Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My autonomous lawn mower thread/blog

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭bamayang

This is my first winter with a robot. Do people tend to take in the charging station and power supply? Or just take the robot in for winter.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭jprboy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭maynooth_rules

When do people tend to bring in their mowers? Are they in already for some or you?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,932 ✭✭✭✭listermint

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭LubaDriver

One full season with Luba now over. Have to say that once the bugs were worked out over the Summer with the regular updates its turned int a very competent robot mower - absolutely meeting expectations.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭padair

Are you based in the US?, did you get beta Kickstarter

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭LubaDriver

I am in Ireland and I was a Kickstarter backer. Lyster lawnmowers in Athlone are the local dealers but I've had no dealings with them - so I can't say what the service is like.

It's a very solid machine with a lot of heft to it. It won't survive a drop though. The manufacturer has struggled to keep up with demand, I think they are starting to get on top of it now though. The quiet season should help.

I think it's a great option for the typical big country garden in Ireland. It's overkill and wouldn't work in the typical urban/estate postage stamp garden however.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭murfler

I have a segway since April, already a wheel motor replaced from dog hair in Sept. I had a Huszy for 4 seasons and had no problem with dog hair. Is this a real problem with all brands?

I'm also finding the segway is literally ploughing up my lawn with the wet weather recently which my huszy never did. I realise we have had extraordinary amount of rain the last month but I'm worried this will be a problem with segway as they follow patterns so more traffic on certain parts of lawn. Also wheels much wider than Huszy and a heavier machine, torque on wheels seems stronger also . Anyone else finding machines doing extra ploughing in this wet weather?

Your lawn has poor drainage then and not enough grass coverage.

This should have improved with your use of these mowers overtime. I.e grass everywhere with little gaps mulching helps this along.

You could probably do with using sand in spots to help improve drainage. Drill holes pour sand down them in various spots across the lawn.

Dryer grown that's grass covers has excellent grip , boggy ground with mix of patch or longer than normal grass will not. Ideal slipping conditions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭denismc

I just curious how dog hair is killing your mowers? What breed of dog produces so much hair?

• Advertisement

I have 2 long haired GSDs

Husqvarna 430x had no problem with my lawn condition

• Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭padair

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭septicsac

One long haired German/Belgium Shepherd cross, hair in wheel motors also a problem here too. I stripped motors down about 2 weeks ago, one full of hair, grease solid with it, other fine, but has been clogged before. Know I will need new motors soon, was flagged during service last yr, but keeping them going so far. Good news is the newer motors are supposed to keep most of the hair out bad news is they are 200E +

I don't understand?

I don't understand?

Do you have a Huszy? I had a Huszy for 4 seasons and had no problems with dog hairs and motors. Segway different story

What is dead?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭RainInSummer

Getting the 'Wheel motor overloaded' and 'Wheel motor blocked' errors on the left wheel of my Husqvarna 430X. When I restarted the mower I got a squealing noise for a few seconds which went away. It ran for an hour then kicked the errors again.

Anyone else experienced this? I recall there was an issue years ago with the wheel motors being prone to packing in on the older Husqs.

Four years old FWIW.

Nothing visually wrong anyways, I might disassemble tomorrow though for a deeper dive just in case.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭denismc

I think the motor is on the way out, it is possible to dissamble and regrease it but if you are getting those messages you are probably too late.

Replacing the motor is pretty straightforward but if one is on the way out then the other one isn't to far behind.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭RainInSummer

That was my thinking. I ordered one and will get the other next month.

Cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,790 ✭✭✭mp3ireland2

I have ordered a shelter for the mowbot and the base is in a tight enough spot in the first place so I was thinking of taking up the grass underneath and to the left and right of the shelter. It's in a narrow section as it was close to a plug.

Has anybody put the base on anything other than grass? I wasn't able to strim the grass at the rear of the station as I'd damage the wires so I'm trying to come up with an easy solution.

Apologeis for bad quality photo but it's zoomed in from a blink camera.

Thinking an astro turf mat? Or just a rubber mat?

Yes mines on bit of weed fabric and then gravel on top. Also some gravel in front of it compacted to prevent wheel tracks in mud as it comes in and out.

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭AidenL

Are all of your mowers still out and about?

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭Dozz

Yep

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Dutch Roll

Mine are in the shed a couple of weeks now for the long winter nap. Had intended to leave them out longer but there was about 200mm of water in the garden at times over the past while so I decided to pull the plug.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,538 ✭✭✭paddylonglegs

You could test the grass growth by pausing the mower for a week, but can’t imagine it getting much growth. Will find the time over the next week to wrap things up and give him his winter rest.

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭sligopaul

Mine was out till last weekend and created a muddy patch in one spot of the garden, mower needed a good clean but is now tucked away till next year

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Dazed2020

Any recommendations for a loop signal detector for a broken wire?

Ideally if there's one I don't need to bend down to test it at ground level.

I've used the AM radio method but I've never found it very successful/useful and my back is broken when I do it

Advertisement