Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM 2023 Mentored Novices Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15 AJ_a_y

Just collected my number, very excited now, great buzz around the expo, staying up tonight close to the rds so a handy walk in the morning.

Best of luck to everyone and thanks to @MisterJinx and team for all the help over the last few months, we are nearly there.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,156 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

Forgot to collect a pace band at the expo, so have the next best thing, pace water bottle

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭80s Synth Pop

What's the little "t-shirt" tear out piece on the number for?

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭kave2

I would like to know that too :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,740 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

You use that to claim your long-sleeved race t-shirt once finished tomorrow.

• Advertisement

Thanks all re. my pace question, lots of great advice.

I have set up PacePro for 3:39:30, with even splits and even hills effort.

Collected race pack today, expo was nice.

Resting at the hotel now :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭MisterJinx

Is that set up for a 3.19 Marathon with a 1.39.30 hm split? How easy are the hills? I take about 10/15 secs per km off just to keep the effort right

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭MiniMonstera

Back from expo. Things just got real!!!

Freaking the frick out, I won't lie!

YOU ARE STRONG

YOU ARE STRONG

YOU ARE STRONG

🤣 Sorry, typo, I wish I was that fast. Fixed up now. Set to 3:39:30.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭MiniMonstera

Will try my best!! Thank you 💪🏽👍🏼🙏🏽

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

Just inputting all of you into the tracker. Going to make it up to Dublin after all. Leaving Cork at 4am and will be standing with Lazare at the bottom of Chesterfield Avenue. Hopefully will see most of you!!

Hope you are all resting now. Even if you don’t sleep you’ll be getting rest lying down so don’t panic. You have an extra hour of rest too. Hope you all have an amazing day tomorrow. Dying for the race reports.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Louis 2018

Best of luck to everyone tomorrow, big thanks to the mentors for the guidance and advice over the past few months.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭nullObjects

Very best of luck tomorrow folks

• Registered Users Posts: 7,682 ✭✭✭Trampas

Good luck all. Sleep well and try and not see every hour during the night. Remember at the start if your feel your going slow you’re not and go slower.

Soak it all up and don’t fret about times. That’s what the second marathon is for. I wish I listened to that advice for my first one but we all go chasing times. This time tomorrow you’ll be all marathoners and wearing that medal with pride and a smile from ear to ear knowing the sweat and pain was worth it over the previous months. Enjoy that tear as you cross the line

• Registered Users Posts: 4,417 ✭✭✭Lazare

You're all set for one of the most awesome days of your lives, a day you'll remember forever. Soak it all in and enjoy every minute.

The 27th mile is McGrattons on Baggot St. If you can do drop in and say hello.

I'll post in here letting you know how to find everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭Bungy Girl

Just about to switch off all my devices, but not before a massive thank you to @MisterJinx @Kellygirl and @skyblue46 - legends all three. I feel well-prepared and looking forward to an enjoyable experience tomorrow. Best of luck to all the Novices - we've got this 😁

All the best to you all, get a good nights sleep. Don't be worrying or fretting, you have this 🤜🤜 . I'll see you afterwards to hear all the tales

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Crunchy23

I haven't posted here in a while. I had a busy couple of weeks. I had to travel to the states for work 3 weeks ago, shin splints set in a little and then this Wednesday at 08:20 my daughter was born 3 weeks early. She is premature but thankfully everyone is doing great.

It has been an amazing week, but probably not the best for marathon prep. Her and mammy helped me collect my my number today.

I've stuck to the plan and feel as ready as I can. Let's just see how tomorrow goes. The sleep deprivation may not help, but it is all worth it. Its been the best week of my life and hopefully tomorrow will add to that.

Thank you to all of the mentors and everyone else on this thread that have provided so much great advise and guidance over the past couple of months.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

Oh cool, I'll be around that spot too - will keep an eye out for you. Safe travels!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

Congrats on your daughter! Wow! What a week! Have a great run.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

Well judging by her training this legend is going to have a strong race. Enjoy.

What a week indeed. So happy everyone is doing great and you've a brand new supporter to cheer you on. All the very best for tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭coogy

Best of luck to all the DCM 2023 novices! When all is said and done, and regardless of how your respective races go, you can be sure that some great memories will be made tomorrow.

Well done also to @MisterJinx @skyblue46 and @Kellygirl for expertly steering the ship this year.

Enjoy the experience and the post-race celebrations!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,392 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

Firstly thank you to MisterJinx, SkyBlue46 and Kellygirl for all your hard work and advice over the last number of months. It has been so helpful and reassuring to navigate us novices through the tricky journey of marathon training. Much appreciated.

Well done to all my fellow novices. We’ve all put in some solid weeks and months training. There have been ups and downs but we’ll make it to the start line in the morning. Enjoy.

I’ve been delighted to be a part of the Novices thread having followed the previous few years wondering would it be me some day… I’ve been happy with my training, I don’t think I’ve ever stuck to a training plan so well and have had great support from my family, my training partner, my club, my local runners and fellow Boardsies. I’ll be lining up in wave 4, fingers crossed for 4:30 but sure we’ll see how it goes. I can’t believe it’ll be me tomorrow 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭marathon2022

Best of luck guys, your about to have one of the best days of your life.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

The very best of luck to everyone running today. ENJOY

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭80s Synth Pop

Hope everyone had a good run!

God bless the pacers!

My watch didn't get GPS until around 14k in and was all over the place with times so I just used it for heart rate and stuck to the 3.50 pacers for the whole thing. It turned out to be such a relief not to have to think about pace and just move with them.

Someone said here to add 40 seconds per km to your half marathon pace and you were spot on. That was 3h50m for me and it was perfect. Didn't stop once. Had notions of 3.40 from Cromwellsfort Road and bumped up the pace a bit but that was a nope after just a few mins and fell back with the pack.

We got over a hill near the end and I had to ask if that was heartbreak hill. There was elation all around. We are going to make it.

Some heavy rain then at RTE but nothing like the cold sideways rain a good few of us experienced on one of those 32k training sessions a few weeks ago so it was no bother.

At the rds the pacers said push on if you have anything left. I felt like I had the energy and heart rate was good but the legs at that stage were hilarious. They were moving but in a weird way. I think I was doing John Cleese Monthy Python legs when pushing ahead a bit and the crowd were amazing out in the rain just willing you on screaming at you to keep going. Got 3.48 and am delighted with that :)

See you all next year!

Post edited by 80s Synth Pop on

• Registered Users Posts: 24 MECA

Ohmygod what a day ! Amazing ! Might never walk again though.

Is there anywhere you can call out and praise the Dublin support? It was unreal!! I heard about it but really I didn’t get it until today. They are unbelievable… in the p*ssing rain and all… mighty. Would love to give a shout out for advertising then cos it’s so deserved. ❤️

Congratulations to everyone!!! What a day!!

thanks a million to our mentors !! Ye too are unbelievable ❤️❤️❤️

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

You have to experience it to believe it 😀 Sounds like you had a fantastic run, congrats!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭blondie83

The support was just incredible, and in such bad weather like - the last 400 metres were genuinely spine-tingling, I felt like I was a professional in a race or something!

Advertisement