Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hamas strike on Israel - Threadbans in op - mod warning in OP updated 19/10/23

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,754 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Well thanks for telling us that you support all that is happening. Your post says everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭howiya

"In Israel all people including of any religious, political and sexual orientation are safe and free"

What about the labourers from Gaza who just happened to be in Israel working at the time of the attack? Are they free?

The way in which they are being detained doesn't sound like the behaviour of a liberal democracy.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,324 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

This is just callous and seeks to minimise the slaughter that is happening. And it wasn't a historical statement. What Israel are doing to Gaza is no better than what Russia is/was doing in Ukraine.

We've surpassed Srebenica levels of killing now

Have you been away? I was actually on a protest in Dublin against the Russian invasion. AND there have been protests against all the above too.

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭DangerMouse27

The silence of the world, about the settlers, West Bank atrocities, shoot to maim, can and should never be forgotten. Ever. That's on us. There should be ramifications for that kind of behaviour towards human beings by a so called friendly state.

But the fault of this, is a little more nuanced than, we've been letting Israel away with it. Where would Israel be without the sophisticated Iron Dome? Where would Iran be, without the constant US military presence in the area? It's suited a lot of nations to have the US in that situation. Saudi for one. Egypt. Probably Syria.

The migrant crisis in Europe would pale in comparison to the exodus we would see from the Mid East towards Europe if things continue to destabilise. So, have the nations of the West, been allowing Israel away with one, because of the Holocaust, then no. I'd argue it wasn't.

And as for Von Der Leyen. She's just a moron. You have no evidence that she has anything resembling German guilt and that's drawing her conclusions. She's a moron, bathed in so called Euro diplomacy, that has her clouded in thinking first and foremost about European Jews. Nothing to do with her guilt.

Bare in mind. We might not have seen a lot of it in Ireland, but in Europe, and yes I include UK in this, there is a mahoosive rise in anti Semitic behaviour. And not just behaviour, but actions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,447 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Scutter. The closest to what Russia is doing in Ukraine in this conflict is the behaviour of Hamas on 7 October and since. Remember Bucha? That's the kind of thing Hamas did.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,324 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

I do, and I've repeatedly said I have no support for what Hamas have done, but Israel is killing civilians, relentlessly and indiscriminately.

They don't get to say well that's a legitimate target sorry for the thousands dead and treat it as collateral damage. They're playing the well worn card played by Russia hitting civilian infrastructure and saying Nazi/Hamas whatever...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,524 ✭✭✭brickster69

Ok, allow me.

EU announced 10 - 50 killed

US announced 100 - 300 killed

Hospital authorities have announced 471 killed.

So EU and US estimate 10 - 300 and the hospital give an exact figure of 471. How is it possible for the hospital to given an exact number and why are the other two miles apart?

Now another very puzzling thing, say we take 250 died and 400 injured as a rough guess. Hamas have reportedly fired thousands missiles since they started over the last few years and one that lands by mistake kills 3 times more than all the Israeli's put together who have reportedly died from those fired.

Then the misfired missile somehow lands on the very same hospital that was warned to evacuate 3 times in the days leading up to it happening.

Something just does not add up does it ?

“The earth is littered with the ruins of empires that believed they were eternal.”

- Camille Paglia

• Registered Users Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭McGiver

Abysmally incorrect reading of historical events. Conflating the causation and the effect. Also factually incorrect.

EU politicians are pro-Israel because it's a liberal democracy and a prosperous 1st world country (see GDP per capita, HDI etc), an island of freedom & prosperity in a sea of despotism, intolerance, violence, chaos and instability (Syria, Lebanon, Iraq, Egypt, ISIS to name a few). Secondly, Israel is culturally much closer to Europe than Arabic countries. And finally, it's because despite several violations it's Israel and not Palestinians/Arabs who obliged to the original 1948 UN plan. The Arabs/Palestinians rejected it in 1948 and then once again few more times. It was Israel who made peace with Egypt, Jordan, who agreed to the Oslo accords etc. If it was left to the Arabs with no international mediation there would be no progress, no peace treaties, no accords and no Israel.

Long story short - despite violations Israel is in the right and making effort to resolve the issue long term as opposed to the Palestinians/Arabs. They never wanted a solution and want Israel simply go disappear (even today). They didn't get very far with that attitude,did they?

You don't have to be an Einstein to understand it. The Holocaust it's only a secondary element to this.

• Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭Burty330

Show me protests 100k strong in all the major capital cities against Russia and Saudi. You won't be able to.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Snooker Loopy

This opinions stated in this article are widespread in Israel and amount to genocidal frenzy.

These are its recommnedations:

---

In order for this to happen, Israel needs to demand four key points with greater determination than ever before:

1. The entire population of Gaza will either move to Egypt or move to the Gulf. From our perspective, every building in Gaza known to have Hamas headquarters underneath, including schools and hospitals, is considered a military target.
    2. Every vehicle in Gaza is considered a military vehicle transporting combatants. Therefore, there is no vehicular traffic, and it does not matter whether it is transporting water or other critical supplies.
    3. The UN secretary-general has initiated humanitarian aid to Gaza. The Israeli condition for any aid should be a visit by the Red Cross to Israeli hostages and especially the civilians among them. Until this happens, no aid of any kind will be permitted to enter into Gaza.
    4. Intermediators with both diplomatic and military experience will be required to explain in detail these concepts to the rest of the world. It will not be possible to remove Hamas without exerting pressure and if the Americans do not receive a clear and detailed explanation from Israeli officials and understand that Israel has no choice. It is comparable to the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor, which led to the launch of an atomic bomb in Japan.

As a result, Gaza will become a place where no human being can exist, and I say this as a means rather than an end. I say this because there is no other option for ensuring the security of the State of Israel. We are fighting an existential war.

I don't think he will, he's politically dead and there's no support for this I Israel outside of the radical camp (10%). But I'm saying that Fatah secretly wish so.

I can't see how Fatah/WB and Gaza can work under one Palestinian banner ever again. These events totally derailed any sort of peaceful resolution for the WB as well.

As for Gaza, it cannot be solved.

Nor would I even try. I don't control who attends or doesn't attend. Perhaps. just perhaps the extent and sheer brutality of what is happening and the faces of the terrified children and the little bodies lying on the streets or being carried at speed by grief stricken parents to over-crowded and resourceless hospitals that look like slaughter houses has had more impact on the marchers.

Absolute bullshit. The consequences for politicians of speaking out against Israeli atrocities in the west are the end of your career, being branded as anti-Semitic, as basically a Holocaust denier. The Israel lobby is fearsome and politicians in the west are petrified of falling foul of it.

Look at Israel's reaction to the tepid attempt to add some context by the UN Secretary General Antonio Guterres. Israel laughably accused him of "blood libel" and demand his resignation. This is an insane reaction.

Israel uses the Holocaust as the ultimate moral blackmail to ensure the silence, complicity and active support of the west for its atrocities. It is grotesque.

What you are saying is "Israelis are like us - therefore we should support Israel in whatever it does." This is the same narrative that Wix used - the narrative that we are civilised, they are animals - and it's racist as hell.

But this. But that. If you have to say but, you've no argument. Whataboutism fest.

In fact, it's Hamas, Hesbollah and Assad who are allies of Russia and use its ruthless tactics and propaganda. Not Israel. Your analogy with Russia is a bad joke and completely wrong. There's nothing in common between Israel and Russia.

There are no Nazis in Ukraine. Ukraine didn't attack Russia militarily. Russia annexed large parts of Ukraine, another sovereign state, and wages war on it for 2 years.

Hamas are actual Nazis who wish Israel to disappear from the map, all Jews to die and Israel cease to exist. They murdered thousands civilians, kidnapped hundreds, invaded another sovereign state militarily. Israel is not invading a sovereign state (as there's no state), is not annexing any territory. Israel is responding to attack on its sovereign territory.

What the hell are you comparing here?

What are Israel supposed to do? Thank Hamas? Ask them to come for a coffee and falafel and negotiate? Negotiate what?

Terrorists only understand force nothing else. Hamas will not ever negotiate with Israel, they don't don't accept Israel as a sovereign state, don't want it to exist at all, they don't want peace, their existence is based in endless war with Israel. They've overplayed their hand and the destruction of Gaza is of their making.

Just for perspective, can you thus far list the politicians etc who have had their careers ended?

Your the only one banging on about the Holocaust in this context. Not everyone is Amy Schumer.

The OP is merely pointing out the accurate and truism that Israel is very aligned to Europe.

“The earth is littered with the ruins of empires that believed they were eternal.”

- Camille Paglia

The question is - what politicians in real positions of power in the west have ever genuinely spoken out in a meaningful way against Israel's atrocities and occupation?

Riddle me this. Viktor Orban is a genuine anti-Semite. But he's pro-Israel. Israel loves him. Trump is a genuine anti-Semite. But he's fanatically pro-Israel. Israel loves him.

Israel doesn't really care about anti-Semitism. It only cares about interests and people aligning with their interests.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭tesla_newbie

I’m surprised Irish people aren’t a little bit concerned about how our overwhelming support for the Palestinians is being perceived in America?

israeli influence in Washington dwarfs that of the Irish lobby, American corporations are near unconditionally aligned with Israel, we could see action against us in due course

Im referring to withdrawal of investment etc , we are extremely dependent on the mood of big companies and those companies are intertwined with Wall Street mood

• Advertisement

I don't support that. I never said that. I categorically reject attacking civilians. The small issue is that it's simply unavoidable in Gaza. And Hamas is consciously using this as a tactic. That's the reality. I believe all countries pro-Israel including are calling for avoiding civilian deaths. All what we can do.

Israel has to respond and secure their sovereign territory so that its citizens can live in peace free of Hamas thugs killing them. That's all what it is. Entirely Hamas' fault. In fact, this what they wanted and expected. And Hesbollah & Iran are waiting and evaluating if they should attack Israel from the North. In fact, if Israel doesn't respond strongly in Gaza, Hesbollah might attack Israel. That's the reality Israel is operating in. Surrounded by multiple hostile countries and elements. It has to fight literally for survival. Real politik. Beggars aren't choosers. Unlike the 1st world human rights armchair freedom fighters.

"Destruction of Palestine" - good joke given the history of last 70 years. Like annexation of Gaza by Egypt or the WB by Jordan? If it was for the Arabs there would be no peace treaties, no accords, no PNA, no Palestinian autonomy, and no Palestine!

Post edited by McGiver on

I'd look more to the comments on countries in the region and they have been very vocal. King of Jordan in particular.

Michael D.

But I get where you are coming from.

All the west has uttered are the blandest of bland platitudes. In reality it has offered total support for Israel butchering civilians.

Hamas is a problem of Israel's own making. It fostered and encouraged and helped fund Hamas at every opportunity.

Israel has destroyed and continues to destroy Palestine. Look at what's happening in the West Bank under the cover of the attack on Gaza. Palestinian villagers are being ethnically cleansed off their land.

Speaking out for what is right is much more important than business.

Refusal to speak out for what is right because of monetary interests is a total failure of humanity and a total failure of morals.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,133 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

On the basis of assurances given by the posters, makodaly and SafeSurfer threadbans lifted

Had to go and have a gawk at what Orban was up to and it's reasonably clear that he has no issue with that Israel does to Palestinians. Who knows why! He's not the most logical in how he goes about things.

I'd imagine that he hates Jews, Arabs, everyone. He just hates Jews, less. Still hates em.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,084 ✭✭✭Sudden Valley

It is difficult to destroy a terrorist group purely by force if you dont tackle the underlying reason why the terrorist group was created. Israel can kill the hamas leadership which i have no problem with but killing women and children is just going to recruit for the next terrorist group in gaza.

You are really showing your bias in the conflict if you can condemn hamas killing civilians but don't condemn Israel doing the same.

The multi polar world commenced a while ago and one side is greatly outnumbered and knows it. Both sides can destroy each other with weapons but only one side can destroy the other without firing a single shot. This has nothing to do with Gaza, Israel is just another proxy aimed at kicking everything off.

Unfortunately it looks like one side think they can actually win when they can't ..... again. Europe can solve this easily but unfortunately the people in charge are too far down the rabbit hole now. All they have to do is call for a ceasefire and the Anglo Saxons are totally isolated.

- Camille Paglia

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭tesla_newbie

I don’t disagree at all, I’m just raising the broader question

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭Hey boy

From what I have read and seen of it many many are anti-Israel and pro Hamas and none are anti Hamas. I wasn’t there so perhaps there were ‘Hamas Out’ and/or ‘Release Hostages Now’ posters and speakers but I doubt it.

The pretend babies with blood all over them were a particularly strange choice… Wonder what those individuals meant by that.

No doubt the remainder were anti-war but that is one of the issues with such a crowd - who is leading it and who joins it.

Advertisement