Feel like this will be my last DCM for a while and I will go internationally next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭Glencarraig

Its an amateur organization trying to run a big city marathon and they just don't know how. Example: You have 22,500 entries, you need 22,500 bags for the expo but you run out of bags....how?. I fear for the late finishers tomorrow looking for finisher tee shirts and medals if the bag situation is anything to go by..........and don't get me started on the "transfer" fiasco.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,046 ✭✭✭✭event

Advertisement