Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connacht Team Talk Thread VI - Some like it TOH

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Lebute

Am I correct in thinking Declan Moore’s loan from Ulster is off with short term signing of McElroy ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭macslash

• Registered Users Posts: 3,449 ✭✭✭Wegians89

Still listed on the club website, potentially injured?

Edit: Had checked this over the weekend, but appears to have been removed since

Post edited by Wegians89 on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭SqueakyKneecap

Bundee signs an extension till 2025. Great news.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,086 ✭✭✭testtech05

Great stuff, hopefully he can carry on where he left off at the RWC.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭CuriousCucumber

Well that's just lovely news today.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭FACECUTTR

That has made my Friday. Our best ever player signing on for 2 more years. I'm sure there were ridiculous offers on the table.

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭RonnieL

Fair play to Bundee - I never thought for a moment that he'd go to another province but there was always the possibility he'd fancy a few years in France or somewhere to finish out his career, so I'm delighted to see he's staying put. A Connacht legend, and aging like a fine wine it seems. Some more silverware with Connacht would add some icing to the cake :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,694 ✭✭✭serfboard

And in even better news for him, Bundee has been nominated for World Player of the Year (shortlist of 4).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,030 ✭✭✭OldRio

Good start.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭realhorrorshow

That is the most Connacht try I've ever seen.

Glasgow very cynical I think. Getting away with a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭realhorrorshow

Frustrating half. Been pretty even but our maul d and horrendous errors from Forde and Prendergast have cost us. Our shape is nice and handling excellent but I feel like we are overcommitting to rucks and as a result don't have enough options to stress Glasgow's defence.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭randomname2005

Hopefully the half time chat will sort out the errors

• Registered Users Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭randomname2005

Great start

• Registered Users Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭MayoForSam

Good win, Glasgow are no mugs. Should have gotten the try bonus point and prevented theirs however. Forde and SHL were great.

Bonus point try for Glasgow. Otherwise a good second half.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭SqueakyKneecap

That was a better result than I expected. A crocked JJ was brave but hopefully he didn't aggravate anything as he's a more solid, if less exciting, first choice 10.

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭Tommybojangles

Jesus christ Kilgallen my heart

Good win in the end, and great start to the season

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭ElisaAtWar

Must have a look at this later on TV but some of the decisions by the referee seemed very very strange.

While most of these decisions were against Connacht, I have to say when looking at the stadium TV, Kilgallen's try could very easily have been rescinded.

Certainly looked to me that JJ was taken out in the air?

Post edited by ElisaAtWar on

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭AccidentallyOnside

I couldn't see an issue with kilgallens try at all, wouldn't like to see him dot many more like that but couldn't see any reason to disallow it.

Didn't expect us to win this as Glasgow came with as good a team as they could select, so to come away disappointed to have not got the bonus point and to have let them have one is q good sign.

Not sure I could give Forde the potm after the huge mistake he made for their first try as it was such a momentum swing. That aside he was, once again, excellent.

For me one of the forwards should have got potm. Probably one of SHL, Big Joe Joyce and Prendergast. Prendergast and SHL were both a menace for Glasgow, they were at every breakdown or making tackles, just relentless the two of them. Joyce has been excellent in both games, huge work rate and great physicality.

Feeling more positive about the season with each passing match 😀 Bring on Ulster!!

Thought Glasgow came expecting a 5 pointer. They had, correctly, identified our restarts as an area to be exploited, never seen a team look to take restarts so fast. They were very physical but when we didn't crack under that pressure they didn't look too threatening, so to concede 4 tries is not ideal but something we can work on. Connacht did a great job containing their big runners, Kebble in particular who was facing hard double tackles every time he carried. If we finish ahead of this Glasgow team our season will have gone OK.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Rafabio DaSilva

Great win and start to season. Stood up well to a pack full of World Cup players. Backs seemed in control all game.

Glasgow are a top 4/5 side who are targeting a quick start with thier squad almost at full strength.

Worried about the number of injuries and niggles picked up.

Hopefully we can finish the home block of games with A win against Ulster.

Rugby is a funny game. After watching the world cup final I just saw two teams that were committed completely. So while the scoreline wasnt terribly interesting the game itself was completely absorbing.

And while I know it would be difficult to replicate that at URC level, it is the difference between winning and losing.

This Connacht team is probably the best team I have ever witnessed. I truthfully believe that and God knows I have watched the good and bad days.

But, just watching the world cup final, the desire is what wins games. And I think we have that fire and that ability this year

And after being critical of Ralston last weekend I thought his defensive play was top notch today. Nothing got past him

• Registered Users Posts: 17,339 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Would be a great start to the season if they can beat Ulster next weekend. 3 home games in a row helps no doubt with a trip to South Africa coming up in a few weeks. Last season the first 5 games was a murderer's row.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,449 ✭✭✭Wegians89

Anybody have any idea what happened Farrell?

They were wrapping his wrist at one point but ďont know if that's what brought him off.

Kilgallen's try was fine. No separation.

But don't dot it down like that again.

• Advertisement

Got a chance to look at the JJ challenge in the air on TV and it was a fair challenge. And Tom looked like he might have broken a bone somewhere around the wrist. Have to say again that Tom Farrell and Gary Ringrose are the best outside centres in Irish Rugby. I hope it was just a painful jab for Tom. We need him badly.

Thought the choice of TOH at fullback was a wise choice. He really manages the defence well while Ralston and Kilgallen were really impressive. He even showed some serious pace to close down a certain try from Glasgow.

Overall it was a good performance. Glasgow had many players back from international duty and still we were the better team.

No more Pete Wilkins out chants from me anyway 😀. That was a very good performance

Advertisement