Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

General Premier League Thread 2023-24 Mod Note in op 27/6/23 And 21/05/24

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,953 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

Pedro Neto pulls up with what looked like a hamstring gone, brilliant player but he really struggles with injuries.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,518 ✭✭✭kowloonkev

Chelsea are a medium sized club. The media don't care about them much because they don't sell papers or get clicks. It's nothing to do with United.

Next Man City manager: You lot may all be internationals and have won all the domestic honours there are to win under Pep. But as far as I'm concerned, the first thing you can do for me is to chuck all your medals and all your caps and all your pots and all your pans into the biggest **** dustbin you can find, because you've never won any of them fairly. You've done it all by bloody cheating.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,984 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

The other thing that amazes me about VAR is the amount of grainy images we get when the decision is controversial.

You see replays of a good goal on tv and they are all very sharp but somehow VAR don't have these.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,464 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

They've won two champions leagues in the last 11 years, they're a big club.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭giveitholly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,980 ✭✭✭doc_17

Great day of football ahead. Neither of the Manchester clubs are pulling up trees but I hope it’s not another snooze fest like Arsenal City was.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,393 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,518 ✭✭✭kowloonkev

Of course it's all relative but Chelsea probably the third biggest club in London, arguably 5th biggest in England at a push. Fairly small, and fleeting international fanbase...a lot of whom probably support City these days. Historically they're not at the level of the big clubs in Europe by any metric really.

Next Man City manager: You lot may all be internationals and have won all the domestic honours there are to win under Pep. But as far as I'm concerned, the first thing you can do for me is to chuck all your medals and all your caps and all your pots and all your pans into the biggest **** dustbin you can find, because you've never won any of them fairly. You've done it all by bloody cheating.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭tinpib

Jordan Pickford getting involved with something that has nothing to do with him. Picks up a yellow. He is so easy to hate, but entertaining because of that. He is a great premier league heel.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,984 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

So do we have to start considering Villa as serious contenders for a top four spot?

Great manager and it looks likey they now have good depth too. Carlos, Lenglet, Traore, Best, Tielemans and Dendoncker all on the bench today.

Moreno, Buendia, Ramsey and Mings all out injured. I know Mings is out indefinitely and I'm not sure about the others but when you add them to that squad it's quite serious looking.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,866 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Beundia's injury is another long term one like Mings. Guessing Best = Bailey

I don't think most Villa fans are going to get ahead of ourselves but there is the possibility of a top 5 getting CL football this year and it isn't unthinkable for Villa to be flighting it out with the likes of Newcastle, Manu utd & Brighton for that spot.

Hopefully going deep in Europe will mean a lot of fixtures and we are very dependent on Watkins not getting injured even though the goals are coming from all over atm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,729 ✭✭✭✭McDermotX

Wow

Every weekend you see pulls like that into the box. Never given.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,887 ✭✭✭✭klose

Why are the VAR screens always buried in with the fans? Surely they should be somewhere neutral when the ref is making his decision.

God but that’s a soft penalty.

Same happens to Mo Salah everywhere on the pitch........he gets nothing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,185 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

The VAR replays were really annoying on the penalty incident.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,295 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Never a penalty when you see it happen in every game and VAR never looks and bet it will not look for the rest of the season

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,185 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

City lead, Haaland with the penalty. A pity Copenhagen didn't have a decent penalty taker the other night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,363 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

It's a penalty, that's fine.

But I look forward to a few penalties for a few teams in the next while.

As if we'll see that.

Inconsistent until the end.

• Advertisement

I’m nearly 100% certain there will be another penalty in this game to Man U.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 52,235 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Every weekend? Every single corner or free it's going on. If we're going to be consistent about it then we're going to see a lot of penalties given

Have seen players literally bearhugging Arsenal players from corners and it gets ignored.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,316 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Poor from the striker there. Need to take those early

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭505_

He definitely had a pull back but let go quickly enough. Strange I thought for it to be given. If that’s the level required there would be multiple penalties in every game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,197 ✭✭✭McFly85

Wouldnt surprise me to see a similar incident in this game waved away. It’s incredibly soft because these are pretty much never given.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,748 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Does any other team get that penalty?

2mins from now, VAR will step in to take a look at Dalot just there.

Michael Oliver the VAR actually, same fella who somehow missed a blatant second yellow for Kovacic in the Arsenal game

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,694 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

Some very soft fouls being given in this game, all in City's favour. Very strange officiating. Grealish seems to get a free kick everytime the ball comes within 5 feet of him.

• Advertisement

"Good refereeing"

Fernandes deliberately jumps into the player with no intention to play the ball. Even if it is Grealish. No card.

Good God....the standard of refereeing, and punditry, is at an all time low.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,694 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

It's a contact sport. There was no danger or damage done. Not every coming together warrants a card.

Taking out an opposing player intentionally ? It's enough to constitute unsportsmanlike behaviour at the very least, even if you consider it insufficient contact because it didn't fcuk up the player.

I'd be one to maintain that not every foul should be a card, but that one qualifies for me.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,268 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Fairly one sided half. City are by far the better team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,887 ✭✭✭✭klose

Two great saves at the end. By the rules the penalty was correct, however they're hardly ever given for that so again another reffing controversy arises.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,178 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

VAR is pretty amazing.

Its pretty much a constant stream of "hold my beer" stupidity with each ref seemingly trying to outdo the other to see who makes the most ridiculous call each week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭jacool

Its not a controversy. They just need to have the balls to give each and every one, and then the players will cop on.

At the moment, every free and corner is just a wrestling fest.

Outside of that, City are toying with them, and Pep will be annoyed that its only one.

Was it two or three years ago that the started to clamp down on pulling in the box and there was something like 20 penalties given in the first three game weeks for pulling and then they just stopped blowing for them.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,268 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Mount on to save the day for United.

Not taking the chance on a possible red maybe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,489 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Could be an embarrassing result for United here, flood gates could open now.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭slumdogemillionaire

what a move. United are muck though

Dreadful from ManU

That was to easy, Bruno like a statue and McTominay not quick enough for the overlap and Haaland wasn't going to miss again.

So much room on Uniteds left.

This could easily get embarrassing, United are poor and City smell blood.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭jacool

That is one of the greatest goals you will ever see. Three ridiculous flicks in their own half to start the move.

• Advertisement

City aren't even playing that well.

It's almost like taking off your only holding midfielder is a bad idea. Can't understand why ETH hasn't taken off Eriksen if he wants Mount in rather than Amrabat

Cmon VAR

Do your thing

What's the difference?

Honestly, City look great and all, but Utd are...

1. Stepping off them

2. Leaving acres in the middle to play through.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,644 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Looking at that United Xi.... There are none of them would walk onto any of the top 6 or 7 teams in the EPL. In some ways, ETH is doing well to get any tune out of them.

These guys are West Ham, Palace or Fulham class players, only on 3 or 4 times the wages. It's hilarious I think, but it's a mess, and it's a reflection of where they are as a club.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement