Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk Thread (Love you Furlong time)

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 41,796 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

That's a fantastic try

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 8,140 ✭✭✭fitz

For serious. Couple of outrageous kicks. Particularly on the second one, he looked like he had so much time, so unhurried about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,708 ✭✭✭ScissorPaperRock

Some lovely touches from Prendergast. His skills off the boot are something else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,183 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

TOB has had another great game. Glad he got his try. Started the season well. He'll be challenging JOB for the 14 jersey soon.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,210 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

To be fair, he did have more time than he would have against a better defence.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,712 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Never doubt the Leinster b team betting handicap

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 8,140 ✭✭✭fitz

Fair, but he executed deceptively quickly, I thought. Outrageous accuracy with the kick. Really has huge potential.

Penny motm for me. Another strong performance from Jack Boyle and TOB as well. Ross Molony deserves a mention too. The Leinster lineout has been excellent.

Sam Prendergast has looked excellent off the bench in successive games. Created a try against Glasgow and another tonight. We've Edinburgh at home next week and Dragons away the week after. I'd start him in one of those games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,712 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Rob Russell is like a rugby Chicarito, never that impressed but he has some knack for scoring...

Gobshite

• Advertisement

Good performance and also one we can definitely improve too. We left a few scores out there especially in the first half.

As for all my sharks uplift, I wasn't expecting the to be so brain dead.

Great performance from our seconds, sharks are a rabble

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭RichieRich_89

What happened to the South African mantra 'How can you be a Springbok if you can't catch and pass?'. Knock ons all over the place from the Sharks. They're capable of good play, but are way too loose.

Much improved from Leinster. I like Frawley at fullback. I think it might be his best position.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭ulsteru20s

Sharks were bad. Thought the ref largely just decided not to give scrum pens which hurt them. They gave away so many dumb breakdown penalties that were completely unnecessary. Kicking out of hand was bad too.

Leinster were pretty unspectacular. Better at end but took advantage of mistakes in the ruthless way they usually do.

TOB looks great. He must be pushing for first team. Prendergast looked good when he came on, although i’ll apply the 9/10 rule to him. You have to judge scrum halves (especially) and 10s on games they start. Its much easier to be an impact sub.

Harry Byrne looks low in confidence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,461 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

Podge... That's because he slowed time down.

Such is his brilliance...

/hype

😂

Well lads.

Double world cup winning coach incoming.

I am less enthused about this then I potentially should be given how they won both.

They won though. That's something we haven't managed in our last three finals. Their defence for the second half was incredible.

Nienaber is also shrewd enough to adapt his tactics to fit the players he has. Leinster's strength is the ability of every player to function as a legitimate passing option. It keeps the opposition defence guessing. I'm sure we'll still see that, but with more emphasis on faster up defence and strategic kicking.

Our defence is generally excellent anyway.

We lost our last 2 European finals largely because of uncharacteristically terrible line clearances. Lowe probably shouldn't have been playing in either final, and that is not on him.

We shall see, but I'm not that enthusiastic yet.

I should clarify, I'm not a style purist. I didn't care about Ireland's style in 2014 and 2015 when we were winning 6N championships and no one should care about the style with which someone wins their trophies.

I just am unsure he's the cog to move us to the level we win Europe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Juventu4

Good performance, scrum very solid and defense was superb. Boyle looks the business, Ngatai has gotten the rust off, Osbourne shored up the defense in the 13 channel and the kicking was excellent. Won a few turnovers today hopefully the coaches get the picture and get the players competing on the deck, it's one my pet peeves with Leinsters defense when playing big teams we never look to turn it over even when it's on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,605 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Very happy with the win. Can't find the full match anywhere. Rob Russell is really chucking his paw up!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭RichieRich_89

Does this work for you in the US? Don't bother with the 'click on 'start'' and 'activate your account' stuff. Just go to the video below those instructions. It's working for me.

Wouldn't mind seeing Leinster taking on a few shots at goal from 45m+ just to practice for it in the big games. There was one from about 51m they went up the line with before Harry Byrne took 3 from closer in to make it 15-6. Long range kicks have been pretty important in some of these World Cup matches. The way things were going for them it would have been difficult for SA to get the lead back if Barrett had managed to get that one from about 54m.

Post edited by RichieRich_89 on

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,484 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

I turned it off after Sharks try with 30s left. How did we manage to score another one?

Got to say, the Sharks were pretty shocking with some of their play. Conditions were wet and that does affect things but, there's hands of stone plying their trade with the Sharks. Both 2nd rows were fairly poor with their handling skills. Bosch kicking a penalty dead is criminal. Plumtree has a job on his hands. There's talent in that squad and the disjointed play, fumbles etc must drive the coaches nuts.

Leinster, a lot better than last week. Barron was really impressive. Boyle also. I hope Boyle gets to start next week against Edinburgh. The more he plays, the better he's going to adapt.

I thought Frawley was outstanding. Inside center to me is his best position. Russell is a find and Foley did well. Good response from last week.

Big Mike back just in time! McGuire solid and probably ahead of Clarkson at least for now.

Should be getting more lads back. Henshaw must be close as well as Healy.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,484 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

What's Milne's injury? He can't seem to keep fit.

Leinsters scrum was very solid. Much improved performance compared to the Glasgow pasting.

Was also very impressed with Jamie Osborne. It was his first actual match in 8 months and he played well. Looked threatening in attack, made a lovely 50/22 and was our primary pressure reliever in defence. He has a massive boot and kicked from 22 to 22 on multiple occasions.

I liked how Leinster flipped the attack on multiple occasions. Some nice options to keep the opposition off kilter. Deegan little grabber was really nice. Keeping the pressure on the Sharks all during the match.

I think Harry played well, as did wonderSam.

• Advertisement

For the last 5 years Leinster have played the most attractive rugby in Europe. I've loved watching the team develop their passing system and set piece attacks. Scored some of the best trys I've ever seen.

The margins were so thin in both La Rochelle matches that with slightly better execution you're looking at Leinster being six time champions. The scoreboard wasn't as close against Saracens in 2019, but we could easily have won that as well. But ultimately it has come short in three European finals so I think a change is required. Cullen specifically head hunted Nienaber so I think he recognises that.

South Africa's style isn't one I like. They don't get the most from their outside backs and they can be incredibly cynical in their play. Leinster don't have the forwards to play the Springbok way either, but if we can bring an element of that hard edge and win at all costs mentality we'll be in a better position going forward.

Post edited by Clegg on

Advertisement