Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2023 RWC Buildup, Squads, Fixtures 'etc'

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭Musicrules

They just beat France at their home World Cup in an epic battle, you're not rotating in a World Cup semi final after that. Do you think Ireland would rest Sexton and others for a World Cup semi final? Nonsense suggestion and they're not rotating like you're suggesting for the World Cup final.

I think both tried to win their group games but the whole coaching setup etc were aiming to peak later in the tournament. It turns out that they were spot on in their preparation. As I said, something we can learn from.

Your last statement is an opinion I'd disagree with but we'll never find out the answer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,030 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

Wet weather was given by some as a reason for SAs struggles against England. I don't see the weather as being a determining factor tonight.

Yes, the high ball, small wingers, not as used to it as New Zealand.

I'm basing my prediction on more scrums and the 7:1 split working towards the end of the game. The scrum won it for SA v England.

Who knows.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,983 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

France beat NZ but lost v SA

Ireland beat SA but lost v NZ

NZ beat Ireland but lost v France

SA beat France but lost v Ireland

Looks like the top 4 can all beat each other on their day, which is how it should be.

Ireland and France got wins which topped a group, NZ and SA got wins when needed to progress. And a bit of fortune there but that's the way it is.

Don't think anyone has a tougher draw than anyone else. NZ or SA will win world cup by playing all the other top 4 teams. Winning twice and losing once. The runner up will have won once and lost twice.

SA had tougher semi by playing poorly against an England team that due to styles, could probably trouble SA but not trouble the other 3 top teams. And had a tougher game v 3rd place team in Scotland rather than Italy but it wasn't that tough and it was so long ago now it's irrelevant really.

My call tonight is NZ by just over 1 score, maybe 8 to 12 points. Score early tries and bring SA out of their comfort zone and lose a key back to injury rendering the 7-1 split a backfire.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,241 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Solid anti-Ireland jibe, but no, NZ did not have an easier QF.

They did have an easier SF, but not by as much as the difference on the scoreboard would make you believe. SA simply made incredibly hard work of their win.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,030 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

You are also saying that NZ has an advantage tonight by being the fresher team. SA could have negated that by making a few changes for the semi. As you said, the quarter was an epic battle and many were no doubt still feeling the effects 6 days later. There is a snowball effect now after the same team started the semi.

There are several positions where there is very little between SAs starter and the backup. I think they would have gotten past England with a couple of changes, possibly more comfortably than they actually did as they would have had fresher lads for that game and guys would have been looking to secure a starting place for the final.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Leslie Purkiss

SA by 10. They are a different animal to NZ. The French game showed it. France and SA (in knock out rugby mode) are well ahead of rest.

NZ were flattered by a bad Irish performance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,617 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

23-21.

SA win and the rugby world spends the next 4 years adopting (copying) the innovations that rassie has brought to this competition.

I think a nervy first 40 with teams level at halftime

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭TheRona

Did you watch last week, or you're basing everything on the quarters?

Do you not think SA were flattered by two soft scores against France because France don't know how to catch a high ball?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,105 ✭✭✭Augme

NZ have also been had an extra days rest thanks to the nature of the draw. Ans they played their last group game on a Thursday. It's not their fault, but world rugby really don't do a very good job to endure a level playing field.

I think once South Africa get 7 days, as opposed to teams who got 6 in previous tournaments they are fairly ok.

It's unusual the the final is on RTE and Virgin.

I don't recall any sports event simultaneously on both stations. TG4 may have overlapped with the odd GAA game back in the 1990s\2000s, and I'm not even sure on that.

A lot at stake in this final, from the title itself to who goes ahead on the roll of honour. They play each other so often there must be serious rivalry between players. Like we saw the rivalry develop with NZ and us and we don't meet as often, or have such a historic rivalry.

As long as the game isn't decided by a card or bad decision and we have champions without question or caveat.

Dont forget its also on ITV so you dont have to listen to any dinosaurs like lenihan or williams and its a high cahill free zone as well.

The more I look at it the more 50/50 it is. These type of finals can take on a life of their own like 1995, 2011 swung every way.

SA were out on their feet post the French game. They can go to the well one final time tonight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,844 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

NZ by +10 for me.

If NZ do win it will be some achievement by joe smith, when he got involved they were in a terrible way.

If SA win its some achievement by rassie, back to back world cups and two world cups in 5 years. Losing marx and mapimpi would destroy most teams.

The saving grace of the semi finals Being terrible is that the final does have the two best teams of the competition contesting it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,896 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

I'm backing the boys in green

“The pack win rugby games, the backs determine by how much” applies tonight.

SA should have too much up front. Big, big man.

• Advertisement

Rob's green handkerchief is real South African green.

I feel an anti climax when big tournaments end. Hard to go back to the URC.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,790 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Weather could ruin this

• Registered Users Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭SaoPaulo41

So who will be watching on rte 2 or Virgin? Virgin for the game ( Can't stand Hugh Cahill commentary,smugness personified) however will watch ht on rte 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭SaoPaulo41

I think SA will be wrecked after last wk ,of course its a final and will give 100% but nz by 15 plus

South Africa were following the forecast. I don't think they would have went 7:1 if a dry night and more ball in back play.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭TheRona

I think SA forward dominance is overstated, and I don't think their two extra forwards coming on will be better than Savea and Barrett who continue on for NZ.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,876 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

All Blacks by 5

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,086 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

Hard to care about this final. Don't care for either team winning tonight and it could be us playing in it. We beat one of the finalists and lost to the other by a slender margin while not playing our best. It's anticlimactic, we possibly played the final in the quarter-final against New Zealand.

• Advertisement

I don't know will they. In many respects they didn't turn up last week, emotionally as much as anything. They may play better tonight. They've had 7 days.

For both teams it's one final push. I think the first 15min will be crucial. If NZ are 14 nil up by 15-20min it would look game over. If SA are 3-3 and get a few big turnovers it's amazing how a team can be reenergised.

Advertisement